Bonus Footage:
Pacquaio's last fight @ 135 against the Lightweight champion David Diaz
9 minute round by round highlight reel:
N-928kUW0fE

Diaz post fight interview (HILARIOUS!) How many times did he say "FUCKER"? lol
Cs5bUcrZhBk

2centsworth
12-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Oscar by TKO in the 10th. Should be a hell of a fight up to that point.

mexicanjunior
12-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I saw the Diaz interview the night it happened, me and my buddies were rolling...:rollin

Anti.Hero
12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
This is the first boxing match I will have watched in the last 5 years.

I must see what all the hype is about. Do not disappoint me Boxing.

dbreiden83080
12-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Oscar by TKO in the 10th. Should be a hell of a fight up to that point.

Hey someone who picked Oscar other than me, how about that.

Agreed or Oscar by decision..

TheMACHINE
12-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey someone who picked Oscar other than me, how about that.

Agreed or Oscar by decision..

i think oscar is gonna win.

but im rooting for Pacquiao!!!

GO PACMAN!

TheMACHINE
12-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I saw the Diaz interview the night it happened, me and my buddies were rolling...:rollin

"i thought Freddie was in there hitting me too"

LOL

IronMexican
12-05-2008, 02:53 PM
i think oscar is gonna win.

but im rooting for Pacquiao!!!

GO PACMAN!

You Philippine?

dbreiden83080
12-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Watching the countdown show, Manny is waaaaay too generous and just has way too big an Entourage. He literally has like 40 people, that travel with him and he is paying for all their bills, food and entertainment. He held a weight challenge in which they had 10 days to lose 10 pds and anyone who did it, got 2 grand.. They also say he's super-generous at home with Charity, and spending money. I mean it's awesome that he is such a great person but i hope he doesn't end up like some boxers, retired and bankrupt..

MoSpur
12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I also pick Oscar to win by TKO in the later rounds.

I saw that 24/7 thing and also saw that thing about Pacman being almost too generous. I hope people don't take advantage of that. He is a very cool guy. I have met him twice and both times he was very cool. I had my gloves signed by him and he took a picture with me.

He has beaten all of my Mexican fighters, but its very hard not to like him.

dbreiden83080
12-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I hope people don't take advantage of that.

From the looks of the Countdown show they already are. He's paying thousands of dollars just to keep all those people in his entourage fed..

mexicanjunior
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Manny by decision...his speed will be too much for Oscar and he has a bad habit of forgetting to use his jab (especially against Mayweather). I don't think Oscar will ever get hurt but won't land enough solid punches to make up for his lack of activity...

I. Hustle
12-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer last week announced that several presenting sponsors of the December 6 Oscar De La Hoya-Manny Pacquiao fight will provide PPV rebates "to customers who purchase their products," according to Steve Carp of the LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL. The fight, which is sold out, is being televised on HBO PPV for $54.95. Coca-Cola and Tecate beer will "offer mail-in rebate coupons worth $20 each toward the cost" of the PPV telecast, and Cazadores tequila will offer a $10 rebate. Schaefer: "With the help of these rebates, which we think is unprecedented in pay per view, more fans will be able to afford to see this great event." Carp noted rebate coupons "can be found on six-packs of Coke's Full Throttle energy drink and 18-packs of Tecate beer." Multiple coupons "can be combined." Schaefer said of the fight, "Even with the (troubled) economy, we're getting a great response" (LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL, 11/2). Meanwhile, DeWalt has inked a deal to become the official tool manufacturer of the fight. DeWalt has launched the “Knock Out” sweepstakes at select Home Depot stores to leverage the sponsorship. The grand prize package includes two tickets to the bout, airfare and hotel accommodations (DeWalt).

TheMACHINE
12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Watching the countdown show, Manny is waaaaay too generous and just has way too big an Entourage. He literally has like 40 people, that travel with him and he is paying for all their bills, food and entertainment. He held a weight challenge in which they had 10 days to lose 10 pds and anyone who did it, got 2 grand.. They also say he's super-generous at home with Charity, and spending money. I mean it's awesome that he is such a great person but i hope he doesn't end up like some boxers, retired and bankrupt..

yah he gives away to much..but he is a king in the PI...singer, actor...he'll be alright for a long time financially in the PI.

milkyway21
12-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Pacquiao update:
other than NO Hornets Forward David West, other celebrities visited Pacman and gave support for this big event:

The last one was former Heavyweight Mike Tyson.
http://images.inquirer.net/media/networkindex/images/pic-12051148340483.jpg

The Former HW champ Tyson drops by the gym in Las Vegas Thursday where Pacquiao is having his last training session and gives him tips on how to floor Dela Hoya.

