PDA

View Full Version : Blazers' leader WANTS the Celtics

tlongII
12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/12/roys_leadership_is_like_his_ga.html

WASHINGTON -- Now, Brandon Roy can finally say it.
He and the Trail Blazers want Boston.

There are no more games to potentially overlook, no more film sessions to grind through, because after Wednesday's 98-92 win at Washington -- the Blazers' sixth in a row -- Friday's matchup in Boston against the World Champion Celtics has arrived.

"This is what we want," Roy said. "This is where we want to be. I want it not only for this team, but for me personally. To see where I'm at, you know? To see where this team is at, to see where I can get this team to."

What you are hearing, Portland, and what the rest of the NBA is seeing, is an All-Star morphing into a great player. Or at least a great leader.

It's not because Roy is welcoming the challenge of the Celtics, or that he wants to measure himself ... it's more of the way he goes about declaring it. He sets a tone for the Blazers, both in the methodical tempo of his play, and in his subtle and confident way of guiding the team in the locker room.

In the first month of the season, there have been so many performances and so many behind-the-scenes developments that to a person, every member of the Blazers traveling party would say Roy has become much more than just a captain and leader of this team.

He has become the face, and soul, of the franchise.

Earlier this season, in a game at Minnesota at the end of a long trip, the team found itself in an unsuspecting dogfight against the Timberwolves. As the Blazers were trailing in the second half, the players were becoming tense, and coach Nate McMillan admitted he was beginning to lose his cool. McMillan was priming himself to tear into his team to ignite a spark. But then he heard Roy talking to his teammates on the bench.

"He was telling the guys, 'It's OK. We're just missing shots. Everything is going to be fine,'" McMillan said. "Me, I'm coming at the guys in a different way, but when he says it, and because it's coming from him ... I mean, even me, I'm like, 'Well Brandon said we are OK. Cool.' And I'm sure the guys felt the same way."

Later, Roy said he was trying to say it so McMillan couldn't hear, but he was glad he did hear, because it put even more pressure on Roy to deliver. Roy admitted that the bench, and McMillan, took on a different tone for the rest of the game, which the Blazers won 88-83 on the heels of a 23-12 fourth quarter.

"His calmness on and off the court really gives us that swagger we need," Channing Frye said.

On Tuesday, in New York, Roy delivered two more examples.

In the first half, McMillan pulled a struggling Frye, who came to the bench hot. Frye was mad both at himself for not playing tougher defense and mad at his short playing stint. In fact, he was so upset that he couldn't join the team huddle during a timeout. After assistant Joe Prunty talked to Frye, Roy wandered over and did his own interview of Frye. What was wrong? How could he help? By the end of the short meeting, Roy said some private words to Frye, patted him on the head, and Frye was back into the game, pulling for the team.

"There is no question he is the leader of this team, and he does it in his own way," Frye said. "It's not like he is ever in the middle of the locker room, demanding or giving speeches, he's never like that. He's very subtle, maybe it's on the bus, or after a timeout, and he just talks to us. And he is just one of those guys who when he talks, people listen. He's very, very real."

Occasionally, I step back in the postgame locker room and survey the scene while the media conducts its business. One thing I have always noticed is how the Blazers players almost stop dressing in order to listen to what Roy says to the media. They value his opinion, and they want to hear what he has to say. And Roy has developed an effective way of knowing when to slightly raise his voice as if to make a point that everyone else should hear.

After the Knicks victory, as the line of questioning from the New York media intensified on how good the Blazers were becoming, Roy turned the volume up a couple notches. He spoke of hard work, and having to be persistent about improving. After the room cleared a bit, he explained.

"We are not going to wake up one day and be good," Roy said. "That's why I have been working this locker room. We have to work for it, and we have to work for it every day. It's not just going to happen."

Later, the scenes involving Frye and Roy's postgame comments were revealed to McMillan. The coach leaned back and soaked it in. He showed more than a glimmer of pride.

"If there is anything missing from this team, it's that," McMillan said. "And that's normally where experience comes into play, where you have those older guys, those vets who will come up and talk to a player, or make those comments. He's doing it in his own way, but it's getting done. I think it's important that your key guy believes that and he's doing it and setting the example."

The word on Roy, I believe, is slowly starting to spread. Longtime New York Post columnist Peter Vecsey spent probably 10 minutes talking to Roy after the Knicks game -- the first time in 10 years that I have seen Vecsey step foot in the Blazers locker room. Done with his conversation, Vecsey had to level with Roy.

"I'm not supposed to say this, but I really enjoy watching you play," Vecsey told Roy as he extended his hand.

Roy admitted afterward that he didn't know who Vecsey was, but recognized him from television, so he must have been a big deal.

