PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Warriors Dec. 6

timvp
12-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Following their blowout victory over the Denver Nuggets on Thursday night, the San Antonio Spurs hoped to extend their winning ways on Saturday in the AT&T Center. With a 123-88 win against the Golden State Warriors, the Spurs easily accomplished their goal.

The key to the game for the Spurs was that the players showed up to the arena on time. Shortly after the jump ball was tossed into the air, the game was over. San Antonio led by 16 points at the half and by 37 going into the final stanza. Twelve minutes of garbage time later, the Spurs could officially chalk up the W.

The Warriors, to put it bluntly, were absolutely horrible. Their defense was about as bad as defense has ever been played on the NBA level. Golden State’s offense consisted of five ball hogs all looking for their own shot. The fact that the Warriors are in the midst of a nine-game losing streak is no surprise and the reasons are plain to see.

Overall, the only thing the Spurs can really take from this game is their defense. Holding the high-scoring Warriors to 88 is a good feat, especially considering the fast pace of the game. Offensively, a team of five Jacque Vaughns could put up 100 points against the Warriors right now, so the 123 actually wasn’t overly impressive.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
20 minutes, 20 points, 13 rebounds, five assists
7-for-10 from the field, 6-for-9 at the line

Talk about stunning efficiency. Tim Duncan put up one of the best stat lines you’ll ever see for a player who only played 20 minutes. On offense, he scored with ease – whether in a pick-and-roll or in an isolation play. He dominated the smallish Warriors on the glass and he got most of his assists by finding wide open teammates. On defense, he did a great job hustling back in the transition and not giving up any easy buckets. After going six straight games without registering an outing with at least 20 points and at least 10 rebounds, Duncan has now had three straight 20-10 games.
-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
22 minutes, nine points, seven assists, three rebounds
3-for-7 from the field, 1-for-5 on three-pointers

Manu Ginobili had a relatively easy night. He basically either handed out an assist or shot a three-pointer. With all the holes in Golden State’s defense, Ginobili had no problems racking up as many assists as he wanted. Physically, he looked to be moving well – which is especially good to see since he’s coming off of his first 30-minute game of the season. His ankle injury last year in the playoffs robbed him of his ability to finish the ball and this year so far he’s hitting more than 80% of his shots at or near the rim, so things are looking good as far as his recovery is concerned.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
20 minutes, 17 points, eight assists
8-for-14 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

Like Duncan, Parker got a full night’s worth of work in despite only playing 20 minutes. A game after having seven turnovers, Parker bounced back with a zero turnover performance. On the whole, Parker was aggressive and shredded Golden State. He got the Spurs off to a good start and the team never looked back. Parker had a few impressive moves in the paint that suggest he’s nearing 100% health following his ankle sprain.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
21 minutes, 17 points, three rebounds
7-for-10 from the field, 3-for-4 on three-pointers

Michael Finley once again played quite well in his role as the fifth option in the starting lineup. He drained the open shots he had and he even drove the lane a couple of times. Defensively he did a decent job, although he gave Stephen Jackson a few open looks early on in the game. If Finley can average double figures, the Spurs are going to actually be a good offensive team this year. The best news, however, is it appears the Spurs won’t have to depend on his offense, as has been the case in the last few seasons.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
19 minutes, 14 points, six rebounds
6-for-9 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner is starting to look like a legitimate NBA starter. His chemistry with the Big Three is improving, especially with Duncan. Bonner is moving to the open spots and being aggressive once he gets the ball. Perhaps most important of all is that Bonner is rebounding the ball. In the last three games, all of which he started, Bonner is averaging eight rebounds in 24.3 minutes per game. If he can rebound even 80% as well the rest of the way, that will be more than good enough.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
32 minutes, 10 points, five assists, three rebounds, two blocks
3-for-9 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers, 2-for-4 at the line

George Hill led the Spurs in minutes and did a respectable job all the way around. He wasn’t hitting his shots at a good clip but he passed well, fought for rebounds and even came away with two blocked shots. To be fair to his field goal percentage, a few of his looks in the fourth quarter were hurried shots at the end of the shot clock when the Spurs were salting the game away. It was far from Hill’s best game but his activity level was good and he played hard defensively.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
24 minutes, 12 points, six rebounds, two assists
3-for-5 from the field, 6-for-8 at the line

