PDA

View Full Version : Why Are The Suns Struggling At Home?

duncan228
12-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Why are the Suns struggling at home? (http://www.examiner.com/x-1407-Phoenix-Suns-Examiner~y2008m12d2-Why-are-the-Suns-struggling-at-home)
by Josh Shelton

The Phoenix Suns are one of only two franchises that have won 30 or more games at home in each of the past four seasons in the NBA. The rivaled San Antonio Spurs are the other.

Why then are the Suns having so much difficulty finding a way to pull out wins at the US Airways Center this season? In nine home games thus far, Phoenix is 4-5, and have lost three of their last four on their own hardwood.

In their five home losses the Suns are being outscored by an average of 12 points, have only held one opponent under 100, and scored over 100 themselves for the first time in Sunday’s 117-109 loss to New Jersey (also the most points they’ve given up in a game all season).

The four wins have come against Memphis, Detroit, and Portland twice. Not horrible opponents, but consider the fact Detroit was on their fourth game of a four-game west coast trip, Portland has lost to the Suns eleven times in a row, and Memphis is, well…the Grizzlies. Not entirely convincing, especially since the Suns have lost their last two games to the New Jersey Nets, who haven’t won in Phoenix since 1993, and the Miami Heat who are just 4-6 on the road.

Is the new introduction video not getting the team hyped up enough? Is Cedric Ceballos (courtside MC) not getting the crowd as crazed as years past? Has the decreasing number of Gorilla dunks finally taken its toll? Or maybe its owner Robert Sarver’s abandonment of the foam finger that made the Purple Palace a repetitive stomping ground.

In a season that new head coach Terry Porter promised a change in style, one that was more focused on defense, and half court offense, Phoenix is giving up more points per game than last year, and are dead last in the league in turnovers. Maybe it’s just me, but I thought a half court offense was supposed to be less prone to turning the ball over.

The Suns are looking for answers, and they seem to be getting more and more frustrated with each other, rather than gaining more and more confidence in themselves. Amare Stoudemire has openly criticized the offense, feeling it should be focused around him more often. Steve Nash and Raja Bell have openly criticized it for being too slow, and not catering to the type of team they are. All the while, new head coach Terry Porter has stuck to the growing pains mentality, and that things will come around as the players continue to grasp it. That is if they put down their guard and choose to do so.

In a season that Porter promised a change in style, one that was more focused on defense, and half court offense, Phoenix is giving up more points per game than last year, and are dead last in the league in turnovers. Maybe it’s just me, but I thought a half court offense was supposed to be less prone to turning the ball over.

Surprisingly though, the consistent domination at home is not the only trend being broke from years past by the Suns. In the previous few seasons, Phoenix has been horrible in the second game of back-to-back contests on the road. This year, they’ve won the second game in all three of their back-to-backs on the road, and swept two of the three sets (the only loss was at Chicago without Shaquille O’Neal). Since they’ve gone the way of the buffalo at home, at least their stamina on the road has been a pleasant surprise.

So while the Suns continue to try and find their offensive rhythm, their defensive fortitude, and give Stoudemire the ball enough to shut him up, the schedule just gets tougher. After going 3-2 against a fairly easy schedule to finish November, Phoenix starts December with their fourth back-to-back on the road at New Orleans on Wednesday, and then at Dallas Thursday. Here’s hoping they pick their swagger back up along the way.

Reggie Miller
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
It's the same reason why Johnny can't read.

sribb43
12-03-2008, 04:01 PM
So is Shaq sitting out tonight or against Dallas since he doesnt play b2b's

phyzik
12-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't care what it is but I'm loving every minute of their meltdown. All those sore ass loser fans deserve this.

Anti.Hero
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I thought the title said "Why are the Spurs struggling at home" :depressed

JamStone
12-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Why?

Because god is amused by Suns fans suffering.