No, it has nothing to do with Oscar Dela Hoya's ears people :lmao

“It was nice for Mike Tyson to come,” said trainer Freddie Roach, who once handled the boxer formerly known as “the baddest man on the planet.”

“Mike gave me a little advice,” Roach added. “He said be careful with moving back in straight lines because Oscar has a long reach. Sensible stuff. He wants Manny to make sure he doesn’t come in with the head first, but instead come in behind his punches.”

Free tickets for Tyson

The 42-year-old disgraced heavyweight champion stayed for nearly the entire time Pacquiao worked out, following the Filipino’s every move as he skipped rope, worked the mitts, hit the double end or pounded the speed ball.

He left just as Pacquiao was about to wrap up his final workout. Roach said Tyson still had no tickets to the fight but Pacquiao took care of that, providing four tickets to the man who was once the youngest heavyweight champion of the world.

Pacquiao, the reigning World Boxing Council lightweight champion, is expected to do walks and stretches on Friday and on the morning of the fight. The official weigh-in is on Friday at the MGM Grand.

Pacquiao, according to Roach, now weighs 146 pounds. He will have breakfast and a short walk in the hallway outside his suite at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay before proceeding to the weigh-in.

“We’ll have it in at 146 or 147,” Roach said. “We’ll have breakfast and then we’ll check his weight. That’s about it.”

http://www.inquirer.net/specialreports/ThePacquiaoFiles/view.php?db=1&article=20081205-176353

he's the underdog, still,

Good Luck, Manny !!!! :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit

Sp Ginobili 20
12-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Go Pacquiao! Filipino pride!

TheMACHINE
12-06-2008, 01:21 AM
the weigh in was interesting..Hopkins, Mosely all up on the stage. Also..Pacman came in at 142. DelaHoya at 145...both wee under the 147 contract weight. Pacman probably come in at fight night at 145 while DLH prob at 150.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1205/box_g_delahoyatop_412.jpg

dbreiden83080
12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
the weigh in was interesting..Hopkins, Mosely all up on the stage. Also..Pacman came in at 142. DelaHoya at 145...both wee under the 147 contract weight. Pacman probably come in at fight night at 145 while DLH prob at 150.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1205/box_g_delahoyatop_412.jpg

Shane and Oscar do business together with Golden Boy but even though they fought twice i know from interviews they are in fact very good friends. Going all the way back to sparring as amateurs together in California.. Shane was a sparring partner for OScar when he fought Mayweather..

TheMACHINE
12-06-2008, 02:19 PM
so my coworker who is 45, from mexico and my other coworker who is 30, mexican also but born here in SoCal were arguing all day yesterday. Apparantly, the 45 year old is rooting for Pacman while the 30 yr old is rooting for DLH. He is calling the 45 yr old an Oscar hater....the older coworker told me that the guys over at Mexico are saying that Pacman is "more mexican then Oscar will ever be". lol. Whats going on with that?! lol

dbreiden83080
12-06-2008, 02:50 PM
the older coworker told me that the guys over at Mexico are saying that Pacman is "more mexican then Oscar will ever be". lol. Whats going on with that?! lol

That's about ignorance, is what that's about. Some people think you are not a Mexican warrior unless you put your head down, and do nothing but brawl. Oscar has fought the best of the best in his era. Anyone who does not respect him, simply is not a real fan of boxing. He's ducked nobody and fought his ass off, his whole career..

BWS-1994
12-06-2008, 03:02 PM
6 more hours (Philippine standard time) before "The Dream Match" begins!

I have no problem whoever wins. As long as this fight lives up to the hype. :toast

dbreiden83080
12-06-2008, 03:09 PM
6 more hours (Philippine standard time) before "The Dream Match" begins!

I have no problem whoever wins. As long as this fight lives up to the hype. :toast

I think Either Oscar is going to dominate or it's going to be war. From the count-down show both guys want this bad. Oscar wants a huge win in a big fight at the end of his career, Manny wants to keep elevating his stock..

BWS-1994
12-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I think Either Oscar is going to dominate or it's going to be war. From the count-down show both guys want this bad. Oscar wants a huge win in a big fight at the end of his career, Manny wants to keep elevating his stock..

