PDA

View Full Version : Bad economy helping Web scammers recruit `mules'

RandomGuy
12-09-2008, 01:20 PM
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The worsening economy appears to be helping computer crooks with one of their toughest tasks: tricking people into opening their homes and bank accounts and becoming "mules" for laundering money or stolen goods.

The scams themselves aren't new. They're pitched in spam e-mails as "work-at-home" jobs that promise excellent part-time money for helping companies pay clients in other countries. The victims are asked to open new bank accounts in their names, agree to accept anonymous payments into those accounts, and forward those payments by way of money transfer, usually to locations in Eastern Europe.

The scam is classic money laundering with an Internet twist. The money is generally real, and the middle man is promised a cut. What those middle men may not know is they're trafficking in ill-gotten gains and helping criminals pay each other while disguising the source. And the mules are often the ones at the greatest risk of arrest.

Savvy computer users usually identify this as a scam. But security researchers say more people are willing to take a risk on the come-ons as unemployment rises and the volume of the mule e-mails increases.

Read the full article here:
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20081209/ap_on_hi_te/tec_money_mules

BacktoBasics
12-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm not suprised the unknowing mules get the worst of it. Pretty common practice for law inforcement to fight the pain rather cure the source.

CosmicCowboy
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I wonder if anyone ever scams the scammers. Fake an ID, take the deposits and run with them.

BacktoBasics
12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I wonder if anyone ever scams the scammers. Fake an ID, take the deposits and run with them.There are forums dedicated to this very practice.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
What is it with kids these days and wanting to do all their work on the internet? I'm proud to say that I got me an extra job and it's real work. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go take a shit and make a phone call.

RandomGuy
12-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I wonder if anyone ever scams the scammers. Fake an ID, take the deposits and run with them.

"I think it would be a great idea to steal money from the Russian Mafia or Columbian Drug Cartels."

No thanks, I think I'll take a pass on that one.

RandomGuy
12-10-2008, 09:46 AM
There are forums dedicated to this very practice.

There is an anti-Nigerian scam group in which they try to get the Nigerian scammers to take pictures of themselves with silly signs or other such things.

The gallery is freakin hilarious.