PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Courtside, Where We're Neither Soft Nor Intimidated

duncan228
12-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Jeff McDonald: Courtside, where we're neither soft nor intimidated (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/12/jeff_mcdonald.html)

A few observations from the Spurs' 89-77 loss to Detroit, while wondering how the Spurs are going to fare against the team that actually got the better of the Iverson-Billups deal ...

* We fully believe Gregg Popovich's sincerity when he says Manu Ginobili is going to be a starter "in perpetuity." We also wonder how long it will be before Popovich can't help himself, and makes Ginobili a Sixth Man again. We also know Roger Mason is going to have to score better than six points for Ginobili-as-a-starter to work.

* That said, we'd urge patience with Popovich's latest round of lineup tinkering. Mason has to learn how to play with Ginobili and Tony Parker, and vice versa. Mason played 30 minutes last night, about what he had been averaging without Parker and Ginobili available, but managed to squeeze off just six shots. That's not enough.

* Ginobili still isn't quite right. He swears he has no pain in his surgically repaired ankle, but it does stiffen up on him when he gets cold. You can see him hopping around and stretching out on the sidelines when he's not in the game, in attempts to stay warm. That's one reason Popovich elected to start him.

* Kwame Brown is really, really bad at basketball.

* Popovich loves George Hill, but he isn't as fall-all-over-yourself giddy about him as most fans seem to be. Asked before Tuesday's game about the probability of Hill seeing his minutes reduced with Parker back, Pop said, "You can probably bet on it." The coach kept his word there, too, playing Hill seven minutes and giving key second-half minutes to Jacque Vaughn. Pop's goal for Hill is to have him ready to play a large role in the rotation by the time the playoffs roll around. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yuixafun
12-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Denver at home will be a huge challenge for this Spurs team, it's not the Nuggets of the past.

We probably lose, and theres no shame in that. I'm curious to see how the Spurs respond though after that stinker at home. If they show that dog in em and scrap I'll be happy.

But I'm hoping Manu decides to go nuts.

z0sa
12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Denver at home will be a huge challenge for this Spurs team, it's not the Nuggets of the past.

We probably lose, and theres no shame in that. I'm curious to see how the Spurs respond though after that stinker at home. If they show that dog in em and scrap I'll be happy.

But I'm hoping Manu decides to go nuts.

I'm hoping he plays like a runningback

DROB4EVER
12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I hope someone shows Tim where the weight room is so he can use it at least 1 time before he retires! The man needed to get stronger and he never has.

Manufan909
12-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I hope someone shows Tim where the weight room is so he can use it at least 1 time before he retires! The man needed to get stronger and he never has.

Duncan228 explosion in 5,4,3,2...

duncan228
12-03-2008, 05:40 PM
The man needed to get stronger and he never has.

Duncan is stronger than he looks and he has always worked at it. You may not see it because it's not the 'mirror muscles'. Watch him battle under the basket against guys that out weigh him, you can see it there.

He rarely takes more than a few weeks off in the summer to regroup before he's back working.

Part of this season's training program:

(Duncan) returned this fall leaner and stronger, having spent part of the summer throwing tractor tires as part of a new training program developed by the team’s strength-and-conditioning staff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmhsxlJ_eH7sXaS1O6CyuhG8vLYF?slug=jy-spurs111908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The ST thread on the article:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110114

benefactor
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Popovich loves George Hill, but he isn't as fall-all-over-yourself giddy about him as most fans seem to be. Asked before Tuesday's game about the probability of Hill seeing his minutes reduced with Parker back, Pop said, "You can probably bet on it." The coach kept his word there, too, playing Hill seven minutes and giving key second-half minutes to Jacque Vaughn. Pop's goal for Hill is to have him ready to play a large role in the rotation by the time the playoffs roll around. Nothing more, nothing less.

...and costing us important wins in the process by playing a useless JV. Sticking with this strategy is flat out suicide.

Thompson
12-03-2008, 06:39 PM
...and costing us important wins in the process by playing a useless JV. Sticking with this strategy is flat out suicide.

Yeah, I think even a rookie error-filled night with Hill is better than your average production from Vaughn. At least Hill will be learning. Vaughn should not see the court again unless there are injuries; he needs to transition to IR/ bench coach.

Anti.Hero
12-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Not having home court advant. last year worked out great.

Sean Cagney
12-04-2008, 01:18 AM

Yet he has two MVP's and three finals MVP's without getting stronger, I would say he did something right!!! Best PF EVER!

Russ
12-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Popovich loves George Hill, but he isn't as fall-all-over-yourself giddy about him as most fans seem to be. Asked before Tuesday's game about the probability of Hill seeing his minutes reduced with Parker back, Pop said, "You can probably bet on it." The coach kept his word there, too, playing Hill seven minutes and giving key second-half minutes to Jacque Vaughn. Pop's goal for Hill is to have him ready to play a large role in the rotation by the time the playoffs roll around. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hill seems to be a straw that can stir the drink. It would be nice to see more of him when the team stagnates and lacks fire.

You also have to wonder how Hill will react if he goes from rookie talk of the league to forgotten man. Can he handle it without sulking, causing problems or losing confidence?

jjktkk
12-04-2008, 03:29 AM

Please reframe from snorting modeling glue before posting.

mrspurs
12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the read 228, but Mcdonald made no sense this time. Nothing he said in this article is anything we dont know already.