PDA

View Full Version : Maggette Has Second Thoughts About Not Signing With Spurs

duncan228
12-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Second thoughts? (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/07/SPSC14JDK5.DTL)

Corey Maggette admitted he's thought twice of his offseason decision to sign with the Warriors instead of the Spurs.

"I've thought about that all the time," said Maggette, who scored six points on 1-for-10 shooting. "I love all the people here (in San Antonio). I like the organization, (Spurs coach) Gregg Popovich. I'm really good friends with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. They really supported me coming up.

"If it was any other way, I would've been here."

Maggette turned down the Spurs' multiple-year deal starting at $5.8 million annually for the Warriors' five year, $50 million offer.

m33p0
12-07-2008, 04:39 AM
Dear Corey,

Thank you for not giving it any further thoughts.

with Love,
Roger Mason, Jr. and the entire Spurs organization down to its loyal fans

timtonymanu
12-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Well that's what you get for wasting alot of our time trying to make it seem like you're coming here. Now you're stinking it up with the Warriors while Mason is having the best year of his career with us.

polandprzem
12-07-2008, 05:04 AM
He is all happy with his money and points in Oakland

mystargtr34
12-07-2008, 06:18 AM
I think theres a bit of sincerity in his comments. I think he thought he had a legitimate shot at making the playoffs with the Warriors. Monta got injured after he signed, and their young guys havent really panned out. Still, even if he didnt, $50 million is alot more than $28 million. Assuming the Spurs offered him 5 years.

Deimosfobos
12-07-2008, 08:18 AM
I think theres a bit of sincerity in his comments. I think he thought he had a legitimate shot at making the playoffs with the Warriors. Monta got injured after he signed, and their young guys havent really panned out. Still, even if he didnt, $50 million is alot more than $28 million. Assuming the Spurs offered him 5 years.

Starting 5.8mill doesn't mean that it will increase each year? Should be closer to 35mill in that case... 15mill diff is still a lot tho.

Anyway, I'm happy he turned us down, he is sucking with the warriors while we have mason instead.

Obstructed_View
12-07-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't have any second thoughts about saying I didn't want him on the Spurs. That said, I'd have taken the 50 million if I were Maggette. There's not an NBA team that's so bad to play for that you can't be happy with the extra millions.

ShoogarBear
12-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Dear Corey,

with Love,

Should have gone in the "Dear Kobe" thread.

SenorSpur
12-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't have any second thoughts about saying I didn't want him on the Spurs. That said, I'd have taken the 50 million if I were Maggette. There's not an NBA team that's so bad to play for that you can't be happy with the extra millions.

:tu

Amen. Can't ever begrudge anyone for taking the highest offer. I'm sure most everyone would do the same thing. After all, an athletic career is relatively short when compared to living the rest of one's life.

That said, Spurs are doing just fine without him.

Rogue
12-07-2008, 09:12 AM
But Maggette is just kind of person who is money-first. Besides, Maggette is still pretty young so it's not time for him to dedicate money for a ring.

Malone gave up hign salary offered by utah, walking to LA to make up the so-called big four with the lakers, just for a ring. However, even though they beated the spurs in the quarter final, they were demolished by the pistons 1-4. Afterwards, Shaq swam to Miami while Malone retired regretully. Payton was pretty lucky compared to Malone because he was lucky enough to realize his dream with shaq in Miami. Corey may follow their steps in several years but not now.

On principle, we can still sign him anyway at the same prize the warriors offered him if Spur's boss is willing to pay the Luxury Tax. but the money in his pocket is so little that he can't afford even one penney of Luxury tax.

How I wish Mark Cuban will one day buy up all the stocks of the spurs team.

benefactor
12-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Hindsights 20/20 ain't it CM? As I said when he signed with the Warriors, enjoy your money and swimming in mediocrity...although its a stretch to even call the Warriors mediocre at this point.

mrspurs
12-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah right. Cory dont care about who or where he's playing. As long as every 2 weeks that paycheck is in that locker room. Cory is 100% happy.

honestfool84
12-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Dear Corey,

with Love,

the spurs don't really have loyal fans; at least there are only a few on spurstalk.

bigfan
12-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey, he made the right decision for himself at the time. RC and Pop were lucky he did or we would have missed out on Mason.

timvp
12-07-2008, 09:57 AM
After the Spurs missed out on Scola, it was hard to watch him do so well.

