PDA

View Full Version : Who's up for a March Madness survivor pool?

IceColdBrewski
02-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Was thinking of getting one going when the tourney rolls around but I wan't to see if there will be enough participants to make it worth while. I've ran a few on other sites in years past and they can be pretty fun when you get enough people to play.

For the winners prize, Maybe we can get timvp or kori to change the winners' title to "2005 survivor pool Champion".

If you're interested, post here.

Spurminator
02-24-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm game.

IceColdBrewski
02-24-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm game.

Cool.

Who else?

IceColdBrewski
02-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Do I need to explain the rules or does everyone know what a survivor pool is?

timvp
02-25-2005, 01:03 AM
In.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 10:51 AM
me too

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 10:52 AM
pm me when we are gonna get started because i font come in here very often, thank you.

jalbre6
02-25-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm in.

IceColdBrewski
02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
pm me when we are gonna get started because i font come in here very often, thank you.

Somebody pm him before we get started because I will forget. Whew, glad that's off my shoulders.

Spurminator
02-25-2005, 03:22 PM
You might consider an invitation in The Club.

IceColdBrewski
02-25-2005, 11:36 PM
You might consider an invitation in The Club.

I thought about that but I don't want a whole lot of players. 20-30 should be more than enough. I had to keep track of one a few years back when about 50 people joined. It was a big pain in the ass. At this rate, we should have 20 by the time the tourney starts. If needed, I'll use the other forums as a last ditch effort.

If any of you have any friends on these forums that you think would like to play, go ahead and shoot them a PM.

cqsallie
02-26-2005, 02:41 AM
Count me in on a March Madness pool. Will we be doing the whole 64 teams, or will you be starting with the sweet 16? I'll keep checking in as the date approaches. Am I the only Big East fan on this thread?

IceColdBrewski
02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
For those of you who aren't familiar with a Survivor Pool, you pick 1 team each day of the tournament (2 picks per round for the first 4 rounds). If your team wins, you advance to the next day. If your team loses, you are out. The catch is that you can only pick a team once. So if you pick Duke on the very first day, you can't use them again for the rest of the tourney. There's also a deadline to your pick. I haven't quite decided on which deadline rules I'm going to use this year. But the bottom line is that you will have to make your pick well before that game starts. You can't just wait until you see Illinois pounding on Slippery Rock University before you decide you want to pick Illinois.

travis2
02-28-2005, 07:36 AM
Sure, why not...

Jimcs50
02-28-2005, 01:09 PM
why not?

IceColdBrewski
03-01-2005, 08:34 AM
why not?

:rolleyes

Useless.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2005, 03:01 AM
sounds cool, i'm in

cqsallie
03-03-2005, 04:38 AM
For those of you who aren't familiar with a Survivor Pool, you pick 1 team each day of the tournament (2 picks per round for the first 4 rounds). If your team wins, you advance to the next day. If your team loses, you are out. The catch is that you can only pick a team once. So if you pick Duke on the very first day, you can't use them again for the rest of the tourney.
I don't think this scenario appeals to me. It doesn't make any sense. If I pick Duke and Duke wins, I then have to pick the team that Duke plays in the next round in order to qualify. Naturally, I will lose if Duke plays a totally inferior team. You can't hope to win by picking smart...
Count me out on this one. I'll play the family pool (20 of us and it gets hot! hot! hot!)

IceColdBrewski
03-03-2005, 08:34 AM
I don't think this scenario appeals to me. It doesn't make any sense. If I pick Duke and Duke wins, I then have to pick the team that Duke plays in the next round in order to qualify. Naturally, I will lose if Duke plays a totally inferior team.

Wha??? Somehow I get the feeling that you don't understand the concept.

Survivor pools make plenty of sense. It's your interpretation of it that makes no sense whatsoever.

Jimcs50
03-03-2005, 09:08 AM
:rolleyes

Useless.

dude, what???

I was making fun of Travis' lack of exuberance.

Tell me what to do, andI will try it...I have never done this before.

IceColdBrewski
03-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Tell me what to do, andI will try it...I have never done this before.

It's real simple. Just be here when the Pool starts and I'll help you along.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm in. I'm sure timvp is in too.

Ignite
03-03-2005, 03:49 PM
im in

cqsallie
03-04-2005, 10:37 PM
For those of you who aren't familiar with a Survivor Pool, you pick 1 team each day of the tournament (2 picks per round for the first 4 rounds). If your team wins, you advance to the next day. If your team loses, you are out. The catch is that you can only pick a team once. So if you pick Duke on the very first day, you can't use them again for the rest of the tourney. There's also a deadline to your pick. I haven't quite decided on which deadline rules I'm going to use this year. But the bottom line is that you will have to make your pick well before that game starts. You can't just wait until you see Illinois pounding on Slippery Rock University before you decide you want to pick Illinois.
Where does misinterpretation come into this? "the catch is that you can only pick a tem once. So if you pick Duke on the very first day, you can't use them again for the rest of the tourney."
Okay, so you're saying that I pick Slippery Rock in the first round and they win - or I pick Boston College and they win. No matter how you cut it, I can never pick either of these teams again. I'm sure that a Survivor Pool is fun, but I sure don't understand it. I'm just one of those dumb office types who keep on picking their favorite teams to advance from a field of 64 to a field of 2. :spin

IceColdBrewski
03-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Where does misinterpretation come into this? "the catch is that you can only pick a tem once. So if you pick Duke on the very first day, you can't use them again for the rest of the tourney."
Okay, so you're saying that I pick Slippery Rock in the first round and they win - or I pick Boston College and they win. No matter how you cut it, I can never pick either of these teams again. I'm sure that a Survivor Pool is fun, but I sure don't understand it. I'm just one of those dumb office types who keep on picking their favorite teams to advance from a field of 64 to a field of 2. :spin

Gotcha. Sounds like it just isn't your thing. But it is fun. Not being able to pick a team more than once is part of the challenge. You have to choose wisely in the early rounds. I hope you decide to play. It's pretty simple. You can just follow our lead until you get the hang of it.

JoeChalupa
03-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm in. I was confused but I think I get it.

IceColdBrewski
03-12-2005, 02:06 PM
^

ShoogarBear
03-13-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm probably in.

Some questions:

1. You play until there only one person left? (Since there's no guarantee that anyone will be left during the Final Four. )

2. What if the last 2-3 people are all elminated on the same day?

Brodels
03-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm in.

IcemanCometh
03-13-2005, 08:50 PM
the dude abides

IcemanCometh
03-13-2005, 09:27 PM
http://img14.exs.cx/img14/846/22fd.jpg

IceColdBrewski
03-13-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm probably in.

Some questions:

1. You play until there only one person left? (Since there's no guarantee that anyone will be left during the Final Four. )

2. What if the last 2-3 people are all elminated on the same day?

1. Yes. We play until there's one person standing.

2. If the last 3 are eliminated on the same day, they still keep playing. We keep playing until there's only one "survivor".

If we have to play tiebreaker, we go with the ol' pick the final score on the Championship game. Whoever comes closest wins.

Go-spurs-Go
03-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Sound interesting, I am in!