PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Blazers Assemble Future Perennial Power Out West

duncan228
12-09-2008, 12:10 AM
I put this here because of the Spurs overlap, please move if it belongs in NBA Central.

Blazers assemble future perennial power out West (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Blazers_assemble_future_perennial_power_out_West.h tml)
Mike Monroe

The Portland Trail Blazers have had two great escapes on their Rose Garden court this season, the first in their home opener.

Then, Spurs forward Michael Finley missed an uncontested 10-foot jumper from the right baseline that would have given the Spurs a 101-100 victory.

Anyone who has watched Finley perfecting his shooting stroke in hour upon hour of practice understands he makes roughly 90 percent of uncontested 10-footers. Maybe the ghost of Kevin Duckworth got a finger on that Halloween Night attempt.

The real Houdini impersonation came a week later, when Brandon Roy launched a 30-foot shot that barely beat the final buzzer. When it went in the basket, the Blazers went from a 99-98 loss to a 101-99 victory over the Rockets.

They haven't lost at home this season, and after years of relative apathy, the Blazers' home court is once again a huge advantage.

This is what happens to talented teams with good coaching and good chemistry. The Blazers are the best story in the Western Conference thus far this season, with 15 wins in their first 22 games despite a brutal schedule that has had them on the road for all but seven games.

That they are second in the West — while starting two rookies — is amazing and frightening. Elite teams trying to remain atop the West with 30-somethings can see the future, and the Willamette River runs through it.

Portland's oldest starter, point guard Steve Blake, is 28. Average age of the five starters: 23 years, three months and a few days.

Teams have spent a decade trying to emulate the Spurs, the most successful pro franchise of the past 10 years. The Trail Blazers have gotten it right.

This is no accident.

General manager Kevin Pritchard, more than any of the Gregg Popovich-R.C. Buford disciples hired by other teams, is succeeding in approximating the Spurs' DNA, right down to having some luck in the lottery when a dominant big man was there to be taken.

Greg Oden's offensive game never will match Tim Duncan's, but he is capable of defensive domination in the low block, perhaps more so than Duncan, a perennial All-Defensive first-teamer.

Pritchard understands he got lucky on lottery night in 2007, but the rest of his player personnel moves have been more shrewd than fortunate.

After a pro playing career that included stints with four NBA teams and ended in Europe, Pritchard served as a Spurs scout for two seasons — 2001-02 and 2003-03. During that short stretch, he learned that character and chemistry are traits as precious as size and athleticism.

“I believe if you're not paying attention to chemistry, you're not trying to build a team right,” Pritchard said. “I've been on teams that had awesome chemistry, and almost without fail, you overachieve. Without chemistry, almost without exception, you underachieve.”

Pritchard drafted a star with a game and work ethic modeled after Duncan's. Roy, Pritchard said, works harder on his game than any teammate. Having star players who lead by example was Lesson No. 1 from his days with the Spurs.

“I don't consider myself the sharpest knife in the tool shed,” Pritchard said, “but I feel like I learned from the best. I think R.C. and Pop have formed a model that's hard to duplicate and will be studied in pro sports classrooms from here to eternity, because what they've been able to do has been really special.”

“For us, it starts with Brandon and LaMarcus (Aldridge), both humble and hungry to do well. When your two best players are like that, the rest fall in line, just like it is in San Antonio, with Tim, Manu (Ginobili) and Tony (Parker).”

Blackjack
12-09-2008, 12:32 AM
I realize they say imitation is the highest form of flattery, but on behalf of the Spurs and their fans everywhere, I'd just like to say...

Cut that shit out!

Bartleby
12-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Of the three rising powerhouses in the West (Utah, New Orleans and Portland), the Blazers look like they will be the most dominant within the next few years. Of course, the trick will be whether or not they can keep the core of all that talent once the rookie contracts expire.

Vito Corleone
12-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I believe that if he can keep his team together that he will have a dominate team that will own the NBA from 2010 to 2020. He not only has the future but he also has the monetary backing to keep the team together and bring in the right pieces to make them better.

K-State Spur
12-09-2008, 01:27 AM
I believe that if he can keep his team together that he will have a dominate team that will own the NBA from 2010 to 2020. He not only has the future but he also has the monetary backing to keep the team together and bring in the right pieces to make them better.

they're not going to have the cap space though once they have to start paying these guys. and they'll lose some guys through natural attrition - you'd think one of webster or outlaw will leave because they're tired of being the same guy.

and they'll have to have a second legitimate star rise up next to Roy. Aldridge is a nice player, but he doesn't do much other than shoot 15 footers (and he's the worst rebounding 6'11+ player I have ever seen in my life).

