PDA

View Full Version : Don't Fall Asleep On The Most Dangerous Sleeper Team Out West

duncan228
12-09-2008, 06:33 PM
The San Antonio Spurs are Still NBA Contenders (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1284891/the_san_antonio_spurs_are_still_nba.html?cat=14)
Don't Fall Asleep on the Most Dangerous Sleeper Team Out West
By Simon Shaw

The San Antonio Spurs began their 08-09 NBA season minus one All-Star two guard and amongst much speculation regarding their lack of youth, athleticism and newly acquired talent. A dismal 1-3 start highlighted issues beyond the absent Manu Ginobili - apparently the rest of this veteran squad had forgotten how to play defense, an area of specialty in recent seasons. By the fifth game (a home fixture and loss to the Miami Heat) the Spurs had considerably bigger problems; Tony Parker would fall awkwardly and roll his right ankle. The medical staff quickly announced the severity of the sprain and Parker, a former Finals MVP, would sit for a month.

The Spurs are a defensively orientated outfit and when healthy, they frequently struggle to hit triple figures. Without their All-Star tandem, the Spurs would be missing in the region of 40pts per game and outside of the ever reliable Tim Duncan, one had to wonder where the points would come from. Within five games a dynasty looked lottery bound and their reign of unprecedented consistency looked to be on life support.

Meanwhile the injury free Lakers, Celtics and Cavaliers had ascertained the majority of headlines in the season's early stages, posting championship caliber winning percentages. The San Antonio Spurs' shorthanded response to adversity is a no less worthwhile story, it featured an aging MVP once again putting the team on his back (Tim Duncan), some lights out shooting by one of the most improved players in the league (Roger Mason) and a rookie who played beyond all expectations (George Hill). The subsequent 7-2 stretch was a feat that few predicted and kept the Spurs within the top eight in the ultra competitive Western Conference. The wins came after re-asserting their defense; in a remarkable win against division rivals the Houston Rockets, the Spurs kept their opposition scoreless for the game's final five minutes and scored 12 unanswered in a thrilling forth quarter. Rookie point guard Hill was instrumental, driving with reckless abandon over Yao Ming in a manner that recalled the player he was standing in for.

With Parker and Ginobili now back in the starting line-up, is it not time to ask how much noise this year's Spurs team can make? Their early injury woes highlighted a surprising backcourt depth and their tenacious winning stretch showed a veteran savvy few other teams can claim. Once the 'Big Three' gel in the manner that characterized their championship runs, the Spurs are surely capable of beating any team on any given night. Recent blow-out victories against Denver and Golden State have been uncharacteristically high scoring affairs suggesting that Head Coach Gregg Popovich has his healthy offensive well tuned already.

With the injuries and shifting rotations, the Spurs are still a distant threat to the currant top seeded clubs and that may prove advantageous. Of course there is still an awful lot of basketball to play before the playoffs and some issues remain (a more offensively minded backup for Duncan is sorely required) but the small market Spurs are familiar with the underdog tag and never has that label been so distinguished. Few have picked the Spurs as contenders but now with a fully functioning roster, would the Jazz, Nuggets, Hornets or Rockets really want to face this group in the first round? The Lakers may just yet have another Western Conference Final meeting with the Spurs, the crucial difference this time may be a certain healthy Argentinian.

spursfan09
12-09-2008, 06:48 PM
God, I just want this team to be healthy for the playoffs.

tp2021
12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Its retarded that a league desperate for credibility fails to promote the best TEAM in the NBA, that has been all about the TEAM concept for years, and winning championships. They aren't about the glitz and sexiness like Kobe and Lebron. Show me a fan that feels like the Spurs are an "easy out" a.k.a Sleeper, and I will show you a fan that only sees the Sportscenter highlights of the same dunks every night.

[/rant]

debo
12-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Its retarded that a league desperate for credibility fails to promote the best TEAM in the NBA, that has been all about the TEAM concept for years, and winning championships. They aren't about the glitz and sexiness like Kobe and Lebron. Show me a fan that feels like the Spurs are an "easy out" a.k.a Sleeper, and I will show you a fan that only sees the Sportscenter highlights of the same dunks every night.

[/rant]

:toast

Allanon
12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree with the article, the Spurs are by far the most dangerous sleeper team. Their record doesn't indicate and won't indicate how good they can be when it really counts.

I think the Spurs and Jazz are the only teams with enough Cajones to beat the Lakers in a Playoff series.

But as the only good West team without a legit Center, they're going to have to survive a very tough finish in the West first.

