PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner appreciating thread

sook
12-04-2008, 11:03 PM
This guy looks badass, exactly what a coach would expect from a player, all hardwork and determination you can tell he is giving it all he's got out there.
7 points i think already :wow

hater
12-04-2008, 11:37 PM
not to mention Oberto. Oberto has been a beast in the boards.

If Matt + Oberto play like this nobody is beating us

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2008, 11:41 PM
stats are meaningless if you dont win the game

xtremesteven33
12-04-2008, 11:53 PM
you guys suck.

im done

sa_kid20
12-04-2008, 11:54 PM
stats are meaningless if you dont win the game

Well a 20 point lead at the half is a nice start.

z0sa
12-04-2008, 11:54 PM
:tu Bonner is the man. He's really doing good out there right now. His shots were going to fall this game after missing a few good ones Tuesday. let's hope he keeps it up the second half.

cheguevara
12-04-2008, 11:55 PM
I've got a Boner for Matt Bonner

xtremesteven33
12-05-2008, 12:01 AM

:tu

xtremesteven33
12-05-2008, 12:01 AM

BONER 4 BONNER

spread it like wildfire haha

Chris
12-05-2008, 12:02 AM
lmao

z0sa
12-05-2008, 12:03 AM
ive had one of those for a while

urunobili
12-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Booner is doing gr8 finally turning into trade Fodder..

hater
12-05-2008, 12:04 AM
what a sexy mofo. I would tear that redhaired ass up

ClingingMars
12-05-2008, 12:14 AM
What ever happened to BonnerDynasty?

-Mars

Anti.Hero
12-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Sequ where you at homie.

BonnerDynasty
12-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Bonner just doing what Bonner do.

ClingingMars
12-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Bonner just doing what Bonner do.

A BONNERDYNASTY SIGHTING!

-Mars

SpursFanFirst
12-05-2008, 01:21 AM
:ihit bonnnnnnnnnnner! :ihit

HarlemHeat37
12-05-2008, 01:21 AM
who is this Bonner? it's not the same guy we've known for years..

this is a new Bonner..an aggressive Bonner..most importantly, a CONFIDENT Bonner..I love when he shoots every time he's open, he doesn't even hesitate anymore..he's also been aggressive on the boards..he makes a few shots, and he gets more active everywhere else..

I guess Tolliver served his purpose..it was Pop's plan all along..

benefactor
12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Matt...you're aiight. :)

Warlord23
12-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Don't jinx it! Bonner sucks!
:angel

Avitus1
12-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Bonner still sucks... just had a bit of unsucky games...

timvp
12-05-2008, 01:33 AM
This version of Bonner who doesn't overthink the game is pretty damn good. He stopped pouting and freezing up after a mistake. He basically stopped caring and went out there and started playing. That change in outlook has made him a much smarter basketball player because now he reacts instead of trying to think every step through.

Huge improvement as of late. But he's going to have to keep proving it over and over to keep that starting gig. If he starts thinking again, he could come tumbling down and roll back into the doghouse.

Bender
12-05-2008, 01:33 AM
I didn't notice him playing much in the 2nd half...

MrChug
12-05-2008, 01:34 AM
I'll chime in...good enough.

SequSpur
12-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Sequ where you at homie.

present...

come on guys, bonner is not that good.

xellos88330
12-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Go Matt Go!!!

SpursFan0728
12-05-2008, 01:39 AM
i am in

TDfan2007
12-05-2008, 01:41 AM
present...

strokes the 3, plays servicable D (although he's not an intimidator like Tim), and knows his role. Works for me.

Manufan909
12-05-2008, 01:43 AM
I didn't notice him playing much in the 2nd half...

Pop went small.

ehz33satx
12-05-2008, 01:45 AM
The difference with Robert Horry and Matt Bonner is that Matt Bonner is going to give it his all every game. Thank God this year for Matt Bonner!
Another thing, Roger Mason has to chill out with all the 3 point attempts! He went 2 for 10 this game. If he had attacked the basket and got some and 1's, he would have scored like 20 points today.

AFBlue
12-05-2008, 01:58 AM
present...

I was on the "Bonner Blows" bandwagon with you for over a year man...but this guy is not the same player.

For starters....he defends! I mean, he's not the greatest defender in the world, but he doesn't look lost on the court and his on-ball defense (especially out on the perimiter) is head and shoulders above where it's been in past years.

It used to be you could count on Bonner to miss a few rotations, to make cheap fouls that result in and-1 opportunities, and to get frustrated out on the court....not anymore. He's notably different.

On his shooting, I think he'll come back down to earth, but the fundamentals are there for him to get open looks when he plays off of Tim. I think the guy found the right place to be and Pop found the right combo to work off of.

This is not to say Bonner is "the answer" to the Spurs frontcourt woes (outside of Duncan), but if he keeps up the defense and picks his spots to shoot...he's definitely part of the solution going forward.

I used to think the Spurs were going to pawn this guy off on someone next off-season, but the way he's playing now I think he's got a legit shot of playing here through his contract and maybe getting a deal in 2010...depending on what's out there.

SequSpur
12-05-2008, 01:59 AM
dude, they haven't beaten a good team this year. call me when that happends, until then bonner gets no credit from me.

vander
12-05-2008, 01:59 AM
strokes the 3, plays servicable D (although he's not an intimidator like Tim), and knows his role. Works for me.

that's poetic :toast

PuttPutt
12-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Glad to see Bonner starting getting his shit together.

DPG21920
12-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Nuggets are not a good team Sequ?

johnnyblues
12-05-2008, 02:19 AM
...and the Rockets?

Borosai
12-05-2008, 02:20 AM
Bonner needs some love from the sigs around here...

Manufan909
12-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Bonner needs some love from the sigs around here...

Switch that blonde bitch in your sig with Bonner swishing a 3 then.:hat

wijayas
12-05-2008, 02:39 AM
I've been saying that Pop plays Bonner to showcase as a trade bait. hell, if he keeps on playing this well, we might as well keep him!

Blackjack
12-05-2008, 02:55 AM

this is a new Bonner..an aggressive Bonner..most importantly, a CONFIDENT Bonner..I love when he shoots every time he's open, he doesn't even hesitate anymore..he's also been aggressive on the boards..he makes a few shots, and he gets more active everywhere else..

Tolliver deserves a lot of credit for Bonner turning the corner imo. Had it not been for Tolliver and his lack of hesitaion/lack of concious shooting, I'm not sure we'd be seeing this Bonner.

To see Tolliver being praised by coaches and teammates alike for just letting it fly,(even while being mired in a shooting slump) seems to have been what was needed for it to finally "click" for him.

I still feel Bonner's better suited coming off the bench to provide a spark with his energy and hustle, but I'm really glad to see Bonner having the kind of success he's having.

He's taken a lot of crap on this board, but no one can ever question Bonner's work-ethic or committment to being the player the Spurs hoped he would be. It's just nice to see him finally getting the results.

Anti.Hero
12-05-2008, 03:52 AM
I was a bonner fan when he first got here, then got frustrated that he wasn't really improving.

What I saw tonight was ridiculous. He did not look like Bonner, he was Matt MF'ing Bonner. The big man is quick. He stays in front of his man and doesn't go straight to a foul. Doesn't have the best of hands but he did good with boards tonight. He missed a couple rotations and left his man open, but he was switching pretty damn fast tonight and did not look lost!

He HAS improved tremendously on defense since he got here.

Borosai
12-05-2008, 04:31 AM
Too tings:

Wun - Hee hass uh pohkur faysse naoo wenn hee pleiz. Hee beeleevz hee beelawns.

Too - Garrnete betur wotch owt tis jeer.

tp2021
12-05-2008, 04:41 AM
the way he's playing now I think he's got a legit shot of playing here through his contract and maybe getting a deal in 2010

Whoa now...

:lol

tp2021
12-05-2008, 04:45 AM
http://spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

Someone make my day and slap Matt's face on this thing.

Austin_Toros
12-05-2008, 05:12 AM
bonner played well against denver
fantastic shooting who set up our lead early!

Manufan909
12-05-2008, 06:18 AM
I was a bonner fan when he first got here, then got frustrated that he wasn't really improving.

What I saw tonight was ridiculous. He did not look like Bonner, he was Matt MF'ing Bonner. The big man is quick. He stays in front of his man and doesn't go straight to a foul. Doesn't have the best of hands but he did good with boards tonight. He missed a couple rotations and left his man open, but he was switching pretty damn fast tonight and did not look lost!

He HAS improved tremendously on defense since he got here.

Me, too. But I didn't fall off the bandwagon til the beginning of this season. I'm back no now, shit. Hope he keeps his minutes, and KT cuts into Duncan's and Fab's minutes.

I must admit, the old Fab seemed to be back. He can be a very physical player, and tonight he really showed that.

SenorSpur
12-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Simply can't believe how active Bonner is. He's keeping rebounds alive, hustling on post defense and basically being menace out on the floor. He also appears to be shooting with confidence for the first time in a Spurs uniform. Now that he's a starter, he's really helping spread the floor for Duncan. It's wonderful to see. I just hope he can keep it up.

Who would've ever thought Bonner would pass up both Fab and KT in the rotation?

mrspurs
12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Simply can't believe how active Bonner is. He's keeping rebounds alive, hustling on post defense and basically being menace out on the floor. He also appears to be shooting with confidence for the first time in a Spurs uniform. Now that he's a starter, he's really helping spread the floor for Duncan. It's wonderful to see. I just hope he can keep it up.

Like anti hero. I was really happy with Matt. Then they brought in Kurt and things went to heck. To answer your question in all honesty. It cant be hard to outplay Fab and Kurt. Ill take Matt and his play over Fab and Kurt anyday. I just hope he continues to play like he has. No more Timmy rubbing his head after a mistake. Just go in there and dont look like Fab and Kurt and the job is yours. 2 blocks? Amazing but it was against a smaller lineup the Nuggets have. Timmy always has his day when playing against smaller lineups.

tp2021
12-05-2008, 10:02 AM

CIA Pop.

:smokin

T Park
12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
dude, they haven't beaten a good team this year. call me when that happends, until then bonner gets no credit from me.

Uh they just did oompa..

Stump
12-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Bonner is absolutely playing fantastic, but I hesitate to label him as the answer to our big man woes.

He's doing great in the regular season, but once the playoffs start, will he still be so productive? He's a hustle guy that gives it his 100% every night, so it's not like he can step up the intensity levels much higher than he already is. Also, Bonner has had issues with letting the pressure get to him, even if it's only the regular season, so I'm nervous about him remaining tough in the demanding postseason atmosphere.

Of course, I'm all for him proving me wrong.

SenorSpur
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Bonner is absolutely playing fantastic, but I hesitate to label him as the answer to our big man woes.

He's doing great in the regular season, but once the playoffs start, will he still be so productive? He's a hustle guy that gives it his 100% every night, so it's not like he can step up the intensity levels much higher than he already is. Also, Bonner has had issues with letting the pressure get to him, even if it's only the regular season, so I'm nervous about him remaining tough in the demanding postseason atmosphere.

Of course, I'm all for him proving me wrong.

Yeah, I'm not ready to pronounce Bonner as the answer either. It's just great to see some positive energy and consistent contribution from him - starting or not. It's a long season, so we'll see if Bonner's got the cahones and the necessary staying power.

MarHill
12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=SenorSpur;2944227]Yeah, I'm not ready to pronounce Bonner as the answer either. It's just great to see some positive energy and consistent contribution from him - starting or not. It's a long season, so we'll see if Bonner's got the cahones and the necessary staying power.[/QUOTE

I agree.

He has played well and deserves credit for that so far.

Let's see if he can continue further into the season.

:flag:

z0sa
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Bonner could have easily been intimidated this game of all games, having to guard Nene for long stretches. Instead, he played great and very solid man AND help D. His shot was falling and I daresay anytime that happens, Pop needs to milk him as long as possible next to Tim, because that makes Tim nigh unguardable.

wijayas
12-05-2008, 11:35 AM
If the red rocket keep hitting 3s and rebounding, just maybe his performance might convince a team like Portland or OKC to part with an athletic PF like Frye or Wilcox.

kman, who's that in your pic? she's wonderfully hot! :wow :wow :wow

InK
12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
He was almost flawless yesterday, good rebounding, hustle, energy, shooting; if he decides to play like this every day of the week, then i can stop setting the alarm clock for 5am. Would be appreciated.

z0sa
12-05-2008, 11:55 AM
He was almost flawless yesterday, good rebounding, hustle, energy, shooting; if he decides to play like this every day of the week, then i can stop setting the alarm clock for 5am. Would be appreciated.

:lol what?

InK
12-05-2008, 11:59 AM

A continent, called europe. :depressed

z0sa
12-05-2008, 12:02 PM
A continent, called europe. :depressed

Wouldn't you still have to set your alarm clock for 5am to see the spurs game??

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-05-2008, 12:03 PM

I think he's saying that when Bonner plays badly he's required to wake up Europe at 5 am.

td4mvp21
12-05-2008, 12:03 PM
This pains me to say it, but Bonner has been doing very well lately :lol

I just worry he won't be able to offer anything against the tougher frontcourts in the league (Utah, Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, etc.)

z0sa
12-05-2008, 12:08 PM

I just worry he won't be able to offer anything against the tougher frontcourts in the league (Utah, Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, etc.)

I would call the Nuggets frontcourt one of the toughest, at least with him guarding Nene a good stretch of his PT ...

Lakers, he is perfect for Pau if you ask me. Pau will be looking to get calls however, so we'll see come January.

Celtics, Pau guarded KG ... and I daresay Bonner is a better MAN defender than Pau.

K-State Spur
12-05-2008, 12:41 PM
If the red rocket keep hitting 3s and rebounding, just maybe his performance might convince a team like Portland or OKC to part with an athletic PF like Frye or Wilcox.

If Bonner can keep playing like this (at least more often than not) - then he himself solves a lot of the problems.

He gives you the big man who can spread the floor. Not a great defender, but a high effort guy on that end.

Fab is a good position defender that is a terrific passer and screen setter - even if he's never going to light up the scoreboard with points/rebounds himself.

Thomas is a decent rebounder who can usually hold his own with the more physical bigs.

All you're really lacking is a shot-blocker, but the team really hasn't had a second one of those since Robinson retired.

HarlemHeat37
12-05-2008, 01:16 PM
actually, Bonner is perfect against the Lakers..

LA's main weaknesses this year have been PG's penetrating on them and big men that can shoot..PG's because they have horrible defensive PG's and big men that can shoot, because it takes 1 of their 7 footers out of the paint..

that's what happened with Detroit and Indiana..

T Park
12-05-2008, 01:19 PM

God wheres the puke icon.

Wilcox?

What the hell are you smoking?

T Park
12-05-2008, 01:21 PM

Yeah because a Spurs player doing well is bad.

z0sa
12-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah because a Spurs player doing well is bad.

Matt Bonner doing good is even bad. Didn't you get the memo?

mexicanjunior
12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Bonner played very well last night. When he shoots with confidence and scores those little floaters in the paint, he is highly effective. Of our remaining big men not named Duncan, I would say he is our best rebounder as well...

T Park
12-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Matt Bonner doing good is even bad. Didn't you get the memo?

No lucious I did not :lol

xtremesteven33
12-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Bonner has the potential to be a Lakers nightmare when it comes to offense. The Lakers have 2 7 footers in the lane and with another big who cant shoot wouldnt really spread the court for the spurs offense.

With Bonner in the starting lineup, he would drag out Bynum or Gasol out further from the basket forcing them to guard him or he will bury the 3 all night long.

hopefully this would work.

z0sa
12-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Bonner has the potential to be a Lakers nightmare when it comes to offense. The Lakers have 2 7 footers in the lane and with another big who cant shoot wouldnt really spread the court for the spurs offense.

With Bonner in the starting lineup, he would drag out Bynum or Gasol out further from the basket forcing them to guard him or he will bury the 3 all night long.

Agree. Tim was maliciously doubled and even tripled every single time he got the ball. And if you can't double him... well, to quote Phil jackson himself:

"If Tim Duncan has 4 monster games out of 7, you will not beat the Spurs."

BlackBellamy
12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
BONER 4 BONNER

spread it like wildfire haha

You have a red rocket for THE Red Rocket. easy s'pose.

Bender
12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
in ducks case, it would be: Boner 4 Booner

Manufan909
12-05-2008, 04:02 PM

I like the way you think, but I never thought I'd here anyone on ST say Bonner was a nightmare for anyone other than Pop.:hat

And he seems to be a solid defender now, too. He didn't fall for Billups shit, and he played hard on Nene the whole night. Hope he can stay near this level. Since his game relies on heart and energy, i don't see why not.