After the Spurs missed out on Maggette, it hasn't been as difficult, to say the least. It looks like his body is breaking down a bit and his passing skills have dried up in further. He doesn't look nearly as good as he did last season.

exstatic
12-07-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't think Maggette was really serious about being here, ever. If he was, he and his agent could have worked out something where he had guaranteed money and an option in 2010. Two years at the MLE plus three years of a chunk of our caproom > signing with the shit Warriors.

exstatic
12-07-2008, 10:29 AM
He doesn't look nearly as good as he did last season.

Contract year.

itzsoweezee
12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
lol @ all you people talking about he's "money first." like you idiots wouldn't take millions of dollars more if offered the chance.

Strike
12-07-2008, 11:10 AM
:tu

Amen. Can't ever begrudge anyone for taking the highest offer. I'm sure most everyone would do the same thing. After all, an athletic career is relatively short when compared to living the rest of one's life.

That said, Spurs are doing just fine without him.

You'd be saying the same thing if Tim had gone to Orlando, right?

T Park
12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
lol @ all you people talking about he's "money first." like you idiots wouldn't take millions of dollars more if offered the chance.

After years of making 8 and 9 million a year, and probobly over a career you've totaled 50 to 60 million, then yes I would've taken the less money over a couple years to sign for a championships.

Stuff it.

T Park
12-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Uh........

No.

Strike
12-07-2008, 11:20 AM

I turned down an offer for a job with a company willing to pay me more than my current salary. Even though I make less money, I'm happy with the company I'm with and the people there. I feel that had I gone after the money I wouldn't be as happy and content.

And let's put it in perspective: I don't make a 7 or 8 figure salary. An extra $7,500 per year for me would be a big improvement in my checkbook. When you're already making millions, are a few more millions worth more than the chance to win?

When your career is a competitive sport, does winning make any difference? Or is it ALL about the money?

THE SIXTH MAN
12-07-2008, 11:20 AM
After years of making 8 and 9 million a year, and probobly over a career you've totaled 50 to 60 million, then yes I would've taken the less money over a couple years to sign for a championships.

Stuff it.

+1

that's the difference between champs...and PAPER champs.

How many lambo's does Corey need anyway :convertib

YoMamaIsCallin
12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Yeah right. Cory dont care about who or where he's playing. As long as every 2 weeks that paycheck is in that locker room. Cory is 100% happy.

This is so wrong. Look, I'm not saying Maggette is the epitome of thoughtfulness, genorosity, and team spirit. But let's get real. He's in the prime of his career and was offered a long-term guaranteed contract for over 30% more than his other offer which was not long-term. This is a huge set-for-the-rest-of-my-life-as-a-rich-man deal. There is no question but that he made the right decision. The NBA is a business not a religious or fraternal or patriotic organization.

You can't compare this to someone like Malone in the dark reaches of the twilight of his career sacrificing a few million to have one last shot at a ring. He's got his, he's already made his coin on his long-term guaranteed contract.

And it's quite reasonable for a competitive player to regret not being on a contending team, even though he made the right career/business decision. I can totally understand that. Don't you have regrets over some of the decisions you made in your life, even thought they were the right ones at the time?

SenorSpur
12-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I turned down an offer for a job with a company willing to pay me more than my current salary. Even though I make less money, I'm happy with the company I'm with and the people there. I feel that had I gone after the money I wouldn't be as happy and content.

Apples vs Oranges. Never get caught up comparing the world of athletes to the decisions and lifestyles of us common folks. Too many external and internal differences that separate them from us.

T Park
12-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Apples vs Oranges. Never get caught up comparing the world of athletes to the decisions and lifestyles of us common folks. Too many external and internal differences that separate them from us.

Yeah, like them living in a fantasy world with their monopoly money, and not giving a shit about the game and just money.

Maggette is the epitome of that.

SenorSpur
12-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Wrong. There's no doubt I, among most, would've been extremely disappointed had Tim opted to go to Orlando. However, I wouldn't sit around planning to send a "death squad" after him because he chose to leave either.

Bottom line, there is little loyalty in sports - or in life for that matter. Self preservation is the basic law of nature. I don't begrudge someone who seeks to go elsewhere to "fatten their wallet". That said, I don't want to hear any complaints either, if that person later finds out "the grass is actually browner on the other side".

Kriz-Maxima
12-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Most of the people who hold it against him would probably go for the money. I can't blame a guy for looking out for his financial future.

SenorSpur
12-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, like them living in a fantasy world with their monopoly money, and not giving a shit about the game and just money.

Exactly. They don't have to live in real life. The rest of us do.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-07-2008, 12:16 PM
+1

that's the difference between champs...and PAPER champs.

