PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Score With Fans In A New National Sports Study

duncan228
12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
San Antonio Spurs score with fans in a new national sports study (http://losangeles.bizjournals.com/losangeles/othercities/sanantonio/stories/2008/12/08/story3.html?b=1228712400%5E1742498&brthrs=1)
San Antonio Business Journal
by W. Scott Bailey

The San Antonio Spurs’ struggles with old age last season and injuries to key players have cost the team wins so far this season.

But Spurs fans still give their NBA team higher marks than do the fans of most other teams in professional sports, according to a new study from New Jersey-based Turnkey Sports & Entertainment.

Turnkey, via its new Team Brand Index study, ranked the nation’s pro sports teams based on fan feedback. The firm measured data in 21 distinct metrics and 36 brand attributes to rank the 122 franchises that compete in the NBA, NFL, NHL and Major League Baseball.

This is the second year that Turnkey has issued such a report. And it is the second time that the Spurs have scored well among the fans.

According to Turnkey, the Spurs rank tops among all NBA teams and seventh overall among the 122 franchises.

“Once again, the Spurs’ scores ranked them as one of the very strongest team brands,” says Turnkey President and CEO Len Perna.

“Fans respect and admire this brand,” says Perna about the Spurs.

He does say, however, that the Black & Silver benefit from the fact that San Antonio has only one major league sports franchise.

Fans rated each of the teams on a number of factors including:

• Perceived entertainment value;

• Likeability of the players;

• Perceptions of ownership;

• Commitment to winning.

Turnkey officials say San Antonio fans rated “hard-working” and “trustworthy” as the two most important attributes for a local sports team.

But the attribute that was most often used to describe the Spurs by their fans was “competitive.”

The Green Bay Packers ranked tops overall among the 122 sports teams in Turnkey’s Team Brand Index study.

In this new study, Turnkey is seeking fans’ perceptions of the co-branding and transferred value that takes place in each market between teams and their sponsors. According to Turnkey, the Spurs deliver on that front, as well.

“The Spurs ranked third of all 122 teams and first of all NBA teams in the sponsorship metrics,” Perna says.

San Antonio fans ranked Coca Cola as the most admired sponsor in San Antonio.

The study tracked consumer opinions on more than 150 local, regional and national companies who sponsor NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB teams. The results were, according to Turnkey, derived from a scientific survey of 12,000 sports fans in 47 U.S. and Canadian markets.

sa_kid20
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Am I the only one that finds it funny that nobody replied in this thread? :lol

m33p0
12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
• Perceived entertainment value;

• Likeability of the players;

• Perceptions of ownership;

• Commitment to winning.
based on those categories, the Spurs organization fail miserably in this forum. :lol

superbigtime
12-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I like all the Spurs players except Jockstrap Vaughn. I would like him just fine if he was a Laker. Can you imagine? That even sounds ludicrous!

igruex
12-08-2008, 09:08 PM
There isn't much more to say. It doesn't say much considering San Antonio has one of the best franchises ever in the Spurs but no other, at least decent, in any other sport. So the index must be pretty biased.

milkyway21
12-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Am I the only one that finds it funny that nobody replied in this thread? :lol
:lol
Actually, I am not surprised.

There was one Nielsen survey about the most watched NBA teams last month and the Spurs topped in the survey beating the Lakers and Celtics but the ST fans are just not interested to comment.
As if they already know.
Maybe, it means "Amen", "okay" or "whatever".

but, watch out

if in February Kobe, Bynum, & Gasol will receive the invites to the All-Star game and no Spur will(Duncan might get many votes though),

and or Ma$on will be snubbed for the 3pt shootout(again like Bowen or Brent), then Dirk who might not be voted for a spot in the game and will compete again(:vomit:), you can expect 10 pages about that :lmao

dougp
12-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Funny, Green Bay is a small-market team also ...

samikeyp
12-09-2008, 12:10 AM
:tu

z0sa
12-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Funny, Green Bay is a small-market team also ...

My thoughts as well, but perhaps having a small-market team is a bigger advantage? The fans feel more in tune with the team.

mrspurs
12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
What can ya say? No Manu and no TP and we're still basically better then most teams. Our weak schedule helped out but we beat the teams we're supposed to. Unlike the Rockets losing to Memphis last night. hahahaha......Never been to a rockets site, I wonder if they're asking for Rick to be fired yet? Ive been to a Mavs site and they're sites want to fire the janitor when they lose.