"I was honored," Roy said. "I think the way I play grows on people, and it's a slow grow. That's why when my friends always ask why I don't get more attention, I tell them, 'Be patient. It will come.' It's like my game, it might not come until late, but when it does, BOOM!"

Now Roy wants to deliver his biggest boom, ending the Celtics' 10-game winning streak on Friday, in Boston. This game carries some deep-seeded emotion for the Blazers. Roy felt Kevin Garnett and the Celtics "punked" the Blazers last year with some bully tactics. You can be sure Roy will be raising his voice and subtly delivering that message in today's practice in Boston.

"It should be a good one," Roy said with a smile. "I'm sure they know who we are, and that we are coming."

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
'It's OK. We're just missing shots. Everything is going to be fine,'"

spursdynasty is Roy?!

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
The Blazers have arrived. They have had awesome personnel moves which have translated into great trades and draft selections. The team is playing great ball and they will only get better throughout the season.

People need to realise that the Blazers aren't just a team of the future, they are a team that can win now.

hater
12-04-2008, 11:14 AM
People need to realise that the Blazers aren't just a team of the future, they are a team that can win now.

win what? a 1st round of playoffs? maybe if they're lucky.

they are too young and besides Roy and Fernandez have no experienced player. Love watching them but they won't get far in the playoffs this time around.

DaDakota
12-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Portland is scary good.....Their roster talent level is off the charts.

DD

IronMexican
12-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Should be a great game. It looks like the Blazers are serious contenders this year. Tlong, never forget 2000 WCF Game 7:toast

tlongII
12-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Should be a great game. It looks like the Blazers are serious contenders this year. Tlong, never forget 2000 WCF Game 7:toast

Oh F U! :flipoff

Thunder Dan
12-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Blazers are good. I hope they take the Celtics out Friday

SpursDynasty
12-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Brandon Roy wants to call out the NBA Champions? Who the hell does he think he is? Who the hell do the Blazers think they are? Real elites just go out and play, no talking beforehand. I'm glad this one's on ESPN. Celtics going to beat their ass.

Allanon
12-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Rooting for the Blazers to take down the Leprechauns.

turiaf for president
12-04-2008, 01:44 PM
next thing u know hes gonna go paul pierce on us and say hes the best player in the league. sit yo ass down brandon

hater
12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
did u fools even read what he said? he did not say anything cocky or remotely offensive. :rolleyes

lil_penny
12-04-2008, 02:07 PM
did u fools even read what he said? he did not say anything cocky or remotely offensive. :rolleyes

x2

win or lose its sure to be a great game..

Armando
12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Be careful what you wish for. Is one thing to beat Detroit and the Wiz. Regardless of you think of Boston they are still the Champs. Why add fuel to thier fire by calling them out? See DeShawn Stevenson calling out LeBron.

Armando
12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Looking forward to Perkins/Oden round 1.

hhml
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
The Evil Empire must be destroyed. However, the blazers will most likely get their asses handed to them. As good as they are playing now, the C's def is just too good.

Go blazers! :ihit

Armando
12-04-2008, 02:52 PM
The Evil Empire must be destroyed. However, the blazers will most likely get their asses handed to them. As good as they are playing now, the C's def is just too good.

Go blazers! :ihit

Celts will win Friday but the Blazers will beat them in Portland.

lil_penny
12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
as long as they dont look like the lakers did last time they met the celtics im fine with that hahaha

tomtom
12-04-2008, 06:45 PM

That's cold bro :cuss

Spur-Addict
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
:lol

Oh F U! :flipoff
:lmao

Rooting for the any team to take down the Leprechauns.

Minor edit there, nothing major. :rollin

Brazil
12-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Go Blazers !

Armando
12-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Go Celtics

samikeyp
12-04-2008, 08:41 PM
He said what you want a young leader to say, he wants to know how his team measures up to the NBA elite so they can see how to get to that level. He wasn't "calling anyone out". He wasn't insulting or talking shit.

Good for him.

ducks
12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
boston by 20

sook
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
boston by 20

i say 30

lefty
12-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Great

Another big mouth

Pierce vs Roy, the big mouthes matchup

Fuck them

DrHouse
12-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Go Blazers! We need HCA over the Celtics if we face them in the Finals.

IMHO the Blazers are well built to compete with the Celtics. They ARE a jumpshooting team and those are the kind of shots BOS forces you take. Oden vs. Perkins should be fun to watch. Aldridge will get owned by KG though.

JordanL
12-04-2008, 11:56 PM
i say 30

I suppose that would C's over Houston by 31 then.:rollin

Allanon
12-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Minor edit there, nothing major. :rollin

Hahah, serious shit... I'll root for anybody to beat the Celtics. :lol