How many lambo's does Corey need anyway :convertib

Well unfortunately for him there isn't a lambo-championship ring exchange rate. I agree with everyone who says take the championship over the money you don't need. It's not like Maggette was a 2nd round pick who's first NBA contract just expired, the Clippers were paying him bank for years, it shoulda been a no brainer decision of his to take the pay cut and let Popovich turn him into a basketball player rather than an basketball scorer.

I wanted the Suns to get him but I'm also glad they didn't. He doesn't play a lick of defense, has below average range on his jumper, and has a horrible attitude. The one reason he would have been a good fit on the Spurs is because he does slash very well without the ball and Duncan is great at luring the paint defenders out and then passing to the slasher, other than that I don't see Popovich being in his fan club anytime soon.

Allanon
12-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Malone gave up hign salary offered by utah, walking to LA to make up the so-called big four with the lakers, just for a ring. However, even though they beated the spurs in the quarter final, they were demolished by the pistons 1-4. Afterwards, Shaq swam to Miami while Malone retired regretully. Payton was pretty lucky compared to Malone because he was lucky enough to realize his dream with shaq in Miami. Corey may follow their steps in several years but not now.

Malone waited too long to sign with the Lakers, if he had done it 1 year earlier, he probably would have gotten his ring.

As for Corey Maggette, he's going after the money and not the ring. He would have been a good pick-up for the Spurs not only for his skills but also because he's an over-sized guard.

But since he chose the Warriors for 5 years, he's gonna be stuck in the losing grind until he's 34, and then if he gets real lucky, a Contender might pick him up for a ring run. Ronny Turiaf, also with the Warriors, has a smaller contract but he also gave up a chance to win rings for more money.

Ronny Turiaf probably won't admit it right now but he probably also regrets not staying with the Lakers.

Frenchise player
12-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Malone waited too long to sign with the Lakers, if he had done it 1 year earlier, he probably would have gotten his ring.

As for Corey Maggette, he's going after the money and not the ring. He would have been a good pick-up for the Spurs not only for his skills but also because he's an over-sized guard.

But since he chose the Warriors for 5 years, he's gonna be stuck in the losing grind until he's 34, and then if he gets real lucky, a Contender might pick him up for a ring run. Ronny Turiaf, also with the Warriors, has a smaller contract but he also gave up a chance to win rings for more money.

Ronny Turiaf probably won't admit it right now but he probably also regrets not staying with the Lakers.

There is a big difference between Turiaf and Maggette. Ronny is a role player who wasn't even sure to play any kind of minutes for the Lakers, Maggette would have played tons of minutes had he chosen the Spurs.

I am not even sure Ronny had a choice, he was a restricted free agent, the Warriors offered a relatively modest deal that wasn't matched by the lakers.

Dex
12-07-2008, 01:41 PM
"If it was any other way, I would've been here."

I love this statement because it makes it sounds like it was anybody's fault but Maggettes.

Douchebag. Have fun in Golden State. I like watching RMJ drain threeballs better anyways.

Guajalote
12-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Jason Kidd had the same choice, although his was much tougher considering the Nets had just come off of a near championship run. We were able to take that money and keep TP and Manu. Gee, ain't it funny how things work out?

RC's Boss
12-07-2008, 01:54 PM

I agree. Winning a ring may be nice, but that ring isn't going to keep you in the lifestyle you've become used to. 50 over 5?!?!?!?! I'd play in OKC over the Spurs. Yeah I'd lose every home game, but leave the parking lot in some "Bugatti-ish" type of Italian roadster!!!!!!

Thompson
12-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Stuff it.

I'd agree with that; I'd take less money since I already had more money than I'd ever spend and enjoy my time in the NBA on a good team with friends, winning championships. What's the difference between dying with $25 million in your bank account vs. $40 million? You can't take it with you. If you manage it well, your kids/grandkids/etc. will live well on either amount.

lefty
12-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Dear Corey,

Thank you

And fuck you

Allanon
12-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I agree. Winning a ring may be nice, but that ring isn't going to keep you in the lifestyle you've become used to. 50 over 5?!?!?!?! I'd play in OKC over the Spurs. Yeah I'd lose every home game, but leave the parking lot in some "Bugatti-ish" type of Italian roadster!!!!!!

He's been making "Bugatti-ish" money for years now. He doesn't NEED the extra money to keep up an extravagant lifestyle. He'd still be a baller even if he took the Spurs' money.

But again, there's nothing wrong with "Show me the money", and the priority is money.

If it were me and I had already made millions and would still be making millions, I'd go to a winning team for a little paycut.

Buddy Holly
12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
But Maggette is just kind of person who is money-first. Besides, Maggette is still pretty young so it's not time for him to dedicate money for a ring.

