PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs last night

Ghazi
12-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Our beloved Mavs last night defeated the fading Suns 112-97, their best offensive game of the year. Dirk 39/9, Barea 18 points, Damp 9/14 and Terry continued his excellent performance.

As mentioned, good win, but not a great win because I feel the Suns are the 9th best team in the West right now. But, we did what we had to do! Outrebounded a bad rebounding team, and shot 51% against a bad defensive team. It's also pleasing that we held the Suns below their season averages in points and FG %. Outside of Amare/Nash, nobody did NUFFIN.

We gotta keep it going though, even with this 8-1 stretch we're still only 2 games above .500. The teams "good" right now, but perceptions change quickly... Suns started 9-3 for example, now they're 2-6 in last 8. If the Mavs suddenly lose 2 straight games, the pleasantry of this 8-1 stretch will be quickly forgotten.

I'm still vexed by the offensive stagnation at times. Our fast break execution is dubious at times, and in the halfcourt I see too many careless turnovers and "wasted possessions" with poor shots with less than 5 seconds left on the shot clock. The difference between good and great is 3-4 possessions per game, and we need to improve the quality of our 3-4 possessions per game. Overall though, the offensive execution was wonderful tonight, and Barea getting to the rim is a sight for sore eyes especially on a Mavs team that lacks true slashing.

Dampier outplayed Shaq.

Still wanna see a little more out of Kidd. He's not a scorer, but 8-10 points isn't too much to ask for! He only has 4 in the past 2 games.

The bench play is extremely pleasing, now it's just a matter of consistency. if we can get 3-4 consistent players off the bench we can be real good.

Dirk was due for a game like this, and I know it was the Suns defense but he was making some shots that he was missing in games prior. Let's hope this was the night Dirk breaked out of his early season shooting slump!

So, I'm pleased with our beloved Mavs right now, but for me to get truly excited I feel they will have to do one of the following:

1. Win the remaining 5 games on the homestand
2. Secure a road win against the Blazers/Nuggets/Jazz
3. Secure any win against the Lakers/Celtics/Cavs

Another comment, what is up with the TNT crew? Halftime, Dirk has a great first half, Mavs have a great first half, all they can talk about is Amare's whining about being the guy, Shaq being the best Sun so far, and the Suns problem. No credit to Dirk? No credit to how the Mavs have been playing lately? If James or Bryant had 24 at half they'd be all over his nuts! And then, Kenny and Webber imply the Suns are better than the Mavs even though this is not the case, and Charles says the Mavs will miss the playoffs. The lack of respect is mindboggling.

Anywho, keep it up Mavs. I kinda hope J-Ho comes back against the Hawks because they're a very athletic team. Hawks are a better measuring stick than the Suns in my opinion.

Go Mavs!

endrity
12-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Well TNT was all over the Mavs and Dirk in 07, for a change, and it let them down miserably. So I understand, but I don't care. We are starting to look good. I hope Howard contributes to the cause, not screw it up.

Shank
12-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Holy crap, the Suns looked bad.

And Shaq? It's sad to say, but the guy may be done.

Ghazi
12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
^ Shaq's been having a good year so far, but Dampier matches up well with him.

I expect Shaq's conditioning will cause him to look poor in the 2nd half of the seaosn though.

de Soto
12-05-2008, 05:19 PM
The suns are a sinking ship. Beating them at this point of their death rattle means nothing. The mavs will also collapse in due time unlike the Spurs who will just keep getting better and better on their way to #5. The only way the mavs will ever succeed if they dump the choker-polak Nowitski and rebuild around a new franchise player who actually has some balls.

Killakobe81
12-05-2008, 06:13 PM
The suns are a sinking ship. Beating them at this point of their death rattle means nothing. The mavs will also collapse in due time unlike the Spurs who will just keep getting better and better on their way to #5. The only way the mavs will ever succeed if they dump the choker-polak Nowitski and rebuild around a new franchise player who actually has some balls.

wow that is harsh id take dirk on my team anyday ...him and
Kobe would be fierce

The Troll Whisperer
12-05-2008, 06:21 PM
TSST!

Failure
12-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Your posts define me...

Findog
12-05-2008, 07:28 PM

http://www.jilliantamaki.com/sketchbook/uploaded_images/VLRG_TinyPenis.widec-762012.jpg

Indazone
12-05-2008, 08:24 PM
TSST!

You better have that tire looked at. I think you might have a leak.

Xylus
12-06-2008, 01:48 AM
I want to die.