PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Spurs' Big Step Begins With No Limp

duncan228
12-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Spurs' big step begins with no limp (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_big_step_begins_with_no_limp.html)
Buck Harvey

They stuck a device on Tim Duncan's chronic left knee last summer, and then they tightened as if they were straightening a board.

Those in the practice facility aren't sure, but they think Duncan's facial expression may have changed.

When the knee had been extended past a certain point, they locked the device. This is what they do to worn joints with a decreased range of motion.

But that's about all the adjusting they've had to do. Duncan is in Denver tonight, where he played his first NBA game a dozen seasons ago, and he looks lively and active and fresh.

He also looks, again, like the reason the Spurs can straighten out their problems as they straightened out his leg.

The chemistry difficulties should be expected, what with injuries and roster additions. Gregg Popovich usually takes until February anyway before he finds what he wants, and George Hill learned how twisted this process can be.

After a string of high-scoring games, Hill didn't take a shot against Detroit and sat out the second half. The same kid who has impressed everyone with his toughness wasn't needed when Popovich thought the Spurs were soft?

Knowing Popovich, there was some lesson involved. Knowing Popovich, he didn't like his rotation much, either.

He couldn't have liked the fourth quarter. Then, Rasheed Wallace stood on the 3-point line and forced Duncan to make a choice: Either stay with Wallace or stop the other Pistons from driving. Duncan opted to do neither.

His teammates were as passive and confused. And afterward, Duncan didn't stick around to explain what had happened, choosing to duck the media.

That's a contrast to, among others, David Robinson. After similar losses, Robinson always stood at his locker and answered every painful question.

But Spurs management doesn't care if Duncan walks away from an interview — as long as he's walking somewhere. His health will determine everything about this season and the next several to come, and Robinson, again, is the contrasting measurement.

Robinson played in 610 regular-season and playoff games before his spine bent the wrong way, and he was never quite the same again. Next week, Duncan will play in his 1,000th.

The knee that required surgery in 2000 has been bothersome at times, and some in his locker room think this knee has handicapped him more in the past than he lets on. No one can tell; Duncan usually saves his concerns for the referees, after all.

But that's about the extent of it.

Duncan has kept playing at about the same level, year after year, and his Nuggets opponents tonight show the other side. Kenyon Martin and Nené have combined to play fewer games over the past three seasons than Duncan.

Duncan has endured some sprained ankles and plantar fasciitis along the way. But this season, he's playing more and scoring more, appearing as fit as he has since his MVP years, and he also looks freer.

Give some credit to Popovich for this. He's preached to Duncan for years to not hesitate when he has an open outside shot. This season, Duncan is doing just that.

There was something else going on early, too, when Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker were out. Instead of being bored by the early season, as he sometimes was in the past, Duncan had a spark.

Why? He probably enjoyed being The Option again. And he probably liked the challenge of trying to scratch out wins with a makeshift group.

Now the others are back, as are an assortment of sticky issues. Is Bruce Bowen a 30-minute player anymore? Can anyone play the big-man spot next to Duncan? Does any of it matter if the Lakers continue to roll as they have?

Tonight won't make the Spurs feel much better. They have yet to win a road game against a team as strong as the Nuggets, and the Spurs won't win this one.

But if they have one reason to believe things can change, it's Duncan. He's walking out for the next tip in Denver, after all, much as he did for the first one.

duncan228
12-04-2008, 02:18 AM
But if they have one reason to believe things can change, it's Duncan.

timvp
12-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Nothing makes the future seem as bright as reading about Duncan's chronically bad knee. :guin

Manufan909
12-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Tonight won't make the Spurs feel much better. They have yet to win a road game against a team as strong as the Nuggets, and the Spurs won't win this one.

This is the part that stuck out the most for me, sounds like Harvey is throwing in the towel for the Spurs. My second biggest reason for wanting them to win tonight is to see what this shit face writes afterwards. Nothing is absolute, so this guy shouldn't presume to have the powers of Miss Cleo. I bet not one analyst/sports writer believed the Pacers would beat the Lakers, but they showed everyone. Come on Spurs!!!

Course, if the Spurs lose then I'll be the one to eat my words.:p:

Unlike Harvey, I believe.

:flag:

duncan228
12-04-2008, 02:52 AM
I believe in Duncan.

Barring injury, I don't think his knee is anymore a concern than it's ever been. He looks great this year, he has the spark Harvey mentions. That spark was talked about here in the pre-season, we usually don't see it until later in the season. That spark will always keep this team a contender.

The ups and downs that are occuring now will even out. Pop will work his magic and by the RRT all the kinks will be worked out for the Playoff run. If any team can rise above the obstacles that they've faced it's the Spurs.

honestfool84
12-04-2008, 02:56 AM
This is the part that stuck out the most for me, sounds like Harvey is throwing in the towel for the Spurs. My second biggest reason for wanting them to win tonight is to see what this shit face writes afterwards. Nothing is absolute, so this guy shouldn't presume to have the powers of Miss Cleo. I bet not one analyst/sports writer believed the Pacers would beat the Lakers, but they showed everyone. Come on Spurs!!!

Course, if the Spurs lose then I'll be the one to eat my words.:p:

Unlike Harvey, I believe.

:flag:

it only makes sense, with the way the spurs have been playing lately.

i don't think POP will figure out the rotation by tomorrow - i think it'll take a week or two more.

Blackjack
12-04-2008, 02:57 AM
They stuck a device on Tim Duncan's chronic left knee last summer, and then they tightened as if they were straightening a board.

Those in the practice facility aren't sure, but they think Duncan's facial expression may have changed.

When the knee had been extended past a certain point, they locked the device. This is what they do to worn joints with a decreased range of motion.

Was this ever reported?

