PDA

View Full Version : What's the Chance that Manu will land with other team in 2010

jemanuel
12-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Honestly, I hate to bring this up, but I just feel that most don't feel for Manu the way it was before, even to Tony too. I bet a lot of teams out there would rather have Manu in their team. Hope to see a major sky to the limit offer for MANU!!! So will give a much room for your newly found fave Spurs players. That hurts really!!!

Manu4Life

tp2021
12-07-2008, 03:32 AM
If he wants more than what the Spurs think he's worth, they show him the door ever so kindly.

Juanobili
12-07-2008, 03:41 AM
10% chance

Kori Ellis
12-07-2008, 03:47 AM
I don't think you will see a "major sky to the limit" offer for Manu, if you mean a max offer. He'll be 33 that summer, and Manu probably won't play much after 35.

Kori Ellis
12-07-2008, 03:48 AM
But I don't know what you mean about most don't feel the same for him. He's still a fan favorite here.

jemanuel
12-07-2008, 03:53 AM
But I don't know what you mean about most don't feel the same for him. He's still a fan favorite here.

yeah, maybe am just the one feeling paranoid at times... :bang:bang:bang

Kori Ellis
12-07-2008, 03:56 AM
yeah, maybe am just the one feeling paranoid at times... :bang:bang:bang

Just because fans might love Mason or Hill, it doesn't mean they love Manu less. There's enough love to go around :lol It's like when you have a second child, it doesn't mean you love your first child less.

jemanuel
12-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Just because fans might love Mason or Hill, it doesn't mean they love Manu less. There's enough love to go around :lol It's like when you have a second child, it doesn't mean you love your first child less.

dats a kewl one...:downspin: good reader between the lines...so treat me then as one of those your child...:lol...:flag::flag::flag:

JamStone
12-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Hopefully, very little if any chance at all.

I actually think Manu has a better chance playing in Europe in 2010 than he does playing for another NBA team other than San Antonio.

He'll stay with the Spurs.

Bruno
12-07-2008, 04:19 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Manu signing a contract extension with Spurs soon.
Spurs and Manu have had some talk about that but Spurs wanted to see how he recovers of the ankle surgery before pursuing negotiations.
While Manu still isn't at 100%, he looks like he has successfully recovered from this injury. Spurs and his agent should be back at the negotiation table soon and a agreement could be find.

angelbelow
12-07-2008, 04:34 AM
i hope he stays. i cant imagine him in another uniform.

m33p0
12-07-2008, 04:36 AM
if i was Manu and i happen to visit this site regularly... you can kiss my ass goodbye.

Kori Ellis
12-07-2008, 04:42 AM
if i was Manu and i happen to visit this site regularly... you can kiss my ass goodbye.

:lol That's funny. Manu is probably the most loved by SpursTalk-ers.

tp2021
12-07-2008, 06:39 AM

Cuz they're all atheists.

:stirpot:

timvp
12-07-2008, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Manu signing a contract extension with Spurs soon.
Spurs and Manu have had some talk about that but Spurs wanted to see how he recovers of the ankle surgery before pursuing negotiations.
While Manu still isn't at 100%, he looks like he has successfully recovered from this injury. Spurs and his agent should be back at the negotiation table soon and a agreement could be find.I agree that Manu will be signed to an extension before he ever becomes a free agent. However, I think it'll be this upcoming summer after the Spurs make sure his ankle holds up for the entire season.

At that time, I expect something like a 2-year, $22-25M offer and for Manu to take it.

tp2021
12-07-2008, 07:06 AM
timvp, in your opinion, what are the chances in 2010 that:

1)The Spurs are serious contenders for Chris Bosh, and
2)Tiago Splitter joins the Spurs?

SpurSupremacist
12-07-2008, 07:26 AM
I hope for the sake of the Spurs he is traded after, or during this season for a young big. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate what Manu has done, but it is the prudent move to make.