On principle, we can still sign him anyway at the same prize the warriors offered him if Spur's boss is willing to pay the Luxury Tax. but the money in his pocket is so little that he can't afford even one penney of Luxury tax.

First, stay in school and say nope to dope.

Second, any sensible thing I've read in that post is pure fucking stupid.

Third, STAY IN SCHOOL!

Buddy Holly
12-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Nope.

http://usversusthem.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/bowen.jpg

Ronaldo McDonald
12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
LOL @ people saying if they were in maggette's position, they would've taken less money.

It's irrelevent. Like Senor Spur said, or alluded to, they live in their own world, and people need to stop acting like they know what it's like.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Plus, everyone has different priorities. Obviously, he wants to be paid what he thinks he should be paid. Who the hell doesn't in this world? He's really not any different han anyone else. Some of you spurs fans need to quit being pussy hurt over his decision to sign with GS and just accept the fact that he did what probably 95% of people would have done. He's much more talented than 5.8 mil.

kcplayboi_26
12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
link????

duncan228
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
link????

Do you mean a link for the Maggette quote? It's in the first post.

Second thoughts? (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/07/SPSC14JDK5.DTL)

kcplayboi_26
12-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Do you mean a link for the Maggette quote? It's in the first post.

thx didnt see it, i wanna read the whole thing

duncan228
12-07-2008, 03:41 PM
More of this here (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111545).

San Antonio Spurs Team Report (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/notes.htm)

The Spurs wanted Corey Maggette last summer. Coach Gregg Popovich makes no bones about it. But they ended up with Roger Mason and couldn't be happier.

Saturday night, Maggette made his first visit to San Antonio since spurning a lucrative free agent offer from the Spurs in favor of a move up the coast to Golden State. When the former L.A. Clipper decided on the Warriors, the Spurs were on the phone with Mason.

"They were very clear I was their No. 1 option if they didn't get Corey," Mason said. "They made it known pretty early on they wanted me, but they wanted to see if they could get him first."

Though Mason was ready to leave Washington for a bigger role, he couldn't have imagined the responsibility thrust on him so soon in his Spurs tenure. With injuries to Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker earlier this season, Mason was a fixture in the starting lineup and flourished.

He has since returned to the bench, but he'll remain a valuable part of the rotation. He went into Saturday averaging 14.1 points and having made 46 3-pointers, good for third in the league.

Mason actually worked out for San Antonio the previous summer before re-signing with the Wizards.

"Every team has people on their radar screen where they say, 'If he's ever available, he's a guy we want to get,'" Popovich said. "He has been near the top of our list for a few years now."

But Maggette was at the very top. No sense in rewriting history.

"If Corey Maggette had accepted our offer," Popovich said, "Roger Mason wouldn't be here."

sexinthatsx
12-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Given Corey's situation (nearing 30 years old), it made perfect sense for the spurs to go after a prime player who wants to win a championship. While some of you guys contend that Corey made his decision based on the fact that he thought he had legitimate chance at a championship being on the warriors is BS. Obviously, when it boils down to it every player goes after what they value: glory or money (Tiago fuckin Splitter). Nevertheless, I still think that Corey would have helped A LOT on the spurs not because of his offensive ability, but moreso the ability to get to the foul line at will, set the tone and close out games.

wisnub
12-07-2008, 03:48 PM

I am happy with Mason..previously I said: is that all we can get?? but judging from how Mason and Hill played, and surprisingly the rise of garbage truck Matt Bonner into deadly weapon with red hair;make me believe in this team that Spurs is back on what they're supposed to be: Championship Material. I still looking forward to see Ian played...he should make Spurs better team.

But I hope Spurs owner is willing to commit more money for this team, I know smart spending is the way to go..but in order to get right star caliber player, one must spend more than the budget..that way championship can be locked for sure. Putting additional serious firepower WILL make a team INVINCIBLE. Boston did it and i think its about time that Spurs assured their championship with addition serious firepower which willing to increase his defense. Adding star caliber player is necessary, Boston is the example: one year they look extremely terrible and disgusting and the other year suddenly they become champion and destroying the opponent in NBA FInals. Coach is the same guy,but the players are totally different entirely (dont count scrubs). Whoever think Doc = genius coach is complete idiot, just check his record one year before Big 3 formed..players are the one who make a difference in this case: KG really boost everbodys morale,tellin people what to do and even Ray got pissed one time. Spurs is always an intelligent and well mannered team, i think it is ok to sometimes being a little bit loud and show some aggresiveness as long as they dont degrade themselves to the levels of thugs :flag:

Spurtacus
12-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Dear Corey,

Shame on you.