Saw the 24/7 documentary-fight preview too. Very thankful for the behind the scenes stuff. :toast

I was impressed with DLH. His supporting cast was awesome. He looks good and ready based on his sparring sessions.

Manny as usual works hard. With regards to his entourage, many have criticized it since way back. Esp politicians, government officials and "hanger-ons" who are often seen watching his fights live in the US (theory has it that they use government funds for it), for photo-ops and for their own popularity.

As for "elevating his stock", Manny did say that he only wishes to fight for 2 more years. Probably because he wants to focus on his business (Manny Promotions, cockfighting, movie productions) and politics.

MrChug
12-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Oscar...it's hard to pick a man who had to move up 2 weight division.

I say a mid-late round knockout for Oscar DeLaHoya. If Oscar can keep the Taz at the endo of his jab and HUGE combinations when the opportunity presents itself can take away a huge heart even like Manny's. I'd like to see that happen but who knows. We're talking about a fighter who claimed retirement a few years back against the best pound for pound in the world. That's hard to bet against.

Many PackYao
12-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I like both of these guys.I just wanna see a good fight.:toast

TheMACHINE
12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
rumor has it, that oscars at 156 and pacman is at 151.

dbreiden83080
12-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm saying it just before this gets under-way i am wavering big time on my pick of Oscar after hearing of his weight and how low it is, now that he's re-hydrated. Just 147 for Oscar and Manny is 148.5 :wow

I thought Oscar would be around 155-157, come fight night, this is a shock to me. He will have a harder time being the bully now, that he weighs less than Manny. I hope he did not have to drain himself so much, he will be weak in there tonight. I am still going with Oscar but man, hearing that weight i am less confident than i was a few days ago.. We'll see..

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-06-2008, 10:50 PM
any chance someone has a link for the fight tonight?

sebasxox
12-06-2008, 11:06 PM
http://onepunch.tk

Dr. Gonzo
12-06-2008, 11:12 PM
any chance someone has a link for the fight tonight?

Check your pms.

DannyT
12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
links?

other then justin.tv

Dr. Gonzo
12-06-2008, 11:41 PM
DLH getting his ass kicked. No way he wins if he doesn't knock out the filipino.

Dr. Gonzo
12-06-2008, 11:45 PM
De La Hoja is done. This fight is getting stopped soon.

Dr. Gonzo
12-06-2008, 11:46 PM
haha the fight gets stopped. DLH quits.

Kriz-Maxima
12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
De la Hoya...OWNED!

dbreiden83080
12-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Well i'll eat all the shit in the world for my pick in this fight, Oscar has never looked that bad in a fight EVER!!!

The hand speed was a bigger factor than i thought, Oscar took the punches well, but he took way too many of them. The weight loss hurt him bad also, he was weak and amazingly slow in there tonight. All credit to Manny, i sure got this one wrong..

Slinkyman
12-06-2008, 11:49 PM
so this was the dream match up? seriously? :lol

DannyT
12-06-2008, 11:50 PM
manny the mexican killer strikes again bitches

he is official

KFRebel
12-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Pac ownz! Fuck yeah!

dbreiden83080
12-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Great class shown by Oscar in the post-fight, giving Manny all his due there, nice to see, really..

Many PackYao
12-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Not a good fight by DLH.Next!

TheMACHINE
12-07-2008, 12:09 AM
WOW...dbrieden practically convinced me that DLH was gonna win. lol

TheMACHINE
12-07-2008, 12:10 AM
shit man..did DLH even hit Manny? lol

MrChug
12-07-2008, 12:16 AM
FOR A MAN WHO COULD HAVE GONE DOWN IN HISTORY AS ONE OF THE GREATS...

...NOT a great way to end his last fight. Quitters never win. :(

pawe
12-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Wow, what about that fight huh? I never thought the fight would be that lopsided. Pacman's speed was way too much for Dela Hoya but in his defense, he's past his prime at 35 though.
Manny the Mexicutioner indeed!
Gl to DLH.

pawe
12-07-2008, 12:25 AM

...NOT a great way to end his last fight. Quitters never win. :(

He was beaing beaten to a pulp by Pacman. That cant be a knock him on that note.

MrChug
12-07-2008, 12:36 AM
He was beaing beaten to a pulp by Pacman. That cant be a knock him on that note.

