PDA

View Full Version : Is Udoka still a Spur next year?

Chris
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure his contract expires as all I could find was that it was a 2 year deal under 2 million. It's sad to say that Ime has been a disappointment. I think a lot of us were thinking (hoping) that Udoka would take over for Bruce at SF considering he started 72 games for the Blazers, and came into the club with a reputation as a defensive stopper. Is he being outshined by Mason? Does he have any trade value?

MarHill
12-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Chris,

That is a good question you have brought up.

I don't know about Udoka. He has shown flashes...but not enough.

I just we will have to wait in see on him.

Big P
12-10-2008, 12:45 PM
For a contract around the minimum, I would definitly take him back...I'm sure he will be looking to get paid though & I'm sure someone will offer him more than we will.

bus driver
12-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I have always liked SJax, do you all think Udoka is a SJax type?
He will leave and become a good player on another team? Although, i think SJax was good with us. I would have liked to keep him and Udoka.

SenorSpur
12-10-2008, 12:57 PM
It's still a long season, so I believe it's too early to tell. Also, he's not too old in that he can't continue to get better. He's a relatively cheap option. Unless the Spurs have a more viable option at his spot, and I'm talking a taller, younger, quicker SF that can defend and score the ball, I could see them retaining Udoka.

remingtonbo2001
12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I believe Udoka will be retained. He's a capable replacement to Bruce and reletively cheap. I'd expect a similar number to what he's being paid now.

honestfool84
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
why don't we wait and find out?

it's not a matter of life or death, yet, nor will it be one, i don't think.

xtremesteven33
12-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Gist > Udoka

with all due respect to Udoka, i see a whole lot more potential in James Gist as a "new bowen" than Udoka. Udoka has shown this is as good as it gets. IMO

benefactor
12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Forget about next year, if he doesn't start to play better he could be traded before the deadline.

Fingaroll44
12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I dont know why people think he is a replacement for a freak of nature like Bowen. He doesnt have the nimble and quick feet like Bowen does. He is a good player though. He is just down right now and cant get into a rhythm offensively. Defensively he is good for guarding stronger players rather than quicker ones so he can serve a purpose depending on the matchup. For this reason i dont think he will be traded. Plus he knows the system and is a "Spur".

timvp
12-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Good question. I'd say it's close to 50/50 right now. It will probably come down to whether he's willing to take a one-year contract. If not, the Spurs may look elsewhere and keep their salary flexibility the following summer.

Roster spots may also be an issue. If Gist comes over, the Spurs keep their second round pick and they sign any free agent, Udoka might be the odd man out.

But yeah, it depends largely on how he performs. If he plays like he did against the Hornets last season in the playoffs, the Spurs would find room for him. If he plays like he did against the Lakers? Not so much.

T Park
12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd say Udoka is in europe at this time next year.

yavozerb
12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I wouldnt' mind the spurs eventually signing Hairston and leaving him with the toros. This would allow the spurs to let go of Udoka in the off-season.

Sean Cagney
12-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I have always liked SJax, do you all think Udoka is a SJax type?
He will leave and become a good player on another team? Although, i think SJax was good with us. I would have liked to keep him and Udoka.:( NO he is not a Jax type, Jax is a better shooter, slasher and way better scorer than Udoka ever could be. They are nothing alike.

The Truth #6
12-10-2008, 02:44 PM
If Ime doesn't last on the Spurs, I hope it's not because he didn't become the "next Bruce".

In other words, hopefully Ime gets a chance to prove himself on his own terms.

He hasn't played great lately but not so bad to warrant getting frozen out either. Pop should know that freezing players out only makes it more difficult for them to produce if and when called upon, which in that sense, makes Bonner's recent upsurge in play all the more a gift from the gods. Bonner could be the only one yet to emerge a better player after being the in the doghouse.

concken
12-10-2008, 03:13 PM
The season is still early. i have never been a big Udoka fan, but there is still time to prove himself..

I think he did a great job from Bruce's corner (baseline) last year in the playoff's and really hit some much needed three pointers. I believe towards the end of the season into the playoffs he will step his game up a bit.

koriwhat
12-10-2008, 03:19 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd say Udoka is in europe at this time next year.

i doubt it.

MaNu4Tres
12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
With mason and Hill saddled up for the next 2 years at the least. Ime will be as good as gone. Especially because of the fact that Hill has the ability to play the 2. Therefore Ime is our 6th wing behind Manu Mason Finley Hill Bruce. I just don't see him coming back after this year. I'll willing to bet it.

TDMVPDPOY
12-10-2008, 03:36 PM
i cant wait for GIST DA FUKN FIST.......this is the only player atm and whoever we draft next season to come in and contribute than fukn wait for mahinmi....

angelbelow
12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
for another 2 year 2 million dollar contract i would say yes. but i think hes gonna look to get paid.

stéphane
12-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm quite not sold. He looks quite pissed due to his poor PT. I bet he could play more elsewhere and is going to look for it.

lurker23
12-10-2008, 06:04 PM
For quite a while I felt that Udoka was going to be one of the few pieces that would be in place going into the summer of 2010. However, seeing what has happened so far this year, I'm beginning to doubt it. With the emergence of Hill, Mason, and to a lesser extent the continued viability of Michael Finley, it seems like the Spurs are going more toward the SG types to take over the 3 position.

I think they will still need larger guys to man the 3/4 position in small ball, but as timvp said, that will likely be accomplished by a combination of Gist, a 2nd round draft pick, and/or a free agent signing. My prediction for Udoka is that he either signs with Portland for something close to the LLE, or with another team for 2-3 years for $2-4 million per year.

galvatron3000
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
With Mason, Manu and Finely (signed til 2010) then I suspect he is the odd man out depending on what the Spurs will look for this summer, that will be determined on their post season play and defiencies. Can't forget Bowen. Too many log jams. Udoka would have to start to kill it and he hasn't beat out Finley or Bowen for a rotation spot.