Brazil
12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
[quote=Allanon;2951926
I think the Spurs and Jazz are the only teams with enough Cajones to beat the Lakers in a Playoff series.
[/quote]

Except if a spurs lakers happen in a first round, in this case spurs should tank before to avoid it right ? :)

Armando
12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't think the Spurs are an easy out for any team. I think they are the one team that can crash the Laker's party. Which is why it surprises me so many experts are already taking reservations for a Lakers/Celtics re-match. Boston has a better chance then LA to get back there. The only team in Boston's way is Cleveland. LA has to deal with the Hornets,Jazz,Spurs and the upstart Blazers. Also Denver,Dallas and Phoenix are in the mix.

Allanon
12-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Except if a spurs lakers happen in a first round, in this case spurs should tank before to avoid it right ? :)

:D

Oh yeah, I forgot the Suns also have big cajones too..if they don't blow themselves up first. Spurs/Jazz/Suns/Lakers...the only 4 teams capable (in my mind) of coming out of the West.

spursfaninla
12-09-2008, 07:35 PM
This writer is a disgrace. I happen to agree with him substantively, but he has serious craft issues.

His word usage was poor. You should not try to use big words that you don't understand.

Ascertained was not used correctly in his article;

he said: Meanwhile the injury free Lakers, Celtics and Cavaliers had ascertained the majority of headlines in the season's early stages, posting championship caliber winning percentages.

But ascertained does not mean "to capture" "to own" or even "to make true" or "proven correct the hype" as he might have meant.

instead, ascertain
Pronunciation: \ˌa-sər-ˈtān\
from a- (from Latin ad-) + certein, certain
1archaic : to make certain, exact, or precise2: to find out or learn with certainty

Also, orientated is the ugly stepsister of oriented. Why use it?
orientated
Function: adjective
Usage: chiefly British
Date: 1950
: oriented

Penalty points for trying to sound british (evidently): The mother tongue is overrated.

Anti.Hero
12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Tonight will show us a lot.

The Tony+Manuless Spurs "stayed afloat" sayings are getting kind of old. They were all scrub teams except Houston.

hater
12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
are they the most dangerous sleeper in the NBA? yes. with Duncan + Manu + Parker + Pop, their rings, that is out of the question.

are they on the Celtics/Lakers level? no way. not even close. yet

Anti.Hero
12-09-2008, 07:52 PM
If the 3's are falling they could kill any team.

Just gotta get that solid big to help clog the middle. So close to one more great run for TD.

jmill
12-09-2008, 11:07 PM

[/rant]

But the Spurs aren't the best team in the NBA right now. They're good, but they're not the best.

z0sa
12-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Spurs aren't ever going to be hyped.

Loose Cannon
12-10-2008, 12:03 AM
The Spurs are not a fucking "sleeper team". This is a team that is 16 months removed from a Championship season in which they lost a total of FOUR playoff games. This is a team that got to the Western Finals last year despite playing the hottest young team in the league on the road, and ultimately lost because of shitty scheduling, a malfunctioning plane, and an injury to it's premier clutch scorer and third best player, and they still fought tooth and nail, and should have taken it to six games if not for one of the most horrendous non-calls I've ever witnessed.

Not to mention the up and coming youth that they have not had in what, 5 years?

Just because the media and the basketball watching public generally has the attention span of a beetle doesn't mean it would surprise anyone with a basketball IQ over 60 if/when the Spurs are holding up a trophy next summer. A healthy Spurs team is a top four contender for the title in the playoffs. That is not a "sleeper". What an absurd notion.

Blackjack
12-10-2008, 01:43 AM
The Spurs are not a fucking "sleeper team". This is a team that is 16 months removed from a Championship season in which they lost a total of FOUR playoff games. This is a team that got to the Western Finals last year despite playing the hottest young team in the league on the road, and ultimately lost because of shitty scheduling, a malfunctioning plane, and an injury to it's premier clutch scorer and third best player, and they still fought tooth and nail, and should have taken it to six games if not for one of the most horrendous non-calls I've ever witnessed.

Not to mention the up and coming youth that they have not had in what, 5 years?

Just because the media and the basketball watching public generally has the attention span of a beetle doesn't mean it would surprise anyone with a basketball IQ over 60 if/when the Spurs are holding up a trophy next summer. A healthy Spurs team is a top four contender for the title in the playoffs. That is not a "sleeper". What an absurd notion.

:toast Nicely played, but...

This is a team that got to the Western Finals last year despite playing the hottest young team in the league on the road, and ultimately lost because of shitty scheduling, a malfunctioning plane, and an injury to it's premier clutch scorer and third best player, and they still fought tooth and nail, and should have taken it to six games if not for one of the most horrendous non-calls I've ever witnessed.

Third best, huh? :stirpot:

td4mvp21
12-10-2008, 01:50 AM
But the Spurs aren't the best team in the NBA right now. They're good, but they're not the best.