Stump
12-05-2008, 08:52 PM
The Spurs are in an interesting situation with their bigmen. They really don't have anybody who truly deserves to start next to Tim Duncan, but they do have a slew of average bigmen who are atleast worthy of playing time on an NBA team. With the roster as it currently is, we have several guys who each have very different strengths and weaknesses in Bonner, Oberto, Thomas, and Mahimni. I'm hoping that Pop takes advantage of the options and possibilities this presents when matching up with the frontcourts of other contenders.

Of course, the ideal situation would be trading around for a true starting center, but I'm not going to hold my breath that we get Kaman.

AFBlue
12-05-2008, 09:28 PM
The Spurs are in an interesting situation with their bigmen. They really don't have anybody who truly deserves to start next to Tim Duncan, but they do have a slew of average bigmen who are atleast worthy of playing time on an NBA team. With the roster as it currently is, we have several guys who each have very different strengths and weaknesses in Bonner, Oberto, Thomas, and Mahimni. I'm hoping that Pop takes advantage of the options and possibilities this presents when matching up with the frontcourts of other contenders.

Of course, the ideal situation would be trading around for a true starting center, but I'm not going to hold my breath that we get Kaman.

Well put...

Bonner - The perimeter-shooting big
Oberto - The passing big
Thomas - The low-post defending big
Mahinmi - The athletic big

Together they make one hell of a starting center, and each is good for certain matchups.

IMO, the one that plays the best off Duncan is probably Bonner. And the most complete big (outside of Duncan) is probably Thomas.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
12-05-2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.facebook.com/people/Nadia-Bonner/513865060

wisnub
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
I appreciate him now that the game is over....everybody shoots extremely well..i think we should stay aggresive all year and got confidence high and just go out there and play like crazy. Boston can do that, and I believe we can do the same. Bonner has been a dissapoinment in the past,but i guess its partly mentally..now that Pop already instruct him to shoot with confidence if he's open (I heard Reggie or somebody said Pop told him: if you dont shoot it, i will shoot you down myself next to me :lmao ). Hill and Mason become consistent in their good performance....i think in addition to Big 3 performance, if Mason,Hill and Bonner keep playin like this the whole year: Spurs will get 5th Championship title. :lobt2:

raspsa
12-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I hope Boston and San Antoinio meet in the Finals.. am really looking forward to a Scalabrine vs. Bonner matchup to see who has the better redhead.:lol

Manufan909
12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
I hope Boston and San Antoinio meet in the Finals.. am really looking forward to a Scalabrine vs. Bonner matchup to see who has the better redhead.:lol

I'm looking forward to Hill vs. Rondo myself.

peskypesky
12-06-2008, 12:35 AM
The difference with Robert Horry and Matt Bonner is that Matt Bonner is going to give it his all every game. Thank God this year for Matt Bonner!
Another thing, Roger Mason has to chill out with all the 3 point attempts! He went 2 for 10 this game. If he had attacked the basket and got some and 1's, he would have scored like 20 points today.

:toast

Totally agree with you on both points.

1. Horry was burnt toast. Bonner is white bread. Not as much fiber as whole grain, but still some nutritional value.
2. Pop better redirect Mason. He may have taken Barry's place, but that doesn't mean he should ape what was left of Barry's game (i.e. shooting treys). Mason can create and drive, so he's got to do that more. It will also help when he does shoot a three, because the defender will have to play off him a bit in anticipation of a drive. But y'all knew that already.

Obstructed_View
12-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Hill vs Rondo
Bonner vs Scalabrine
Duncan vs KG
Bowen vs Jesus Shuttlesworth
Duncan vs the city of Boston

Obstructed_View
12-06-2008, 12:37 AM
2. Pop better redirect Mason. He may have taken Barry's place, but that doesn't mean he should ape what was left of Barry's game (i.e. shooting treys). Mason can create and drive, so he's got to do that more. It will also help when he does shoot a three, because the defender will have to play off him a bit in anticipation of a drive. But y'all knew that already.

Mason's also a great two point shooter. He should realize the value in that. He got a 24 second violation last night because he passed up a good look at a two. The Spurs would be nearly impossible to beat if they took half of those threes from two or three feet closer to the basket.

SpurSupremacist
12-06-2008, 08:23 AM

OH MAN. OOH MMAN. I just can't believe this. You Popobitch sheep BAFFLE me.

This is the exact same Bonner you've seen. This is just the Bonner that is getting consistent playing time, instead of Robert "I was done 3 years ago" Horry, who Popobitch decided to play instead of Bonner. This wasn't Popobitch's plan, he's just a lucky idiot. If Thomas were healthy we'd probably be pissing into the wind, playing him instead of Bonner, just like Horry before. Bonner has always played this way when he gets into the game. He's always played his hardest. This isn't anything new. He's done it since he played for Toronto. Popobitch just doesn't know what he's doing. Luckily enough for him, he has 3 all-stars on his roster. So here's until the next Jacque Vaughn sighting, with Hill on the bench! Cheers!

Manufan909
12-06-2008, 03:44 PM
OH MAN. OOH MMAN. I just can't believe this. You Popobitch sheep BAFFLE me.

This is the exact same Bonner you've seen. This is just the Bonner that is getting consistent playing time, instead of Robert "I was done 3 years ago" Horry, who Popobitch decided to play instead of Bonner. This wasn't Popobitch's plan, he's just a lucky idiot. If Thomas were healthy we'd probably be pissing into the wind, playing him instead of Bonner, just like Horry before. Bonner has always played this way when he gets into the game. He's always played his hardest. This isn't anything new. He's done it since he played for Toronto. Popobitch just doesn't know what he's doing. Luckily enough for him, he has 3 all-stars on his roster. So here's until the next Jacque Vaughn sighting, with Hill on the bench! Cheers!