tomtom
12-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Steve Blake's value seems to be increasing. I hope they trade him for a decent veteran and try to bring up Bayless, he seems like he has a lot more potential

ducks
12-09-2008, 09:10 AM
portland has done nothing
portlant will do something if they can keep eveyone there and happy
and if oden can be 1/10 of what his hype is and stays healthy

mrspurs
12-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Still not sold on this ball club. Yes they have talent. Yes that talent is young. But Blake aint all that, (bruce will shut him down easily imo), and imo Roy is just a tad better.(bruce can still shut this kid down as well). They have some pretty solid Bigs id take over ours in a heart beat. But our bigs are not supposed to win it all, and Im not sure LaMarcus can play with the bigs out there yet without making those mistakes that kill you in the POs. And how can anyone think Greg is gonna remain healthy all season? Another words, come crunch time who are you gonna isolate and say its all yours go get it? I dont see any Portland player who can do that right now or in the future. The lakers have Kobe, Celtics have Paul. Of course we know thats Manu and TPs job for us. But imo Portland still lacks that player. I know everyone is saying Roy. But imo he will turn out to be a jump shot shooter rather quickly because of his build.

tlongII
12-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Still not sold on this ball club. Yes they have talent. Yes that talent is young. But Blake aint all that, (bruce will shut him down easily imo), and imo Roy is just a tad better.(bruce can still shut this kid down as well). They have some pretty solid Bigs id take over ours in a heart beat. But our bigs are not supposed to win it all, and Im not sure LaMarcus can play with the bigs out there yet without making those mistakes that kill you in the POs. And how can anyone think Greg is gonna remain healthy all season? Another words, come crunch time who are you gonna isolate and say its all yours go get it? I dont see any Portland player who can do that right now or in the future. The lakers have Kobe, Celtics have Paul. Of course we know thats Manu and TPs job for us. But imo Portland still lacks that player. I know everyone is saying Roy. But imo he will turn out to be a jump shot shooter rather quickly because of his build.

I'm not sure what you mean here? Roy is extremely strong and he can get to the hoop almost at will. He's our "go to" guy without question.

urunobili
12-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure what you mean here? Roy is extremely strong and he can get to the hoop almost at will. He's our "go to" guy without question.

not superstar level though... and that's exactly what u need to win it all...

SenorSpur
12-09-2008, 10:40 AM
There is absolutely no question that the Blazers are a very talented team and one that could be poised to become a perennial contender for a long time.

However, I'm starting to wonder if these Blazers are getting a bit "too full of themselves" too soon. Some of the comments about them comparing themselves to Boston, to Roy's disparaging comments about the Raptors prior to their game, have made me wonder. These guys are very young and very talented - but they're also immature and inexperienced. There are no experienced players on this roster to show them the way.

Having a lot of talent doesn't automatically you a contender. The Clippers, of the early 2000's, assembled one of the more talented rosters in recent decades. With the likes of Michael Olawakandi, Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Kenyon Dooling, Jeff McInnis and Eric Piatkowski, they were primed for an expected, long run of playoff contention. They never made it, as injuries, selfishness and underachievement collapsed any plans of roster development. Those factors, along with bad ownership and management, led to that team being broken up.

Obviously, the Blazers don't have to worry about the latter. Lofty expectations, pressure, and adversity all have a way of exposing character flaws. I can't wait to see what exposes the Blazers as "not being ready for prime time".

tlongII
12-09-2008, 10:44 AM
not superstar level though... and that's exactly what u need to win it all...

I disagree. He's definitely superstar level in my opinion.

urunobili
12-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Let's double check the superstars of this league...

Superstar

Kobe
LeBron
Wade
TD
Dwight

Star

TP
Manu
Dirk
CP3
D-Will
Roy

i think he is not quite up there yet buddy... just check the superstar stats to his to double check what i'm talking about...

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
There is absolutely no question that the Blazers are a very talented team and one that could be poised to become a perennial contender for a long time.

However, I'm starting to wonder if these Blazers are getting a bit "too full of themselves" too soon. Some of the comments about them comparing themselves to Boston, to Roy's disparaging comments about the Raptors prior to their game, have made me wonder. These guys are very young and very talented - but they're also immature and inexperienced. There are no experienced players on this roster to show them the way.

Having a lot of talent doesn't automatically you a contender. The Clippers, of the early 2000's, assembled one of the more talented rosters in recent decades. With the likes of Michael Olawakandi, Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Kenyon Dooling, Jeff McInnis and Eric Piatkowski, they were primed for an expected, long run of playoff contention. They never made it, as injuries, selfishness and underachievement collapsed any plans of roster development. Those factors, along with bad ownership and management, led to that team being broken up.

Obviously, the Blazers don't have to worry about the latter. Lofty expectations, pressure, and adversity all have a way of exposing character flaws. I can't wait to see what exposes the Blazers as "not being ready for prime time".

Good point. A more recent example were the Bulls from a couple of years ago with Hinrich,Gordon,Deng,Chandler, Nocioni, lots of capspace and a lottery pick ( which then turned into Ben Wallace and Tyrus Thomas ). They were supposed to be great but messed it all up royally mainly due to the fact that none of these guys turned into a real superstar and they overpaid for them. Which is exactly what could happen to the Blazers when they get to resigning their young players.

