PDA

View Full Version : Leach meets with UW officials in Seattle

j-6
12-03-2008, 09:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3741224

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach has met with Washington officials about the Huskies' soon-to-be vacant head coaching position, according to media reports in Texas and Seattle.

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal and Seattle Times reported that according to sources, Leach met with Washington officials on Monday in Seattle.

Texas Tech AD Gerald Myers said he's preparing to offer a contract extension and raise to Leach, according to the Avalanche-Journal. Myers would not confirm or deny that Leach had interviewed at Washington, but expected that Leach would tell him if he were a serious candidate for the job, according to the report.

"I think he would if he's serious about it," Myers said, according to the report. "I think he would let me know. So I don't know. He wouldn't have to tell me, but I haven't heard from anybody, the coaches or anybody else about that."

Myers said he's had contract numbers in mind for Leach, but added that Texas Tech's 11-1 record and share of the Big 12 South title had increased what Leach deserves, according to the Avalanche-Journal.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, definitely," Myers said, according to the report. "I think that was part of our reasoning [for waiting until December], to see exactly what the team accomplished, how they did, and I think it will have an impact on the numbers. We've always tried to compensate our coaches on what they accomplish."

Leach did not return calls seeking comment on Tuesday, the newspaper reported.

An Alaska Airlines employee privy to passenger lists confirmed that Leach and his wife arrived in Seattle on Monday afternoon and left Tuesday around noon, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Leach's agent, Gary O'Hagan, would not confirm that Leach interviewed with Washington.

"We're moving along and making some good progress, talking to lots of people, which is what we wanted," university president Mark Emmert said of the search, according to the Seattle Times. "I think we will be able to resolve this in the near future, but I'm not going to tell you what I mean by near future. But I'm really confident we are going to have a coach in place before the LSU game."

The winless Huskies (0-11) are looking for a new head coach to take over for Tyrone Willingham after the current season ends with Saturday's game against Cal.

================================================== ====

How much money would it take to leave an 11-1 program you built yourself to try and resurrect a doormat like U-Dub? One clue: June Jones left Hawaii when SMU gave him five years at 2M per season.

edit: nice move flying him there commercial, Huskies.

leemajors
12-03-2008, 10:40 AM
no reason for him not to listen if they are throwing a lot of cash his way.

Blake
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
How much money would it take to leave an 11-1 program you built yourself to try and resurrect a doormat like U-Dub? One clue: June Jones left Hawaii when SMU gave him five years at 2M per season.

edit: nice move flying him there commercial, Huskies.

June Jones left Hawaii because the facilities sucked.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/wac/2008-01-05-jones-resigns_N.htm

lebomb
12-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I bet he leaves TT.

j-6
12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
June Jones left Hawaii because the facilities sucked.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/wac/2008-01-05-jones-resigns_N.htm

900K annual raise to a state with no income tax and a lower cost of living didn't factor into that at all?

lebomb
12-03-2008, 12:17 PM
In Washington, Leach will be a god..............because there is nowhere for that program to go but up.

:lmao

tlongII
12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Would you rather live in Lubbock or Seattle?

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Since Leach still needs to negotiate a deal with Tech, it makes sense, if nothing else, to determine his market value while putting some pressure on Tech to worry about whether it will be able to retain his services.

It could be that Leach would seriously entertain the Washington job. UW has a historically significant program that has won consistently in the past and was winning consistently as recently as a few years ago. USC is obviously the 800 pound gorilla of the Pac-10, but as Oregon State proved this year (and Oregon last year before ravaged by injuries; Cal before that; Washington State before that), it is possible for other schools to jump into conference title contention -- something that is going to be difficult, at best, at Texas Tech. The chances to get to the BCS and think about national titles improve significantly if you're in a conference that you actually have a realistic shot to win.

At the same time, Leach has built that Tech program into a 2nd tier power -- good enough to beat either UT or OU in most years (but not both) and pretty clearly the 2nd best football program in Texas. Reportedly, he really likes Lubbock and talks regularly about a long-term future there. If Leach stays in Lubbock, he essentially writes his own ticket and can presumably stay at Tech for as long as he'd like. I don't think Leach is the sort of dude who feels much pressure -- he basically is who he is and little will change that -- but he's got less pressure in Lubbock than he'd face in Seattle, too.