The Warriors set the stage for Fabricio Oberto’s 2008-09 coming out party. His 12 points were double his previous season-high. His eight free throw attempts matched the number of free throw attempts he had all season coming into the game. His three field goals made and three field goals attempted both matched season-highs. And perhaps best of all, Oberto’s six rebounds were the second time all season that he’s had more than five rebounds. Hopefully this outing gets Oberto rolling, however it was most likely due to the porous defense he went up against.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
20 minutes, five points, six rebounds
2-for-4 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

A game after getting a DNP due to the flu, Ime Udoka got healthy quickly against the Warriors. He was solid offensively and did a fine job on the boards. His perimeter defense even looked good – an aspect of his game that has been slow to come around this season. Udoka has been struggling to shoot this season but he seems to have found his stroke. Over his last five games, he’s shooting 57.1% from the field.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
18 minutes, 10 points, three turnovers
4-for-7 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers

The new role for Roger Mason, Jr. is to come off the bench and supply offense right away. He did just that against the Warriors, bouncing back from a poor shooting night against the Nuggets. Mason also played good defense and made a few nice passes off the dribble. The aspect Mason needs to work on the most right now is his turnovers. While his average of 1.8 per night isn’t horrible, it’s double what he averaged last season.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
18 minutes, six points, seven rebounds
3-for-6 from the field

Kurt Thomas didn’t have much meaningful playing time on the night but his per minute production was notable. His jumper is looking good and he has done a better and better job this season in regards to rebounding the ball. Overall, he’s now averaging 11.1 rebounds per 40 minutes, which is very respectable. Thomas has also hit 11 of his last 18 field goal attempts over the span of his last five games.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
13 minutes, three points
1-for-2 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Bruce Bowen did some nice work on the defensive end. Early on, whenever a player got even a little hot, Bowen took over the defensive assignment. Once the game got out of hand, Bowen got a view of the action from the bench. On the season, Bowen is now averaging only 22.7 minutes per game – easily the lowest number of minutes per game in his Spurs career. Coincidentally, he’s now averaging 22.7 minutes in the nine games he has started and 22.7 minutes in the ten games he has come off the bench.

Jacque Vaughn
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3195.jpg
12 minutes, three assists
0-for-2 from the field

Jacque Vaughn directed traffic for the entire fourth quarter. The most memorable part of his play was a classic Vaughn sequence. With the Spurs up 40, Vaughn was pressuring the ball, tipped it away and then dove on the ground to try to secure the loose ball. Gotta love that type of hustle Vaughn always brings to the court – no matter the score.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Pop might not have an easier coaching game than the one he had on Saturday night. Every play he drew up worked to perfection. It didn’t matter what player rotation he used because the Spurs were getting wide open shots regardless. The only quibble I had with Pop was the fact that he didn’t put Mason into the game until about one minute to go in the first quarter. Going forward, Mason is too important to not play sooner in the ballgame.

Offense

The offensive numbers for the game look fantastic. The Spurs shot 55.3% from the floor, hit 12-of-26 three-pointers and got to the line 24 times. Most impressive, San Antonio had a season-high 35 assists on their 47 made baskets. Even though Golden State’s defense was abysmal, the Spurs got in a quality practice that could hopefully pay off some chemistry and ball movement dividends down the road.

Defense

The defense was the most impressive part of the night for the Spurs. They held the Warriors to 37.3% shooting from the field and allowed them to fire only ten three-pointers. The only reason the Warriors scored as much as they did was due to their 28 free throw attempts. While that number is high, it’s less than the 31 free throw attempts the Warriors average. Rebounding-wise, the Spurs once again outrebounded their opponent – this time racking up a season-high 50 boards compared to 43 for Golden State.

Drive to Five

Although that was a fun win, the Spurs need to forget about the Warriors game ASAP. They aren’t going to play a team that bad defensively for the rest of the season. However, it might be a good idea to steal the Warriors uniforms for Tuesday night’s matchup against the Dallas Mavericks. A win on the road against Dallas, a team that has won nine of their last ten games, would verify that the Spurs are on the right path.

Believe.

silverblackfan
12-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Another excellent analysis, timvp. I just joined the forum, but have been 'lurking' for a while. Your recaps are some of the best I have seen. This forum really helps my long time Spurs addiction (since Iceman) when a game is not on.