Sincerely,
Spurstalk

Taking it to the Hole
12-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Either way you slice it...no one can dispute that RMJ is having the best season of his career and CM is stinking it up in GS. I wanted Maggette here like a lot of people, but I knew he was a one dimensional player. RMJ is a threat to slash and score as well as popping the jumper.I would be willing to say that Roger Mason Jr. is the better player among the two.

Spurtacus
12-07-2008, 04:29 PM
trade Udoka for Maggette. And whatever else is needed to make the salaries match.

exstatic
12-07-2008, 04:41 PM

No he wouldn't have.

Sincerely,

The 2002-2003 Spurs

de Soto
12-07-2008, 04:49 PM
His decision was totally understandable. What kinda idiot would have passed the extra millions offered by GS. Get a grip folks!

exstatic
12-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Doesn't matter. He got his money, the Spurs got a better shooter and distributor. Win/win. If he has remorse, well, fuck him.

12-07-2008, 05:47 PM
i don't understand why people get mad at players who take more money. this wasn't just a "little" one or two million dollars more, it was almost 5 million dollars extra. shittt i would go to the middle of China to play basketball as a bench warmer if they offered me $10 million a year. this is the same for the splitter decision. you guys want the players to make the sacrifice so that your team can be a better. it's easy to blame him when you're not the one making the sacrifice. i doubt any of you would would refuse a $5 million raise.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Hindsights 20/20 ain't it CM? As I said when he signed with the Warriors, enjoy your money and swimming in mediocrity...although its a stretch to even call the Warriors mediocre at this point.

I'd enjoy 20 million more than being on the Spurs (who really arne't more than mediocre right now either)

exstatic
12-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd enjoy 20 million more than being on the Spurs (who really arne't more than mediocre right now either)

Surprising EPIC FAIL by Manny!!! Mediocre? Are you even watching?

angelbelow
12-07-2008, 07:09 PM
well for what its worth, i would still take maggette at 5 million for 2 years. obviously i dont regret mason but im just saying that maggette at 5 million would still be a sick ass deal.

Buddy Holly
12-07-2008, 07:15 PM
LOL at Bad Porn!!

ducks
12-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Contract year.

gs system does not fit him
no decent point guard right now

bobbybob0
12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
gs system does not fit him
no decent point guard right now

And Nelly makes him play PF when he's actually an oversized guard.

Ocotillo
12-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm not buying what he is saying, I think he is just throwing a statement out there out of respect for the Spurs and as a token PR gesture to the SA fans.

I don't think the statement is malicious, he's just trying to be nice in his own way.

It is very rare for guys his age to take less money to play for ring. You see that sort of humility at the end of a trophy-less career. i.e. Malone, Karl

superbigtime
12-07-2008, 08:27 PM
This is millions of dollars in salary difference we're talking here. More than people make in their entire lifetime. In the Bay area, no less. I don't blame him. I really wanted him to sign with SA at the time, but it looks like Mason is a better fit for now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Many folks talk about taking less money to win, but as far as I've seen only Manu, Tony and Tim have actually followed through on it (can you name any other NBA players who have?).

C'est la NBA, and c'est la Spurs. That's why I love our guys. :D

As for those who think that you have to take the money because it's there, check your heads. Really, what is the difference between 35mil and 50mil? Is that going to cripple the rest of his life, leaving that money on the table. No freakin way. This is just a sign of the ridiculous obsession that the world has about money - it is NOT the be all, it is a means to an end... and 35 vs 50 million don't mean shit.

ShoogarBear
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Many folks talk about taking less money to win, but as far as I've seen only Manu, Tony and Tim have actually followed through on it (can you name any other NBA players who have?).

Bruce.

I don't know that Tony has taken less money.

Also, Gilbert Arenas. :rolleyes

Slydragon
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM

D Rob and wasn't Tony gonna walk for some extra cash?

tmtcsc
12-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Fortunately for Maggette, he can cry himself to sleep over his decision in a big bag of money.

byrdman31
12-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Fortunately for Maggette, he can cry himself to sleep over his decision in a big bag of money.

true... i thought he would be a good addition to the team... i would of been pissed if he came now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah, Bruce and David too. But can you name a non-Spur? :lol

Tony definitely could have gotten more than his current contract elsewhere. IIRC, he had an offer of 70mil, but took 66mil to stay.

AFBlue
12-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah, Bruce and David too. But can you name a non-Spur? :lol

Tony definitely could have gotten more than his current contract elsewhere. IIRC, he had an offer of 70mil, but took 66mil to stay.

