PDA

View Full Version : Where was george hill?

anonymous source
12-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't get it. Hill has been a big part of our recent success and now he doesn't even play. Not only that vaughn was played over him. Whats pop thinking?

1usamotorsports.com
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't get it. Hill has been a big part of our recent success and now he doesn't even play. Not only that vaughn was played over him. Whats pop thinking?

EXACTLY what Im sayin . Sit manu out , that guy has been terrible .Hill and mason are a sick duo. :ihit

Indazone
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Rookie

anonymous source
12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Tolliver was sent down to the toros so Mahinmi can come up and he doesnt even dress. Pop should of just left Tolliver since he was playing pretty good until he was really going to play or at least let Mahinmi dress.

SenorSpur
12-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Hill wasn't being aggressive, however I don't agree with Pop sitting him down for the reaminder of the game. He's still one of the better defenders on the team and simply needed to be reminded to stay aggressive on the offensive end.

MaNu4Tres
12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Hill wasn't being aggressive, however I don't agree with Pop sitting him down for the reaminder of the game. He's still one of the better defenders on the team and simply needed to be reminded to stay aggressive on the offensive end.

How can you be aggressive when you don't have the ball offensively? He was on the court with Manu who called for multiple pick and rolls for himself. Not to mention Hill only got 6 minutes.

anonymous source
12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
i agree

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
We're getting ready to cut him and bring in Spanoulis.

Dex
12-03-2008, 11:21 AM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/achenry67/bang-head-on-keyboard.gif
This was me when Vaughn came into the game last night.

MaNu4Tres
12-03-2008, 11:34 AM
How can you be aggressive when you never get the ball because two guys wanna run the same play over and over for themselves? Just a question

I'm convinced Manu and Tony were stubborn with their pick and roll plays. When we face a good defensive team especially in the 4th quarter, you better believe teams will hedge every damn time especially against Manu and Tony. Even after the hedge they still waited for the weakside big man to come set a screen. This lead to many piss poor shots late in the shot clock.

SenorSpur
12-03-2008, 11:45 AM
How can you be aggressive when you never get the ball because two guys wanna run the same play over and over for themselves? Just a question

I'm convinced Manu and Tony were stubborn with their pick and roll plays. When we face a good defensive team especially in the 4th quarter, you better believe teams will hedge every damn time especially against Manu and Tony. Even after the hedge they still waited for the weakside big man to come set a screen. This lead to many piss poor shots late in the shot clock.

I realize Pop encourages his stars to be aggressive and shoot the ball, yet Manu and TP took the literal meaning. They both forced offense to the detriment of everyone else on the floor. It was one of the very few times I've seen the Spurs play selfish basketball. 2 against 5 is never a good idea. Even Kobe Bryant is starting to learn that.

Brazil
12-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah right it's TP & Manu fault if Hill has a bad game: they perturbate his karma.

jjktkk
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Not too worried, Pop always tinkers with the lineup/rotation, this time of year.

Fingaroll44
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
George Hill had a couple of mental lapses and missed some defensive assignments. Ya'll know Pop will have your ass in the dog house quick over lack of defensive intensity or focus. He got beat on a back screen real bad by Rip Hamilton i recall on one possession and Parker came back in. I knew we might not see Hill anymore for the night. He's a rookie and didnt have any focus. It's harder than what people think to play @ a high level mentally and physically every single night. That's part of what being a pro is about and rookies have to learn by experience unfortunately.

timaios
12-03-2008, 12:48 PM

I agree with Pop on that one.
Pop send a message to Hill. The next game, Hill knows he needs to be more aggressive.
Pop is testing his mental toughness.
I think Hill will respond well.

SenorSpur
12-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Pop send a message to Hill. The next game, Hill knows he needs to be more aggressive.

With TP struggling, I just thought Hill deserved another opportunity to attack the Pistons. Inserting Vaughn wasn't the answer - not even close.

boutons_
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Hill seems to have turned into a rookie, instead of a rookie sensation, now that Tony and Manu are back.

He now has to learn how to contribute in the context of a a full roster. He clearly has a long way to go, not physically (that's proven) but mentally.

MaNu4Tres
12-03-2008, 01:00 PM

How can you be aggressive when you play 6 minutes and never get the ball?

E20
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
From what Kori said, Hill played pretty badly in the playing time he was given which forced Pop to yank him out and use JV.