I think what he meant is that the Spurs have been consistently good over the past err 10 years or so (with the last 5 resulting in 3 championships) yet the NBA never really markets them. You are right, they are not the best team in the NBA right now.

balli
12-10-2008, 01:54 AM
I'd rather the Jazz play just about anybody out west other than LA and SA. Including a healthy HOU who is a threat and NO who doesn't scare me at all. And I guess I'd rather play SA than LA, but given Utah and SA's history, they'll always be a team that immensely scares me, until we personally knock them off.

tomtom
12-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Just the way I like it, under the radar :)

jmill
12-10-2008, 03:53 AM
I think what he meant is that the Spurs have been consistently good over the past err 10 years or so (with the last 5 resulting in 3 championships) yet the NBA never really markets them. You are right, they are not the best team in the NBA right now.

Ahh, fair enough. Yea, the Spurs just don't appeal to the casual fan, that's the problem. They've obviously been very v good for a while now, but the NBA can't market them as well.

However, this is the first year in the last 5 where I just don't think they can win it. Not trying to troll, I just think the Cavs and Celtics might end up being historically good this year. And I'm a huge Lakers fan who can't stand those teams, but they're both just really good. The Cavs especially, they've won 9 straight games by 12 or more.

Right now I'd say

1. Cavs
2. Celtics
3. Lakers
4. everyone else

I could see the Spurs establishing themselves as the clear 4th best team going into the playoffs, but I'm just not sure it will matter this year. Mad respect for what they've accomplished though.

mrspurs
12-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Sleeper? Yeah right. And what happened last night is what should have happened. Dont let us beating Dallas make ya think we're even close to matching up against the Lakers yet. Dallas isnt a good team. Still the same players and always underachieving. It was nice to get that win on the road. But with Fab and Kurt getting 8 mins. each and we're still taking ya to overtime your team just isnt that good. They know it as well.

anakha
12-10-2008, 04:49 AM
Sleeper? Yeah right. And what happened last night is what should have happened.

mrspurs = SpursDynasty?

:lmao

mountainballer
12-10-2008, 07:07 AM
But as the only good West team without a legit Center, they're going to have to survive a very tough finish in the West first.

well, they have a legit center, his name is Tim Duncan. alongside Matt Bonner it sounds even more ridiculous to still call him PF and Bonner a center.
however, let's name it: without a legit starter quality big man alongside Tim it will be tough. Bonner will not deliver like this for a whole season. it doesn't matter that much if this big is a PF or a center, as long as he's good.

naico
12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I agree with the article, the Spurs are by far the most dangerous sleeper team. Their record doesn't indicate and won't indicate how good they can be when it really counts.

Well, the way the Spurs line-up is today i wouldn't be surprised, the Lakers would use a 'small' line-up most of the time with Odom or Ariza at the 4 spot.

MarHill
12-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Tonight will show us a lot.

The Tony+Manuless Spurs "stayed afloat" sayings are getting kind of old. They were all scrub teams except Houston.

You can only play the teams on your schedule.

If the Spurs had lost those games...many in this forum would have blasted them for it and declare their lottery status.

By winning them, without Tony & Manu, may have saved the season and if they are all healthy by the playoffs....they will be the only team that can beat the Lakers and Celtics in a 7 game series.

:flag:

MarHill
12-10-2008, 09:50 AM
The article was pretty good.

However, when does a team who has won 3 of the last 6 championships and the only Western Conference Team to win the title since 2003 become a sleeper team.

Oh by the way...they were defending their title last season and made it to WCF.

The San Antonio Spurs are nobody's sleeper team.

That makes no sense!!!!!

Yikes!!

bobbybob0
12-10-2008, 09:59 AM
It doesn't matter that much if this big is a PF or a center, as long as he's good.

Word.

Loose Cannon
12-10-2008, 11:20 AM
:toast Nicely played, but...

Third best, huh? :stirpot:

I'm not one of those "choose a side between Manu and Tony and talk shit about the other guy" morons. I think they're both great, great players and I think that it's very close as to who is more valuable to the team, but I'd give the slight edge to Tony. Just my opinion, but I can see both sides of it. Both are in my top 5 favorite Spurs of all time.

Either way, we were missing one of our premier scoring threats and spark plugs.

Allanon
12-10-2008, 04:44 PM
well, they have a legit center, his name is Tim Duncan. alongside Matt Bonner it sounds even more ridiculous to still call him PF and Bonner a center.
however, let's name it: without a legit starter quality big man alongside Tim it will be tough. Bonner will not deliver like this for a whole season. it doesn't matter that much if this big is a PF or a center, as long as he's good.

I knew somebody would bring up Duncan as the Center...I should have phrased it better.

And yes I agree, as long as the quality big man is good, it doesn't matter if it's a PF or C. But who knows, as bad as Oberto & KT have been, Bonner has been just as good. It's the first time I can say Red Rocket without making a joke out of it.

Red Rocket firing on all thrusters right now.