PDA

View Full Version : Hochman: Quintessential off night as Nuggets fall to Spurs

wijayas
12-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Quintessential off night as Nuggets fall to Spurs

Anthony and Billups have a hard time, saddling the team with a difficult-to-overcome 20-point deficit by halftime.

By Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post
Updated: 12/05/2008 01:24:13 AM MST

The Spurs' Tony Parker goes up for a shot as Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin bats at the ball Thursday night. The Nuggets are one game behind Portland in the Northwest. The frustration radiated from Carmelo Anthony's right arm.

There was the forearm into Bruce Bowen's chest, an offensive foul on Melo. There was the goaltending. And there were the 10 missed shots after the first quarter (with just three made).

While Anthony played hard, he and the frustrated Nuggets couldn't get anything going in Thursday's 108-91 loss to San Antonio at the Pepsi Center in front of a similarly frustrated crowd.

The Nuggets (13-7) are a game behind the Trail Blazers (14-6), who lead the Northwest Division. Denver is 12-4 since Chauncey Billups entered the lineup but has lost the past two Thursdays to New Orleans and San Antonio — the Nos. 2 and 3 seeds in the Western Conference playoffs last season.

"I thought tonight we thought we were a little better than we were," said coach George Karl. "I said to the team during halftime: 'I don't know who you are right now. You're not the same team I've seen. We're settling for jump shots, not moving the ball freely.' "

Before the game, Karl said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had "some cards to play."

Denver had beaten San Antonio a few weeks ago and the Spurs (10-8) were coming off an embarrassing loss to Detroit, and Popo-vich had some unpleasant things to say about his club.

"I'm sure there will be an attitude that we will have to match early in the game," Karl said Thursday morning.

For a quarter, the Nuggets were able to do that.

It seemed like it would be an airtight game, with the Nuggets down just four after the first quarter. But in the second, it got ugly. The Spurs outscored Denver 31-15 in the second quarter — 12 from Manu Ginobili alone — and by the half, the Nuggets trailed 61-41.

"Our scouts were very worried about this game, psychologically," Karl said. "I presented it to the team this morning, and I think they listened — but I don't think they listened."

The 61 points allowed were six from a season worst, scored by the Lakers at the Staples Center on Nov. 21. In that game, the Lakers went to the half up 20, the biggest halftime deficit of Denver's season, tied on Thursday.

Early on, Anthony was peerless. He scored 10 points, twice pirouetting past Tim Duncan for a layup, twice hitting a long-range jumper. But after the first quarter, playing with a bruised right elbow, he lacked, well, oomph. Only occasionally was he able to slice through the lane, and his jump shot reverted to old form. He finished with 16 points and six rebounds in 41 minutes.

After playing his two best games statistically, Billups was frighteningly irrelevant. He finished with 12 and four. Before the game, Karl spoke of Billups as a possible MVP candidate. And while Billups' overall output has been stellar, Thursday was the quintessential off night.

The Nuggets couldn't help themselves even in the easiest of circumstances — at the line. They entered the game shooting 77.8 percent from the line, ninth-best in the NBA. On Thursday, they shot 60.9.The Spurs, 26th in free throws, shot 94.4 percent.

"The missed free throws in the third quarter could have made it a nine-point game, or at least a game of strategy," Karl said.

With Denver down 16 with 8:30 left, J.R. Smith simply heaved a jumper instead of running a play, and he did so right in front of Karl. The shot clanked, and Karl rolled back his head and looked to the sky. On Denver's very next possession, Smith did the exact same thing from nearly the exact same spot on the floor.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_11143732

tp2021
12-05-2008, 04:39 AM
With Denver down 16 with 8:30 left, J.R. Smith simply heaved a jumper instead of running a play, and he did so right in front of Karl. The shot clanked, and Karl rolled back his head and looked to the sky. On Denver's very next possession, Smith did the exact same thing from nearly the exact same spot on the floor.

It's literally the bottom line.

wijayas
12-05-2008, 04:40 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_11143732

And not too long ago, we Spurs fans covet JR Smith to add "athleticism" and "youth". :lol :lol :lol

Can you imagine what happens if we have JR and Correy Magette on our team? :bang

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-05-2008, 04:43 AM
meh it was just one of those nights. The Nuggets were cold and the Spurs were hot, what can you do except hope the team bounces back next game?

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-05-2008, 04:44 AM
And not too long ago, we Spurs fans covet JR Smith to add "athleticism" and "youth". :lol :lol :lol

Can you imagine what happens if we have JR and Correy Magette on our team? :bang

JR has a boat load of talent, what he lacks is discipline and IQ. If he ever gets them, then he will be an all star. Till then though he will just be a chucker

wijayas
12-05-2008, 04:46 AM
meh it was just one of those nights. The Nuggets were cold and the Spurs were hot, what can you do except hope the team bounces back next game?

Nuggets-Fan, I think it is beyond hot or cold shooting. Look at the rebounding stats.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-05-2008, 04:58 AM
yeh but im used to the Nuggets sucking in rebounding. Melo leads the team in rebounding as the SF! :lol

Nuggets knew they would miss camby's rebounding.

I'm not suprised that they got killed on the boards tonight. If you hit shots, then there is less rebounds available. They just couldn't hit anything.

tp2021
12-05-2008, 05:02 AM
yeh but im used to the Nuggets sucking in rebounding. Melo leads the team in rebounding as the SF! :lol

Nuggets knew they would miss camby's rebounding.

I'm not suprised that they got killed on the boards tonight. If you hit shots, then there is less rebounds available. They just couldn't hit anything.

There's nothing small about Melo. He could play PF if he wanted.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-05-2008, 05:09 AM
only if the Nuggets were playing international ball :lol

SenorSpur
12-05-2008, 05:37 AM
Camby usually made his presence felt against the Spurs. Nene is a very good low post player, but doesn't bring the defensive paint presence that Camby does.

mrspurs
12-05-2008, 06:39 AM
I liked the play of each of the players. Easy to see what happens when you let your players play Pop. But heres the reason we won again. 9-26 threes. Once again. 24 points from beyond that arc. Good ole Pop style basketball. It will beat the best(not call the nuggets the best or even close). And it will lose to the worse. Not calling the nuggets the worse. And like Senor said. With noone inside to stop layups and no 7fters to stop Timmy from making easy shots. This is how the spurs should play. I wouldnt expect to many games over 107 points. But Ill take the win. This game proves Pop lost the Piston games. It was not the players.