PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Big Three Finally Click In Victory Over Nuggets

duncan228
12-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Big Three finally clicks in victory over Nuggets (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Big_Three_finally_clicks_in_victory_over_Nuggets.h tml)
By Mike Monroe

The Spurs seemed to agree that Thursday night's 108-91 victory over the Denver Nuggets represented their closest approximation this season of what they call “Spurs basketball.”

Roughly defined, it means they played stifling defense, combined with aggression on offense, and shared the basketball.

It was no coincidence the return to a formula that has produced four championships since 1999 came when their Big Three of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker had their most productive game of the season. They combined for 64 points, 17 assists and 17 rebounds.

“Finally,” Parker said.

Duncan was three assists shy of a triple-double, and had five blocks. It took him a while to answer when asked if this was the first time the Big Three had been fully engaged this year. But his conclusion was significant.

“As a team we played some of our best basketball, to date,” said Duncan, whose defensive work in the low block was termed “tremendous” by coach Gregg Popovich. “We were a lot more consistent defensively. We were a lot more aggressive getting to the rim. Consistently, throughout the game, we moved the ball. Obviously, Manu and Tony scored some points. You add those up, and I guess I agree.”

Popovich quibbled with a third-period stretch when his team committed too many fouls and Denver got to the basket too often. Otherwise, he agreed the effort was close to what he likes to see for 48 minutes.

“When we play good defense like that and make a few shots, we're a pretty good team,” he said. “And we did make shots.”

Ginobili played 30 minutes, his longest stint since returning. He was most pleased he and his fellow All-Stars were in synch.

“It looked better because I made my shots,” said Ginobili, who made 7 of 11, including 4 of 7 3-pointers. “That makes everything easier. But we created a lot for each other.

“We didn't do it correctly against the Pistons. It was a really good bounce back.”

Learning curve: Rookie George Hill, held out of the second half of Tuesday's loss to the Pistons, returned to his role as Tony Parker's backup Thursday. He scored 11 points and had five rebounds and two assists in 19 minutes, 23 seconds.

“Whatever is best for the team, (Popovich) knows,” Hill said of his second-half on the bench Tuesday. “I'm never going to question that.

“You always want to be out there and do what you can to help the team win. (Thursday) was a great team effort.”

tomtom
12-05-2008, 11:51 PM
sign for good things to come :)