TDMVPDPOY
12-07-2008, 07:42 AM
i trade him to the blazers for oden.....anyone not named duncan is tradeable....

SpurSupremacist
12-07-2008, 07:54 AM

I see people get critical about Manu on here a lot. I hardly ever see anyone have anything negative to say about Tim. It's almost like it's blasphemy on this board to say anything negative about him. But what can you really say negative about him? Other than he hasn't rebounded the ball as well as in previous years up to this point.

wijayas
12-07-2008, 08:35 AM
i trade him to the blazers for oden.....anyone not named duncan is tradeable....

I can't imagine a Spurs team without Manu. He embodies every single values that Spurs is all about.

To extend the Spurs dynasty, it is sad and painful to think that we may have to trade Manu at some point. Manu is Pop's favorite and fan's favorite. Manu is also our tradeable asset where we can get some valuable asset back in return who can help us run beyond Duncan's time.

If we sign Manu for max money in 2010 (Manu deserves every single penny), we may not have the financial flexibility to keep contending in the long run.

timvp
12-07-2008, 08:44 AM
timvp, in your opinion, what are the chances in 2010 that:

1)The Spurs are serious contenders for Chris Bosh, and
2)Tiago Splitter joins the Spurs?

While Bosh is from Texas and he's friendly with Duncan, it's an extreme long-shot that he lands in San Antonio. I'm not even sure the Spurs will have the max money to offer him. Right now, I'd say the chances are less than 1%.

I'm not sure about Splitter. At least part of his issue with not signing with the Spurs this past season was because the Spurs "had too many bigmen" and he didn't know how much he'd play. With KT, Oberto, Bonner and Mahinmi all potentially being free agents, that might be enough to persuade Splitter.

But who knows. Splitter may continue staying in Tau for the money and won't want to risk life in the NBA. For the Spurs sake, hopefully there is some change in the CBA to allow the Spurs to offer him more than a rookie deal. If that doesn't happen, hopefully at least the dollar gets stronger against the Euro by 2010 to make the ocean between his two potential salaries not as vast.

Rogue
12-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Manu is pretty cute a player with duncan's PicknRoll and drawing defense pressure, but he isn't gonna be that cute with the pressure Tims draws for him. He is a great player here in san antonio but he is nothing in any other team. Just like Ben wallace who was thrice year's defender in detroit but just a crap in either Chicago or Cleverland, Manu won't be a little bit better than ben's case if we walks from san antonio to Houston or Dallas.

Fool Ben is in CLEVERland:lmao.

mrspurs
12-07-2008, 09:29 AM
While Manu still isn't at 100%, he looks like he has successfully recovered from this injury. Spurs and his agent should be back at the negotiation table soon and a agreement could be find.

Yep...........And Ill add I think his days of betraying his coach and team mates wishes and playing for Argentina are done.

InK
12-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Yep...........And Ill add I think his days of betraying his coach and team mates wishes and playing for Argentina are done.

You suck.

raspsa
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I think the Spurs will do whatever is necessary to sign manu to an extension and will be successful. After the extension, I see manu playing out his days in Europe.

AFBlue
12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
If Manu doesn't sign an extension offer with the Spurs and is a FA going into 2010, he just might get a big offer from a desperate club. I think there will be more willing teams than FAs in 2010 and someone is going to be looking to spend.

And while Manu definitely will be in decline skill-wise, he will still bring the toughness, leadership, and winning attitude to the floor every night. I can think of alot of teams with money to burn that would overpay for that. If he's a FA going into 2010, I'd put it at 50%.

Again, all depending on whether or not he gets an extension....

kaji157
12-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I would say that the Spurs will extend Manu at the end of the season for about 2 years between 15 and 25 millions, thatīs very close to what he is earning now.

After the extnsion he might be traded, but if the spurs donīt extend him he will count against the cap like a max contrac and that would limiit the spurs even more than having manu signed.