Indeed, but for a "warrior" (and believe me, I bet $300 on DLH so I'm a big fan) reputation, you never, Never, NEVER quit like that. You end the night in the hospital if you expect to be considered one of the greats. He will be, but this will be a scar on his otherwise above average legend. He WILL make the HOF, but many will remember him for how he went out rather than much else. Truth.

Slydragon
12-07-2008, 12:37 AM
I paid to watch a boxing match not a damn sparring match.

Man In Black
12-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Golden no longer.
Henceforth Oscar is now..."Olden Boy"

PAC FOR PRESIDENT :bking

pawe
12-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I agree, at least send him to the ring, make him fight and let the referee end the fight halfway in the round...go out fighting

Slydragon
12-07-2008, 12:58 AM
I mean they ask him if he wanted to quit a few times he said yes and was the first motherfucker getting up and going to the other corner to congratulate Pacman, WTF he seemed to have a burst of energy to get his ass up and end it but not go another round like a true boxer would.

Also when they showed his wife she look uninterested in the fact that her husband was getting his ass kick, she was probably planning on how she was going to spend his fat pay check.

dbreiden83080
12-07-2008, 01:00 AM
WOW...dbrieden practically convinced me that DLH was gonna win. lol

LOL, i had myself convinced too, but when i heard how light Oscar was coming in at on fight night that told me he likely had to drain himself to get there and at 35, that wasn't good. That's why i said earlier just before the fight i was less confidant in Oscar when i heard his weight. He wasn't just slow, he was DAMN SLOW, and the weight loss combined with Manny's speed was too much..

dbreiden83080
12-07-2008, 01:02 AM

...NOT a great way to end his last fight. Quitters never win. :
(

He didn't quit, his trainer and the ref were not going to let him go back out there, he was too beat up by that point. He didn't come back to the corner and say "Im Done", he was told he was done..

pawe
12-07-2008, 01:14 AM
makes me wonder if he just fought for the money. DLH looks very disinterested in the fight, its like he's not even engaging Pacman at all. Or probably, DLH is a producer and he's been luring Pacman to sign with golden boy promotions so if he takes a fall then ah fuck it...i cant think properly when im drunk

dbreiden83080
12-07-2008, 01:20 AM
I mean they ask him if he wanted to quit a few times he said yes and was the first motherfucker getting up and going to the other corner to congratulate Pacman.

NO, they asked him more than once if he wanted to quit and he said NO, he shook his head NO! But his trainer and the ref were not going to let him go back out there. Oscar has a lot of heart, if you don't believe that, watch his fights with Quartey, Mosley, Vargas, he has been in wars and not backed down. The ref was stopping that fight, Oscar didn't come back to the corner saying i'm done..

mexicanjunior
12-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Manny by decision...his speed will be too much for Oscar and he has a bad habit of forgetting to use his jab (especially against Mayweather). I don't think Oscar will ever get hurt but won't land enough solid punches to make up for his lack of activity...

We'll...I got the winner and speed part right. I didn't think DLH would look so slow and old though, he was a punching bag out there.

Obstructed_View
12-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Awesome. Appropriate that Oscar has a "No Mas" fight. :lol

TheMACHINE
12-07-2008, 04:17 AM
Oscar would have got knocked out if he went out there in the 9th.

dbreiden83080
12-07-2008, 11:34 AM
We'll...I got the winner and speed part right. I didn't think DLH would look so slow and old though, he was a punching bag out there.

Nobody did but i bet a lot of people thought like me when they heard he had only bulked back up to 147 on fight night, that he likely drained himself to make the weight. Oscar looked exhausted out there, the whole fight. This has to hurt, he has been in some mega fights won and lost but he's never been beaten up before, until last night..

BWS-1994
12-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I was hoping to see the same DLH that took Mayweather to round 12 :depressed

:toast to Manny though. His speed and combo's + lateral movement were the key.

:tu also for being patient in rounds 7 and 8.

tlongII
12-07-2008, 12:56 PM
I want to see Manny fight Ricky Hatton now!

Man In Black
12-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Manny would kill Ricky Hatton. Fast brawler vs brawler...Fast brawler wins.

BWS-1994
12-07-2008, 01:58 PM
I want to see Manny fight Ricky Hatton now!

Heard from a Filipino fight commentator that "Hitman" told "Pacman" during the weight in (?) before The Dream Match - "I'll see you in England."

