PDA

View Full Version : Favorite boxers

I. Hustle
12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
So who is on your list?

As far as mine it gets a little tricky
a few years back Marco Antonio Barrera would have topped the list. Him signing with Don King was enough for me to stop being a fan. Now he is more annoying than anything. It's a shame too becuase I always thought he was awesome.
So if Barrera is up there then Erik Morales has to be as well. That dude was another badass.
So in no order whatsoever since I would never be able to make up my mind.

Marco Antonio Barrera
Erik Morales
Ricky Hatton
The Klitschko bros
Bad Chad Dawson
Manny Pacquiao
Antonio Margarito
Joe Calzaghe (sp?)
Jorge Arce
and King Hippo from Mike Tyson's Punch Out

a couple of those are more for entertainment than anything.

tlongII
12-04-2008, 06:14 PM
George Foreman has always been my favorite boxer.

Obstructed_View
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I'll always love George Foreman for waving the flag at the olympics to spite what John Carlos and Tommie Smith did. If not for his patriotism, then for his moral courage.

My favorites:
Pernell Whitaker - Most talented fighter I ever saw. Not even close.
Muhammad Ali - Close second, and a far better entertainer than Whitaker.
Willie Pep - Amazing fighter.
Julio Cesar Chavez - Smartest fighter I saw a lot of. He'd figure out opponents and just go to work on them. Whitaker beat him badly.
Sugar Ray Leonard - Power, speed, smarts, the ability to use each when it mattered.
Gene Tunney - Great ring smarts. Was able to survive against bigger, stronger and faster guys by using his brain.
Evander Holyfield - More heart than any fighter I ever saw. The effort required for him to be able to pack on enough mass to be a heavyweight was more than most guys put in for an entire fight.

Best three fights I ever saw that didn't have both Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier in them:

Marvin Hagler vs. Thomas Hearns - Still Godzilla vs. King Kong to me. Best fight ever.
Gatti vs. Ward - If it weren't for the above, this would be an easy number one on the list.
Meldrick Taylor vs. Julio Cesar Chavez - disappointing climax, but incredible fight between two greats at the top of their game.

dallaskd
12-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I always wore basic Haynes basic cotton for the longest time. Then I had a streak of designer ones. Now ive been heavily addicted to Jockey. Extremely comfortable. Abercrombie has made a solid line, just a little overpriced.

dbreiden83080
12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
In no real order, 10 that come to mind are..

Mike Tyson- a wrecking machine of power and excitement, in his youth, too bad it didn't last..

Marvelous Marvin Hagler- One of the best MiddleWeights ever, under-appreciated for too much of his career, man had a will of iron, incredibly mentally tough..

Thomas Hearns- Very exciting, great power in the right hand, too bad he had a weak chin, in the Ray and Hagler fights..

Oscar De La Hoya- Great boxer, fought every top guy in his era, never ducked anybody, got some bad decisions in SuperFights that have hurt his legacy..

Julio Caesar Chavez-Just a flat out friggin warrior, at every turn. Nobody could break his will..

Bernard Hopkins-Maybe the best Middleweight ever, one of the smartest and tactical fighters to ever fight. A true top 10 fighter of all time, for his career accomplishments.
Muhammad Ali- Best and most exciting Heavyweight that ever lived..

Joe Frazier-Tough SOB, fought his heart out, mostly blind in one eye during his career. Only really looked bad when he fought, Foreman "Down goes Frazier"

Roy Jones JR- PD for PD legend, in his prime nobody could touch him, Roy barely lost a RD.

Wladimir Klitscko- Sadly is really being underappreciated for his accomplishments because this era of heavyweight boxing is just not there, but i do think he is one of the top guys. He can do it all..

I. Hustle
12-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Julio Cesar Chavez - Smartest fighter I saw a lot of. He'd figure out opponents and just go to work on them. Whitaker beat him badly.
\
Marvin Hagler vs. Thomas Hearns - Still Godzilla vs. King Kong to me. Best fight ever.
Gatti vs. Ward - If it weren't for the above, this would be an easy number one on the list.
Meldrick Taylor vs. Julio Cesar Chavez - disappointing climax, but incredible fight between two greats at the top of their game.

