PDA

View Full Version : It was a Win, but it wasn't pretty

DaBears
12-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes they won the game but it did not look good, still slugish and no fast break points.
And when i say NO points, i mean 0 fast break points!! That is bad
They do play defensive but it doesnt result in fast break points.

That hampers your offesive, and makes you strickly a jump shooting team!!

But hey its not all bad they did "win"

mrspurs
12-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Well in that case they played ugly the entire game for that win. And thats what everyone is looking for. Consistency. This team has to much talent, all be it just now getting to play with each other to have to many bad games in a row. And I do believe we're the ugliest winning team in the league. Well if you ask the media anyhows.

MarHill
12-05-2008, 09:37 AM
What game were you watching???? They outrebounded the Nuggets. They held the Nuggets under 45% shooting. They controlled the game from the second quarter. Denver never challenged from that point on.

The big three scored over 60+ points. It was the most impressive win of the season so far.

And you're lamenting the fact they didn't get fastbreak points.

Yikes!!!!!

mathbzh
12-05-2008, 09:42 AM
:dont :troll

m33p0
12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
108 points with no fastbreaks? awesome!

41times
12-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I think that was the best win of the year for the Spurs. They were playing a really hot team in the Nuggs. A very good win.

Is it likely that the Spurs, Mavs and Suns will be fighting for the last 2 playoff spots in the West?

DaBears
12-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes it was a win i agree, shooting was good but what happens when you cant hit a shot, like!! huh, the game before.
Yeah ur defensive contests shots but when you cant get a fast break game going it puts that much more pressure on you.
:king
And if spurs fan think that that was a fantastic game, in your words "cant get much better" then my fellow fan Surs are in trouble.

That performance cant beat the Laker or Celtics.

MrChug
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM

Well, I think you're STRICKLY ignoring the facts. We won, and in impressive fashion. If we lose but outscore the opposition 30-2 in fastbreak points, is that better? No, who cares. 1 word:

SCOREBOARD :rolleyes

K-State Spur
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Yes they won the game but it did not look good, still slugish and no fast break points.

Some of the greatest Spurs wins of all time weren't 'pretty.'

MarHill
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Yes it was a win i agree, shooting was good but what happens when you cant hit a shot, like!! huh, the game before.
Yeah ur defensive contests shots but when you cant get a fast break game going it puts that much more pressure on you.
And if spurs fan think that that was a fantastic game, in your words "cant get much better" then my fellow fan Surs are in trouble.

Again, I guess we were watching two different games. I will agree somewhat that getting some fastbreak points will help...but I believe that's an overrated part of the game.

The held the Nuggets to 91 points and under 45% shooting. The Nuggets scored 26 points in the first quarter and only 65 points in the next three quarters. They shot bad but the Spurs contested a lot of their shots. That was a good defensive performance against a team that scored 132 points two nights before.

Also, they got 64 points from the Real Big 3 and 44 points from the rest of the team and they outrebounded the Nuggets. It was the most impressive performance of the season so far. (I believe the win over the Houston Rockets was the best win of the year so far!) Remember they've only played 18 games!!!

Lastly, if they continue play good-to-excellent defense (holding teams under 45% shooting and less than 95 points) and the Real Big 3 scores with some help from the bench (Mason, Hill, Finley, and even Bonner!!!) they can and will beat the Celtics and Lakers.

:flag:

Dex
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah, but Tim Duncan dunked it all over KMart.

That was fun.

mexicanjunior
12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
From the games I have seen so far, this was by far the best they have looked...

DrHouse
12-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I saw that game and that was some classic Spur's basketball.

Suffocating defense. Precision methodical offense. Denver didn't have a chance. If this is the Spurs team that shows up the rest of the season it looks like the Lakers and Spurs will be having another date in the playoffs.

wijayas
12-05-2008, 11:33 AM

DaBears, you are officially no longer allowed to post and comment on any Spurs WIN. You are the equivalent of the Shorts in the stock market. :lol

z0sa
12-05-2008, 11:38 AM
thanks Buzzkill Buzz Killington

T Park
12-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I thought the offense looked damn good.

The defense was "OK"

But this wasn't an ugly win at all.

An Ugly win is the win over the Rockets 77-75. Thats ugly :lol

fundamental9903
12-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Great defense last night and the offense was actually putting the ball in the basket.

And I'll take a win like that on the road any day of the week.

InK
12-05-2008, 11:49 AM
As pretty as its gonna get.

my2sons
12-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Why did you put spurs down as your team and then quote yeah ur denfense...Here trolly trolly trolly...

DaBears
12-05-2008, 12:11 PM
OK Ok Spurs are my team, they will turn it around and play like i know they can.

Is it too much to ask for them to show up and play like that every night!!!

wildbill2u
12-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Ugly Wins are like an ugly woman who can still make you smile. Pretty Losses are like a beautiful woman who looks good but you know that somewhere in the world, there is a guy who is tired of her shit.

DaBears
12-05-2008, 12:20 PM
TIMVP is am watching last game vs Houston and there was only 1 dunk and the 2nd dunk did not count came after a foul! check ur infomation before commenting

DaBears
12-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Love to all my true spurs fans who have stuck through the good times and the bad!!

m33p0
12-05-2008, 12:39 PM
amare, is that you?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't get to watch too many Spurs games but caught this one and it was great. Arguing with people about Amare being a cancer after his amazing 5 rebound effort against Dallas (sarcasm btw), I told them all watch the Spurs game, Duncan might not score 28, but he'll show you what "the man" on a winning team does. My man Timmy came through and did just that:

21 points, 12 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 blocks, 1 steal and only 2 turnovers.

I also liked seeing Popovich tear into George Hill after that shot clock violation and seeing Melo get mad, when Melo and JR Smith are frustrated and go into chuck mode it's always funny. Idk why someone is calling this win ugly, the Nugs have been on fire since the Billups trade and got blown out at home. Championships aren't won with fastbreak points, the 2005-2008 Suns have made that painfully clear to me.

Lakers_55
12-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I watched the game and thought the win was just fine as it was. A W is a W. take it.

HarlemHeat37
12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
the fact that we can score so many points on efficient shooting, without fast break points is impressive as hell..

our fast break has always gone the way Tony and Manu go, and it will remain like that..as they get healthier and as the team regains chemistry, you'll see everything fall together..

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-05-2008, 01:05 PM
There is no such thing as an ugly win. Winning is a beautiful thing.

BlackBellamy
12-05-2008, 03:11 PM
What game were you watching???? They outrebounded the Nuggets. They held the Nuggets under 45% shooting. They controlled the game from the second quarter. Denver never challenged from that point on.

The big three scored over 60+ points. It was the most impressive win of the season so far.

And you're lamenting the fact they didn't get fastbreak points.

Yikes!!!!!

Agreed 100 %

hater
12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I was actually thinking last night, they uglier the game gets, the more chance Spurs of winning.

Here's to many, many ugly games this season

Manufan909
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Again, I guess we were watching two different games. I will agree somewhat that getting some fastbreak points will help...but I believe that's an overrated part of the game.

The held the Nuggets to 91 points and under 45% shooting. The Nuggets scored 26 points in the first quarter and only 65 points in the next three quarters. They shot bad but the Spurs contested a lot of their shots. That was a good defensive performance against a team that scored 132 points two nights before.

Also, they got 64 points from the Real Big 3 and 44 points from the rest of the team and they outrebounded the Nuggets. It was the most impressive performance of the season so far. (I believe the win over the Houston Rockets was the best win of the year so far!) Remember they've only played 18 games!!!

Lastly, if they continue play good-to-excellent defense (holding teams under 45% shooting and less than 95 points) and the Real Big 3 scores with some help from the bench (Mason, Hill, Finley, and even Bonner!!!) they can and will beat the Celtics and Lakers.

:flag:

Nice post, but I'd go with the Jazz game as the best so far.:toast

I loved Fab getting under peoples skin, and getting some nice boards.

SpursDynasty
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
This was really the Spurs' first BIG game. And they won. Denver is elite. We've played nothing but junk teams up until them.

Manufan909
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
This was really the Spurs' first BIG game. And they won. Denver is elite. We've played nothing but junk teams up until them.

Don't forget Suns and Pistons... but they did lose those.:depressed

BlackBellamy
12-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Don't forget Suns and Pistons... but they did lose those.:depressed

Hey chin up, we beat up a short handed Jazz and had win against the Rockets. We'll get through this together. Hugs?

Yorae
12-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I guess there's no justice in saying a win is ugly because of 0 fastbreak points. That is not the Spurs strength, half-court execution is their thing. I guess we should expect this from the Spurs, and if you're expecting fastbreak points I believe you should move over to another team. Or you could always play 2k9 using Spurs and have all your scores on fastbreak points!:toast

MarHill
12-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Agreed 100 %

Thanks!

Sometimes....or a lot of times you have keep spoiled Spurs fan in check!!!

:lol

MarHill
12-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Nice post, but I'd go with the Jazz game as the best so far.:toast

I loved Fab getting under peoples skin, and getting some nice boards.

Thanks!

Much appreciated!!

:toast

wisnub
12-05-2008, 10:31 PM
This is bullshit...Spurs outrebound NUggets greatly both offensive and defensively, both starters and bench did a great offensive and defensive work. contain scoring, shoot from all cylinders...and Manu did do a little fast break on the tip off but choose to shoot it instead, Tony got couples of his usual tear drop and some of his fastbreak which supposed to be fouls didnt called by the refs,its alright Spurs blow them out anyway...You are really critized without thinking what a stupid moron. why dont you look at stats...fastbreak can be a good thing but sometimes it can be bad if you are the only one who is running and other team can contain you, and no garbage man to seal the deal. That will create turnover then and if that happens I bet you will critize Spurs as not protecting ball and too many turnovers. What an idiot. I've seen lots and lots Spurs game and this is can be considered one of their best performance, since everybod's takin shot with complete confidence, take care board offensively and defensively, move to ball fluently and protect it, delivered to open looks and Duncan even dunk when he schooled Kmart. Spurs definitely cant do better than this.

manufor3
12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
fast break and +/- are two of the most overrated stats in evaluating a performance