Didn't Karl Malone take like an $18M pay cut to join the Lakers in '04? I know he wasn't going to get tens of millions, but I'm pretty sure he took the vet min.

Funny thing is, he never got his ring. If Corey had taken millions less for a better shot at the championship there's no guarantee he would ever get it...so take the sure thing ($$$$).

homer
12-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Dear Corey,

with Love,

:toast BOO FRIGGIN HOO
Enjoy your millions. You will retire ringless. Spurs are better off without you.:hat

MarHill
12-07-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't have an issue with an athlete getting as much money as they can during their careers because they are short-lived.

The problem I have and Maggette goes along with it...is that most athletes say publicly I want to win and I would consider taking less money to play for a winner. And then go to the higest bidder!!

Be honest and tell the public I want to make as much as money I can during my career and if the biggest offer comes along...I will take it.

I would respect that athlete a lot more. At least...he was honest about what he wanted and what mattered to him.

Now, I wanted Maggette to come to the Spurs because of his ability to get to foul-line and consistently put up 20 points a game.

But, I'm extremely pleased with Roger Mason so far and he looks like he will be a better fit with the Spurs than Maggette.

Sometimes it is the moves that don't happen (Duncan not going to Orlando; Kidd not coming to SA) can help the team more instead of making a big FA move.

Lastly, that was nice for Maggette to say that publicly....but he made his decision and now he has to live with it!!!!

The Franchise
12-07-2008, 11:53 PM
No shit.

homer
12-08-2008, 12:33 AM
i don't understand why people get mad at players who take more money. this wasn't just a "little" one or two million dollars more, it was almost 5 million dollars extra. shittt i would go to the middle of China to play basketball as a bench warmer if they offered me $10 million a year. this is the same for the splitter decision. you guys want the players to make the sacrifice so that your team can be a better. it's easy to blame him when you're not the one making the sacrifice. i doubt any of you would would refuse a $5 million raise.

You don't understand because you think just like him. It's all about the money to you. CM is all about himself. He thought he could go there and be the super star and get a lot of wins. Look what has happened. His teamates don't like him, he's not a super star but a ball-hog, and he's not winning. He only says this because the Spurs made him and his team look like a high school JV team.
If given a choice between playing the game I love with two of my good friends, including the best PF in the game, a top 3 point guard and the reigning 6th man of the year, a coach and team I respect, a proven championship team and city, and a good chance of grabbing a starting role, and being happy for 5.8 million or............... doing what he's doing now for 10 million for the next five years, the choice is a no-brainer. Spurs all the way.
What don't you understand, except for the run-on sentence?
There is also the fact that most of us readers have no concept of how much a million dollars really is. I do think that most of us would agree that we could manage to survive on 5.8 million a year and would rather be happy than miserable. Some of those millionaires go nuts with their new found wealth instead of managing their money properly and end up in debt up to their eyeballs.:hat

Avitus1
12-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Hopes he keeps having fun in Oakland.

The Franchise
12-08-2008, 04:21 AM
I love it when I hear fans say they would turn down millions for a chance at a championship. You are some lying motherfuckers! You say that because the reality is you aren't being offered millions, so you don't have anything to put your false pretense up against. 99% of you would do a 180 if that type of finacial security was made tangible for you. Lying to others is a common practice. Lying to yourself is a little sociopathic so please don't do it. :p:

SmellyFeet
12-08-2008, 04:40 AM
I love it when I hear fans say they would turn down millions for a chance at a championship. You are some lying motherfuckers! You say that because the reality is you aren't being offered millions, so you don't have anything to put your false pretense up against. 99% of you would do a 180 if that type of finacial security was made tangible for you. Lying to others is a common practice. Lying to yourself is a little sociopathic so please don't do it. :p:

Great post. Most of us wouldn't't see a couple mil in our whole life's, this is beyond anything we can fathom really.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-08-2008, 04:54 AM

I agree with you. Saying that 35 mil is the same as 50 mil, or even remotely close is nonsense.15 mil is more money than we could even dream of getting our whole life.It's not like we offered him 35 mil and he went for 37. So, I can't blame him and it seems like it's a win/win situation.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Didn't Karl Malone take like an $18M pay cut to join the Lakers in '04? I know he wasn't going to get tens of millions, but I'm pretty sure he took the vet min.

Funny thing is, he never got his ring. If Corey had taken millions less for a better shot at the championship there's no guarantee he would ever get it...so take the sure thing ($$$$).

Yeah, Malone did at the end of his career, you're right.

