PDA

View Full Version : Karl says Dumars wanted Billups in Denver

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-04-2008, 06:55 AM
So did any other teams that might have made offers for Chauncey Billups have a fighting chance?

Not according to George Karl.

The Nuggets coach said Wednesday on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption'' he believes Detroit executive Joe Dumars had an agreement with Billups that, if he were to be traded, he would be sent to his hometown of Denver. The Pistons sent Billups to the Nuggets on Nov. 3 while acquiring Allen Iverson.

"I don't know this for a fact, but I have a feeling that Joe Dumars and Chauncey had a kind of an agreement that, if they were going to trade him, he wanted to be traded to Denver,'' Karl said on the show. "And Dumars respected Chauncey so much he got that done. And I think the pieces also helped A.I., and the pieces fitted, and everything could be done.

"I don't know that for a fact, but I really believed that the Detroit Pistons loved Chauncey so much that they subtly gave him his request. He's back in his hometown. I've never seen kind of a spirit of a town rally around a player.''

Since Billups first suited up for the Nuggets, they are 12-3. When asked on the show if the Nuggets can challenge West heavyweights Los Angeles Lakers and New Orleans this season, Karl said, "Yes. I think that's the subtle comment that we're making in the locker room to one another.''

Karl has been having a hard time containing his giddiness since the acquisition of Billups.

"I think it's a little more than like,'' Karl said on the show when asked if he's liked the deal. "It's more in the romance. My assistant coaches told me if I don't stop complimenting Chauncey in the newspaper they're going to think I'm having a romantic affair with him.''

Don't count on Karl putting a brake on those comments any time soon. Keep checking the Rocky Mountain News for more Karl compliments on Billups.

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/12/karl_says_dumar.html

DarkReign
12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
:tu Good for CB1. I am glad to hear he is doing so well.

Kriz-Maxima
12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
That has already been mentioned, even before he was traded. Supposedly Dumars and Billups had a conversation about that after Dumars gave the ultimatum and Stuckey was made the sacred cow.I don't think Dumars would do a trade detrimental to the team just to accommodate Chauncey, I do think it was taken into consideration, but it was mostly the right pieces falling into place.