JWest596
12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I see no problem while Tim Duncan is still on the team. Parker's young enough to bolt to another team that throws the kitchen sink at him which I suspect will happen as a FA.

kace
12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Manu is pretty cute a player with duncan's PicknRoll and drawing defense pressure, but he isn't gonna be that cute with the pressure Tims draws for him. He is a great player here in san antonio but he is nothing in any other team. Just like Ben wallace who was thrice year's defender in detroit but just a crap in either Chicago or Cleverland, Manu won't be a little bit better than ben's case if we walks from san antonio to Houston or Dallas.

are you serious ?? :rolleyes

please. manu would be great in any team. do you realize that he plays a lot without tim and even tony on the court and he does look good for me.

anyway, i don't even know why i'm arguing that manu would suck outside the spurs when he had been a star with argentina and in europe.

again, were you really serious ??

m33p0
12-07-2008, 12:36 PM

argentina winning the gold medal with manu as their leader pretty much negates your argument.

spursfan09
12-07-2008, 01:10 PM
:lol @ Manu fan's thinking he's not appreciated. He is very much liked and loved by Spur fans. He is going to stay a Spur probably until the end of his career. Sometimes it's business though so you never really know. But I doubt Manu will leave because he feels like he doesn't get the credit he deserves from the fans. The only person I can imagine leaving is Tony Parker, because he may feel the Spurs will not be a contender anymore and will want to play for one.

Anti.Hero
12-07-2008, 01:13 PM
0%

Deimosfobos
12-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Manu will stay a Spur as long as Pop Still wants him on the team... It would take a really bad offer from the FO and a great one from other team to leave otherwise, but if that happens, means he's not wanted anyways.

ILoveOranges
12-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't forget Manu initially took a giant reduction in his paycheck when he came into the NBA from the Euroleague; he wanted to play for the NBA and he wanted to play for the Spurs. With all the time he has spent here, all the friends he has made, and the hilariously brash and ubiquitous fan base, I just don't see him leaving San Antonio to play somewhere else for two, maybe three years. Unless he'd go back to the Euroleague, that is.

DPG21920
12-07-2008, 02:09 PM
If Manu signs for what TimVP says, that means no "big" free agent in 2010.

spursnatic
12-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I think he would take less money from the Spurs than to go to another team for more. He is a very humble human being and very commited to this organization..I love that about him!!! So I think he would rather stick around here truthfully!!! Loyalty is a Great thing!!!:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2::flag:

spursnatic
12-07-2008, 03:06 PM
:lol @ Manu fan's thinking he's not appreciated. He is very much liked and loved by Spur fans. He is going to stay a Spur probably until the end of his career. Sometimes it's business though so you never really know. But I doubt Manu will leave because he feels like he doesn't get the credit he deserves from the fans. The only person I can imagine leaving is Tony Parker, because he may feel the Spurs will not be a contender anymore and will want to play for one.
But how many contenders do you think are going to give max contracts?....That is what it would take to get him and usually title contenders already have enough depth on their rosters and little cap space. So it is always the shitty teams who offer the most money.:flag::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2::flag:

Taking it to the Hole
12-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Manu will finish his career as a Spur. You can bet on that.

Ginobilirules
12-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Manu's already said countless times that he plans to retire his whole career with the spurs i've seen his interviews as well as his own website he's confirmed this many times if you learn to read and check it out, this is a stupid post"". MANU'S ONE OF THE UNTOUCHABLES"" POP'S ALREADY COPNFIRMED THIS AS HAS THE SPURS MNGMNT. no joke". he's too important.

de Soto
12-07-2008, 04:45 PM
The Spurs made Manu. He's not going anywhere. Same with Tony. At least as long as Pop is at the helm of the franchise.

senorglory
12-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Pop did screw Del Negro, maybe Manu is next.