I'd like to see Leach stay at Tech and continue to build that program, but I couldn't blame him if he left for UW, either.

IronMexican
12-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I hope he does, I would love some more power in the Pac. Does Washington even bring good recruits, though?

MajorMike
12-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Since Leach still needs to negotiate a deal with Tech, it makes sense, if nothing else, to determine his market value while putting some pressure on Tech to worry about whether it will be able to retain his services.

This is exactly what I am thinking. The more he looks around the more money ttek will be willing to pony up to make him stay.

chrisattsu
12-03-2008, 01:27 PM
I was in Lubbock last weekend for the game, and I asked a few people around there what they thought of Mike leaving.

They said that he would probably stay for the following reasons-

1. Mike has stamped his identity on the Raider football team. His love for pirates has become ingrained with the fans in Lubbock. I saw just as many Jolly Roger and Pirate flags as I did "Double T" flags. Not a lot of programs (especially ones that have been historically successful) are going to let a guy stamp his identity on the program.

2. Mike has things just the way he likes. He has some pressure, but it is not a major market, so he really only has to answer to the Lubbock Avalanche Journal.

3. He love Lubbock (or so he says in interviews)

DMX7
12-03-2008, 02:13 PM

lol, Seattle. Still, I don't know if he can find as many good player up there in Washington (at least the ones that will sign with him even though he's probably a fun coach to play for).

lebomb
12-03-2008, 02:34 PM
lol, Seattle. Still, I don't know if he can find as many good player up there in Washington (at least the ones that will sign with him even though he's probably a fun coach to play for).

Hmmmmm......I seem to remember Washington as ALWAYS being in the top 10 in the 90's. They get alot of players out of California and also Samoans.......those dudes are huge!!!!

IronMexican
12-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Hmmmmm......I seem to remember Washington as ALWAYS being in the top 10 in the 90's. They get alot of players out of California and also Samoans.......those dudes are huge!!!!

Most Samoans now now come to USC. USC does the most recruiting in Hawaii than any other school not named Hawaii.

lebomb
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Most Samoans now now come to USC. USC does the most recruiting in Hawaii than any other school not named Hawaii.

Yeah, but recruiting goes in cycles. Just because its that way now, doesnt mean it will be that way in 2yrs.

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2008, 02:58 PM

You can definitely win at Washington. And Washington has been a historically good program, with several national titles and many Pac 10 titles. There is some question about whether UW can rebound from the sorts of historical lows that they're now experiencing, but the fluidity of the Pac 10 says to me that it wouldn't be that terribly difficult (other than at Stanford, perhaps) to build a program that can at least win periodically.

I buy the notion that Leach loves Lubbock and that environmentally, he's going to be hard-pressed to match what he's built there. But if he's going to make a jump -- for money or any other reason -- this is the prime time for him to do so. Tech will likely be down next season and back to playing for mid-range bowl games until Leach can put together another group like the one he has now (I'd think Tech's ticketed for something more like 6-7 wins in 2009 and a lower-tier bowl game). Leach's stock won't be this high again for at least a few years, I suspect, and his currently-high profile will aid him in recruiting, whether he's in Lubbock, Seattle, or someplace else.

Blake
12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I bet he leaves TT.

this year?

I'll take your bet.

Blake
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM

you're asking the wrong question.

the question is "would Leach rather live in Lubbock or Seattle?"

lebomb
12-03-2008, 03:14 PM
this year?

I'll take your bet.

I bet ya.................uhhhhhhhhhhhh............Hmmmmm mmmmmmm???? :(

He will leave.

Blake
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I bet ya.................uhhhhhhhhhhhh............Hmmmmm mmmmmmm???? :(

He will leave.