Damn, why do I always agree with posts that are offensive first, making an actual point second. I also think that Bonner getting serious minutes has been the major reason for his increased D and efficiency.

You forgot to mention Bonner having a new mindset though...

superbigtime
12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Bonner has been playing very well. His best stretch as a Spur. He will never have more trade value. I hope the FO is keeping their eyes open for a savvy big man who can shoot, pass, defend, rebound, and score. It's gonna take more than Bonner to get him...maybe MB plus Kurt plus JV.

Thompson
12-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Hollinger actually says something about Bonner in his "insider" article. Guess that means Bonner's PER is really good or something. I hope Matt is able to keep this up. I think Kurt was improving too before he missed the game for his new daughter.

xtremesteven33
12-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Well put...

Bonner - The perimeter-shooting big
Oberto - The passing big
Thomas - The low-post defending big
Mahinmi - The athletic big

http://i36.tinypic.com/2hdmy6s.jpg

all rolled into one :(

The Truth #6
12-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but if Bonner continues to play as he has been, he should get at least some consideration for MIP. I'm not saying he'll win it (Mason has a better chance) but he should be in the conversation.

mystargtr34
12-07-2008, 12:43 AM
14 and 6 tonight on 6-9 in just 19 minutes

Blackjack
12-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Bonner...

The Maggette-Stopper. :smokin

Stump
12-07-2008, 01:00 AM
14 and 6 tonight on 6-9 in just 19 minutes

Be careful about getting hyped up about our bigs' stats against Golden State.

tp2021
12-07-2008, 01:01 AM

all rolled into one :(What a beautiful man.
Not Malone.

Anti.Hero
12-07-2008, 01:35 AM
From what I remember of the 1st half tonight, Bonner looked really comfortable out there.

He flows with the rest of the offense now. He was handing out some nice assists.

mystargtr34
12-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Be careful about getting hyped up about our bigs' stats against Golden State.

He hit his shots, thats all we can ask. Most times hes the guy left open regardless of opponent.

E20
12-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Damn

Borosai
12-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Whammy!

Manufan909
12-07-2008, 03:29 AM
Damn, I missed most of Bonners performance, but I did get to see his trailing the break 3, and some sweet layups after that. Glad Fab has progressed too. GS isn't a good stick to measure bigs against, but they all did very well, even KT.

SpurSupremacist
12-07-2008, 07:23 AM
If the front office has any brains at all, which I'm assuming they don't, they won't trade Bonner. That said, look for him to be packaged in a deal for Brad Miller at the all-star break. hahaha

Brazil
12-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Props to Matt he is really good right now... may be trading him is not such a good idea after all :)

Texas_Ranger
12-07-2008, 07:50 AM
:clap

he really is playing well!...Just keep it up Matt!:hat

Spurtacus
12-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Dear Matt,

I'm sorry. Please keep up the great play all season long. You are our saviour. Championship is in your hands.

byrdman31
12-07-2008, 10:02 PM

all rolled into one :(

:depressed:depressed we need to bring him back.... I know he can still do some damage in there.. like knock Gasol ass to the floor...

xtremesteven33
12-07-2008, 10:06 PM
as good as bonner is playing (and i do hope he continues to do so). I just dont see this current lineup as long term. Maybe hell prove me wrong but i just dont see it happening.

I eventually see this happening:

Oberto
Duncan
Bowen
Ginobili
Parker

now that is a championship lineup that im used to.

anakha
12-10-2008, 10:24 AM
You know Bonner's turned his game around when people are clamoring to sub him back in and are bitching that he hasn't gotten enough shots, like in this past game.

Anti.Hero
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM
wtf is this guy eating.

ClingingMars
12-10-2008, 08:58 PM
bonner who are you and why didn't you do this last season.

-Mars

z0sa
12-10-2008, 09:36 PM
All the Bonner haters looking bad now ... all this guy needed was consistent playing time and its painfully obvious.

SPURS21
12-10-2008, 09:39 PM
wow 10 boards in the first half....
never been a Bonner fan but he is slowly turning me into one. When playing well he is almost the perfect complement to TD

z0sa
12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
wow 10 boards in the first half....
never been a Bonner fan but he is slowly turning me into one. When playing well he is almost the perfect complement to TD

FINALLY people understanding ... seriously, he's yet another 3pt threat, he plays physical D but is deceptively quick footed, and has the ability to rebound at a consistent rate.

I do hope KT rounds into shape and/or Mahinmi comes through in terms of rebounding, because the bigger frontlines will overwhelm Bonner over a long playoff run, but I still think he could be the best answer we've got. When he's playing confident he's even proving an adept passer from the high post. Those little runners he shoots could be fatal if teams forget about him, and with how high energy he is ... he could make guys like Dirk work over a series.

Let's j ust hope he doesn't regress with his defensive rotations, because it all began with his improvement on that end of the floor.

wisnub
12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Matt Bonner continued to impress all of us. Fab is also playing good rebound and do little bit scoring himself. If Hill, Mason,Bonner,Fab keep playing like this all the way to the Finals, championship is pretty much assured. That is not empty statement..all this time Spurs are lacking bench with this condition..nobody will beat Spurs

AC#21_TD ERA
12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Go the Red Rocket that what happens when the coach shows faith in you and doesn't yank you from the game for a mistake. If Pop stuck with Beno the same way then he would of worked out fine aswell. I think Pop is still learning as a coach and is starting to see the light. Ive said all along that Matt Bonner can play he just needed consistent playing time to live up to his full potential and now he's doing that. :smokin

DROB4EVER
12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Man Bonner is Ball'n! Rebounding well, scoring if he can become a solid defender we will be a much better team. Still would like to see Thomas come around and Ian give us some shot blocking this year.