12-07-2008, 05:19 PM
ginobili is a good player but i rather the spurs let him go than offer him an overpriced contract just to repay him for the past years. at 33-35, he's going to be the type of player brent barry was - spreading the floor with 3's and passing. that's not worth $11-12 million a year. if i remember correctly, barry and finley got around $6-8 million at about the same age. that's what the spurs should offer ginobili. overpaying him by $6 million would disrupt the plan of bringing in new talent for the future. have to rebuild at some point.

kaji157
12-07-2008, 06:12 PM
ginobili is a good player but i rather the spurs let him go than offer him an overpriced contract just to repay him for the past years. at 33-35, he's going to be the type of player brent barry was - spreading the floor with 3's and passing. that's not worth $11-12 million a year. if i remember correctly, barry and finley got around $6-8 million at about the same age. that's what the spurs should offer ginobili. overpaying him by $6 million would disrupt the plan of bringing in new talent for the future. have to rebuild at some point.
While your point is correct i would say that franchises known for overpaying at the end of a players career sucha as we did with bowen, and we may did with the Duncan extension and probably manuīs too is a label that top teams have.

When you are trying to lure free agents on the cheap, having this reputation will help you find players willing to play for a small first contract to be in an organization known for respecting their word.

Manufan909
12-07-2008, 06:25 PM
argentina winning the gold medal with manu as their leader pretty much negates your argument.

Damn it, 2 people beat me making this dumb fuck look like an imbecil. :bang

12-07-2008, 07:37 PM
While your point is correct i would say that franchises known for overpaying at the end of a players career sucha as we did with bowen, and we may did with the Duncan extension and probably manuīs too is a label that top teams have.

When you are trying to lure free agents on the cheap, having this reputation will help you find players willing to play for a small first contract to be in an organization known for respecting their word.

that's true but rewarding players in their old age with overpriced contracts destroys teams. shaq, kidd, and j. o'neal all pop into mind as players whose heavy contracts bog down a team's ability for flexibility. ginobili's contract won't nearly reach this level but the spurs would be more susceptible to other teams offering a little bit more to lure one or two free agents away without the extra $6 million. there are a lot of teams with plenty of cap room in 2010 and all teams have an MLE to spend. spurs need enough money to outbid other teams with MLE.

m33p0
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
he'll be offered/asking the same contract he has now. he deserves more but he also wants to win.

1usamotorsports.com
12-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I miss manu when he was unstoppable and makin them 30 points a night back to back . Now he seems to be missing alot and doing more turn overs than making shots. Is he done?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I agree that Manu will be signed to an extension before he ever becomes a free agent. However, I think it'll be this upcoming summer after the Spurs make sure his ankle holds up for the entire season.

At that time, I expect something like a 2-year, $22-25M offer and for Manu to take it.

That much? Seems like a lot for a 34-5 yo with lots of miles... not that I begrudge it to him at all, he took a paycut on his current contract to help the team, but wouldn't giving Manu that much compromise the vaunted 2010 FA plan the FO is all about?

While Bosh is from Texas and he's friendly with Duncan, it's an extreme long-shot that he lands in San Antonio. I'm not even sure the Spurs will have the max money to offer him. Right now, I'd say the chances are less than 1%.

Huh? Hasn't that been the plan since the '07 ring? Isn't that what all the short-term contracts are about? Why would they change it now? What do you know that we don't? Do tell!

AFBlue
12-07-2008, 11:02 PM
My guess is that a Manu extension comes at a decent discount in the 2010 year, similar to how Duncan's contract is structured ($18M in 2010 and $22M in 2011). I'd guess Manu gets somewhere around $7-8M in 2010 and then it bumps to $11-12M in the next year (or two).

That should keep the Spurs competitive for max or near-max deals if they want to dole them out.

Note: They could do that kind of deal and make a max deal for one of the restricted FAs (lower "max" than players w/ 6 or more years in the league). Someone like LeMarcus Aldridge or Rudy Gay maybe.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-07-2008, 11:04 PM

EPIC FAIL.