Manu-of-steel
12-07-2008, 09:09 AM
thanks timvp. hope oberto continue doing what he has done in this game-we will need him to play better for us to contend with the lakers/blazers/celtics etc.

urunobili
12-07-2008, 09:27 AM
thanks as always timvp!

byrontx
12-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I did not get to watch the game so I was looking forward to your recap. Thanks again.

benefactor
12-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Even though Golden State’s defense was abysmal, the Spurs got in a quality practice that could hopefully pay off some chemistry and ball movement dividends down the road.
Yeah, that's about how it felt to me too. It was almost like scrimmaging with an NCAA team. W's like this are a welcome sight, especially with minimum minutes from the big three and a back to back upcoming.

Bruno
12-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Aside of Spurs playing great, Warriors being awful is a good news for Spurs.
Spurs have Warriors' 2009 second round pick and if they continue to suck, it could end up in the 32th-35th range. In a year where Spurs don't have a first round pick, a high second round pick could be really useful.

T Park
12-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Jacque Vaughn directed traffic for the entire fourth quarter. The most memorable part of his play was a classic Vaughn sequence. With the Spurs up 40, Vaughn was pressuring the ball, tipped it away and then dove on the ground to try to secure the loose ball. Gotta love that type of hustle Vaughn always brings to the court – no matter the score.

Which is why I like him still being on this team.
He sets examples, and thats what veteran leaders on a younger team such as this are supposed to do.

I must admit, I didn't watch the game too much while at it last night. A little more interested in the person to my right :lol

ceperez
12-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the excellent summary.

I look forward to it after every game.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Screw the mavs. We are going to stomp them.

sonic21
12-07-2008, 12:17 PM
:tu thanks

td4mvp21
12-07-2008, 01:15 PM
So is Bonner and Finley starting a legit thing? It still seems kind of fluky to me in terms of defense at least. I'm not sure if that will work against the good teams of the league. I still want Bowen in there.

BWS-1994
12-07-2008, 01:30 PM
:tu great summary as always.

Hoping that Oberto, Thomas, Bonner play like this more often.

RC's Boss
12-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Following their blowout victory over the Denver Nuggets on Thursday night, the San Antonio Spurs hoped to extend their winning ways on Saturday in the AT&T Center. With a 123-88 win against the Golden State Warriors, the Spurs easily accomplished their goal.

The key to the game for the Spurs was that the players showed up to the arena on time. Shortly after the jump ball was tossed into the air, the game was over. San Antonio led by 16 points at the half and by 37 going into the final stanza. Twelve minutes of garbage time later, the Spurs could officially chalk up the W.

The Warriors, to put it bluntly, were absolutely horrible. Their defense was about as bad as defense has ever been played on the NBA level. Golden State’s offense consisted of five ball hogs all looking for their own shot. The fact that the Warriors are in the midst of a nine-game losing streak is no surprise and the reasons are plain to see.

Overall, the only thing the Spurs can really take from this game is their defense. Holding the high-scoring Warriors to 88 is a good feat, especially considering the fast pace of the game. Offensively, a team of five Jacque Vaughns could put up 100 points against the Warriors right now, so the 123 actually wasn’t overly impressive.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
20 minutes, 20 points, 13 rebounds, five assists
7-for-10 from the field, 6-for-9 at the line

Talk about stunning efficiency. Tim Duncan put up one of the best stat lines you’ll ever see for a player who only played 20 minutes. On offense, he scored with ease – whether in a pick-and-roll or in an isolation play. He dominated the smallish Warriors on the glass and he got most of his assists by finding wide open teammates. On defense, he did a great job hustling back in the transition and not giving up any easy buckets. After going six straight games without registering an outing with at least 20 points and at least 10 rebounds, Duncan has now had three straight 20-10 games.

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
22 minutes, nine points, seven assists, three rebounds
3-for-7 from the field, 1-for-5 on three-pointers

Manu Ginobili had a relatively easy night. He basically either handed out an assist or shot a three-pointer. With all the holes in Golden State’s defense, Ginobili had no problems racking up as many assists as he wanted. Physically, he looked to be moving well – which is especially good to see since he’s coming off of his first 30-minute game of the season. His ankle injury last year in the playoffs robbed him of his ability to finish the ball and this year so far he’s hitting more than 80% of his shots at or near the rim, so things are looking good as far as his recovery is concerned.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
20 minutes, 17 points, eight assists
8-for-14 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

