PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed Trades

PM5K
02-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Seems a few deals are going down, including deals by the Sixers (Robinson), Celtics, and Rockets.

More details @ ESPN.com

ducks
02-24-2005, 12:44 PM
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia 76ers completed their second trade in two days, sending forward Glenn Robinson to the New Orleans Hornets for Jamal Mashburn and Rodney Rogers on Thursday.

Both Robinson and Mashburn have yet to play for their respective teams this year. Mashburn has a knee injury and may never play again.

Robinson, earning more than $12 million in the final year of his contract, is on the injured list with left ankle tendinitis though he's been unhappy since losing his starting forward spot in training camp.

Rogers can become a free agent at the end of the year. His 3-point shooting fits nicely with coach Jim O'Brien's offensive philosophy, but Rogers is only averaging 9.3 points and shooting just 27.5 percent from 3-point range.

Mashburn is making $9.3 million this year and $10.1 million next year, but seems likely to retire because of his knee injury. He hasn't played since last March.

The Sixers dramatically reshaped their roster late Wednesday night, acquiring five-time All-Star Chris Webber from Sacramento as part of a six-player deal.

Robinson averaged 16.6 points per game in his first season in Philadelphia last year -- down from his career average of 20.8. He lost his starting spot at small forward to rookie first-round pick Andre Iguodala in training camp and has rarely been seen with the team since then.

The new-look Sixers -- who are just a half-game behind the Boston Celtics in the Atlantic Division -- play at New York on Thursday night.

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Boston sends Jiri Welsch to the Cavs for a 2007 pick.

Bucks send Mike James to the Rockets for Reece Gaines and two picks.

Sixers send Glenn Robinson to the Hornets for Mashburn and Rodney Rogers.

ducks
02-24-2005, 12:46 PM
there is some posted in nba forum

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11144

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11141

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11142

ducks
02-24-2005, 12:47 PM
cavs need a outside shooter james was not cutting it

Egg
02-24-2005, 12:48 PM
can someone explain me why the philly/NO trade makes sense?

coz
02-24-2005, 12:52 PM
makes sense for philly. they get out from under big dog's contract, and get a possible all star center. Philly is looking tough.

ducks
02-24-2005, 12:53 PM
philly could challedge heat and pacers IF THEY GEL

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 12:54 PM
and get a possible all star center.

Who?

PM5K
02-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Pacers should be no problem with the way they have been playing, but do these trades give them what they need to challenge Miami and Detroit?

I guess we'll see...

ducks
02-24-2005, 12:56 PM
I bet the people who bet sixers winning it all this year are starting to get a little excited
the odds would had to be great
NOT SAYING SIXERS ARE TITLE CONTENDERS NOW THOUGH

ducks
02-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Marshall, a combo forward for the Toronto Raptors making $5.3 million in the last year of his contract, has been mentioned in trade rumors all season. The latest one has him possibly headed to Indiana for center Scot Pollard or a package of players.

pacers need him to keep up

davi78239
02-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Wow! what a difference 24 hours makes. Phili has just moved up remarkably with the likes of the heat, indiana, and company....provided they can all mesh together like mentioned above.

BronxCowboy
02-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Wow! what a difference 24 hours makes. Phili has just moved up remarkably with the likes of the heat, indiana, and company....provided they can all mesh together like mentioned above.

Well, they were already right there with the likes of Indiana, if you mean right around .500. Don't believe the hype that this is going to make them a challenger for the conference title, though. Webber is not what he used to be, and I really doubt that he'll be as productive in Philly as he was in Sacto. Completely different kind of team. It does appear to be an upgrade though, and they should easily win their division (not that it means much).

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Who?

Yeah, I don't see any all-star centers in that deal. Mashburn likely won't play again, and Rogers is a role player. Webber is not a center and wasn't part of the NO deal.

The NO-PHIL deal is about Philly getting a role player and taking on a bad contract while NO gets some cap relief heading into next season (since Big Dog's contract will go off the books).

Egg
02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
I still dont understand...

why did NO want to get rid of Mash (losing a role player) since it was clear that he was going to retire?

if he wasnt, why did Philly get him?

SLOVENIAN 8
02-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Phily looks strong now! Jirji is good one for Cavs.

Ignite
02-24-2005, 02:01 PM
HUGE FOR FANTASY PLAYERS! If you need another player, I am sure Welsh is available in some of your leagues! But my question is on Mike James, how will his fantasy value be affected by this trade?

coz
02-24-2005, 02:56 PM
"Who?"

Mash - I know he's got some knee issues, but he can play when healthy.

Egg
02-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Mash is a SF

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-24-2005, 03:05 PM
KVH for henderson and booth

usckk
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Another pointless move by the Mavs. They sign another high-priced, offensive player with no defense at all. Same old Dallas.

usckk
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
No more of a threat after the trade.

usckk
02-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Does the make Houston a bigger threat, since they got a better PG?

Spurminator
02-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Stupid.

MannyIsGod
02-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Mash was maybe a center in HS, and he may never play again.

exstatic
02-24-2005, 03:26 PM
So, now they have two seven foot shooting guards, KVH and Dirk?

usckk
02-24-2005, 03:31 PM
For payton.

GrandeDavid
02-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Un-freaking-believable!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-24-2005, 03:32 PM
hahaha.... what the hell is danny ainge doing?

exstatic
02-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Walker is an ending contract.

GrandeDavid
...and I cannot help but get a mighty kick out of Gary Payton's fate. I didn't want the Lakers to win a championship last season not just because I'm not a fan of Phil Jackson etc., rather I cannot stand Gary Payton. His arrogance and flapping gums make me sick. I am so, so happy that his punk ass will never ever win an NBA championship. Have fun in Lotterytown, Gar! :lol

texbound
I love it. Payton goes to Atlanta. Let's see if he shows up there.

TDominant
02-24-2005, 03:35 PM
he knew he fu..ed up the the first time so he wants to try tot put that team together again.
sucks for gp, im 100% sure he is not going to report to hawks.

exstatic
02-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Is Payton FA this summer? He should just suck it up, report, and play the last 20-something games. It would help his FA stock if he doesn't pout. It's not like Boston was going anywhere this year, either.

SLOVENIAN 8
02-24-2005, 03:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1998923

Jimcs50
02-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Payton stays on one team for 10 yrs, now he is gonna compete with Massenburgh for most teams played for.

:)

ShoogarBear
02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Did Mass ever play for five teams in two (calendar) years?

Seattle-Milwaukee-LA-Boston-Atlanta

Taco
02-24-2005, 03:48 PM
didn't KVH play for the mav's before?

ShoogarBear
02-24-2005, 03:49 PM

:rollin

No, that was {Dirk, Raef, Bradley}.

texbound
02-24-2005, 03:52 PM

Might be thinking of Laettner.

TDominant
02-24-2005, 03:53 PM
wow just a stupid move. KVH is very inconsistent and no defense at all. i really liked how henderson complimented dampier but shit good thing we have pop and rc.

adidas11
02-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Very strange move by Boston.

Jdspur20
02-24-2005, 04:00 PM
yall should here the local sports stations here in DFW, there like, what the hell???, lol its great, another dumb move by the mavs.

ducks
02-24-2005, 04:01 PM
walker comes off the books right though after this year

S4Spur21
02-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Better for the bucks?

Spurminator
02-24-2005, 04:09 PM
I understand Boston's motivation (expiring contract) but what the hell is Atlanta doing?

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Funny thing is that they were talking about giving Payton an extension like an hour or two ago. :lol

Spurminator
02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
NM... Payton comes off the books this season too.

BronxCowboy
02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
NM... Payton comes off the books this season too.
That's what I was thinking. This makes no sense whatsoever. I was one of the people that believed that Ainge had a plan when he shipped off Walker to start with, but now even I am convinced that he is an idiot. Ah, well. Philly is going to win the Atlantic anyway.

Spurminator
02-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, given the two expiring contracts, Walker might be a better fit for Boston to try to win their division. It might rejuvenate him and Pierce... at least this season.

Duff McCartney
02-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Moochie Norris is going back to H-Town...along with some other goon.

T Park
02-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Moochie Norris Vin Baker for Maurice Taylor.

What a horrible trade by Houston.
WTF, why would you want Baker instead of Taylor!??!?

That makes zero sense.

exstatic
02-24-2005, 05:08 PM
When his head is on straight, Baker is a more complete player than Mo Taylor. That remains a pretty big question, though.

Spurminator
02-24-2005, 05:08 PM
I'll bet Moochie was the target for Houston... not Baker.

Kori Ellis
02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Golden State in serious talks to trade Eduardo Najera and a first-round draft pick to Denver for Rodney White and Nikoloz Tskitishvili.