IMO, there is no doubting that with the return of Manu and Tony, it has sort of affected the way Mason and Hil play and it will take some games for everybody to gel and get to know eachother.

benefactor
12-03-2008, 01:06 PM
We're getting ready to cut him and bring in Spanoulis.
Yup...Bourousis and Sandizke will be coming with him.

:lobt2: baby......

timaios
12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
With TP struggling, I just thought Hill deserved another opportunity to attack the Pistons. Inserting Vaughn wasn't the answer - not even close.

Not the answer for that game, but the answer for the season.
If Hill is doing nothing like yesterday, he knows Vaughn is here.
It's a coach move to wake up Hill.
Hill needs to fight for the backup point guard place.

Nobody
12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Too many guards for the positions. I would like to see finley and udoka sat permanently. A tight rotation of TP/Manu/Hill/Mason/Bowen playing the rest of the season will pay huge dividends. Getting pissed and pulling hill to rip him is OK, but not to sit him for Vaughn. The kid has to learn. He made some mistakes early on as the starter but flourished because he was able to continue playing. His role has changed and it will take some getting used to. Ime/Finley/Vaughn need to become ball boys and let Mason/Hill learn their new role and have it solidified come playoff time... no way we win unless hill and mason are comfortable in their backup roles, have a rythm, and confidence.

timaios
12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
How can you be aggressive when you play 6 minutes and never get the ball?

He's the PG. He has the ball at the beginning of the possessions.
He is a backup PG, he needs to do something with little minutes.
6 min = something like 10 possessions. He was 0/0. He took 0 shot. He had 0 ast and 2 reb.
Not what Pop wants.

sam1617
12-03-2008, 01:15 PM

In the 4th they really were terrible about it too. Either it was Manu or Tony dominating the ball to no effect, or it was Timmy taking 8 seconds in the post before finally making a move...

Fingaroll44
12-03-2008, 01:31 PM
it wasnt his offense that got him sat

Anti.Hero
12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm amazed Parker was able to survive the Pop rookie treatment.

honestfool84
12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
i sure am glad POP has a spurstalk account, so he can listen to all the suggestions of the best fans in the NBA.

i don't know how we would have won any championships without the suggestions and comments of spurs fans.

http://images.zwani.com/graphics/funny_pictures/images/funny-pictures119.jpg

thanks fans!

this is for all the fans who think they know more than POP.

Blake
12-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I think it's Pop's usual December tinkering.

Bonner started last night and will probably get a DNP sometime soon.

Kobayagi
12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Yup...Bourousis and Sandizke will be coming with him.

:lobt2: baby......

Don't forget Shermadinis and Mavrokefanoulis or whatever their names are.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Just a bad game where Pop tried several new things, not a very big deal. The big problem was Finley getting 34 and Bowen getting only 16 minutes. The Spurs were outscored by 9 during Finely's 34 minutes, and outscored Detroit by 11 in Bowen's 16 minutes. Like Blake said it's just usual Pop tinkering, I sure wish the Suns had a coach as good at tinkering as Pop is.

kace
12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
till now, the spurs had three options: tim, tony and manu. each of them used to play more on less on isolation or PnR with teamates shooting the 3's. they played like this because no one outside them was able to do something useful with the ball in his hand: so it was the best for the team and it's what pop asked.

i really think that last night, manu and especially tony were trying to make the ball move into several hands but no one was able to do something good with it so they get back to their old style. i really think it's the poor play of their teamates that made them try to force things. not the contrary. even if i suppose they'll do better with time with their new teamates.

jayc23
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Hill also forced a turnover on Iverson and made an incredible hustle play to stop a fast break... Vaughn drove the team into the ground... pulling hill is the right message... sitting him for the game and throwing the game by putting Vaughn in is just not good.

Manufan909
12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Too many guards for the positions. I would like to see finley and udoka sat permanently. A tight rotation of TP/Manu/Hill/Mason/Bowen playing the rest of the season will pay huge dividends. Getting pissed and pulling hill to rip him is OK, but not to sit him for Vaughn. The kid has to learn. He made some mistakes early on as the starter but flourished because he was able to continue playing. His role has changed and it will take some getting used to. Ime/Finley/Vaughn need to become ball boys and let Mason/Hill learn their new role and have it solidified come playoff time... no way we win unless hill and mason are comfortable in their backup roles, have a rythm, and confidence.