Which totally misses the point. Your case is going from nothing to millions, which of course none of us would turn down, but we are talking about a guy who has already played 9 years in the league and already has 10s of millions of dollars making a choice about the best team for the rest of his useful career. At that point he has a choice to take max money and play for a poor team, or less money to maybe win it all. 5 Spurs players we have already named did the latter, admittedly giving up less money than Magette would have had to. Maggette and most other athletes choose the former, and that's their choice, but it doesn't mean that everyone would behave the same way.

Going by this thread, some of us would choose personal satisfaction over extra dollars that we could never spend anyway. If you can't see that you are a fool. News flash - not everyone centres their life purpose around maximising their income because there are other values by which to live a life.

It's a real pity that money has so perverted our societies that most people only ever think the way you do, or are forced to by circumstances once they've buried themselves in the (everything on debt) McMansion-SUV-plasma TV-keeping up with the Joneses-grass is greener illusion that surrounds us all. But then I really don't expect you to have a clue what I'm talking about.

hitmanyr2k
12-08-2008, 04:58 AM

You make it sound like Maggette is starting from scratch or something. That MF already has loot. You're telling me that if you had millions stowed away from wasting your career losing year after year with the Clippers that you wouldn't seriously think about taking a little paycut to play for a contender? If you're not putting yourself in a position for some kind of success then what the fuck are you playing for?

m33p0
12-08-2008, 07:40 AM
karl malone had to take a paycut, otherwise there was no way he was getting on the laker bus.

what's more relevant are players who either took a paycut or accepted smaller contracts to 'build' a contender. malone doesn't belong to that list. lakers were a contender with or without him.

JPB
12-08-2008, 08:22 AM

C'est la NBA, and c'est la Spurs. That's why I love our guys. :D

As for those who think that you have to take the money because it's there, check your heads. Really, what is the difference between 35mil and 50mil? Is that going to cripple the rest of his life, leaving that money on the table. No freakin way. This is just a sign of the ridiculous obsession that the world has about money - it is NOT the be all, it is a means to an end... and 35 vs 50 million don't mean shit.

Agreed.

Once you have more than you and your family need to live really really well for the rest of your life, it should allow you to consider what money can't bring you.

Kori Ellis
12-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Some guys don't play "to win it all." They play because they love basketball, or because they want to make as much money as possible. If a player wants to make as much money as he can, maybe it's to secure the future of himself, his kids and his kid's kids and so on. Maybe it's so he can give more to charity. Maybe it's so he can just spend it on cars and women. Who knows.

I just think it's funny that everyone thinks players should always turn down more money for a shot to play with the Spurs. It wasn't a little difference for Maggette. It was a huge difference - about $20 million. Maybe he wants to secure the future of his grandkids, who knows. The Spurs weren't even the favorite for a title going into this season or anything.

JPB
12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I wasn't necesseraly talking about the spurs, but in general.
It's clear that the majority of the players choose money over their career.

I'm not sure either that they don't regret it at some point of their career or life, when they look back at what they've lived or accomplished (for those who really like the game anyway).

It's their right to choose money but I don't think they're doing this for their children or grandchildren. They would have more than enough in any case and have to accomplish something in their life anyway other than living on Dad's or Grandad's money.

They're just doing it for the money and what it represents nowadays.

If you look at the coaches and people who are still involved in the Game today, that's people who had respect for the game in their player's career, earned consideration and respect from other people, made solid relationships not based on money which will last their whole life.
And they're still making good money after that player's career.

Brazil
12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
The guy will be crazy to accept the spurs proposal over GS. We are not talking about 10% less but about 40% less !

Let's imagine you on the same situation you have a decent job and you have good results, your value market is up : a company is offering you 40% more than a well established company with the same kind of contract, what do you do honestly ?

Ok he won't win titles with GS but in counterpart he has a better contract, the possibility to be the franchise player and a good challenge in front of him to help GS to grow.

mrspurs
12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I cant believe yall are still rambling on Cory and money. hahahahaha.....Wait yes I can.

SpursIndonesia
12-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Nothing's guaranteed regarding championship, while 40% more money is written in letter. There are quite few retired NBA players who has gone bankrupt, while having millions in the bank before hand, i think Magette realizes that well. You guys think that it's monompoly money that we're talking about, well, life's hard and could be unforgiving with just one mistake financially, so 20 mil of more security is pretty much a logical way to go in his case.

spurspokesman
12-08-2008, 12:56 PM

We don't need him. We just need a few good men (mason-hill) and a big besides duncan that can spell rebound and well be able to make some noise as usual

VaSpursFan
12-08-2008, 12:59 PM
everything worked out in the end. cory got his money and we have the player that our system needed. mason is a much better fit than c. magg anyway. c. magg can get to the foul line but mason spreads the d for us, is a better passer and is a helluva shooter off the dribble.