Like Duncan, Parker got a full night’s worth of work in despite only playing 20 minutes. A game after having seven turnovers, Parker bounced back with a zero turnover performance. On the whole, Parker was aggressive and shredded Golden State. He got the Spurs off to a good start and the team never looked back. Parker had a few impressive moves in the paint that suggest he’s nearing 100% health following his ankle sprain.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg
21 minutes, 17 points, three rebounds
7-for-10 from the field, 3-for-4 on three-pointers

Michael Finley once again played quite well in his role as the fifth option in the starting lineup. He drained the open shots he had and he even drove the lane a couple of times. Defensively he did a decent job, although he gave Stephen Jackson a few open looks early on in the game. If Finley can average double figures, the Spurs are going to actually be a good offensive team this year. The best news, however, is it appears the Spurs won’t have to depend on his offense, as has been the case in the last few seasons.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
19 minutes, 14 points, six rebounds
6-for-9 from the field, 1-for-4 on three-pointers

Matt Bonner is starting to look like a legitimate NBA starter. His chemistry with the Big Three is improving, especially with Duncan. Bonner is moving to the open spots and being aggressive once he gets the ball. Perhaps most important of all is that Bonner is rebounding the ball. In the last three games, all of which he started, Bonner is averaging eight rebounds in 24.3 minutes per game. If he can rebound even 80% as well the rest of the way, that will be more than good enough.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
32 minutes, 10 points, five assists, three rebounds, two blocks
3-for-9 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers, 2-for-4 at the line

George Hill led the Spurs in minutes and did a respectable job all the way around. He wasn’t hitting his shots at a good clip but he passed well, fought for rebounds and even came away with two blocked shots. To be fair to his field goal percentage, a few of his looks in the fourth quarter were hurried shots at the end of the shot clock when the Spurs were salting the game away. It was far from Hill’s best game but his activity level was good and he played hard defensively.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg
24 minutes, 12 points, six rebounds, two assists
3-for-5 from the field, 6-for-8 at the line

The Warriors set the stage for Fabricio Oberto’s 2008-09 coming out party. His 12 points were double his previous season-high. His eight free throw attempts matched the number of free throw attempts he had all season coming into the game. His three field goals made and three field goals attempted both matched season-highs. And perhaps best of all, Oberto’s six rebounds were the second time all season that he’s had more than five rebounds. Hopefully this outing gets Oberto rolling, however it was most likely due to the porous defense he went up against.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg
20 minutes, five points, six rebounds
2-for-4 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

A game after getting a DNP due to the flu, Ime Udoka got healthy quickly against the Warriors. He was solid offensively and did a fine job on the boards. His perimeter defense even looked good – an aspect of his game that has been slow to come around this season. Udoka has been struggling to shoot this season but he seems to have found his stroke. Over his last five games, he’s shooting 57.1% from the field.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
18 minutes, 10 points, three turnovers
4-for-7 from the field, 2-for-4 on three-pointers

The new role for Roger Mason, Jr. is to come off the bench and supply offense right away. He did just that against the Warriors, bouncing back from a poor shooting night against the Nuggets. Mason also played good defense and made a few nice passes off the dribble. The aspect Mason needs to work on the most right now is his turnovers. While his average of 1.8 per night isn’t horrible, it’s double what he averaged last season.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg
18 minutes, six points, seven rebounds
3-for-6 from the field

Kurt Thomas didn’t have much meaningful playing time on the night but his per minute production was notable. His jumper is looking good and he has done a better and better job this season in regards to rebounding the ball. Overall, he’s now averaging 11.1 rebounds per 40 minutes, which is very respectable. Thomas has also hit 11 of his last 18 field goal attempts over the span of his last five games.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg
13 minutes, three points
1-for-2 from the field, 1-for-2 on three-pointers

Bruce Bowen did some nice work on the defensive end. Early on, whenever a player got even a little hot, Bowen took over the defensive assignment. Once the game got out of hand, Bowen got a view of the action from the bench. On the season, Bowen is now averaging only 22.7 minutes per game – easily the lowest number of minutes per game in his Spurs career. Coincidentally, he’s now averaging 22.7 minutes in the nine games he has started and 22.7 minutes in the ten games he has come off the bench.

