PDA

View Full Version : SI: Seizing the Opportunity

Allanon
12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
SI Article about players making the most of their opportunities. Gotta give some props to RMoney.

Paul Milsap
Ramon Sessions
JJ Barrea
Marquis Daniels

• Roger Mason, Spurs. The Spurs opened the season at 6-6, disappointing by their standards but solid considering Manu Ginobili missed all of those games and Tony Parker sat out seven. San Antonio treaded water well enough to keep the Southwest Division lead in sight thanks in good part to fifth-year guard Mason, who averaged 14.5 points and shot 50 percent from three-point range as a fill-in starter. That early production has helped keep the free-agent pickup (who averaged a career-high 21.4 minutes with the Wizards last season) a prominent part of the rotation even with the return of Ginobili and Parker. Now a team whose offense appeared little more than three deep to start the season has found another candidate to spread the floor and play off Tim Duncan.

by Paul Forrester
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/paul_forrester/12/08/opportunity.notes/index.html?eref=T1

The Truth #6
12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Interesting info about Paul Milsap - he'll be a restricted free agent at the end of this year.

I know most of our expiring contracts will open up for the 2010 plan, and we probably wouldn't have a chance at getting him, but Millsap would be an excellent power forward to play alongside Tim in my opinion. A great rebounder and worker, he could minimize the wear and tear that gets thrown at Tim who has to do all the heavy lifting.

Trying to get a player like Milsap, rather than pining for some top free agent from 2010 that probably won't ever come here, seems like a more realistic fit to shore up our needs, though of course there are obstacles to getting him.

With everyone saving money for the 2010 free agent class, in my opinion, the smart move is to try and steal a player that becomes available before that because there will be heavy competition for those 2010 players. With seemingly every GM putting themselves in position, I don't see SA being a top choice for anyone.

Just a thought.

benefactor
12-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I have mentioned Milsap before. Unless Utah moves AK47's contract they are going to a hard time keeping another team from prying him away. I wouldn't mind making a run at him...which brings me to what you said about 2010...

With everyone saving money for the 2010 free agent class, in my opinion, the smart move is to try and steal a player that becomes available before that because there will be heavy competition for those 2010 players. With seemingly every GM putting themselves in position, I don't see SA being a top choice for anyone.

I've thought the exact same thing as I have been reading through this. And anyone who says David Lee sucks should pull their head out of their derriere. Lee could be a good part of the team going forward and if you have to dip into some of that 2010 cash to keep him I think you do it. Let's face it...out 2010 plan is probably going to consist of signing solid role players over a big name anyway so this would be a nice start. Taking on Jeffries contract isn't great, but if you look at the current garbage on our front line anything is an improvement. It's a bullet I would bite to get Lee.
:tu

Manufan909
12-08-2008, 06:45 PM
I have mentioned Milsap before. Unless Utah moves AK47's contract they are going to a hard time keeping another team from prying him away. I wouldn't mind making a run at him...which brings me to what you said about 2010...

:tu

What's your plan for getting Lee?

tlongII
12-08-2008, 06:46 PM
The Blazers could make a run at Millsap. RFA's are very difficult to sign away from their teams though.

benefactor
12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
What's your plan for getting Lee?
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111380

SpurSupremacist
12-08-2008, 11:13 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111380

:rollin

The Truth #6
12-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Is there an obvious joke here?

benefactor
12-09-2008, 05:30 AM
:rollin
Care to elaborate on what you feel is so funny about that trade idea?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Care to elaborate on what you feel is so funny about that trade idea?

The Knicks already got all the cap relief they need to make the run - that was what the Randolph/Crawford trades were about, no? They have only 18mil in committed salary:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Also, they'll find a taker for Jefferies in some sort of salary dump.

Why would they give up their best young player, and next year's mid-teens pick, for the dross we have to offer? That's what's funny! :lmao

/fantasy trade

benefactor
12-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Though I don't think the Knicks would do it either...I still wouldn't say its a laughable trade idea. There is actually benefit for both sides, unlike some of the Bonner/Vaughn for a superstar ideas that have been tossed around. We could probably get Isaiah to go for it if he was still there. :tu

But back to the topic....