PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Wallop Warriors

duncan228
12-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Updated.

Spurs run wild over Warriors (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_wallop_Warriors.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Ninety minutes before his team ran headfirst into a silver and black buzz saw Saturday night, Golden State coach Don Nelson stood on the AT&T Court and accused his good friend and former assistant Gregg Popovich of thievery.

Nelson had just finished watching film of Popovich's Spurs team, running offensive schemes that looked more than vaguely familiar.

“A lot of it he stole from me,” Nelson said with a wink.

The next time the two coaches break pregame bread together, Nelson would be well served to hit Popovich for tips on coaxing a team to play defense. It's only a fair trade.

In a game that was competitive for all of six minutes, the Spurs had seven scorers crack double figures Saturday en route to a 123-88 dismantling of the Warriors that ranks as their most lopsided victory of the season.

Tim Duncan led the Spurs with 20 points and 13 rebounds in just 21 minutes, while Tony Parker and Michael Finley each chipped in 17 points in a short night's work. Matt Bonner (14), Fabricio Oberto (12), Roger Mason Jr. (10) and George Hill (10) also reached double digits.

Apprised of the Xs and Os robbery charges Nelson had levied against him pregame, Popovich pled no contest.

“I would imagine he's probably right,” Popovich said. “It's all either his play, or a variation.”

Using Nelson's own medicine against him, the Spurs (11-8) set a season scoring high for a regulation game, surpassed only by a 129-125 double-overtime victory at Minnesota.

The Spurs' first seven field goals Saturday were all layups. By the end of the first quarter, the Spurs led 35-21.

They scored on 16 of their first 18 possessions in the third quarter and went into the fourth ahead 104-67. By then, the Spurs already had posted more points than they had in 14 of their 18 previous games.

“It's not just one guy scoring,” Bonner said. “When a bunch of guys are hitting their shots, it becomes contagious.”

In a telltale sign of offensive efficiency, the Spurs assisted on a season-high 35 of their 47 field goals Saturday.

“In instances we might have over-passed,” Finley said, picking nits. “For the most part, we were sharing the ball. When we do that, we're a tough team to defend.”

By night's end, the Spurs left the building Saturday with their second consecutive blowout victory, making Thursday's 108-91 triumph in Denver look like a nail-biter by comparison. The 35-point margin of victory against the Warriors was their largest since March 26, 2007, when they beat — surprise! — Golden State, 120-79.

Saturday night's face plant was the ninth straight loss for 5-15 Golden State, which gave up at least 100 points in eight of them.

Saturday's sieve-like defensive performance was actually the Warriors' stingiest in four games. Their previous three opponents had all topped 130.

“I went through this with the Clippers,” said Golden State's Corey Maggette, who went 1 for 10 in his first game against the Spurs since rebuffing their offseason free-agent pitch. “Trust me, it's getting old.”

Sign No. 104 your season has officially bottomed out: Players are beginning to reminisce wistfully about playing for the Clippers.

The Spurs took a 65-49 lead into halftime, then used their efficient third quarter to transform the game into what Nelson would later call “a good old-fashioned (butt) kicking.”

By the fourth, Popovich had all but emptied his bench. He also was running an offense Nelson could scarcely recognize. In the NBA equivalent of a quarterback taking a knee, Popovich prohibited his team from fast breaks.

After the game, Popovich was asked if the Spurs' triple-digit scoring nights could continue.

“Sure, why not?” Popovich said. “We're known for that.”

Forgotten in Popovich's playfully sarcastic response is this: The Spurs face the Warriors two more times this season.

m33p0
12-07-2008, 12:03 AM
the warriors have been giving up an average of 133 points the previous 3 games. they are really offensive defensively speaking.

Thompson
12-07-2008, 12:12 AM
the warriors have been giving up an average of 133 points the previous 3 games. they are really offensive defensively speaking.

I hope they keep it up. We own their 2nd round draft pick this year. Maybe it will be almost as good as one of our average 1st rounders.

Bender
12-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I watched most of the game on TV. The Warriors looked like a badly coached team... I thought Nelson was a good coach?? :wtf

Manufan909
12-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Apparently Davis is the missing link, and Ellis too.

benefactor
12-07-2008, 12:30 AM
http://home.cwru.edu/~bwm3/stupid/cat-owned.jpg

MrChug
12-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Spurs bitches!!!

pawe
12-07-2008, 01:34 AM
tough game against Dallas coming up. i hope this is enough to build their confidence. cant wait to see Hill matchup against Barea

Blackjack
12-07-2008, 02:47 AM
In a telltale sign of offensive efficiency, the Spurs assisted on a season-high 35 of their 47 field goals Saturday.

:wow

That's flat-out absurd.

m33p0
12-07-2008, 02:54 AM
i didn't catch this the first time i read this article

Sign No. 104 your season has officially bottomed out: Players are beginning to reminisce wistfully about playing for the Clippers.:lol :lmao

Anti.Hero
12-07-2008, 03:04 AM
how much is Nelson getting paid this year to watch his team play absolutely no defense?