Dex
12-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't blame him for taking the money. I think that was pretty much common sense.

I just think it's funny for him to come back later, 15 millions dollar richer, and give the "if things had been different" excuse just because you just got your ass handed to you.

Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but that also seems a little unfair to the locker room that he chose to be in. How much support do you think his teammates feel about that statement?

It's funny to hear on our side, but it's probably one of those cases where he would've been better keeping his mouth shut.

The Franchise
12-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, Malone did at the end of his career, you're right.

Which totally misses the point. Your case is going from nothing to millions, which of course none of us would turn down, but we are talking about a guy who has already played 9 years in the league and already has 10s of millions of dollars making a choice about the best team for the rest of his useful career. At that point he has a choice to take max money and play for a poor team, or less money to maybe win it all. 5 Spurs players we have already named did the latter, admittedly giving up less money than Magette would have had to. Maggette and most other athletes choose the former, and that's their choice, but it doesn't mean that everyone would behave the same way.

Going by this thread, some of us would choose personal satisfaction over extra dollars that we could never spend anyway. If you can't see that you are a fool. News flash - not everyone centres their life purpose around maximising their income because there are other values by which to live a life.

It's a real pity that money has so perverted our societies that most people only ever think the way you do, or are forced to by circumstances once they've buried themselves in the (everything on debt) McMansion-SUV-plasma TV-keeping up with the Joneses-grass is greener illusion that surrounds us all. But then I really don't expect you to have a clue what I'm talking about. You speak so definitively about a situation of which you have no experience of living under. How can you say how much money is enough when your situation is totally different? Your point that there are other values by which to live a life is a relative one. You live your life by the values you choose because your circumstances dictate those values. To say that your outlook would not be a little different if you lived your entire adult life under wealth and privilege is a little hard to swallow. I do think that you believe in different values as you stated. I also think that if your circumstances were changed your values would be different as well.

King
12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
A ring is nice and all, but how many ex-players have ended up selling their trophies/rings because the well has dried up?

In 20 years, being a role player on a possible championship team is a nice story to tell - but being able to support yourself is nicer.

How many of you would turn down a much higher paying job in your field, at a still good company - for a lesser paying job, where the company is a bit better?

Tully365
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Despite playing nearly double the minutes per game, Maggette averages fewer assists than Oberto.

Dex
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I wonder if Charles Barkley would've given up 15 million for a championship.

Or John Stockton...

Or Karl Malone...

Or Reggie Miller...

Or....

The Franchise
12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I wonder if Charles Barkley would've given up 15 million for a championship.

Or John Stockton...

Or Karl Malone...

Or Reggie Miller...

Or....

I'd guess no. :lol Well Karl Malone tried and failed.

rascal
12-08-2008, 02:06 PM

Stuff it.

Agree. How many millions do you greedy bastards need to live on?

m33p0
12-08-2008, 02:53 PM
funny how Magette and the Spurs wanted the same thing... Money. :lol

Bruno
12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
We will never know if Maggette would have been good in SA. The only sure thing is that Mason has been very good so far and he has a short contract which allow Spurs to try to get some big FAs in 2010.

Maggette choose the money over a shot at a title. It's his choice and I don't see how I can judge him for that.

Fingaroll44
12-08-2008, 04:13 PM

lol...u mean his bed pillow?

Fingaroll44
12-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Nothing's guaranteed regarding championship, while 40% more money is written in letter. There are quite few retired NBA players who has gone bankrupt, while having millions in the bank before hand, i think Magette realizes that well. You guys think that it's monompoly money that we're talking about, well, life's hard and could be unforgiving with just one mistake financially, so 20 mil of more security is pretty much a logical way to go in his case.

aww boo hoo.... a fool and his money are soon parted....no matter how little or great said money may be

Kori Ellis
12-08-2008, 04:25 PM

Manu didn't take less money. He wasn't made an offer by Denver. Tony didn't take less money.

Tim and Bruce took less money. Barry took less money.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Its pretty damn retarded to say that only Spurs take less money to win. If you don't know of other players doing it its probably because you don't follow other teams. Arenas just did it in the off season, just to name one..

jayc23
12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Exactly. They don't have to live in real life. The rest of us do.

They put themselves through alot for our entertainment... I feel some pro athletes make way too much money ... but it is a very stressful, physically, mentally demanding business, where you have to deal with public scrutiny all the time

JPB
12-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Magette :

9 years in NBA, one playoffs appearence (12 games). And probably no postseason this year.

But Eh ! he got the money. Woohoo !