Any chance for a Pacquiao vs Mayweather? I mean, the former has already said that he'll have 2-3 more fights left before retiring so might as well...

dbreiden83080
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Heard from a Filipino fight commentator that "Hitman" told "Pacman" during the weight in (?) before The Dream Match - "I'll see you in England."

Any chance for a Pacquiao vs Mayweather? I mean, the former has already said that he'll have 2-3 more fights left before retiring so might as well...

Mayweather might be done for good, he is only 31 but i know he had hand injuries and elbow injuries that have been bothering him the last few years. He made a ton of money in his last few fights and retired unbeaten, but we'll see. It may annoy him everyone calling Manny Pd 4 Pd best and come out to shut everyone up..

dbreiden83080
12-07-2008, 02:52 PM

Oscar needed to be around 154 or so, making 147 just didn't work for him after all these years. You get naturally bigger as you get older and at 35, it just looked too much on his body to come back down.. Sad thing is, he lost this fight so badly, some will feel Manny was the best guy he fought but Mosley was the best and they had 2 great wars, especially the first fight..

TheMACHINE
12-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Well said. This shows the maturaty of Pacman. 4 years ago, pac would have tried to finish off DLH risking geting hit by a left hook. The new Pacman was still careful to the very end.

dbreiden83080
12-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Awesome. Appropriate that Oscar has a "No Mas" fight. :lol

If by "No Mas" you mean the ref, the doctor and your trainer telling you, it's being stopped..

Obstructed_View
12-07-2008, 09:39 PM
If by "No Mas" you mean the ref, the doctor and your trainer telling you, it's being stopped..

Yeah, that's the reason. :lol

Slydragon
12-08-2008, 01:03 AM
He's a quitter, he should have never been in that position, Dr stop for a cut ok but for just not doing shit.

this guy is not a quitter

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/elevy_bucket/062_pics.jpg

Oscar got the shit knock out of him like this guy

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/elevy_bucket/bungyjumppoo1228342565.jpg

degenerate_gambler
12-08-2008, 10:10 AM
can anyone name another boxer that has continually fucked up big fight after big fight as much as DLH has?

go away..

dbreiden83080
12-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah, that's the reason. :lol

Gatti and Floyd was the same exact thing. The Doctor asked Oscar in-between RDS, if he had a headache, wondering if he was concussed. They were not letting him come back out. Frazier was not allowed to come out of the corner in the Thrilla, in Manila, is he a pussy too?? Hate on Oscar for some other reason, you got this one wrong..

dbreiden83080
12-08-2008, 11:47 AM
can anyone name another boxer that has continually fucked up big fight after big fight as much as DLH has?

He's won his fair share of big fights, Whitaker, Quartey, Vargas, lost his fair share, Mosley 1, Mayweather, Hopkins, and got robbed in some, Trinidad, Mosley 2..

hater
12-08-2008, 12:05 PM
LOL at Vargas ^

everyone and their mother beat Vargas.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2008, 12:19 PM

sorry bro..i know u love DLH and all...but he barely threw 10 punches in the 7th and 8th combined. DLH knew they were gonna stop it and helped them make the decision.

dbreiden83080
12-08-2008, 12:27 PM
LOL at Vargas ^

everyone and their mother beat Vargas.

Not back when Oscar fought him they didn't.. By his own admission the beating he got that night, made him never the same.

dbreiden83080
12-08-2008, 12:31 PM
sorry bro..i know u love DLH and all...but he barely threw 10 punches in the 7th and 8th combined. DLH knew they were gonna stop it and helped them make the decision.

I'm not saying, he didn't get his ass kicked but when a doctor is asking you questions to see if you have a concussion, you are not being allowed to come back out to fight. He shook his head NO than finally yes, in agreement only after, the ref, his trainer and doctor all said, "It's enough" all i'm saying..

Same thing happened when Gatti fought Mayweather and he was a flat out warrior..

Ginobilly
12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Nobody did but i bet a lot of people thought like me when they heard he had only bulked back up to 147 on fight night, that he likely drained himself to make the weight. Oscar looked exhausted out there, the whole fight. This has to hurt, he has been in some mega fights won and lost but he's never been beaten up before, until last night..