Your credentials as a Spurs fan are revoked as you have obviously never watched the team play.

Fer fucksake, get off your bullshit high horse. The Spurs don't OWN Manu, they HIRE him. He can do whatever he likes in the off-season within the bounds of his contract. Playing for your national team is not treacherous.

By your rationale, any US team players (or Chinese, or any other national team) who carried an injury into the Olympics and decided to try to play through it are also "traitors". By your rationale, anyone who plays for their country is a traitor to their commercial team. By your rationale, money is more important than country. :rolleyes

Do you ever come with an insightful take? I'm yet to see one.

txallstar
12-07-2008, 11:11 PM
so because you think most dont feel for manu here like before? so the spurs will let him go. yeah ok.

hey manu fans dont love you as much like a couple of years ago, so umm we're not going to resign you. parker too.

MarHill
12-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Manu's already said countless times that he plans to retire his whole career with the spurs i've seen his interviews as well as his own website he's confirmed this many times if you learn to read and check it out, this is a stupid post"". MANU'S ONE OF THE UNTOUCHABLES"" POP'S ALREADY COPNFIRMED THIS AS HAS THE SPURS MNGMNT. no joke". he's too important.

I agree with you.

I would definitely keep this guy for as long as he can play. His intangibles are off the chart and is one of the most competitive guys in the league.

I believe the Spurs will give him a fair extension and he remains a Spur!!!

Kori Ellis
12-08-2008, 01:01 AM
That much? Seems like a lot for a 34-5 yo with lots of miles... not that I begrudge it to him at all, he took a paycut on his current contract to help the team, but wouldn't giving Manu that much compromise the vaunted 2010 FA plan the FO is all about?

Huh? When did Manu take a paycut? The Spurs had a max number they were willing to offer him for his current contract. They offered it and he took it. He didn't take a pay cut.

I think Manu will be offered a 2 year contract for about $20M.

lurker23
12-08-2008, 01:45 AM
My guess is that a Manu extension comes at a decent discount in the 2010 year, similar to how Duncan's contract is structured ($18M in 2010 and $22M in 2011). I'd guess Manu gets somewhere around $7-8M in 2010 and then it bumps to $11-12M in the next year (or two).

That should keep the Spurs competitive for max or near-max deals if they want to dole them out.

That's pretty similar to my thinking. I think they'll treat Manu similar to Duncan, telling him, "If you really want a max contract extension for 2-3 years, we'll give it to you. We want you to stick around, so if that takes 2 years, $25 million, so be it. However, we want to test out the free agent market in 2010. So, we can put a much better team around you guys if you take 3 years starting at ~$7 million."

wisnub
12-08-2008, 02:29 AM
I didnt know that all Spurs big men will be free agents in 2010 if its not from timvp. I know Manu will be free agent, but ssomehow im still dreaming Lebron will go to Spurs..i think salary that should be spend on Manu,KT and Fab will be enough to lure him to SA,but I dont know if this is possible. That would be a dream come true if thats happen..i love Manu but having Lebron as replacement is an upgrade..KT and Fab will be old at that time and I guess Ian and the rise of garbage truck Bonner is enough to replace them. Nice dream :downspin:

wisnub
12-08-2008, 02:31 AM
That's pretty similar to my thinking. I think they'll treat Manu similar to Duncan, telling him, "If you really want a max contract extension for 2-3 years, we'll give it to you. We want you to stick around, so if that takes 2 years, $25 million, so be it. However, we want to test out the free agent market in 2010. So, we can put a much better team around you guys if you take 3 years starting at ~$7 million."

Hopefullt that is what will happen...that way Spurs will get enough salary cap to make a run for rising talents to upgrade Spurs roster

Kori Ellis
12-08-2008, 03:23 AM
I'd guess Manu gets somewhere around $7-8M in 2010 and then it bumps to $11-12M in the next year (or two).

