PDA

View Full Version : Mom and Pop mini golf course being sued by Monster Cable

IceColdBrewski
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.htmlforums.com/images/smilies/sadbanana.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250335844365

PM5K
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
How silly, I never have and never will buy any Monster products, however that has nothing to do with this, I'm just not a fucking sucker...

Slomo
12-03-2008, 04:45 PM
How silly, I never have and never will buy any Monster products, however that has nothing to do with this, I'm just not a fucking sucker...

:tu +1

Viva Las Espuelas
12-03-2008, 04:47 PM
this is about as stupid as spike lee suing spike tv from using the name. that jackass literally held a whole channel from launching. what a tool.

BacktoBasics
12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
This is the kind of shit that makes me hate this country

IceColdBrewski
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Looks like they had their way with Monster.com after bending them over the table.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/11/08/BUG1J9N3C61.DTL&type=business

A monster by any other name might get you sued by Monster Cable Products Inc.

The Brisbane maker of electronics accessories has filed lawsuits and trademark infringement claims against dozens of companies for using "monster'' in names, products or services.

The TV series "Monster Garage'' and the Monster Seats above Fenway Park's left field wall have been targeted in what Monster Cable officials say is an aggressive legal strategy to protect the firm's good name.

"We have an obligation to protect our trademark; otherwise we'd lose it, '' said Monster Cable founder Noel Lee.

Critics like Victor Petrucci, founder of a small, family-owned online clothing store called MonsterVintage.com in Camas, Wash., say Monster Cable is going overboard.

"They strong-arm anybody who uses the word 'monster,' '' said Petrucci, who is fighting a lawsuit that Monster Cable filed against his firm in August. "I sell used clothing. How can I damage them at all?''

Petrucci drew public attention with a big protest sign attached to a truck outside the main parking lot during a 49ers game shortly after Monster Cable bought the naming rights to Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

Monster Cable legal counsel David Tognotti said it has registered more than 50 trademarks covering a wide range of products, including furniture, food and clothing. "We've spent millions of dollars as well as countless hours building our brand,'' he said.

Tognotti is preparing for a trial against the Discovery Channel over the popular TV series "Monster Garage,'' which he claims uses images of "provocative women'' and an iron cross logo that could tarnish Monster Cable's image.

With MonsterVintage, Tognotti said he tried to stop Petrucci's use of a logo that is very similar to Monster Cable's.

"We called them and said, 'We'd like you to stop,' '' Tognotti said. "He continued to ignore us, so we filed a lawsuit in federal court.''

According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and court records, Monster Cable has gone after other notable monsters:

-- Walt Disney Co., which distributed Pixar Animation Studios' hit film "Monsters, Inc.''

-- Bally Gaming International Inc. for its Monster Slots.

-- Hansen Beverage Co. for a Monster Energy drink.

-- The Chicago Bears, whose nickname is "Monsters of the Midway.''

In most cases, Monster Cable has been able to work out a settlement or nominal licensing agreement, Tognotti said.

For example, a deal is in the works with the owner of the Fenway Park Monster Seats trademark that will result in some seats being made available for charitable purposes at Monster and Fenway parks.

In 1999, Monster Cable sued the company it has been most mistaken for, Monster.com., the Maynard, Mass., online job-hunting site. The companies settled in February 2000, but agreed to keep the terms confidential.

However, trademark law attorney Anthony Malutta, who once defended a client in a case filed by Monster Cable, noted that Monster.com's site has a link to Monster Cable, not the other way around.

Monster Cable's policing of its trademark strengthens its legal rights and scares off would-be monsters, said Malutta, of Townsend and Townsend and Crew LLP of San Francisco.

However, that tactic might "hurt them if they go after everybody who uses 'monster,' like a little clothing company that really is not a source of confusion at all,'' he said.

E-mail Benny Evangelista at [email protected].

BacktoBasics
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Oh and go ahead and save your predictable "then go live in another country" line of arrogant bullshit

BacktoBasics
12-03-2008, 05:02 PM
These fuckheads are probably making more money off their legal fights than their actual product.

PM5K
12-03-2008, 05:07 PM
These fuckheads are probably making more money off their legal fights than their actual product.

Not with their markups.

I. Hustle
12-03-2008, 05:10 PM
If you don't like it then go live in some other country

BacktoBasics
12-03-2008, 05:13 PM
If you don't like it then go live in some other countryThats not very nice pal.:depressed

I. Hustle
12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Thats not very nice pal.:depressed

I'm sorry. You can stay.

Obstructed_View
12-03-2008, 05:31 PM
That company has made gajillions of dollars because millions of people believe that electricity sounds better through wires that are really big. Why wouldn't that same company expect people to believe that anything with the word Monster in it threatens their business?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Some little guys do fight back:

Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's, in form or in function, the better. . .

. . . I say this because my observation has been that Monster Cable typically operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation, expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing agreement. Your client then uses this collection of licensing agreements to convince others under similar threat to accede to its demands. Let me be clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me. You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction. It may be that my inability to see the pragmatic value of settling frivolous claims is a deep character flaw, and I am sure a few of the insurance carriers for whom I have done work have seen it that way; but it is how I have done business for the last quarter-century and you are not going to change my mind. If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I will hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak more precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish. Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/blue-jeans-strikes-back

desflood
12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
That company has made gajillions of dollars because millions of people believe that electricity sounds better through wires that are really big. Why wouldn't that same company expect people to believe that anything with the word Monster in it threatens their business?
Small penis forum.

I. Hustle
12-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Small penis forum.

You are a chick?!

desflood
12-03-2008, 05:59 PM
You are a chick?!
As all three of the children who came out of my vaginer will tell you.

I. Hustle
12-03-2008, 06:04 PM
As all three of the children who came out of my vaginer will tell you.

Post somewhere else so I can say it again.

CuckingFunt
12-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Small penis forum.

It's not just penis compensation. My otherwise reasonably intelligent aunt has been talked into getting the bullshit Monster cables and surge protector with every upgrade she's made.

IceColdBrewski
12-03-2008, 06:12 PM
It's not just penis compensation. My otherwise reasonably intelligent aunt has been talked into getting the bullshit Monster cables and surge protector with every upgrade she's made.

Tell her to try monoprice.com next time. I'm sure she'd rather pay only 3 dollars instead of the $60 that monster charges for the same 3ft HDMI cable.

boutons_
12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
The more lawyers there are (USA has 90% of the lawyers on the planet), the more litigation there is.

The more doctors there are, the bigger the national health bill.

So if we could eliminate 50% of the lawyers and doctors, the country would be much better off. :)

AlamoSpursFan
12-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Heard this tune a couple of times before...

Alamo Rent-A-Car suing to keep us from calling our bowl game the Alamo Bowl, and Texas Roadhouse suing True Blue Texas Roadhouse in La Vernia.

Fuck corporate lawyers. (Except the ones who work for Pepsico, of course. The rest are worthless shitheads. )