I saw the Chavez vs Whitaker fight at the dome. Every Mexican fighter lost that night and I thought the place was going to get torn down. That is the quietest i have ever seen black guys after a fight in which their fighter won. I was scared for the dudes because there were tons of Mexicans around

mexicanjunior
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
I saw the Chavez vs Whitaker fight at the dome. Every Mexican fighter lost that night and I thought the place was going to get torn down. That is the quietest i have ever seen black guys after a fight in which their fighter won. I was scared for the dudes because there were tons of Mexicans around

I was there as well, I could have sworn Leija beat Nelson that night...or at least got a draw...

IronMexican
12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Julio Cesar Chavez
Julio Cesar Chavez jr
Mike Tyson
Antonio Margarito
Bernard Hopkins.

mexicanjunior
12-05-2008, 11:07 AM
My list...

Julio Cesear Chavez - what he did to Rosario, Camacho and his dramatic win over Taylor sealed it for me.
Marco Antonio Barrera - for what he did to Prince Naseem, his great fights with Morales and his classic with Mckinney.
Manny Pacqoiu - for what he did to Morales, his great fights with Marquez and for the excitement he brings to the sport.
Oscar Delahoya - for always fighting the best people in his weight class when he was young. His fights with Mosley, Quartey and Vargas are classic, as is his 2 destructions of JCC. He was robbed against Trinidad but it was his own fault for running the last 4 rounds.
Mike Tyson - for being a wrecking machine in his prime. He was the real life Clubber Lang when I first got into boxing in the mid to late 80's. His destruction of Berbick, Spinks and Marcus Frazier always stand out to me. Also, his matches against Razor Ruddock are underrated, both were great fights.
Marvelous Marvin Hagler - For his classics against Hearns, Duran and Leonard. He was robbed against Sugar Ray.
Micheal Carbajal - For his classic matchup against Chiquita Gonzales. Growing up, he seemed to always be on USA Network boxing (with Sean O'Grady), so he stands out when I look back at my childhood.
Evander Holyfield - For his classics against Foreman, Bowe, Lewis, Mercer and his 2 destructions of Mike Tyson.
Alexis Arguello - For his classics against Aaron Pryor.
Antonio Margerito - For what he did against Cotto and his fights with Williams, Antonio Diaz and Clottey. Also, his destruction of Kermit Cintron, who I always thought was a little full of himself.
Ricky Hatton - For his crowds singing for him and his fights with Tszyu and Mayweather.
Erik Morales - For his fights with Barrera, Pacqoiu and his underrated match with David Diaz.
Diego Corrales - For his fights with Castillo.
Arturo Gatti - For his fights with Mickey Ward, Ivan Robinson, Gabriel Rueles, Wilson Alvarez and the heart he showed against Delahoya, Mayweather and Baldomir eventhough he got his ass kicked.
Isreal Vasquez - For his fights with Rafeal Marquez and Jhonny Gonzales.
Vinny Pazienza - For his fights with Greg Haugen and all those USA Network/ESPN fights he used to highlight.
Jorge Paez - For his entertaining fights on USA Network, ESPN and NBC (I think). He always put on a good show.

I'll add more as I remember them...

tonylongoriafan
12-05-2008, 11:54 AM
i like boxer briefs...but don't have a favorite pair

2centsworth
12-05-2008, 05:53 PM
top 10 for:

Ali- maybe my favorite athlete ever.

jack johnson- for being such a badass

jack dempsey- brawler

sugar ray robinson- maybe the best fighter ever

Pernell "sweet pea" Whitaker- awkward but damn good.

Jamal Hinton- best pure boxer I ever seen live tv.

Aaron Pryor- vato had the hardest head ever. plus, he could entertain

Julio Chavez- Awesome, Awesome fighter

Felix Trinidad- Boriqua!