Avitus1
12-10-2008, 10:51 PM
All of a sudden.... Bonner seems like an actual NBA player and not like an NCAA player....

Borosai
12-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Boooooooonnnnnnnneeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Yawn Maheenmee
12-10-2008, 11:11 PM
wtf is this guy eating.

Five Dollar Foot Longs! :lol

Manufan909
12-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Five Dollar Foot Longs! :lol

:downspin:

Like others have said, if Bonner had gotten ALL of Horry's minutes last year maybe he could've done this in the POs. But no, Pop likes to pimp his favorites a little too much.

Yawn Maheenmee
12-10-2008, 11:24 PM
:downspin:

Like others have said, if Bonner had gotten ALL of Horry's minutes last year maybe he could've done this in the POs. But no, Pop likes to pimp his favorites a little too much.

I agree. Hopefully Bonner can keep it going.

Manufan909
12-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I agree. Hopefully Bonner can keep it going.

And hopefully th player you named yourself after can get playing time before I turn 20(which will be in the middle of Feb, so he needs to hurry his ass up).

Yawn Maheenmee
12-10-2008, 11:37 PM
And hopefully th player you named yourself after can get playing time before I turn 20(which will be in the middle of Feb, so he needs to hurry his ass up).

Im pretty sure he'll play this year just not sure when. Maybe next week. I just HOPE he can make some kind of consistent contribution. Rebound/Block/Dunk.

silverblackfan
12-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Bonner is the Man! He has been hustling as usual, but really seeing where the ball is going and moving better. I hope his confidence stays up, because he is the missing link we need.

m33p0
12-10-2008, 11:41 PM
damn, Matt failed to get 1 more point for a double-double!

duncan228
12-11-2008, 01:51 AM
The winning wall.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wallpaper_081210.jpg

Manufan909
12-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Matt FTW!!!!!!!!!!

duncan228
12-11-2008, 02:09 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/bonner.jpg

tp2021
12-11-2008, 02:10 AM
The winning wall.

The Hawks #15 wants no part of the RED ROCKET! His burners are TOO HOT! READY for TAKEOFF!

Seriously, he is almost bowing in midair! I'm not worthy to wear #15! I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Manufan909
12-11-2008, 02:14 AM
The Hawks #15 wants no part of the RED ROCKET! His burners are TOO HOT! READY for TAKEOFF!

Seriously, he is almost bowing in midair! I'm not worthy to wear #15! I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

No, it is the reverse defensive technique, my young padawan. The point is to confuse the offensive player into missing. Apparently he still needs to practice that move.:lol

m33p0
12-11-2008, 05:15 AM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2006/10/bonner.jpg
Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
I'm a woman's man, no time to talk.
Music loud and women warm.
I've been kicked around since I was born.
And now it's all right, it's O.K.
And you may look the other way.
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man.
Whether you're a brother
Or whether you're a mother,
You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Feel the city breakin'
And ev'rybody shakin'
And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha,
Stayin' alive.
Stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha,
Stayin' alive.

wijayas
12-11-2008, 05:21 AM
:depressed:depressed we need to bring him back.... I know he can still do some damage in there.. like knock Gasol ass to the floor...

:lol :lol :lol

And if we meet the Celtics in the Finals, I am sure Matt will be more than obliged to take down Garnett. Bonner vs. Garnett 2.0.... :lol :lol :lol

Slomo
12-11-2008, 05:31 AM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/Bonner_spurs.jpg
We can try to understand
Whether you're a brother
Feel the city breakin'
And ev'rybody shakin'
Ah, ha, ha, ha,
Stayin' alive.
Stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha,
Stayin' alive.

Fixed!

m33p0
12-11-2008, 05:34 AM
Fixed!
:lol you rock, slomo!

JPB
12-11-2008, 06:42 AM

Even TD is scared by the red rocket !

BonnerTime
12-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey guys. As a big Raptors fan who just got the league pass this year, I found myself checking out as many Spurs games to see how one my all-time favourite players and person, Matt Bonner, was doing. As Bonner started playing better and better I started watching every Spurs game. I must say it has been great to see Bonner play so well. He was always a great shooter in Toronto. He made 18-20 foot jumpers look like layups, but once he got traded to the Spurs it looked like he would never get a chance to get off the bench. But he has really played well now to work himself into the starting lineup no less. He is playing strong defense, moving his feet, rebounding quite well, and he has just shooting whenever he has an open shot, and most of the time he's knocking them down. So it's great to see the Bonner love in San Antonio.

I just wanted to add that this is my first time seeing the Spurs and Tim Duncan on a regular basis, and he is so damn good. He makes everything look so easy. His defense is outstanding. He is so clutch, and I know this is nothing knew for you guys, but he is just so damn good. And to think you guys have been enjoying this for ten 10 years.

And after years of watching Sam Mitchell, my goodness is Pop and incredible coach. It is refreshing to watch a guy know exactly what to do at all times and who to play. Mitchell loved to stick Kapono on guys like Pierce down the stretch and watch him go for 17 points in the 4th. And if Pop doesn't like something, actually get on that player and give it to him. Mitchell, no matter what happened or how badly anyone would play, after the game would just say "the team wasn't making their shats and the other team made their shats. What can we do when they make their shats and we don't." That was his answer after every game.