Fuck yes, but Ime/Finley need to duke it out for the 6th guard spot, you can't have 5 people manning 3 postions, that's not enough. Maybe it could if Manu, Mason, Hill, and Tony all got 30 minutes a night, but Pops love of Finley is too great. I wish I lived in an alternate reality where the rotation this year was Tony, Mason, Bowen, Tim, Splitter, and then Hill, Manu, Gist, Scola, Ian, with Ime and Hairston as the odd men out. Fuck me, that is an awesome team.

Hopefully Hill, Mason, Ian, and Gist are enough for an '10 championship/repeat.
:flag:

Capt Bringdown
12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
There seems to be a double standard. Manu is allowed to stink up the court the last 2 games, why isn't he benched?

milkyway21
12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Not the answer for that game, but the answer for the season.
If Hill is doing nothing like yesterday, he knows Vaughn is here.
It's a coach move to wake up Hill.
Hill needs to fight for the backup point guard place.

:lol BENOed for not playing good for 6 minutes over of helping us win games for 5 consecutive times?

Hello!!!!!!!!! :cell

the sooner we play them TOGETHER the sooner they merge and gel. The more you bench them the longer they know their weak points.

timaios
12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
:lol BENOed for not playing good for 6 minutes over of helping us win games for 5 consecutive times?

Hello!!!!!!!!! :cell

the sooner we play them TOGETHER the sooner they merge and gel. The more you bench them the longer they know their weak points.

Pop's style.

superbigtime
12-04-2008, 02:08 AM
i sure am glad POP has a spurstalk account, so he can listen to all the suggestions of the best fans in the NBA.

i don't know how we would have won any championships without the suggestions and comments of spurs fans.

http://images.zwani.com/graphics/funny_pictures/images/funny-pictures119.jpg

thanks fans!

this is for all the fans who think they know more than POP.

I'm not afraid to put the obvious in black and white. Hill averages over 20 ppg over 4 game stretch in Tony's absence before Spurs lost to the Rockets. Playing pretty good, right? Hell, even ESPN noticed. Well, let's trash this rookie's confidence and take him out of any offensive rhythm by barely playing him DESPITE playing great defense on Iverson 1st half. Iverson even was noticeably bothered by the kid. So, Put in JV instead. Hopefully TP can boost this kid's shaken confidence now. What a stupid move.

He plays JV, a guy who would have ZERO minutes with ANY other team, when Spurs have 60-50 lead and STICKS WITH IT like the stubborn idiot he is 2 and a half minutes into the 4th QUARTER!!! JV does not belong in this league. Did you notice how Iverson didn't even bother to guard him and began stealing the ball at will in the 3rd quarter. This idiotic move is basically what lost the game. Spurs never recovered after losing the lead they had earned DESPITE Pop's moronic starting lineup and helter skelter substitutions. You can blow it off all you want and scoff at me for "thinking I know more than Pop." But a circle is round, and the coaching against Detroit was a fucking JOKE. And I don't really feel like paying $250 any more for these tickets to watch the stupid coach give the damn game away. And then calling the team out in the press afterwards.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2008, 02:26 AM
if hill gets the parker treatment he panned out quicker, then there be no need for parker down the road where he might bolt during FA anyway....thats when you trade his ass get back ur investment.....and resign ginoboli to the minimum or tell him to gtfo.

parker for batum+oden? or aldridge + batum? do it now

Brazil
12-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm amazed Parker was able to survive the Pop rookie treatment.

Oh come on we all know that TP is arrogant with a huge ego he wouldn't accept this kind of treatment without complaining... It's like imagining a threat of J. Kidd trading, with his ass fucking mentality he would have exploded making declarations to the press asking for a trade.

mrspurs
12-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Tolliver was sent down to the toros so Mahinmi can come up and he doesnt even dress. Pop should of just left Tolliver since he was playing pretty good until he was really going to play or at least let Mahinmi dress.

Another reason Pop isnt a god in my book.

mrspurs
12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Very stupid move not to play Hill. I dont care who runs the show. Not using Hill was just an excuse for Pop to get pissed off at this veterans. Another one of his dumb stunts that lost us a game. Not to mention not hitting our 3s. The only way we win games anyways. For the last few seasons, it has become quite boring watching us play. The only place that really matters on the court is from beyond the arc. And this year is even worse.

mrspurs
12-04-2008, 10:21 AM

We could have used defense to win that game.