If he leaves I will put "I love and support UTSA roadrunner football" in my sig

lebomb
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
If he leaves I will put "I love and support UTSA roadrunner football" in my sig

Ok DEAL!!! And if he doesnt, I will put "I love and support UTSA roadrunner football" in mine

:toast

Blake
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Ok DEAL!!! And if he doesnt, I will put "I love and support UTSA roadrunner football" in mine

:toast

I'd be crazy not to take this bet

fyatuk
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Personally, Lubbock. Don't like cold, don't like crowded cities.

Anti.Hero
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Recountttttttt

lebomb
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM

I think it get colder in Lubbock than it does in Seattle personally.

leemajors
12-03-2008, 04:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3741224

fyatuk
12-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I think it get colder in Lubbock than it does in Seattle personally.

Depends on if you're talking lows or highs. Lubbock has lower lows and higher highs, meaning the mornings are colder but the afternoons are warmer. At least in Winter. In Summer, Lubbock is warmer all the way around.

And I'm sorry, but average lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's during Summer is completely untenable. I mean, the LOW should be in the 70's in July and August, and least in my preference.

Also, much more moisture in Seattle, and cold + wet = SUCKAGE.

lebomb
12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Depends on if you're talking lows or highs. Lubbock has lower lows and higher highs, meaning the mornings are colder but the afternoons are warmer. At least in Winter. In Summer, Lubbock is warmer all the way around.

And I'm sorry, but average lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's during Summer is completely untenable. I mean, the LOW should be in the 70's in July and August, and least in my preference.

Also, much more moisture in Seattle, and cold + wet = SUCKAGE.

True............but, the summers in Seattle are almost unparalleled. There are beautiful mountains........cool weather, great food and music. In that aspect Seattle wins hands down. Also, who would not want to coach a football game were the stadium is next to the water? :worthy:

http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/march02/images/place_stadium.jpg

Blake
12-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Also, who would not want to coach a football game were the stadium is next to the water? :worthy:

sure, because the view of the water from the sidelines is outstanding

MajorMike
12-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Crowds, mild weather, fog and rain or dust storms, crime rates and isolation?
NFL and MLB or AFL2?
Space Needle or Buddy Holly Museum?

fyatuk
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
True............but, the summers in Seattle are almost unparalleled. There are beautiful mountains........cool weather, great food and music. In that aspect Seattle wins hands down. Also, who would not want to coach a football game were the stadium is next to the water? :worthy:

That's sort of my point. Having spent a summer up there before, I can't STAND the cool weather in the summer. I thrive on 90+F heat in the summer. I mean, I went swimming in August and thought my balls were going to freeze off.

I just can't do it. I'd have to wear at least a light jacket all year.

That's me personally. I realize I'm in the extreme minority for never wanting to see a temperature below 75 F.

fyatuk
12-03-2008, 05:08 PM
NFL and MLB or AFL2?

Dude. What is it about "personally" make people want to change your mind?

Can't stand crowds or fog, and Seattle's weather is too cold for me in the Summer. Don't mind dust or isolation, or crime rates really.

Can't afford sports, so irrelevant.

Acrophobic, so Buddy Holly Museum.

Why does it matter that I'd prefer Lubbock over Seattle?

Blake
12-03-2008, 05:23 PM
NFL and MLB or AFL2?

right because all the people that live in Seattle go to the Space Needle at least 3 times a day.

I've lived in SA a total of 30+ years and have been to the Tower three times.

I also lived in Lubbock for give or take 5 years and never saw any problems with crime that you don't find in any average sized city.
In fact, it seems like there is a cop for every block. They are everywhere.

I think college coaches are a little busy to be attending NFL games, and when you're making several million a year, you can go watch all the baseball you want in any city in the country during the offseason. What cities offer are practically non-factors.

It's like saying June Jones would rather be in Hawaii than in Dallas.

samikeyp
12-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Can't stand crowds or fog, and Seattle's weather is too cold for me in the Summer. Don't mind dust or isolation, or crime rates really.

People who try to do that are ignorant to know any better. No one has the right to try and change anyone's mind. People like Capt. I'm better than you tend to forget that!

As long as you like it, Fuck everyone else.

redraiderinfiji
12-03-2008, 06:26 PM
please god, dont take away leach!

I dont want to head to the gutter of the big 12. I dont want to be like the aggies!