Yup, I think Oscar trying to make weight at 35 really fucked him up. He had no legs and speed since the begining of the fight, because he looked like an anorexic school girl. Pacman had all the energy and you could tell he had been eating good and getting his rest. Oscar has probably been starving himself for weeks now leading up to the fight.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm not saying, he didn't get his ass kicked but when a doctor is asking you questions to see if you have a concussion, you are not being allowed to come back out to fight. He shook his head NO than finally yes, in agreement only after, the ref, his trainer and doctor all said, "It's enough" all i'm saying..

Same thing happened when Gatti fought Mayweather and he was a flat out warrior..

It's one thing if DLH was actually throwing punches and going out on his shield in the 7th and 8th rounds, then refs and corner stopped the fight for him...That didn't happen, he quit inside the ring and basically covered up like a little girl in the corner the last 2 rounds. That is quitting to me, regardless of what the doctor and trainer said inbetween rounds...

dbreiden83080
12-08-2008, 01:40 PM
It's one thing if DLH was actually throwing punches and going out on his shield in the 7th and 8th rounds, then refs and corner stopped the fight for him...That didn't happen, he quit inside the ring and basically covered up like a little girl in the corner the last 2 rounds. That is quitting to me, regardless of what the doctor and trainer said inbetween rounds...

He just had nothing at all in the tank after like RD 3. When he was in the corner getting beat up in spurts, i think he literally had nothing left to throw on offense. They just weren't going to let him go back out and take more damage, like i said it happened to Gatti when he fought Floyd.. Oscar put up a brave front with his words about the weight but there is no way he felt great coming into that fight. You don't have a great camp and then come out, lifeless and getting abused like a punching bag. Oscar had 2 wars with Mosley and competitive fights with Floyd Mayweather and Bernard Hopkins for god's sake. Manny's great but Oscar never looked so bad in his whole career..

SAtoDallas
12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Props to Manny, he got a huge payday which he deserves, now hopefully he will fight an elite fighter in their prime it's been a while since that's happened.

As for Oscar hopefully he retires and stays retired and stops taking up valuable and limited TV dates.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Props to Manny, he got a huge payday which he deserves, now hopefully he will fight an elite fighter in their prime it's been a while since that's happened.

Juan Manual Marquez may not be at the height of his prime but he was still an elite fighter when Manny beat him this year...

phyzik
12-08-2008, 03:59 PM
This is one of the main negatives of boxing in my mind. I hate the fact that some "elite" boxer can go in their and go through the motions and walk out with a fatter paycheck than the winner. Fuck that.

They need to make it a lopsided purse. If you lose, your hospital bills get paid plus maybe $50,000.00, if you win you take home the big bucks. I guarantee you if it was that way Oscar (who I hate) would not have quit so easily.

mexicanjunior
12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
He just had nothing at all in the tank after like RD 3. When he was in the corner getting beat up in spurts, i think he literally had nothing left to throw on offense. They just weren't going to let him go back out and take more damage, like i said it happened to Gatti when he fought Floyd.. Oscar put up a brave front with his words about the weight but there is no way he felt great coming into that fight. You don't have a great camp and then come out, lifeless and getting abused like a punching bag. Oscar had 2 wars with Mosley and competitive fights with Floyd Mayweather and Bernard Hopkins for god's sake. Manny's great but Oscar never looked so bad in his whole career..

I disagree...I think he could have thrown some punches and at least given the impression he was trying. I honestly think he was covering up and not fighting back in hopes of the referree stopping the fight so he could say he didn't quit and the fight was stopped injustly. Had he truly wanted to go out on his shield and prove he was trying, he would have thrown some punches and showed at least a little agression.

SAtoDallas
12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Juan Manual Marquez may not be at the height of his prime but he was still an elite fighter when Manny beat him this year...

I don't count the Marquez victories as wins. I know on paper he won but in my opinion I saw them more as draws no clear cut winner.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't count the Marquez victories as wins. I know on paper he won but in my opinion I saw them more as draws no clear cut winner.

tell JMM to get his ass off the canvas and maybe he'll win.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Anyways..i dont think DLH is an all-time great. Good boxer, good champion, but i just dont see any quality wins but maybe Vargas and Quartey. He just didnt dominate the other big fights.

dbreiden83080
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I disagree...I think he could have thrown some punches and at least given the impression he was trying. I honestly think he was covering up and not fighting back in hopes of the referree stopping the fight so he could say he didn't quit and the fight was stopped injustly.