I remember a quote from Pop saying something along the lines that his best achievement was that he didn't mess things up.

gingerwave
12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I realize they say imitation is the highest form of flattery, but on behalf of the Spurs and their fans everywhere, I'd just like to say...

Cut that shit out!

I could not have said it any better myself. :bang

tlongII
12-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Superstar

Kobe
LeBron
Wade
TD
Dwight

Star

TP
Manu
Dirk
CP3
D-Will
Roy

i think he is not quite up there yet buddy... just check the superstar stats to his to double check what i'm talking about...

With Roy it's not about stats. He's a team-first guy that does what it takes to win.

WildcardManu
12-09-2008, 12:19 PM

Superstar

Kobe
LeBron
Wade
TD
Dwight

Star

TP
Manu
Dirk
CP3
D-Will
Roy

Superstars lead, stars just shine and stand out

ivanfromwestwood
12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
wait a minute. didnt these same trailblazers put together a 13 game win streak early last year and not even make the playoffs. too early to crown them as the next spurs.

K-State Spur
12-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Good point. A more recent example were the Bulls from a couple of years ago with Hinrich,Gordon,Deng,Chandler, Nocioni, lots of capspace and a lottery pick ( which then turned into Ben Wallace and Tyrus Thomas ). They were supposed to be great but messed it all up royally mainly due to the fact that none of these guys turned into a real superstar and they overpaid for them. Which is exactly what could happen to the Blazers when they get to resigning their young players.

I remember a quote from Pop saying something along the lines that his best achievement was that he didn't mess things up.

It's going to be unbelievable to future generations that the Bulls could have had Kobe Bryant......but refused to trade Luol Deng to do so.

K-State Spur
12-09-2008, 01:51 PM

IMHO, a superstar is a guy that you can surround with just mediocre talent - and he'll make you at least a playoff team.

That would make the list Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, KG, probably Dirk and Chris Paul, and Wade when he's healthy. While I might be missing a name or two - that's where I'm going to cut off the list.

Maybe someday - but Roy's not there yet.

Indazone
12-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Blazers = Memphis Grizzlies

Loads of talent all hype

SenorSpur
12-09-2008, 02:10 PM
With Roy it's not about stats. He's a team-first guy that does what it takes to win.

Which is why, out of all the young players that have entered the league in the last 3 years, he has the best chance of becoming a superstar. He's almost cerebral in the way he plays, much like Duncan.

Fingaroll44
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Having a lot of talent doesn't automatically you a contender. The Clippers, of the early 2000's, assembled one of the more talented rosters in recent decades. With the likes of Michael Olawakandi, Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Kenyon Dooling, Jeff McInnis and Eric Piatkowski, they were primed for an expected, long run of playoff contention. They never made it, as injuries, selfishness and underachievement collapsed any plans of roster development.

:lol @ Olawakandi. OK if u say so

SenorSpur
12-09-2008, 02:16 PM
:lol @ Olawakandi. OK if u say so

I was speaking from a Clipper perspective. We all know he turned out to be shit, but that didn't quell the excitement surrounding the expectations they had of both him and the team. Read the post, dude.

SpursDynasty
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Comparing Portland to SA after 22 games? Ridiculous. They haven't even made the playoffs. Besides, players have to be committed to staying with a certain team long term to be like the Spurs. TD, TP, Bowen, and Manu are now in their seventh season together as a unit. I don't think any other group of 4 players in the NBA can say that. Players jump teams so much these days we don't really see any dynasty-like greatness other than the Spurs.

dbestpro
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Okay so who will be the end group for this team. Oden will be the center and Aldridge at power foward. Looks decent but Oden's play looks a lot like Kwame Brown material. Small foward and shooting guard will come down to two Outlaw, Webster, Fernandez, Bayless and Roy. By the time this team is finals capable they will loose 3 of the 5 of this group to FA. Then there is the question of the point guard. Bayless is not going to play NBA point at least for this team and function.

So in the end will the exisitng players that are left develop into superstars or will Portland trade parts of the group for existing superstars. That is the revelation that will allow Portland to considered the next Spurs. For now the next Spurs are still the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Blazers = Memphis Grizzlies

Loads of talent all hype

more like the chicago cows...after the jordan era....with all that talent on the roster.....and high draft picks consecutive years, whether it was theres or the knicks...they fail.

androck
12-09-2008, 03:30 PM
It's going to be unbelievable to future generations that the Bulls could have had Kobe Bryant......but refused to trade Luol Deng to do so.

No kidding. It's painful just thinking about it.

superbigtime
12-09-2008, 05:16 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge has been okay, but not entirely consistent. Brandon Roy and Rudy Fernandez are their most talented players. They are overly hyped. They aren't beating anyone in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Okay so who will be the end group for this team. Oden will be the center and Aldridge at power foward. Looks decent but Oden's play looks a lot like Kwame Brown material.

It's way to early to indict the young man with such a comparison. If nothing else, Oden already displays something Kwame never did - heart and desire. He's also got respect for the game. All things that Kwame has NEVER shown. Provided he stays healthy, I would expect Oden to make an impact on the NBA.