FromWayDowntown
12-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Also, who would not want to coach a football game were the stadium is next to the water? :worthy:

http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/march02/images/place_stadium.jpg

Maybe UW will try to appeal to Leach's love of pirates by promising a brigantine moored to a dock right outside of the stadium.

Can't get that in Lubbock, I think.

samikeyp
12-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I can see Tech opening up the vaults to try and keep him. Hopefully they can. He is from Montana isn't he? Maybe being that close to home may appeal to him.

lebomb
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
please god, dont take away leach!

I dont want to be like the aggies!

bwahahahahahahaha :lmao

Mr Dio
12-04-2008, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't stop laughing if those ou wannabes lose Leach. :lmao

spursfor5
12-04-2008, 02:29 AM
It's interesting to think about how Leach's style of offense would fit in with the Pac-10. With only USC to compete with each year, he could do rather well.

I've also heard Leach's name being tossed around for the Auburn HC position. Amazing pass oriented offense vs. SEC defenses. That would be even more interesting.

Blake
12-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Maybe UW will try to appeal to Leach's love of pirates by promising a brigantine moored to a dock right outside of the stadium.

Can't get that in Lubbock, I think.

ok now if that happened, I would instantly become a Huskie fan

MajorMike
12-04-2008, 09:08 AM

Which instantly proves my point.

Blake
12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
what point?

fyatuk
12-04-2008, 10:08 AM
what point?

That's what I'm wondering. Only thing I could think of is that my opinion is not normal, which I never claimed it was.

FromWayDowntown
12-04-2008, 03:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3745354

Leach, Hill withdraw from consideration for Washington coaching job

SEATTLE -- Texas Tech coach Mike Leach and Fresno State coach Pat Hill have both withdrawn from consideration for the head coaching job at Washington.

Leach withdrew Thursday, a person close to the Red Raiders coach told ESPN.com. Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said earlier in the week that Leach hadn't sought permission for an interview and that he hadn't been contacted by Washington. Myers also said that Texas Tech was negotiating a contract extension with Leach, although Leach's agent denied that to ESPN's Joe Schad.

A representative of Auburn also reached out to Leach, through intermediaries, to gauge his interest in the opening on Tuesday night, a person familiar with the conversation told Schad.

Hill acknowledged in a statement released Thursday by Fresno State that he had interviewed with UW officials Saturday in Seattle, a day after the Bulldogs lost their regular-season finale at Boise State.

Hill wanted a decision from the Huskies before he led the Bulldogs back to practice to prepare for their ninth bowl appearance in 10 seasons. But he said Washington officials told him they weren't yet ready to announce their replacement for fired coach Tyrone Willingham.

cash459
12-04-2008, 05:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3745354

Leach, Hill withdraw from consideration for Washington coaching job

SEATTLE -- Texas Tech coach Mike Leach and Fresno State coach Pat Hill have both withdrawn from consideration for the head coaching job at Washington.

Leach withdrew Thursday, a person close to the Red Raiders coach told ESPN.com. Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said earlier in the week that Leach hadn't sought permission for an interview and that he hadn't been contacted by Washington. Myers also said that Texas Tech was negotiating a contract extension with Leach, although Leach's agent denied that to ESPN's Joe Schad.

A representative of Auburn also reached out to Leach, through intermediaries, to gauge his interest in the opening on Tuesday night, a person familiar with the conversation told Schad.

Hill acknowledged in a statement released Thursday by Fresno State that he had interviewed with UW officials Saturday in Seattle, a day after the Bulldogs lost their regular-season finale at Boise State.

Hill wanted a decision from the Huskies before he led the Bulldogs back to practice to prepare for their ninth bowl appearance in 10 seasons. But he said Washington officials told him they weren't yet ready to announce their replacement for fired coach Tyrone Willingham.

:lol @ people getting worked up for nothing. Leach is practically a God in Lubbock. Myers would break the bank to keep him there.

lebomb
12-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Damn you Blake!!!!

KewlKat00
12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
sarkisian, usc offensive coordinator, was just named head coach (breaking news during the texas-ucla basketball game)