I see everyone is destroying Oscar and i am all alone here and no offense dude, but this is a very unfair and biased statement you just made. Oscar has been in wars and not backed down at all. Vargas had him in trouble and he came back to KO him. Mosley the first fight was back and forth non-stop, he never backed down. Quartey, Oscar needed a huge 12th rd to pull it out, got a knockdown and won the decision. He even hung in with Floyd in the late RDS when he was getting pot shotted like crazy and the fight had gotten away from him. I'm sorry but to say, he wanted to quit is not a fair assesment of the man's career and his heart as a champion. The biggest mistake he ever made (by his own admission) was cruising the last 3 rds against Tito, thanks mainly to his corner wrongly convincing him he had a huge lead on the scorecards and he never lost a fight again because of that mistake. The weight loss was a huge factor, when he only bulked back up to 147, everyone knew it. He had no energy most of the fight, he tried but as Freddie Roach said Oscar can't "Pull the trigger anymore" You have to look at this man's career as a whole, not just one fight.. Nobody ever saw that Oscar the other night and it wasn't just Manny that did it to him..

dbreiden83080
12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Anyways..i dont think DLH is an all-time great. Good boxer, good champion, but i just dont see any quality wins but maybe Vargas and Quartey. He just didnt dominate the other big fights.

Well almost nobody dominates big fights, look at Sugar Ray, he beat Hearns thanks in part to a bad ref stoppage, he was trailing on all 3 scorecards at the time. Won an insanely controversial fight with Hagler. Got a draw in another controversial fight with Hearns in the rematch (Ray admits he lost that fight).. Oscar for his part got screwed in 2 of his big fights, Mosley 2 and Trinidad..

mexicanjunior
12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I see everyone is destroying Oscar and i am all alone here and no offense dude, but this is a very unfair and biased statement you just made. Oscar has been in wars and not backed down at all. Vargas had him in trouble and he came back to KO him. Mosley the first fight was back and forth non-stop, he never backed down. Quartey, Oscar needed a huge 12th rd to pull it out, got a knockdown and won the decision. He even hung in with Floyd in the late RDS when he was getting pot shotted like crazy and the fight had gotten away from him. I'm sorry but to say, he wanted to quit is not a fair assesment of the man's career and his heart as a champion. The biggest mistake he ever made (by his own admission) was cruising the last 3 rds against Tito, thanks mainly to his corner wrongly convincing him he had a huge lead on the scorecards and he never lost a fight again because of that mistake. The weight loss was a huge factor, when he only bulked back up to 147, everyone knew it. He had no energy most of the fight, he tried but as Freddie Roach said Oscar can't "Pull the trigger anymore" You have to look at this man's career as a whole, not just one fight.. Nobody ever saw that Oscar the other night and it wasn't just Manny that did it to him..

I've seen every major fight of DLH's career...I even saw him in person when he beat Charpentier in El Paso. I was a huge Oscar fan during his heyday and even was able to look past that debacle against Trinidad to support him...All that said, I still think he quit...we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Well almost nobody dominates big fights, look at Sugar Ray, he beat Hearns thanks in part to a bad ref stoppage, he was trailing on all 3 scorecards at the time. Won an insanely controversial fight with Hagler. Got a draw in another controversial fight with Hearns in the rematch (Ray admits he lost that fight).. Oscar for his part got screwed in 2 of his big fights, Mosley 2 and Trinidad..

ok..ill make it simple..if not "dominate"..atleast win.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Post fight conference: Hopkins vs Pacman at 170! lol
E_m5Al2Jmlo

dbreiden83080
12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
ok..ill make it simple..if not "dominate"..atleast win.

So what do you say for losses in extremely controversial fashion?? Because there are about a thousand of them in boxing history.. Oscar got the raw end of a few of them, Ray got the better end of a few, see my point??

TheMACHINE
12-09-2008, 04:23 AM
So what do you say for losses in extremely controversial fashion?? Because there are about a thousand of them in boxing history.. Oscar got the raw end of a few of them, Ray got the better end of a few, see my point??

ok...quick question. Is Oscar an all time great?

mexicanjunior
12-09-2008, 11:22 AM

He is a HOF'er but I don't put him in the same category as Ali, JCC, Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Leonard...

SAtoDallas
12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
tell JMM to get his ass off the canvas and maybe he'll win.

