PDA

View Full Version : Avery suspended indefinitely for comments related to ex-girlfriends

misterx91578
12-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Avery suspended indefinitely for comments related to ex-girlfriends

ESPN.com news services
Updated: December 3, 2008, 3:23 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print

DALLAS -- Of all the cajoling, snide remarks and other stunts Sean Avery pulled on the way to becoming the biggest pest in hockey, never had he gone so far that the NHL believed it had to suspend him -- until Tuesday.

Avery was punished indefinitely by commissioner Gary Bettman for using a crude term about his former girlfriends now dating other hockey players. Bettman acted within hours, in time to keep Avery out of the Dallas Stars' game against the Calgary Flames on Tuesday night.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3740267

Obstructed_View
12-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow. I'm sure no athlete in the history of sports has ever used the term "sloppy seconds" before.

jack sommerset
12-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I would have loved for him to play in that game last night.NHL sure has turned into pussies.

lefty
12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Avery is a douchebag, but suspending him for that?

Wow :lmao

chode_regulator
12-03-2008, 07:11 PM
i thought the nhl was supposed to be a real mans sport. at least tahts what i always hear. football players are pussy and hockey players rule.

at least the nfl doesnt suspend people for basically calling ex gf's a slut

jack sommerset
12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao
He is officailly my favorite hockey player. sloppy seconds.

lefty
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Stars LW Avery issues apology for televised comments about ex-girlfriends

Associated Press
Updated: December 3, 2008, 8:48 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
DALLAS -- Suspended Dallas Stars agitator Sean Avery flew to New York on Wednesday for a meeting with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, and gave a likely sample of what he'll say by apologizing for comments about his former girlfriends.

Avery
"I would like to sincerely apologize for my off-color remarks to the press yesterday from Calgary," Avery said. "I should not have made those comments and I recognize that they were inappropriate.

"It was a bad attempt to build excitement for the game, but I am now acutely aware of how hurtful my actions were. I caused unnecessary embarrassment to my peers as well as people I have been close with in the past.

"I apologize for offending the great fans of the NHL, the commissioner, my teammates, my coaching staff and the Dallas Stars management and ownership. As many of you know, I like to mix it up on and off the ice from time to time, but understand that this time I took it too far."

The statement was first reported by SportingNews.com.

Avery got himself in trouble Tuesday when he used a crude expression to describe former girlfriends now dating other hockey players while speaking to reporters. Hours later, Bettman suspended him indefinitely for making "inappropriate public comments, not pertaining to the game."

The hearing will be Thursday morning. Stars co-general manager Brett Hull also flew to New York on Wednesday to represent the club.

"Until Mr. Bettman and the NHL decide what the right punishment is, we're kind of just waiting," Hull said.

The NHL didn't have a timetable for when a decision would be made after the meeting. Avery already has missed two games, in Calgary on Tuesday night and in Edmonton on Wednesday night. The soonest he could return is Friday at home against Colorado.

His absence especially hurts because Dallas has been fighting injuries all season. A lack of healthy bodies has turned last season's Western Conference finalists into one of the worst teams in the NHL thus far this season.

"It's something that's hard to tolerate knowing the situation we're in," Hull said.

Over his seven seasons in the NHL, Avery has grown into the role as hockey's most-hated player, a title he relishes. Yet for all he's done to annoy foes on and off the ice, this is the first time he's been suspended by the league.

This incident took less than 30 seconds.

With reporters in Calgary waiting to speak with Avery about disparaging remarks he made last month about Flames star Jarome Iginla, he walked over to the group, confirmed that cameras were rolling, then said: "I'm just going to say one thing. I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada. I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends). I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight."

Avery's former girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert of the television show "24" and the movie "Old School," is dating Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf. She also had been romantically linked to Montreal defenseman Mike Komisarek.

"I completely support the league's decision to suspend Sean Avery," Stars owner Tom Hicks said in a statement. "Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have. This organization will not tolerate such behavior, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."

