PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Had Doubts About Hill

duncan228
12-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Jeff McDonald: Spurs had doubts about Hill (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/12/jeff_mcdonald_p_25.html)

DALLAS -- At the time, most of the Spurs faithful were thinking it. On Tuesday, Gregg Popovich finally admitted it.

After first-round draft pick George Hill went 2 of 25 from the field in his first three summer league games in silver and black, there was some, ahem, mild concern in the Spurs front office as to whether he would actually pan out.

The Spurs had gambled a bit on Hill, a 22-year-old out of little-known IUPUI in Indiana. His summer league clank-fest did little to assuage their fears that maybe they'd made a mistake.

"He had a tough summer league," Popovich said after this morning's shootaround at American Airlines Center. "We actually had some doubts after the summer league, wondering what direction to go as far as his progression is concerned."

Today, Popovich can reflect on Hill's rough July with a smile and a sense of relief. By every available measure so far, Hill has panned out, emerging as the Spurs' solid No. 2 point guard behind Tony Parker.

"Once the lights went on and the real games came, he showed he could play," Popovich said.

Hill is going through a bit of a scoring slump of late, but he is still averaging 10.4 points per game, one of six Spurs players in double figures this season.

The Truth #6
12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Given his play so far, he'll be a better prospect for this team than Pargo.

BlackBellamy
12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Jeff McDonald: Spurs had doubts about Hill (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/12/jeff_mcdonald_p_25.html)

DALLAS -- At the time, most of the Spurs faithful were thinking it. On Tuesday, Gregg Popovich finally admitted it.

After first-round draft pick George Hill went 2 of 25 from the field in his first three summer league games in silver and black, there was some, ahem, mild concern in the Spurs front office as to whether he would actually pan out.

The Spurs had gambled a bit on Hill, a 22-year-old out of little-known IUPUI in Indiana. His summer league clank-fest did little to assuage their fears that maybe they'd made a mistake.

"He had a tough summer league," Popovich said after this morning's shootaround at American Airlines Center. "We actually had some doubts after the summer league, wondering what direction to go as far as his progression is concerned."

Today, Popovich can reflect on Hill's rough July with a smile and a sense of relief. By every available measure so far, Hill has panned out, emerging as the Spurs' solid No. 2 point guard behind Tony Parker.

"Once the lights went on and the real games came, he showed he could play," Popovich said.

Hill is going through a bit of a scoring slump of late, but he is still averaging 10.4 points per game, one of six Spurs players in double figures this season.

We all knew that. I think the Salim Stoudemire deal was a direct reflection of how much faith we had in George. Actually, this is one time that fans and a player (Hill) might be able to celebrate an injury to a "teammate". Hmm. Anyways, turns out this kid's a stud. George "th' Rill Dill" Hill.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-09-2008, 03:23 PM
If Hill had been a bust.........I don't even know

Stump
12-09-2008, 03:31 PM
How many did we have last season? Three or four?

Even if the stat is inflated due to injuries, it's been great to see the roleplayers step up in ways they just couldn't last year. That more than another else is inspiring for our championship aspirations.

angelbelow
12-09-2008, 03:45 PM
only natural to havve doubts after a miserable first 3 games. but i think we all saw the potential that hill had even tho he was stinking it up.

Obstructed_View
12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I still don't understand how anyone could have been concerned about him. The one thing everybody knew Hill could do was score. You know a guy like that is going to have his offensive game come back around at some point. Poor personnel decision picking up so many scorers to try to make up for him when it was plainly obvious from his on court play that he was a pro and from his resume that he could put the ball in the basket.

urunobili
12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
the only person i know that DID NOT have any doubts about him is jayc23...

Manufan909
12-09-2008, 04:22 PM
the only person i know that DID NOT have any doubts about him is jayc23...

Fuck that, dude. Put me on the list of Hill believers that didn't doubt him even after the first 3 SL games. I knew he'd come around, plus every other part of his game was solid too.

I hope Finley, Roger, and Hill can keep scoring 10+ to help out the Big 3, the only one I have possible doubts about is Finley regressing.

Hopefully Bonner can get to double digits. If he can start averaging 25 min I don't see why not, with all the open shots he will get. And when it comes to rebounding, who's leading the Spurs in O rbs?

MarCowMar
12-09-2008, 04:29 PM
I loved Hill's rebounding and defense in summer league but his offense was _scary_. He looked especially uncomfortable driving to the basket.

All that's over now. :)

Mal
12-09-2008, 04:29 PM

That`s why we can go for ..... :lobt2: