PDA

View Full Version : Leach Thread, part deux: Auburn

j-6
12-05-2008, 09:34 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/6148302.html

AUSTIN — Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is in talks with Auburn about its head- coaching vacancy, a person close to Leach said Thursday.

Leach is considered one of the top candidates to replace Tommy Tuberville, who resigned on Wednesday.

Leach did not return phone calls or a text message left by the Chronicle.

Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers also did not return phone calls.

Texas Tech officials are said to be working on a renegotiated contract for Leach that will include a raise to nearly $3 million per season.

Leach pulled his name out of the running for the Washington job early Thursday because of heavy interest from Auburn.

Leach has two years remaining on his five-year contract that runs through 2010. He will earn $2.65 million in 2009, which includes an $800,000 contract-completion bonus.

Leach led the Red Raiders to an 11-1 record and share of the Big 12 South title with Oklahoma and Texas this season. Tech upset top-ranked Texas to vault to No. 2 in the national rankings, the highest ever for the program. The 11-1 record for the Red Raiders is their best since 1973.

Texas Tech is expected to receive an invitation to the Cotton Bowl on Sunday.

Leach is 76-38 in nine seasons at Tech.

Blake
12-05-2008, 09:50 AM
I still don't think Leach leaves, but if he does, I can't really blame him.

and if he does leave, I hope Tech can somehow find a way to get Art Briles out of Waco.

MajorMike
12-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Sonny!

romad_20
12-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Come on down Mike! We'd love to have you in the SEC if you bring that defensive philosophy with you.

I hope he goes to UW, I think that offense would be much better in the Pac-10 and he could restore some pride to UW.