Jacque Vaughn
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3195.jpg
12 minutes, three assists
0-for-2 from the field

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Pop might not have an easier coaching game than the one he had on Saturday night. Every play he drew up worked to perfection. It didn’t matter what player rotation he used because the Spurs were getting wide open shots regardless. The only quibble I had with Pop was the fact that he didn’t put Mason into the game until about one minute to go in the first quarter. Going forward, Mason is too important to not play sooner in the ballgame.

Offense

The offensive numbers for the game look fantastic. The Spurs shot 55.3% from the floor, hit 12-of-26 three-pointers and got to the line 24 times. Most impressive, San Antonio had a season-high 35 assists on their 47 made baskets. Even though Golden State’s defense was abysmal, the Spurs got in a quality practice that could hopefully pay off some chemistry and ball movement dividends down the road.

Defense

The defense was the most impressive part of the night for the Spurs. They held the Warriors to 37.3% shooting from the field and allowed them to fire only ten three-pointers. The only reason the Warriors scored as much as they did was due to their 28 free throw attempts. While that number is high, it’s less than the 31 free throw attempts the Warriors average. Rebounding-wise, the Spurs once again outrebounded their opponent – this time racking up a season-high 50 boards compared to 43 for Golden State.

Drive to Five

Although that was a fun win, the Spurs need to forget about the Warriors game ASAP. They aren’t going to play a team that bad defensively for the rest of the season. However, it might be a good idea to steal the Warriors uniforms for Tuesday night’s matchup against the Dallas Mavericks. A win on the road against Dallas, a team that has won nine of their last ten games, would verify that the Spurs are on the right path.

Believe.

Is it me, or does most of the team look high as a kite??????? Especially, Tony, Tim, Finley, & Mason. They look as if they just came down from the hills in Jamaica where the real rasta dreadheads dwell! Mi tink dem smokin pon di spliff mon!!!!

Darkwaters
12-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Duncan - What can you say about this game? Too easy. But Timmy showed good rebounding numbers for his minutes played and got a breather.

Tony - He was absolutely shredding the Warriors D while he was in there. I agree that it looks like hes recovered quite well from the surgery. Should be fun going forward.

Manu - Is it just me or was Manu's craftiness on full display last night? I saw so many fakes and jukes that I missed while he was out with injury. The snazzy passing display was probably a contributing factor to me thinking this. He had 4 assists in the first 4 minutes (and would have had 5 if Duncan hadn't blown a wide open dunk). Manu was a one-man circus.

Finley - After a slow start he really came around. I liked seeing him score in a few ways other than just the deep ball. But knocking down your trade-mark shot a few times goes a long way to solidifying confidence.

Bonner - I was a fan of his play tonight. While a lot of his points came once the game was out of hand it's hard to fault him for that since the game was pretty much out of hand after 3 or 4 minutes.

George - Tough night shooting, but I liked most everything else. He grabbed a nice number of rebounds, had several assists and 2 blocks. The first one was pretty awesome. Personally, I thought it was funny that he was matched up on CJ Watson tonight. Remembering the "Spurs have interest in Watson" rumors from SL two years ago I'm relieved at our eventual choice in backup PGs.

Mason - I thought it was weird too that Roger didn't play until the first was nearly through. Although, it was probably a result of the game just being out of hand early on. And besides, Manu was absolutely destroying the defense with his passing. When Gino is going off like that I'd rather Roger stay on the bench until Manu cools off. It was nice to see Mason have a better shooting night though. And 2-4 from 3 should help his 3 point numbers league wide.

Bowen - Not much to say. When the opponent is shooting in the mid 30 percentiles theres little need for Bruce. A nice game off for him.

Fabs - I completely liked what I saw. He basically improved in every statistical category tonight - but the boards were the most important. There will be nights when he scores, and many more nights when he doesn't. I also got a good look at some nice passing by Oberto tonight too, but most of the would-be assists weren't realized in full by the benefactor of the pass.

Thomas - He suffered from the same problem as Bonner. It's hard to take much away from his game because garbage time started about halfway through the first quarter. Hence, Kurt didn't see any significant time. But his rebounding was nice and he hit some jumpers that should be there in non-scrimmages.

Ime - Mr. Udoka got a lot of burn late in the game and hit a couple of nice shots. He really likes to fake the 3 and step right inside the outside arc and fire away. And when he actually makes a one or two 3 pointers it's easier to sell. It was nice to see him knock down one of each shots tonight. Rebounding was nice too.

