PDA

View Full Version : Help with a low cholesterol diet...

chode_regulator
12-03-2008, 06:39 PM
went to the doc today at the VA. they said i have high cholesterol

total level is 258, triglyceride is 189 hdl is 43 and ldl is 177. they said the only one i have tha is considered good is the hdl at 43. they told me to go on a low cholesterol diet for three months andthey would re evaluate me.

any one have any good diets. ive googled a little but am looking for some real world feedback on what works and doesnt work. or is it just trial and error til you find one that works for your body?

lefty
12-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't eat.....

No, but seriously, avoid junk food , avoid junk food, avoid junk food and exercise.

Groundbreaking? No

But true

I. Hustle
12-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Eat nothing but Cheerios

chode_regulator
12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Don't eat.....

No, but seriously, avoid junk food , avoid junk food, avoid junk food and exercise.

Groundbreaking? No

But true

hnmmmm....i was looking fro a little more than that. i dont really eat junk food. i rarely eat mcdonalds etc, dont eat chocolates and candies. i was floored when seh told me this. i would have thought that all the physicals i got while in the corps they would check these things, and if they did, no one even came close to mentiong my cholesterol levels.

ashbeeigh
12-03-2008, 06:51 PM
hnmmmm....i was looking fro a little more than that. i dont really eat junk food. i rarely eat mcdonalds etc, dont eat chocolates and candies. i was floored when seh told me this. i would have thought that all the physicals i got while in the corps they would check these things, and if they did, no one even came close to mentiong my cholesterol levels.

PakiDan should be able to help you in some way. He had to change his diet a lot recently.

ORION
12-03-2008, 06:56 PM

total level is 258, triglyceride is 189 hdl is 43 and ldl is 177. they said the only one i have tha is considered good is the hdl at 43. they told me to go on a low cholesterol diet for three months andthey would re evaluate me.

any one have any good diets. ive googled a little but am looking for some real world feedback on what works and doesnt work. or is it just trial and error til you find one that works for your body?

Eat plenty of vagina and exercise

chode_regulator
12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
i just started going to the gym again about a month ago after taking about 7 m onths off. cardio for 35 min after i do free weights. 4-5 x a week.

ive put on almost 60 lbs since april. :downspin:

chode_regulator
12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
oh yeah ive decided to stop drinking. but i jsut started taht last friday so hasnt really had an effet yet

IronMexican
12-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Eat nothing but Cheerios

LMAO this was the first thing that came to mind.

lefty
12-03-2008, 08:40 PM

Yeah, but be careful of hidden junk; a lot of people think they are buying " healthy" food, but it's important to read the label carefully

boutons_
12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Controlling cholesterol with drugs or diet has been shown to be ineffective if there is systemic inflammation, indicated by bio-markers like C-RP (C-Reactive protein). The advantage of habitual aspirin is not its anti-platelet effect but it's anti-inflammatory effect.

Inflammation causes arterial problems for people with normal even low cholesterol. And people with high cholesterol but normal/low inflammation don't get cardiac problems. Most doctors don't GAF, and just throw statins at you, without checking for inflammatory markers.

An anti-inflammatory diet like the Mediterranean diet plus weight loss down to serious leanness, and exercise reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, and inflammation while increasing insulin sensitivity, warding off type II diabetes.

bendmz
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
fish oil..... no mas TORTILLAS...anything that has flour, give it up, has done wonders for me

chode_regulator
12-03-2008, 10:03 PM
fish oil..... no mas TORTILLAS...anything that has flour, give it up, has done wonders for me

that sucks. ieat alot of starches. breads and pastas what not.

is this something that can accumulate real quick or takes a while. i mean if ive had this for a while should it have been caught sooner or could i have gone from normal to high cholesterol in a short period of time?

chode_regulator
12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Controlling cholesterol with drugs or diet has been shown to be ineffective if there is systemic inflammation, indicated by bio-markers like C-RP (C-Reactive protein). The advantage of habitual aspirin is not its anti-platelet effect but it's anti-inflammatory effect.

Inflammation causes arterial problems for people with normal even low cholesterol. And people with high cholesterol but normal/low inflammation don't get cardiac problems. Most doctors don't GAF, and just throw statins at you, without checking for inflammatory markers.

An anti-inflammatory diet like the Mediterranean diet plus weight loss down to serious leanness, and exercise reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, and inflammation while increasing insulin sensitivity, warding off type II diabetes.

after a quick google search im confused as to what youre getting at here. from what i read it sounds like CRP's are directly related to coronary problems and have nothing to do with cholesterol. CRP's are related to inflamations of areteries correct?

Sapphire
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
The tortillas, baked sweets, and breads will make your triglycerides soar. Try the low-carb tortillas that HEB sells--well, go without regular tortillas for a couple of weeks, and then those will taste great. :lol

Some people may think it's a faddish diet, but South Beach will get your cholesterol down. The first 2 weeks are tough, but you adjust and then you can add things back in to your diet, such as potatoes and other carbs--in moderation, of course.

Good luck! It's important to get it under control, but if you don't with diet and exercise, there are plenty of meds to help. My mom's doc recommended red yeast rice and it brought her cholesterol down--it's available over the counter and it supposedly contains the same type of statins that are in Lipitor.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-03-2008, 10:53 PM
oh yeah ive decided to stop drinking. but i jsut started taht last friday so hasnt really had an effet yet

LOL i'd like to see that

breh

Oatmeal is good for cholesterol too.

tlongII
12-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Dude, if you've put on 60 lbs since April you need to exercise. I put on about 15 lbs a few months ago and freaked out about it. I've been in the gym 5 times a week since then and have taken it off.

desflood
12-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Fiber. And water. Lots of both.

boutons_
12-03-2008, 11:55 PM
"CRP's are related to inflamations of areteries correct?"

yes, C-RP is a well-known serum bio-marker for systemic inflammation (eg, seen in lupus patients), which of course includes arterial inflammation, which causes cholesterol to be deposited as plaque on the arterial wallls, narrowing/hardening the arteries. A chunk of that crap break off the arterial wall, so now you have thrombosis, like Tim Russert, "Gone in 60 Seconds"

Low cholesterol is no guarantee of cardiac health, because any arterial inflammation will still cause any circulating cholesterol to be be deposited.