That's not possible. He can only get a 10.5% raise. So if he makes $8M in 2008, he'd make $8.84M the next year. Unless you are talking about giving him a one-year deal and then giving him a different deal the following year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-08-2008, 05:02 AM
Huh? When did Manu take a paycut? The Spurs had a max number they were willing to offer him for his current contract. They offered it and he took it. He didn't take a pay cut.

What I meant was that he was offered more elsewhere (didn't Denver offer him 6mil more to go there?), sorry for the imprecision.

m33p0
12-08-2008, 07:33 AM
hey manu fans dont love you as much like a couple of years ago, so umm we're not going to resign you. parker too.
That's it! You can kiss my flag-touting, non-believing argentinian ass goodbye!
-Manu

Kori Ellis
12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
What I meant was that he was offered more elsewhere (didn't Denver offer him 6mil more to go there?), sorry for the imprecision.

No, Denver never made him an offer.

pad300
12-08-2008, 10:45 AM

I'd be tempted to borrow a trick from Chicago... Give him a long but decreasing contract. He'd be falling into a Brent Barry role as he got older anyway; why not pay him like BB's last contract (which was acceptable value for the Spurs).

Say a full 6 years, 9.76, 9.09, 8.42, 7.74, 7.07, 6.4 $Millions. A total of roughly 48.5 Million over 6 years.

In 2010, we'd be committed to (estimated) 44.75 $Millions (Tim 18.7, Tony, 13.5, Manu 9.76, Hill 1.16, Ian 1.62 $Millions). That would allow us enough space for 1 max contract (starting at ~13 Million), assuming a salary cap of ~ 60 $Millions (this year it was 58.68$M)...

Kori Ellis
12-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd be tempted to borrow a trick from Chicago... Give him a long but decreasing contract. He'd be falling into a Brent Barry role as he got older anyway; why not pay him like BB's last contract (which was acceptable value for the Spurs).

Say a full 6 years, 9.76, 9.09, 8.42, 7.74, 7.07, 6.4 $Millions. A total of roughly 48.5 Million over 6 years.

In 2010, we'd be committed to (estimated) 44.75 $Millions (Tim 18.7, Tony, 13.5, Manu 9.76, Hill 1.16, Ian 1.62 $Millions). That would allow us enough space for 1 max contract (starting at ~13 Million), assuming a salary cap of ~ 60 $Millions (this year it was 58.68$M)...

Huh? Barry was making like $5M as a Spur, not $9.76M.

pad300
12-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Huh? Barry was making like $5M as a Spur, not $9.76M.

Barry was making the MLE (essentially); while Manu isn't going to drop into the Barry role at 33 (2010 season), by the time he's 37 or so, he'll be making (under my suggestion) 6.4 million, which will likely be the MLE by that time, and he'll be playing the Barry role, with someone else acting as starting SG...

Also, if we simply offered say 6 years at the MLE, I wouldn't expect Manu to take it...This way, he gets about twice as much money as is being offered for short term contracts (~25 M$), and the Spurs get a rational cost for the player he will be (ie a salary bill that declines as Manu gets worse).

Kori Ellis
12-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Barry was making the MLE (essentially); while Manu isn't going to drop into the Barry role at 33 (2010 season), by the time he's 37 or so, he'll be making (under my suggestion) 6.4 million, which will likely be the MLE by that time, and he'll be playing the Barry role, with someone else acting as starting SG...

Also, if we simply offered say 6 years at the MLE, I wouldn't expect Manu to take it...This way, he gets about twice as much money as is being offered for short term contracts (~25 M$), and the Spurs get a rational cost for the player he will be (ie a salary bill that declines as Manu gets worse).

I don't think there's any way the Spurs offer Manu anything longer than 3 years, but I guess anything can happen.

TMTTRIO
12-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't see Manu leaving unless we trade him or a Euroleague team comes after him. I could possibly see him ending is career over there where he started.