Biernutz
12-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Pro Hockey is finally getting some prime time run and what did it take to do it. "Sloppy Seconds" :lmao

Obstructed_View
12-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Guy needs some lessons from Shaq about how to generate pre-game controversy.

BacktoBasics
12-04-2008, 11:36 AM
What exactly did he say wrong? Pro sports is getting ridiculous.

Obstructed_View
12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
What exactly did he say wrong? Pro sports is getting ridiculous.

Google "Avery"

lefty
12-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Google "Avery"

I did that and all I got was " Avery Johnson sucks "

Whisky Dog
12-05-2008, 02:27 AM
This dude is a tool.

But suspending him for that is fucking nuts.

The NHL is a joke and only worth watching in the playoffs.

DarkReign
12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
This dude is a tool.

I would have much rather the NHL didnt suspend him and let the Stars do it themselves.

That would have been much better for this entire situation.

Then you couldnt blame the league, youd question the organization.

And I cant name one good damn reason you want a player wearing your colors making dumbass statements like that. The Stars ownership, management, coaching and players are all waaaaaaaaay better than that clown with more class in their jockstrap.

Did you hear what Turco said about it? "Well, I hope hes a man about it and doesnt walk away."

Modano with similar comments. What do you think Morrow thinks? Even Steve Ott, asshole pest that he is, leaves that shit on the ice. Its a game.

Talking shit about people's wives, family and girlfriends is OK and fair game when you're competing against one another on the field of play.

Not calling over cameras, asking for their attention, and then making unprovoked comments about another players personal life.

Avery is trash. Good player when he isnt seeking the limelight. I knew this signing would be bad for Dallas and it is. Watch for Dallas to buy him out and take the extended cap hit to get rid of him for good, unless he promises to be a really, really good boy.

DarkReign
12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
This dude is a tool.

What other American sporting league would allow players to make comments about other players personal lives like that?

Keep in mind, in the past Avery thought it would be funny to make fun of Saku Koivu because he had cancer and he wasnt suspended.

This isnt the first time for this nitwit.

lefty
12-05-2008, 11:44 AM
What other American sporting league would allow players to make comments about other players personal lives like that?

Keep in mind, in the past Avery thought it would be funny to make fun of Saku Koivu because he had cancer and he wasnt suspended.

This isnt the first time for this nitwit.

I'm a Habs fan and I didn't know about his comment on Saku's cancer.

Damn, Avery is definitely a !@#$%^%$$#

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Didn't TO imply that Garcia was a homosexual a few years ago?

The suspension is a joke, DR.

Obstructed_View
12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Avery also called Georges Laroqcue a monkey if memory serves.

Findog
12-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Avery also called Georges Laroqcue a monkey if memory serves.

FWIW he denied making those cancer and monkey remarks. Whether you take his denials at face value is another story.

I think it was ridiculous to suspend him for what he said. I'm sure if anybody else had said something along those lines in an effort to generate buzz for a game or psych out another player, it would've passed without this spectacle. And a spectacle is what it has become because they suspended him. If some other obscure hockey player had done this, would it merit a post on Gawker or a camera crew from Entertainment Tonight?

Seems to me that this is more of a suspension for the guy's entire body of work than for his remarks. If the Stars feel like this guy is a locker room cancer and more trouble than he's worth, they can buy him out and eat the cost on the FA signing. That's a separate issue in my mind than SloppySecondsGate.

Obstructed_View
12-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I think the Stars are blowing it out of proportion in order to get rid of a guy they don't want and maybe save a few bucks in the process. Too bad Marty Turco didn't say it.

jack sommerset
12-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I think the Stars are blowing it out of proportion in order to get rid of a guy they don't want and maybe save a few bucks in the process. Too bad Marty Turco didn't say it.

No shit. Stars are acting like a bunch of pussies. This might not be right...I thought I heard Modano say something like he should just take a front office job so he can get away from Avery. If he did say that = fucking gay. If not my bad.