Again, lots of people with high cholesterol never have cardiac/arterial events, and lots of people with low cholesterol die of heart attacks.

There is HUGE controversy about cholesterol. And "some say" there is no proof that dietary cholesterol has any effect on serum cholesterol. Some even call the choleseterol story a scam to sell statins, which is many, many $Bs/year for the drug pushers.

Popping statins won't help, while remaining
overweight,
inflammed,
eating the suicidal S.A.D./Standard American Diet,
high triglycerides (which CAN be affected by diet),
no exercise/being unfit.

You can't get healthy taking pills, and statins have lots of bad side effects.

tristanj
12-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Find time to engage in sports that are enjoyable, not just jogging every morning for 30 minutes. Then eat your daily meal with the right amount three time regularly. Do not eat junk foods, any kind of foods that are oily and fattening. Go for some green vegetables like eating salad with light dressings. Do not eat too much eggs.

The Reckoning
12-04-2008, 12:44 AM
This looks like a job for...

http://i36.tinypic.com/6edvki.jpg

AlamoSpursFan
12-04-2008, 12:45 AM
"I had a cholesterol test. You know what they found? BACON! Big chunks of it, baby!" -- Bob Zany

The Reckoning
12-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Or you can eat lots of these...

http://i36.tinypic.com/ncmw08.jpg

Vinnie_Johnson
12-04-2008, 01:18 AM
I am 78 days into P90X and it really works I am getting in great shape and 6 Pack abs are starting to show.

romad_20
12-04-2008, 08:23 AM
I had high cholesterol of couple of years back. It wasn't as high as yours but I've lowered mine well below the recommended levels by dropping 20 lbs, eating right and exercise and taking a multi vitiamin, fish, flax and boarage oil and a garlic substitute everyday. Garlic works very well at lowering cholestrol with a good diet.

You have to take it everyday.

Taco
12-04-2008, 08:38 AM

I did the Atkins diet it went well. I lost weight, it brought all my levels to normal ratings.

BUT.................

if you don't stay on it you put the weight back on pretty quickly

Good luck

mrsmaalox
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
You need to get the ball rolling on this cholesterol reduction quest right away because if there isn't a significant change in 3 months you'll be headed the statin route. Statins are usually for life and can have some bad side effects. I don't think it's that unusual for your body to "suddenly" exhibit something like that because after all, we age every day, so our body changes every day. Everyone is spot on with the exercise advice--start moving! And the dietary changes will take some getting used to, but at least there are a lot of products on the market that make it more convenient. A change that is easy to make is going for whole grains in the pastas and breads. And using a fiber supplement daily can help and isn't too bad once your body gets used to it. :)

chode_regulator
12-04-2008, 01:30 PM
LOL i'd like to see that

breh

Oatmeal is good for cholesterol too.

dude its sooooo hard to not drink. it makes quitting smoking look like kindergarten for elpimpo. i feel like its been months since ive drank. i dont think i have a problem or anything but i sure do love to have some drinks on a daily basis. i always have to lie my ass off when docs ask about how much i dirnk bc i dont want themto flip out and send me to counseling.

Dude, if you've put on 60 lbs since April you need to exercise. I put on about 15 lbs a few months ago and freaked out about it. I've been in the gym 5 times a week since then and have taken it off.
apparentely reading>joo. you must have missed the part where i started excercising again about a month ago. i also start school again next semester so hopefully that willbe some increased activity as well.

boutons i understand that pills arent the cure all and sure hope i didnt come off that way. they told me they were going to give me 3 months to lower it and then start the pills but even thne i probably wouldnt do so. i also understand that having low cholesterol doesnt mean i am healthy or safe from heart attacks. but i do appreciate teh advice and will look into all other methods before starting drugs.

to everyone else, thanks for the advice so far.

edit:sounds like carbs are out the window. :nope :depressed

thispego
12-04-2008, 01:35 PM
go through boot camp again. you'll be back in your prime

ORION
12-04-2008, 01:44 PM
eat vagina ....

tlongII
12-04-2008, 03:19 PM

:tu

chode_regulator
12-04-2008, 04:47 PM

lol
i would if i could

except it would be gay and id probably just laugh at the DI's

Vinnie_Johnson
12-04-2008, 05:49 PM
lol
i would if i could

Boot camp is for wimps try 90 days of P90X.

thispego
12-04-2008, 08:13 PM
lol
i would if i could

lolol, ohhh shit theyd chew your ass up and spit you out. nah they probably wouldnt... too much gristle and fat

slacker77
12-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Had the same problem . I had gained about 25 pounds since march . Started doing alot of cardio , changed my diet , and quit smoking . First I stopped with sodas and anything that was fried . Started doing 20 min. on the elliptical and some light running . I'm now up to 45 min. on the elliptical and have been doing light weight training . Also up to 4 miles when I do go running . I also agree with romad 20 flax seed is very good for you (look it up) . I take 2 tablespoons in the morning with my breakfast . Go check out sun harvest , also. Unfortunatley it's true what they say , "It's more expensive to eat healthy" .

TDMVPDPOY
12-05-2008, 12:02 AM
eat vagina ....

alot of protein right there, sprinkle some honey if you need the carbs.....give ur tongue a workout, next you be licking dick