I can't remember anything being anywhere close to insightful since Ludden left.:lol

duncan228
12-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Was this ever reported?

Not officially.

Duncan played with the plantar fasciitis in '05-'06 for 2 months before we were let in on it. The Spurs, and Duncan, tend to keep stuff behind closed doors.

Another example is when he had the flu the first 2 games of the Hornets series. We didn't know he was sick until after tip of game 2.

milkyway21
12-04-2008, 03:22 AM
what a disappointing 40-minute(again)losing game for Duncan. How long his knee can endure the minutes.

Early in the season 3 or 4(?) losing streak.
2 losing streak again(Houston & Detroit)

Yet, he can keep his mouth shut about the inefficiency, lack of inability of his team to tighten the defense, etc.
Most of the time he gets the blame, but he's taking it all in.
His patience is incredible.

I don't know if I can do the same.
I'd be :blah :blah:blah :lol

okay " It's just basketball"-Popovich

I know you'd tell me that :lol

Blackjack
12-04-2008, 03:32 AM
Not officially.

Duncan played with the plantar fasciitis in '05-'06 for 2 months before we were let in on it. The Spurs, and Duncan, tend to keep stuff behind closed doors.

Another example is when he had the flu the first 2 games of the Hornets series. We didn't know he was sick until after tip of game 2.

I didn't think so.:tu

You also never heard from Tim and the Spurs about how bad his ankles were throughout the '05 playoffs, and in '04 when all of a sudden Malone was being credited for shutting down Tim, (who averaged around 30ppg., and had something like an 18 game winning streak against him and the Jazz) there was never one mention about the knee that never completely recovered that forced him to sit out the end of the regular season.

I hope when this Spurs era of "The Big Three" and Pop is over (10 or so years from now:smokin) we get a really good tell-all book that takes us behind the curtains. I'm sure there's a hell of a lot things that would suprise even the most informed fans.

JWest596
12-04-2008, 04:00 AM
I'm sure there's a hell of a lot things that would surprise even the most informed fans.

Pop thinks he looks great in magenta and prefers flats over heels when he is feeling feminine?

polandprzem
12-04-2008, 04:18 AM
I must to do this :pctoss

GSH
12-04-2008, 05:39 AM
Nothing makes the future seem as bright as reading about Duncan's chronically bad knee. :guin

Unless it's this:

"Robinson played in 610 regular-season and playoff games before his spine bent the wrong way, and he was never quite the same again. Next week, Duncan will play in his 1,000th."

That really made the clouds part for me.

raspsa
12-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I hope Kmart's trash talk after the last game light a fire under Tim..

naico
12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
TD is fitter than he's been for a long time. The jogging back on offense-days are over.
The past weeks have shown us that our offense mainly has got to go through him. He's probably the best decision maker in the nba when having the ball in his hands and now with a TD in great shape we should take advantage of that.

mrspurs
12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
This is the same team I saw last year. And even Timmy was guilty. They quit on each other. They dont have team defense. And once Timmy quits the spurs quit. Thats what happens when other teams come in with more then 3 guys to beat up on Timmy and we have.......just Timmy. I expect to see alot more games where Timmy and his teamates just quit. Only thing is last year they would be down by serious double digits. This year they just dont seem to care. The Spurs hate to say it are easy to beat. As long as they're 3point shots dont go in. Your chances of beating us in the paint are quite simple. Have another Big who can hit from the outside like Sheed or West. And we're in trouble.

Indazone
12-04-2008, 10:45 AM
He was right about Bowen though.

hater
12-04-2008, 11:19 AM
as long as our big 3 are healthy coming in playoffs. we always will have a good chance. no matter if we are #1 or #8 seed

Solid D
12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=UMgClfsa9RYC&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&sig=ACfU3U3x5Pu78P9_b0tsZXSn2LANYitW3Q

Someone forgot to take their Ritalin and Zoloft today.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Why? He probably enjoyed being The Option again. And he probably liked the challenge of trying to scratch out wins with a makeshift group.

I think this is a very true statement. I don't think I ever saw TD this fired up during the first 20 games of the year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
This article makes the collection of spare parts in the low block next to Tim (Thomas, Oberto, Ian, Bonner, Ime, Finley) even more maddening.

I mean, it's not like having a bunch of bigs beat up on Tim while we're trotting out Bonner, Ime, or Finley at PF is going to have any effect on his health moving forward...

TDfan2007
12-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Tim has a spark sure, but he's been pretty inconsistent lately and it worries me. He's seemed a step slow lately and even less explosive than usual. Hopefully this changes, but I'm not liking his low post offense thus far this season...

Frenchise player
12-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Unless there is a big 4th quarter collapse, his prediction was really off.

hater
12-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Buck Harvey should be hanged from the tallest tree in front of the Alamo

duncan228
12-05-2008, 12:47 AM
I would hope he'll be happy to eat his words for the win.

ClingingMars
12-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Buck Harvey should be hanged from the tallest tree in front of the Alamo

kinda like people in my school's newspaper picked our football team to LOSE their next game in the playoffs?

I'd love to get my hands on those cowards.

-Mars

Fernando TD21
12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I believe in Duncan.

Barring injury, I don't think his knee is anymore a concern than it's ever been. He looks great this year, he has the spark Harvey mentions. That spark was talked about here in the pre-season, we usually don't see it until later in the season. That spark will always keep this team a contender.

The ups and downs that are occuring now will even out. Pop will work his magic and by the RRT all the kinks will be worked out for the Playoff run. If any team can rise above the obstacles that they've faced it's the Spurs.
He had the spark tonight, he even had enough to share with Bonner.:toast

Kori Ellis
12-05-2008, 01:29 AM

Buck Harvey just got BOWNED.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_matt_bonner.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_bruce_bowen.jpg