PDA

View Full Version : Why do the 'Skins run the West Coast?

IronMexican
12-07-2008, 11:51 PM
It's obviously not for them. They have some WR's who can make plays for themselves like Santana Moss, but it just isn't working. They need to let Cambell use that cannon he has, and they just try to use these last 3 games to do that.

K-State Spur
12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
It's obviously not for them. They have some WR's who can make plays for themselves like Santana Moss, but it just isn't working. They need to let Cambell use that cannon he has, and they just try to use these last 3 games to do that.

New coach w/ Joe Gibbs personnel.

They drafted some big WRs to help them last spring, but both have been banged up most of the season.

Campbell does have a cannon, but he doesn't have an O-Line that will give him the time to use it downfield right now.

We Skins fans may have gotten (okay, did get) ahead of ourselves after the first half of the season. This was supposed to be a rebuilding/learning year, and the team/coaches fooled us into thinking that they were way ahead of the curve after the 6-2 start.

clambake
12-08-2008, 11:23 AM
the ravens defense can make anybody look bad. they get the steelers next week, i think.

K-State Spur
12-08-2008, 11:51 AM
the ravens defense can make anybody look bad. they get the steelers next week, i think.

Well, it's been the Ravens, Giants, Cowboys, and Steelers in recent weeks.

All above average defenses, but you have to perform well against at least a couple of them if you want to make the playoffs out of the NFC East.

ShoogarBear
12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm not a fan at all of the Dink-and-Dunk version of the West Coast (which isn't the Original West Coast).

However, holy crap, if they change the system on Campbell AGAIN next year, it would be justifiable homicide on his part. The man has had seven offensive coordinators in seven years. (By comparison, Romo has had one, right?). They should give it at least another year, but my real fear (other than the fact I don't much think any of the receivers they drafted this year, and the offensive line has been unimpressive in pass-blocking) is that one of these years Clinton Portis is just going to be spent.

IronMexican
12-09-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm not a fan at all of the Dink-and-Dunk version of the West Coast (which isn't the Original West Coast).

However, holy crap, if they change the system on Campbell AGAIN next year, it would be justifiable homicide on his part. The man has had seven offensive coordinators in seven years. (By comparison, Romo has had one, right?). They should give it at least another year, but my real fear (other than the fact I don't much think any of the receivers they drafted this year, and the offensive line has been unimpressive in pass-blocking) is that one of these years Clinton Portis is just going to be spent.

They need serious help at the line. I think Eugene Monroe could be there around the 17th pick, possibly.

Kona
12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
They run it because that is the system Zorn uses, and since he is the head coach. I don't think they'd hire him to run Norv Turner's offense. The offense was efficient the first half of the season.

Opposing defenses have enough film on them to adjust now and realize if they blitz the Redskins OL cannot protect Campbell well enough. Combine that with his tendency to hold onto the ball too long and you now have an anemic offensive attack.

They actually use a west coast passing attack and keep the same running attack that Gibbs and Co. implemented(Bugel stayed on). Moss and Randle El are pretty well suited for this system, it is going to take more than 16 games to get the nuances. The two bigger receivers drafted will make better targets in the red zone in year two.

The 'Skins definitely need to pursue some key additions to the OL, the starters are getting long in the tooth and Portis, though pretty young, is like 50 in RB years based on the carries he's gotten in his career.

I think the D is solid, but also need some new faces in the front 7 to keep it rolling. The main sore is the OL, maybe Rhinehart will get some quality time in the remaining games and can come in next year with his reported mean streak at G. A new center and tackle prospect in the upcoming draft would be awesome.

The jury's still out on Campbell, I just don't if he'll ever take over games, he may wind up at best wind up being in the top half on NFL QBs. OCs or not, it is time for him to speed up his decision making and stop taking cat naps in the pocket, he doesn't have the OL that would allow him to do that.