Jacque - Not much to say. Only Vaughn would be able to take a wide-open Warriors D and be unable to score against it. Still, I liked his leadership and aggressiveness even in a 40 point lead.

wildbill2u
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
While the GS Warriors may not be a great test, there is something developing that I really like with this team.

1. Note that we had seven players in double figures--and Manu wasn't one of them (9 pts).

2. Pop is playing a lot of players, in fact you could easily call his rotations a two-platoon system. That eases the strain of too many minutes on our older players, gives valuable experience to our role players, and really pressures the defense of opposing teams that use the more traditional 5 man plus 1-3 off the bench rotations.

3. The result of being able to use a lot of players interchangeably is that we are likely to run some teams with less depth off the court on offense while our players can stay fresh for the traditional aggressive Spurs defense.

This looks like a good mix of young and old players so far.

xellos88330
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
George Hill needs to put just a little bit more work on his jumper after the screen. When that shot starts falling, Hills' penetration should be much crisper and could possibly provide the fans with some pretty incredible plays.

Darkwaters
12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
While the GS Warriors may not be a great test, there is something developing that I really like with this team.

1. Note that we had seven players in double figures--and Manu wasn't one of them (9 pts).

2. Pop is playing a lot of players, in fact you could easily call his rotations a two-platoon system. That eases the strain of too many minutes on our older players, gives valuable experience to our role players, and really pressures the defense of opposing teams that use the more traditional 5 man plus 1-3 off the bench rotations.

3. The result of being able to use a lot of players interchangeably is that we are likely to run some teams with less depth off the court on offense while our players can stay fresh for the traditional aggressive Spurs defense.

This looks like a good mix of young and old players so far.

Agreed. When the most prevalent roster argument is trading away your 4th string PG and/or waiving your 5th string PG then you've done a pretty good job.

timvp
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I just joined the forum, but have been 'lurking' for a while.Welcome to the forum :tu

Aside of Spurs playing great, Warriors being awful is a good news for Spurs.
Spurs have Warriors' 2009 second round pick and if they continue to suck, it could end up in the 32th-35th range. In a year where Spurs don't have a first round pick, a high second round pick could be really useful.Good point. I hadn't thought about that.

However, this is a typical Nellie move. Have his team play horrible for a stretch without much coaching help and then eventually start tightening the screws. I expect the Warriors to be much better by the next time the Spurs play them ... but hopefully they continue playing bad enough that the pick is low.

Screw the mavs. We are going to stomp them.Who guards Dirk though? Bonner didn't do too well last time. Maybe Oberto?

I'd actually like to see Tolliver called up for that game because he very well could be the best option on Dirk.

So is Bonner and Finley starting a legit thing?I'm not totally comfortable with it yet either but it looks like it has a chance to work. Keeping Finley in the starting lineup probably helps Pop because then he's forced to keep him part of the action instead of getting lost on the bench. Plus Finley usually plays better when he starts (although that wasn't the case last year).

Bonner has been playing pretty damn good but I still need to see more before I'm confident it's not a fluke.

Personally, I thought it was funny that he was matched up on CJ Watson tonight. Remembering the "Spurs have interest in Watson" rumors from SL two years ago I'm relieved at our eventual choice in backup PGs. Yeah, I thought about that, too. Props to Watson for making the league but I'm glad it wasn't with the Spurs. He can score and defend but his basketball IQ is low and he can't pass to save his life.

The result of being able to use a lot of players interchangeably is that we are likely to run some teams with less depth off the court on offense while our players can stay fresh for the traditional aggressive Spurs defense. That'd be nice if it works out that way. Pop talks about setting a rotation but I don't really believe him. He'll probably use a 11 or 12 man rotation for as long as it works. Heck, in the 2007 playoffs, he used a 10 man rotation for the whole playoff run -- which is unheard of.

timvp
12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
One thing I forgot to mention in the original post was Matt Bonner's defense. That's a glaring omission considering his ownage of Maggette. He fought Maggette from getting deep position and then when Maggette got the ball, Bonner stayed in front of him. Granted Maggette doesn't look to be at 100% but it was a fantastic defensive effort by Bonner.

Overall I think Bonner's athleticism is a bit underrated. He moves his feet very well for a player his size. For a bigman, he's pretty fast up and down the court. And he actually jumps pretty well and can get off the court quickly. The thing that limits him the most in terms of his athleticism are his T-Rex arms. He has to do everything a little bit better because his arms are so short. He's kinda like the pale Kevin Willis in that regard :smokin

Oh and don't forget Bonner has a slam dunk championship under his belt. Not on the NBA level but a slam dunk championship nonetheless . . .