You talking about the 1st fight where he got knocked down 3 times in the first round and then dominated for 11 rounds.

dbreiden83080
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM

In my opinion he is yes, but i guess it depends on your defintion of all time great. He is for sure one of the best fighters in his era. He is an Olympic Gold Medalist, who defeated seventeen world champions and won ten world titles in six different weight classes. I've already gone over my take on some of his mega fights that didn't go his way. For me there is so much controversy throughout boxing history, some of these legacies i find hard to gauge.. For example nobody is ever going to convince me Sugar Ray beat Hagler, that's not the fight i saw..

dbreiden83080
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
He is a HOF'er but I don't put him in the same category as Ali, JCC, Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Leonard...

Oscar demolished JCC twice and no i don't believe any version of JCC, beats Oscar, he was no match for Oscar's skill..

mexicanjunior
12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Oscar demolished JCC twice and no i don't believe any version of JCC, beats Oscar, he was no match for Oscar's skill..

JCC in his mid to late 20's I think beats Oscar in his prime although I think it would have been a great fight...

TheMACHINE
12-10-2008, 02:32 AM
You talking about the 1st fight where he got knocked down 3 times in the first round and then dominated for 11 rounds.

once again..tell him to get his ass off the canvas and maybe he'll win the close fights.

SAtoDallas
12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
once again..tell him to get his ass off the canvas and maybe he'll win the close fights.

No sense in arguing you're obviously one of those PacManiacs who thinks he would KO Lennox Lewis in his prime.

Laters

TheMACHINE
12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
No sense in arguing you're obviously one of those PacManiacs who thinks he would KO Lennox Lewis in his prime.

Laters

lol...the jmm fights were very close, lots of rounds could have gone either way. but once again...tell him to get his ass off the canvas and MAYBE, just MAYBE he would win in those close fights.

Tell me that the those knockouts on both fights didnt way heavily on the judges cards.

BTW...scroll up...see who i predicted in this fight...nuff said

milkyway21
12-11-2008, 02:42 AM

As for Oscar hopefully he retires and stays retired and stops taking up valuable and limited TV dates.
either Hutton or Mayweather according to sources

Manny Pacquiao might retire next yr.
He said one or 2 fights more for him and he's done.

mexicanjunior
12-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Manny Pacquiao might retire next yr.
He said one or 2 fights more for him and he's done.

That would suck, he is the sports biggest draw now...

SAtoDallas
12-11-2008, 11:12 AM
lol...the jmm fights were very close, lots of rounds could have gone either way. but once again...tell him to get his ass off the canvas and MAYBE, just MAYBE he would win in those close fights.

Tell me that the those knockouts on both fights didnt way heavily on the judges cards.

BTW...scroll up...see who i predicted in this fight...nuff said

You mean knockdowns, and of course they played a part in him getting the nod. You just irritated me by saying that Marquez never got off the canvas. They fought in entertaining fights but I think Pac carries 140 so well he'll have a hard time getting down for a third fight with JMM.

I hope with all the talk of pound for pound talk that Lil' Floyd comes out of retirement, I think Manny is just as fast, is physically stronger and cracks alot harder and would put him down. If we can't get that then putting an ass whupping on Hatton would make for an entertaining fight, once again I think he's just as strong or stronger than Hatton and is way faster.

TheMACHINE
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
You mean knockdowns, and of course they played a part in him getting the nod. You just irritated me by saying that Marquez never got off the canvas. They fought in entertaining fights but I think Pac carries 140 so well he'll have a hard time getting down for a third fight with JMM.

I hope with all the talk of pound for pound talk that Lil' Floyd comes out of retirement, I think Manny is just as fast, is physically stronger and cracks alot harder and would put him down. If we can't get that then putting an ass whupping on Hatton would make for an entertaining fight, once again I think he's just as strong or stronger than Hatton and is way faster.

understood. Didnt mean to make it seem like i was clowning on JMM. I just meant that if he didnt fall, those fights were his.

Anyways, hope a beatdown of Hatton will entice PBF to get out of retirement.

BTW...jmm told reporters he wants to meet Manny at 147. ;)

SAtoDallas
12-11-2008, 05:02 PM
understood. Didnt mean to make it seem like i was clowning on JMM. I just meant that if he didnt fall, those fights were his.

Anyways, hope a beatdown of Hatton will entice PBF to get out of retirement.

BTW...jmm told reporters he wants to meet Manny at 147. ;)

JMM is an intelligent fighter but I think taking Manny at 147 he'd get destroyed (Marquez that is).

We've got a couple of interesting fights this weekend and early next year is looking pretty entertaining as well.