Anyway, I'm going to continue watching and thought I'd leave you with an interview Bonner did with a radio station in Canada done at the end of November. His interview starts at 57:20 and at a little after an hour and five minutes he calls for Bonner-KG Round 2: Coming soon.

http://www.fan590.com/onair/hoops/media.jsp?content=20081120_230909_7156

urunobili
12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey guys. As a big Raptors fan who just got the league pass this year, I found myself checking out as many Spurs games to see how one my all-time favourite players and person, Matt Bonner, was doing. As Bonner started playing better and better I started watching every Spurs game. I must say it has been great to see Bonner play so well. He was always a great shooter in Toronto. He made 18-20 foot jumpers look like layups, but once he got traded to the Spurs it looked like he would never get a chance to get off the bench. But he has really played well now to work himself into the starting lineup no less. He is playing strong defense, moving his feet, rebounding quite well, and he has just shooting whenever he has an open shot, and most of the time he's knocking them down. So it's great to see the Bonner love in San Antonio.

I just wanted to add that this is my first time seeing the Spurs and Tim Duncan on a regular basis, and he is so damn good. He makes everything look so easy. His defense is outstanding. He is so clutch, and I know this is nothing knew for you guys, but he is just so damn good. And to think you guys have been enjoying this for ten 10 years.

And after years of watching Sam Mitchell, my goodness is Pop and incredible coach. It is refreshing to watch a guy know exactly what to do at all times and who to play. Mitchell loved to stick Kapono on guys like Pierce down the stretch and watch him go for 17 points in the 4th. And if Pop doesn't like something, actually get on that player and give it to him. Mitchell, no matter what happened or how badly anyone would play, after the game would just say "the team wasn't making their shats and the other team made their shats. What can we do when they make their shats and we don't." That was his answer after every game.

Anyway, I'm going to continue watching and thought I'd leave you with an interview Bonner did with a radio station in Canada done at the end of November. His interview starts at 57:20 and at a little after an hour and five minutes he calls for Bonner-KG Round 2: Coming soon.

http://www.fan590.com/onair/hoops/media.jsp?content=20081120_230909_7156

welcome to the board you'll have lots of fun on here... specially being a Bonner fan :stirpot:

Anti.Hero
12-11-2008, 01:11 PM
LOL, that wallpaper is the shot that got stuffed :(

Taco
12-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Matt Bonner-ism’s

When you open a can of whoop-ass, Matt Bonner jumps out

The Virgin Mary once saw an image of Matt Bonner in a piece of Toast

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks the closet for Matt Bonner

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Matt Bonner pajamas

If at first you don't succeed, you're not Matt Bonner

jcrod
12-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm finally becoming a Matt believer, I hope he doesn't wake up.

Bender
12-11-2008, 03:22 PM
bonner's got some biceps on him... make's tim's arms look skinny

Fingaroll44
12-11-2008, 03:26 PM
All the Bonner haters looking bad now ... all this guy needed was consistent playing time and its painfully obvious.

its what i been saying

Fingaroll44
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
LOL, that wallpaper is the shot that got stuffed :(

but the determined expression on Bonners face would make you think he owned everybody on that play :lol works for me

Manufan909
12-11-2008, 03:59 PM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2006/10/bonner.jpg
We can try to understand
Whether you're a brother
Feel the city breakin'
And ev'rybody shakin'
Ah, ha, ha, ha,
Stayin' alive.
Stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha,
Stayin' alive.

Bonner looks like a hitman in that pic.

And who'da thunk it that this thread would get to six pages, and possibly even more?:wow

Manufan909
12-11-2008, 04:03 PM
:lol you rock, slomo!

What did he fix exactly?

z0sa
12-11-2008, 05:33 PM
What did he fix exactly?

spurs logo on the shirt.

Bender
12-11-2008, 05:45 PM
spurs logo on the shirt.
:lol I didn't notice either, earlier today when I was goofing off at work.

pad300
12-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Matt Bonner Love on BDL

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Photo-Matt-Bonner-sleeps-with-a-pillow-under-hi?urn=nba,128481

superbigtime
12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I never hated Matt, but didn't think he ever would fit in or get consistent minutes...so I thought he may be a trade assett. But now, I don't want him to be traded. He is really playing well, both offensively and defensively. I think Matt has the ability to get under opponents' skin. Plus you know the Lakers fans are going to just hate him. : )

Manufan909
12-12-2008, 12:51 AM
spurs logo on the shirt.

Ah. In that case, I second the slomo rocks post then.:toast

duncan228
12-12-2008, 01:23 AM
A blog (http://durhamregion.typepad.com/emergency_planning/2008/12/winter-travels.html) by Bonner's mother-in-law.

Well folks, currently I am in Portland Oregon, having arrived here via San Antonio, Texas traveling all the way by Greyhound bus. It took two days to get to San Antonio from Toronto and another two days from there to Portland. My next stop is in Michigan. All stops on this 30 day trip are to family. As many of you know my son-in-law Matt Bonner plays for the San Antonio Spurs. My daughter Nadia invited me to one of his games during my visit. Anyone following his career may noticed his increased playing time, the number of times he has been named Player of the Game, and his point count increase per game. It is always nice to see your children getting on with their lives with success. Both Nadia and Matt along with their two dogs were gracious hosts, taking me to see the River Walk area and the Alamo in San Antonio. They also graciously invited a friend of mine to their home for a visit. My son Adam is also doing well with his new job working as an Assistant Banquet Manager for a major downtown hotel in the financial district. What a gift for any parent knowing both children are healthy, happy and managing their life well. Adam managing staff, and Nadia managing her life and homes with Matt. I am extremely proud of both of them.

Manufan909
12-12-2008, 02:54 AM
Holy crap, I would've loved to see Matt dontown! Too bad I live in Huntsville, the best I can hope for is to go pitbull on Clyde if I see him. He makes me sick every time I have to listen to his commentary.