Miguel Cotto- Boriqua!

Obstructed_View
12-05-2008, 07:30 PM

I think your memory is a little bit off. The fight was ruled a majority draw because two of the three scorecards were tied, with the third for Whitaker. Since Whitaker beat the shit out of Chavez and got fucked by the judges, I'm not sure why the Mexicans were so unhappy. I do remember it being really quiet in the dome during the latter parts of the fight just because it wasn't looking good for Chavez.

SAtoDallas
12-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Right now fighters I enjoy watching are in no particular order:

Margarito,Cotto,Izzy Vazquez,the brothers Marquez,James Kirkland,Bad Chad Dawson,PacMan,Nate Campbell,Josh Clottey,Andre Berto,Paul Williams,Juan Diaz,Librado Andrade,Kessler,Joe Cal just to name a few. Also Chris Arreola he's pretty funny in his post fight interviews.

atxrocker
12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
margarito, salvitore sanchez (fuck you all for not mentioning him), barerra and some others.

and i don't give a shit, despite never living up to his potential i'll always consider myself a fernando vargas fan. the dude was a fucking warrior with a tons of heart.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
salvitore sanchez (fuck you all for not mentioning him)

If you have some of his fights, I would love to see them and become a fan. All I've seen from him is highlight clips and stories...he just didn't get enough TV exposure for me to be a fan of his work.

tlongII
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
The heavyweight division was king back in the 70's. Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ernie Shavers, Ken Norton, etc. For me those were the golden days of boxing.

DBryant88
12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Floyd Mayweather

enough said

SAtoDallas
12-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Floyd Mayweather

enough said

Damn you picked the most boring fighter and the thread died!

dbreiden83080
12-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Floyd Mayweather

enough said

Great fighter, boring style, dick-head of a human being..

DBryant88
12-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Damn you picked the most boring fighter and the thread died!

he didn't need to be fancy he just got the job done in the ring. but now hes gone:depressed

SAtoDallas
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
he didn't need to be fancy he just got the job done in the ring. but now hes gone:depressed

Hopefully it stays that way unless it's to fight PacMan.

balli
12-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Hands of Stone

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1980/06/21/001351759.jpg

spursnatic
12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Ricardo "el Matador" Mayorga!!!!!

Whisky Dog
01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Saturday. HBO. Margarito v Mosely. Must see.

I watched the Andre Berto fight last week and was not too impressed. Kid has a lot of skill and raw tools but didn't fight a smart fight at all. He'll get destroyed when he steps up in that division, which is easily the most talented and toughest in the sport today.

mexicanjunior
01-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Saturday. HBO. Margarito v Mosely. Must see.
I watched the Andre Berto fight last week and was not too impressed. Kid has a lot of skill and raw tools but didn't fight a smart fight at all. He'll get destroyed when he steps up in that division, which is easily the most talented and toughest in the sport today.

I also thought Berto, although he showed alot of heart, did not fight a smart fight and left himself defenseless on the inside against Collazo. I thought the fight should have been a draw and, had Collazo not taken the 12th round off, he probably would have won. All Berto had to do was use his speed to potshot from the outside but his inclination to stay on the inside made it a much tougher fight than what it should have been.

You are correct about Berto being in trouble when he steps up to the higher levels of the division. I think Margerito, Pacqiou, Paul Williams, or Mayweather would beat him pretty convincingly.

mexicanjunior
01-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Why? The guy has done nothing but lose in big fights since his 2 wins over Forrest like 6 years ago. I don't understand how he continues to keep getting title chances...

Purple & Gold
01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Chávez will always be my favorite, but I was also a big fan of Julian Jackson back in the day. He's way underrated. His left was devastating.

Spooky
01-21-2009, 06:34 PM
My dad knew Salvador Sanchez and always told me that he was a great fighter. His ability to recover between rounds is legendary. The fights I've seen on youtube confirm that for me. It is a shame, we lost great a fighter when he wrecked his Vette.