Darkwaters
12-07-2008, 03:11 AM
I hope they keep it up. We own their 2nd round draft pick this year. Maybe it will be almost as good as one of our average 1st rounders.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that. Good point!

Although...last time we had a premium 2nd round pick (33rd) we drafted Marcus Williams.

The Truth #6
12-07-2008, 03:15 AM
i didn't catch this the first time i read this article
:lol :lmao

Yeah, I saw that but I think McDonald misinterpreted what Magette said.

Manufan909
12-07-2008, 05:02 AM
By the fourth, Popovich had all but emptied his bench. He also was running an offense Nelson could scarcely recognize. In the NBA equivalent of a quarterback taking a knee, Popovich prohibited his team from fast breaks.

Pop really did that?

timvp
12-07-2008, 06:13 AM
“I went through this with the Clippers,” said Golden State's Corey Maggette, who went 1 for 10 in his first game against the Spurs since rebuffing their offseason free-agent pitch. “Trust me, it's getting old.”

Sign No. 104 your season has officially bottomed out: Players are beginning to reminisce wistfully about playing for the Clippers.Is it more or did that second paragraph make absolutely no sense in relation to Maggette's quote.

mystargtr34
12-07-2008, 06:24 AM

I didnt know about that one. How did they get that one?

mrspurs
12-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Great game indeed. But I never forgot who we played. This morning I watched the Pacman/Oscar fight. And it was much like the Spurs game. An expected total blow out by an opponent clearly much better and nothing else. Anyone who thought Oscar with his flash of lies had a chance against Pacman, might have well thought the Warriors had a chance against our Spurs. Its just not gonna happen. Not with a bunch of well coached quitters. When we outscore a team in the paint, and from beyond the arc noway we lose. But this was a typical Nellie team. And a typical Warriors team. Like Ive said so many times before about Nellie and where ever he's coached. Those fans are suckers. You might as well just send your money into the NBA and let them spend it for ya. But on some nights the popcorn is better then others. We would have probably had a better game against the Toros. And the way Oscar quit with nothing wrong with him but his feelings being hurt, looked like some of the times that our Spurs have quit on themselves. To quit on your teammates is unacceptable. To quit on yourself is playing your fans and the people who paid alot of money for suckers and is a total disgrace. Going through game film and trying to learn something from last nights game will be a waste of time. Everyone knows you only go to Golden State for the money. There is no other reason to play there while Nellie is coaching. And on a quick note. Way to go Fab, 12 points in 24 minutes. And from the bench. hahahaha........As for Oscar, what a disgrace to your sport. A disgrace to Filipino's. A disgrace to Americans. And a complete disgrace to Hispanics all over the world. Now Oscar will go down as the Roberto Duran of this generation. A loud mouth quitter..............no more, no less.

mrspurs
12-07-2008, 09:00 AM
how much is Nelson getting paid this year to watch his team play absolutely no defense?

The same as every year. To much..........

T Park
12-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Is it more or did that second paragraph make absolutely no sense in relation to Maggette's quote.

:lol

You guys take this writing thing wayyyyyy too seriously.

SenorSpur
12-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I watched most of the game on TV. The Warriors looked like a badly coached team... I thought Nelson was a good coach?? :wtf

Nelson should be relieved of his coaching duties. He's clearly living off his reputation and that miraculous 2007 upset of the Mavs. Now, it's as though he doesn't give a shit. That Warriors team IS poorly coached, badly outplayed and the younger players are learning no fundamentals about the game whatsoever. They're just absolutely awful. It resembles rec league ball.

I don't understand how an owner or a GM can look at that team, and the style they play, and think they'll be competitive anytime soon.

Thompson
12-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I didnt know about that one. How did they get that one?

When we traded Goran Dragic to the Suns they gave us their pick a few slots later (Malik Hairston) and the Warriors' pick that they owned at the time for the 2009 draft (along with some extra cash, I believe).

It would also be nice if we could use the early 2nd rounder + cash to move into the 1st round, perhaps to grab a small forward (supposedly they were interested in Omri Casspi). Then buy out Splitter (I've read one or two places that he has a $500,000 buyout this summer) and bring him over along with Gist, call it an offseason.

scanry
12-07-2008, 02:41 PM
When we traded Goran Dragic to the Suns they gave us their pick a few slots later (Malik Hairston) and the Warriors' pick that they owned at the time for the 2009 draft (along with some extra cash, I believe).

It would also be nice if we could use the early 2nd rounder + cash to move into the 1st round, perhaps to grab a small forward (supposedly they were interested in Omri Casspi). Then buy out Splitter (I've read one or two places that he has a $500,000 buyout this summer) and bring him over along with Gist, call it an offseason.

Why is Phoenix so damn dumb. I'm actually glad that we'll no longer regret our 2009 1st round pick. Basically we're being bumped 4-5 spots down.

I guess the Kurt Thomas trade wasn't all bad after all.

BTW we should definitely move up the draft by paying a team like Cleveland or Orlando and grab their draft pick.