^^ Did that trade go through?

T Park
02-24-2005, 05:23 PM
great trade for Denver if it happens.

But, another Power Forward?!?!?!

Couldn't they use a shooting guard?!?!?!

totalspurshomer
02-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Moochie Norris Vin Baker for Maurice Taylor.

What a horrible trade by Houston.
WTF, why would you want Baker instead of Taylor!??!?

That makes zero sense.
Actually, it's strictly a cap move. You'll likely see Baker and Mooch on the pine or on IR, just like Taylor.
1. Taylor has 2 more years after this one and provides the same or less than Howard does.
2. Baker and Mooch have only one year after this. Mooch actually has another after that, but it's team option, so forget that.

This essentially gives the Rockets about 5 players whose contracts expire after next season, leaving TMac, Yao, and Howard with significant numbers. Hello free agency 2006. Those expiring deals could also be attractive in trade during next season. So if you study it for what it really is, ONLY a cap move, it's actually pretty good. They save about $10 mil(Taylor's last year) and reach financial flexibility one year earlier.

BTW, it was first reported that the Rockets also gave the Knicks a first rounder. That was wrong. It was the players above plus the Knicks gave the Rockets a second rounder.

T Park
02-24-2005, 07:01 PM
one of the Spurs's first rounders maybe?

IMO trading away taylor totally screws your chances at competitiveness in the playoffs this year.

With Taylor and Howard off the bench, Houston was a damn good front line.

Now theyll rely on Clarence Weatherspoon??? Holy cow.

totalspurshomer
02-24-2005, 07:33 PM
one of the Spurs's first rounders maybe?

IMO trading away taylor totally screws your chances at competitiveness in the playoffs this year.

With Taylor and Howard off the bench, Houston was a damn good front line.

Now theyll rely on Clarence Weatherspoon??? Holy cow.
Have to disagree. Pretty much all of the Rockets' turnaround this year was done with Taylor on IR and limited minutes before that. Howard has really outplayed him. As for depth, Padgett has been the main PF off the bench during the resurgence.

I'm certainly not implying that Padgett and Spoon are better than Taylor. That'd be nuts. But, again look at the whole picture. Your current group, minus Taylor, has done super. You add Mike James which will give you depth when Sura returns. Do you:

1. Keep Taylor so he can start if Howard goes down this season/postseason? OR,
2. Gamble that Howard stays healthy, do as well as you can in the playoffs, trade Taylor's contract and gain leverage for trades next year or FA 2006 rather than 2007?

Remember, the Rockets weren't intended to impact until 2 or 3 seasons from now. Anything they do now is only gravy. They're not fooling themselves into thinking they're NBA finals(or even WCF) worthy this year. The moves they've made after the TMac trade all involve lesser knowns, but they've ended up with good chemistry, shooters and role players. Now they've added cap flexibility ahead of schedule.

Hope that gives you the perspective they're looking at. Bottom line, Taylor wasn't a part of what they've accomplished, wasn't going to play unless Howard went down, and was a big cap strapper. Think Rose, in a bigger doghouse, and a much bigger cap number.

exstatic
02-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Think Rose, in a bigger doghouse, and a much bigger cap number.

Well said. Mo Taylor is the worst rebounder for someone 6'9" in the NBA. He's a TOTAL zero on the glass. He doesn't play defense either. Think: Antoine Carr, minus the sense of humor.

indianspur
02-24-2005, 10:44 PM
^^ Did that trade go through?

Golden State Warriors-Denver Nuggets: The Warriors traded Eduardo Najera, Luis Flores and a No. 1 pick to the Nuggets for forwards Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Rodney White.

ESPN Insider Chad Ford first reported the deal on Thursday.

The deal was far short of the blockbuster many thought the Nuggets needed to make a serious run at the postseason, although it should give them more depth. Tskitishvili, the fifth overall pick of the 2002 draft, turned out to be little more than a fan favorite and 12th man. White's playing time has diminished as the season progressed.

"We made the trade to get better," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "I don't think we really had a desire to really push anything crazy."

Najera is a fourth-year veteran who averages 4.2 points and 2.8 rebounds. Karl called him "a hustle guy, a physical guy" who gives the Nuggets a dimension they don't have.

Flores, a rookie second-round draft pick who made a name for himself last season at tiny Manhattan, rarely played for the Warriors, averaging 2.1 points over 15 games

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Denver got the better end of that deal just by getting rid of Tskitisucki.