Salvador VS Gomez
rounds 1 and 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-v256KWyG4

Salvador VS Gomez round 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSCsVufHeg

Salvador Vs Gomez round 7 and 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dt-YiV7rw&feature=related

Salvador Sanchez vs Azumah Nelson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllfooQQcZM

Spooky
01-21-2009, 07:14 PM
A few of my favorites:
Robert "Pikin" Quiroga

Jesse Benavides a WBO champ from Corpus was very good converted to southpaw fighter who was avoided by the belt holders early in his career.

A funny story about him cause i know him: While training for a fight. He was at my house to visit my dad. I was 17 or 18 at the time, in probably the best shape of my life. When I ask if he wanted to spar. So he puts on our lone piece of headgear to protect himself if I got lucky. Leaving me with nothing but my superior boxing skills to keep me from getting KO'd in my living room.
Tale of the Tape
Me: 5'5 145
Champ: I think 5'3 122 Jr Bantom weight.

The sparring session starts, and I start trying to work my way in with some jabs. He dodges. I Land a jab and right behind it I land a body shot, back out thinkin "Dang I'm Fast, do it again". I step up throwing my amazingly quick jabs, He gives a quick little head movement and unleashes a right hook to the body. I crumbled to the floor for an 8 count. I get up thinkin "oh crap" he looks at me and says "I know your weak spot".
I move in again, miss my desperate power shot. He stepped up and unleased another right hook in the the exact same spot of my gut. I crumbled and got Knocked out first round. That was the end of my fighting career.:dizzy:fight

Purple & Gold
01-31-2009, 11:57 PM
A few of my favorites:
Robert "Pikin" Quiroga

Jesse Benavides a WBO champ from Corpus was very good converted to southpaw fighter who was avoided by the belt holders early in his career.

A funny story about him cause i know him: While training for a fight. He was at my house to visit my dad. I was 17 or 18 at the time, in probably the best shape of my life. When I ask if he wanted to spar. So he puts on our lone piece of headgear to protect himself if I got lucky. Leaving me with nothing but my superior boxing skills to keep me from getting KO'd in my living room.
Tale of the Tape
Me: 5'5 145
Champ: I think 5'3 122 Jr Bantom weight.

The sparring session starts, and I start trying to work my way in with some jabs. He dodges. I Land a jab and right behind it I land a body shot, back out thinkin "Dang I'm Fast, do it again". I step up throwing my amazingly quick jabs, He gives a quick little head movement and unleashes a right hook to the body. I crumbled to the floor for an 8 count. I get up thinkin "oh crap" he looks at me and says "I know your weak spot".
I move in again, miss my desperate power shot. He stepped up and unleased another right hook in the the exact same spot of my gut. I crumbled and got Knocked out first round. That was the end of my fighting career.:dizzy:fight

Great story yeah the jump from amateur to pro is amazingly steep. Sorry to hear that was the end of your boxing career but it certainly is the toughest sport out there.

Purple & Gold
01-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Here's a great Julian Jackson knockouts video. Has some of his hardest punches. Look at how lethal his hands were :wow To bad he didn't have the chin to go with it.

uNXWYM-L2LA

MrChug
02-01-2009, 09:09 AM

Way to pick the biggest jackoff in recent memory...I'm guessing if you like him it's because you're LIKE him...but I digress.

No one could/would ever hold a spark to Hagler in my mind historically, but my contemporary pick is Juan Manuel Marquez for some reason although it's hard to argue with the ferocity of a PacMan.

Love Hatton #4, Calzaghe's gotta be #3 though. Even though he's slacked, I'm goin with Vlad Klitchko at #5.

Evan
02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Mike Tyson - He turned me into a once upon a time die hard boxing fan and got me into sports to begin with.

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Mike Tyson - He turned me into a once upon a time die hard boxing fan and got me into sports to begin with.

you must be real young. Usually Mohammad Ali is that boxer.

tlongII
02-02-2009, 12:14 PM
WL7KnkWWXbQ

I still think the fight against Ali was fixed.

degenerate_gambler
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
man.....tough to narrow it down to a few.

but...in no particular order:

ali

boom boom mancini

gatti

hagler

manny p

johnny tapia

Evan
02-02-2009, 12:55 PM
you must be real young. Usually Mohammad Ali is that boxer.

Spooky
02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice youtube clip. It looks like Julian Jackson was a beast with really good hand speed. Sucks that he could'nt take a punch. Must have been great to watch his fights back in the day.

It makes me want to go to the Zarzamora Street gym, so I can get my fighting career started again. While I am still young. I spoke to Tony Ayala Sr. a few weeks ago, and jokingly told him that I think he might be able to train me to be a Champion. If anyone can do it, he can.

Seriously, though I was also a big fan of Tommy Hearns back in the day.

slayermin
02-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Sweet Pea!

yjTHLPmfBCQ

MrChug
02-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Vic Darchiniyan hahaha

lefty
02-08-2009, 03:57 AM
http://www.photoshoppix.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/normal_rocky_and_bear.jpg

baseline bum
02-08-2009, 04:15 AM
I gotta go with Tyson. Tyson-Spinks is my earliest boxing memory, and the combinations he threw in his prime were sick. I loved watching him throw body shots into his hapless victims, and watching a Tyson fight was like seeing a psycho get mad as fuck and just start destroying shit. For modern boxers, I'll go with Floyd; damn I want to see him fight Manny.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Nice youtube clip. It looks like Julian Jackson was a beast with really good hand speed. Sucks that he could'nt take a punch. Must have been great to watch his fights back in the day.
Julian Jackson had some talent but he was one in a long list of fighters ruined by Don King. Fights on Showtime in the early 90s were kind of a sick joke.

The Reckoning
02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
the ones that have a "slippery when wet" sign on the crotch

Whisky Dog
02-17-2009, 03:48 PM
One of my current favorites is Sergio Martinez, who was flat out robbed by the judges and the ref in his fight last saturday on HBO against Kermit Cintron. He destroyed Cintron and got a draw... boxing judges:rolleyes.

ManuTP9
02-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Floyd Mayweather

enough said

i agree.

Purple & Gold
02-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Julian Jackson had some talent but he was one in a long list of fighters ruined by Don King. Fights on Showtime in the early 90s were kind of a sick joke.

Julian Jackson had more then "some talent". He had two of the hardest fists ever and had amazing accuracy. His problem was not having a chin. And Don King had his fingers on EVERYTHING. If you wanna treat it like the steroid era of baseball then you need to indict everybody.

Purple & Gold
02-25-2009, 09:23 AM

It makes me want to go to the Zarzamora Street gym, so I can get my fighting career started again. While I am still young. I spoke to Tony Ayala Sr. a few weeks ago, and jokingly told him that I think he might be able to train me to be a Champion. If anyone can do it, he can.

Seriously, though I was also a big fan of Tommy Hearns back in the day.

Ohhh yeah I loved watching his fights it was a guaranteed knockdown everytime :lol

Hey and keep training don't give up your dream. Just keep working on it :tu

It's an uphill fight but well worth it if that is what you want. Just take care of your health and always keep your safety #1

Whisky Dog
03-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Juan Manuel Marquez is about the most boxing-wise intelligent boxer in the game today. The way he adjusted to Juan Diaz mid fight by switching to the right uppercut was brilliant. I hope he gets another shot at Pacman since he was possibly robbed twice against him, but I doubt Pacman wants any part of him again after stealing two decisions.

Juan Diaz is a damn good fighter but he can't take cuts. That's what will keep him from the top level in the sport.

Dinamita
03-02-2009, 12:18 AM
my favorite current active boxers.

1. JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ
2. Miguel Cotto
3. Manny Pacquiao
4. Antonio Margacheato
5. Victor Ortiz
6. Rafael Marquez
7. Israel Vazquez
8. Jorge Arce