Bender
12-07-2008, 03:42 PM
He loves his feet very well for a player his size.
and he moves his feet pretty good too!

j/k... :lol

timvp
12-07-2008, 03:43 PM
and he moves his feet pretty good too!

j/k... :lol

:lol Been reading too many KBP posts.

Bender
12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
one thing I've noticed lately (maybe last couple of games) is that both Mason and Hill seem to be screwing up their ball handling sometimes... I mean, they may be dribbling around all by their lonesomes, and they kind of lose the ball for a second.

edit: did I see Tim flub a dunk last night?

td4mvp21
12-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not totally comfortable with it yet either but it looks like it has a chance to work. Keeping Finley in the starting lineup probably helps Pop because then he's forced to keep him part of the action instead of getting lost on the bench. Plus Finley usually plays better when he starts (although that wasn't the case last year).

Bonner has been playing pretty damn good but I still need to see more before I'm confident it's not a fluke.
As long as the defense stays excellent I'm ok with Bonner and Finley starting I guess. I'm guessing Pop will have to start Bowen against teams like the Lakers and Celts, or at least I would think so.

I hope Pop doesn't spaz out against the Mavs on Tuesday trying to defend Dirk.

The Truth #6
12-07-2008, 04:35 PM
At first I didn't think Manu should be in the starting lineup because there would be a better use of his skills coming off the bench so he could initiate the offense in Tony's absence.

Now, I'm wondering if playing him alongside Tony gives the benefit of actually resting him more in that he doesn't have to handle the ball as much and can spot up for open shots. In other words his time on the court isn't as demanding because Tony is the one initiating/driving into the lane, and Manu can be more of a spot up shooter than he normally does. That's not to say he doesn't pick his moments but he doesn't have to be as dominant and put as much stress on his body. Just a thought.

Manufan909
12-07-2008, 06:15 PM
At first I didn't think Manu should be in the starting lineup because there would be a better use of his skills coming off the bench so he could initiate the offense in Tony's absence.

Now, I'm wondering if playing him alongside Tony gives the benefit of actually resting him more in that he doesn't have to handle the ball as much and can spot up for open shots. In other words his time on the court isn't as demanding because Tony is the one initiating/driving into the lane, and Manu can be more of a spot up shooter than he normally does. That's not to say he doesn't pick his moments but he doesn't have to be as dominant and put as much stress on his body. Just a thought.

And a good one at that.:toast

exstatic
12-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I think Maggette's inability to either bully or blow by Bonner basically forced Nellie to play Turiaf and Biedrens together for stretches, a very un-Nellie like front line.

Manufan909
12-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I think Maggette's inability to either bully or blow by Bonner basically forced Nellie to play Turiaf and Biedrens together for stretches, a very un-Nellie like front line.

I wouldn't mind taking Biedrens off his hands, Matt is more of his type of big man anyways.

Having said that, I've never really followed Biedrens, are his stats just inflated by being the lone big on the Warriors, or is he actually a good player?

Darkwaters
12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't mind taking Biedrens off his hands, Matt is more of his type of big man anyways.

Having said that, I've never really followed Biedrens, are his stats just inflated by being the lone big on the Warriors, or is he actually a good player?

Biedrins is decent. He can be a fouling machine at times, but I've generally liked him.

exstatic
12-07-2008, 06:45 PM
He's a garbageman, cutting to the hoop or cleaning the offensive glass. He has zero jumpshot and zero post moves.

Manufan909
12-07-2008, 06:53 PM
He's a garbageman, cutting to the hoop or cleaning the offensive glass. He has zero jumpshot and zero post moves.

As opposed to Fab awe-inspiring post moves?:downspin:

I see him as a nice shot blocker and rebounder next to Timmy. Ian may be alot better than him one day, but he still needs to make the damn court.

#2!
12-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by td4mvp21 http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2947987#post2947987)
So is Bonner and Finley starting a legit thing?

With the entire big 3 starting the game you need the other 2 guys on the floor to be legit 3 point shooters, so loolking at the lineup there doesn't seem to be a better choice. Besides, it helps that both Finley and Bonner have picked up their defensive energy, as well as rebounding for Bonner, so far this season.