SpurSupremacist
12-12-2008, 03:44 AM
So it's great to see the Bonner love in San Antonio.

I think you misunderstand the board, then. They love Bonner when he is doing well. Previously, 95% of the posters were calling for his head and dogging him continuously. Now, I know they don't know anything about basketball, but come on. It is ridiculous. If you're going to dog him and demand for him to be traded for no good reason at all, don't ride his dick now. That is all.

z0sa
12-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I think you misunderstand the board, then. They love Bonner when he is doing well. Previously, 95% of the posters were calling for his head and dogging him continuously. Now, I know they don't know anything about basketball, but come on. It is ridiculous. If you're going to dog him and demand for him to be traded for no good reason at all, don't ride his dick now. That is all.

A lot of people justify their hate, when in actuality, it was just fallacy in Pop's coaching. Holding the "If you fuck up at all I will bench you" thing over Bonner's head while sucking Horry and Finley's cock never made him confident. Now, Pop is out of options and Bonner is producing nicely - you know he's kicking himself in the ass for not playing him more, especially last PO.

This guy is gonna be HUGE vs the Lakers if he keeps this up.

de Soto
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Way too early. Lets first see what Bonner does in playoffs and then praise him if appropriate.

z0sa
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Way too early. Lets first see what Bonner does in playoffs and then praise him if appropriate.

More like way too late - could have been using him last season. This season he'd have been a beast from the get-go.

SpurSupremacist
12-12-2008, 07:45 PM
A lot of people justify their hate, when in actuality, it was just fallacy in Pop's coaching. Holding the "If you fuck up at all I will bench you" thing over Bonner's head while sucking Horry and Finley's cock never made him confident. Now, Pop is out of options and Bonner is producing nicely - you know he's kicking himself in the ass for not playing him more, especially last PO.

This guy is gonna be HUGE vs the Lakers if he keeps this up.

First and foremost, I agree with the Lakers comment. It's going to be hard for them to play with that huge lineup if Bonner is on the floor. Gasol can't play perimeter D, and neither can Bynum. Odom doesn't have the discipline.

I do think as soon as Bonner hits a mild cold spell he will be reduced to the bench again, which I think will be a huge mistake. You can't do that. You can't have players constantly looking over their shoulders, afraid to make a mistake. Hey, it won't be the first time. I'm used to Popobitch fucking up at this point. It was the same thing he did to Beno.

SpurSupremacist
12-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Oh, and by the way... why the fuck did Bonner not get into the game the other night hardly at all in the second half? He had 10 fucking rebounds at half time. What more does he need to do? I don't ever remember seeing Duncan with 10 rebounds at half time this year. Everyone already knows about his offense by now, so that goes without being said. What does this guy have to do? In my opinion, he has earned the right to play starter minutes, 35 minutes, every night. I could see if he was struggling, taking him out, but that was fucking ridiculous.

m33p0
12-12-2008, 09:18 PM
A blog (http://durhamregion.typepad.com/emergency_planning/2008/12/winter-travels.html) by Bonner's mother-in-law.
bus? ol' red head hates his mother-in-law. :lol

m33p0
12-12-2008, 09:22 PM
a lot of people here seems surprised by Matt. if you all remember, he had a few awesome games last season when tim went down with an ankle sprain.

Megabreath
12-12-2008, 10:28 PM
He's relaxed and he has more confidence. It's amazing what you can do if you know you're not going to be yanked as soon as you make a mistake.

Manufan909
12-13-2008, 04:09 AM
Wish the shots people got were relative to the %s, then maybe Mason, and Bonner would get the looks they deserve.

team-work
12-13-2008, 05:33 AM
I'm happy with Matt's achievement, but he has to do so in the playoffs in order to be successful by Spurs standard.

There will be no replacement of Big Shot Rob. His ability to handle pressure is unique.

Just hope Bonner can learn a little from his predecessor so that his play will not decline once the PO comes.

Fernando TD21
12-13-2008, 06:34 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Fernando_M/redrocket.jpg

Biernutz
12-13-2008, 07:31 AM
It's nice to see that Matt finally is fitting in. He is now playing the way the Spurs hoped he would when they got him. It's also nice to see Matt's effort when this is not a contract year for him. Matt contract is thru the 09'-10' season.

Manufan909
12-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Have to bump this with Bonner's contributions tonight. 17 and 8 is Duncan level, and he had to clutch jays in the fourth. Glad to see Pop put more faith in him.

Anti.Hero
12-15-2008, 12:06 AM

:lmao:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

z0sa
12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Bonner continues to improve all around. He got punked out repeatedly by Green but I thought he had a couple defensive stretches that were good - and Green is something else. The amount of talent in the League right now is pretty ridiculous.

Manufan909
12-15-2008, 01:27 AM

I loved when Pop pulled that shit on Shaq and then gave him a thumbs up.:lol And glad to see Red Rocket getting love from everyone. Still prefer Borosai's sig, it's beauty lies in it's simplicity.

bugmenot
12-15-2008, 04:01 AM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

sook
12-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Bump^

Bonner leading the NBA in 3 pt % :wow

Yorae
12-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Hey when was the last time a Spurs led the nba in 3 point %?

z0sa
12-16-2008, 12:25 AM

A week or two ago when Mason Jr was

Yorae
12-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Ah.. other than this season I mean, thanks anyway!

ivanfromwestwood
12-16-2008, 12:43 AM
wasnt it bowen a few years ago?

z0sa
12-16-2008, 12:45 AM
wasnt it bowen a few years ago?

I think you're right ... 2003?

Yorae
12-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah 2002-2003 season .441