Personally, I think he needs more PT and would be better if given Finley's minutes but Finley is shooting well, should have taken advantage of Finley's poor play early on.

superbigtime
12-11-2008, 01:50 AM
I hope not. He's been okay, but we can do better.

tp2021
12-11-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm almost 100% sure the Spurs wanted Gist to sign overseas. It's a 2-year deal, with an opt-out after 1 year (meaning he could come over next season). That way, the Spurs can sign him to a 2-year deal without him being a FA in 2010.

Yorae
12-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Udoka is not happy, not happy at all...

tp2021
12-11-2008, 01:57 AM
I am a member of the CoG!

bigdog
12-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Hairston will take Udoka's place next year. Actually, if anyone wants to take Udoka this year in exchange for a pick, I'd do it. Then just sign Hairston this year

Bruno
12-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Next year, Finley will be 36 years old and Bruce will be 38 years old. Even if Spurs can play with 3 guards, I doubt Spurs won't have another option at SF.
Spurs will have very limited financial resources to get another SF because they will be very close to the luxury tax and because of the 2010 plan.
As a consequence, Spurs will likely sign a cheap SF next summer.

Will this cheap SF be Udoka? It's way too soon to answer.

Austin_Toros
12-11-2008, 07:43 AM
either sign him for the minimum or get hairston for him
i dont think ime has lived up to our expectations

mrspurs
12-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Well on thing is for sure. While many young players in this league will continue to get better. Ime isnt. This is all Ime is gonna give us. He can play in this league as a backup. But he isnt no starter. And even as a backup you better have an all-star he is backing up, or your line-up wont be that good. He can make 3 point shots, but cant make a layup. That doesnt help anyone out.

mountainballer
12-11-2008, 07:57 AM
I think he will be part of a package in a trade. I no longer see him as a successor of either Bruce or Fin and he will turn 32 next summer anyhow. (not that age was ever a problem with the Spurs but still mentioning. there isn't any upside left)
I also think that Pop is quite disappointed with his offensive efficiency. Ime constantly decreased from his decent year in Portland (your efficiency should go up, not down, when you join a better team, especially when it's constructed like the Spurs, where you get fewer, but better looks)
his defense also isn't that great. decent, when playing against 2nd or 3rd stringers, but this one you could get from many other players either.
Ime might make more sense on a young team, that is thin in the back court and can use some veteran leadership. more or less the role he had in Portland 2007. (Thunder?, Kings?)
I think either Hairston and Marcus Williams can replace him and both have much more upside and a better chance to once take over the role of Bruce or Fin.

exstatic
12-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Next year, Finley will be 36 years old and Bruce will be 38 years old. Even if Spurs can play with 3 guards, I doubt Spurs won't have another option at SF.
Spurs will have very limited financial resources to get another SF because they will be very close to the luxury tax and because of the 2010 plan.
As a consequence, Spurs will likely sign a cheap SF next summer.

Will this cheap SF be Udoka? It's way too soon to answer.

No it isn't. He won't be back.

It must be a terrible lonely thing to be the dog in Pop's doghouse. If I'm Ime, I wouldn't come back, even if asked. I'd keep my chin up, be a good team mate, and use the rest of the season, when not getting yanked out of the game for one mistake and never put back in, as an audition for other teams.

Solid D
12-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I agree, exstatic. The prospects of Ime coming back next season don't look favorable. As MaNu4Tres and Lurker23 mentioned, George Hill and Roger Mason make Ime a deep bench guy now. Hill and Mace are both multi-position players who can bring the ball up, score and in Hill's case, play solid D.

Pop has used Parker and Hill on the floor at the same time, including during winning time versus the T-Wolves. Ime has been used at the 2, 3 and 4 (small lineup) but all three positions are 2 or 3-deep. Face it, is Ime playing better than Bruce, Fin, Mace, Manu, Bonner or Hill? Uh no. That makes Ime and Jacque last off the bench or injury insurance.

Ime probably moves on next season.

T Park
12-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Ime had his chance to stay on early in the season and played some pathetic basketball.

He built the doghouse his ownself.

Spurs Brazil
12-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Ime had his chance to stay on early in the season and played some pathetic basketball.

Agree. When TP and Manu were out Ime had a chance and played terrible, especially on D

wildbill2u
12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty sure his contract expires as all I could find was that it was a 2 year deal under 2 million. It's sad to say that Ime has been a disappointment. I think a lot of us were thinking (hoping) that Udoka would take over for Bruce at SF considering he started 72 games for the Blazers, and came into the club with a reputation as a defensive stopper. Is he being outshined by Mason? Does he have any trade value?

I'm beginning to doubt that he'll make it through the trade deadline.

SenorSpur
12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Like many others, I had high hopes that Ime would be a solid contributor and eventually replace Bruce at SF. Unfortunately, he's fallen short. Now, he's in the doghouse. The good news is, it's a long season and there's still time for him to atone for his earlier poor play. His contributions during the playoff series versus the Hornets still gives me some hope.

As for next season, I believe the Spurs will look into at some available options at SF via free agency first, before deciding on whether to retain Ime. Personally, I'd like to see to Spurs go after Trevor Ariza , who will be an UFA this summer. If he's available and in the Spurs price range, I'd let Udoka walk and wouldn't think twice. However, something tells me Ariza's market value will exceed the Spurs budget. Also, Malik Hairston could figure into the plans at the SF position for next season. If so, I believe Ime is gone.

If there are no other better, cheaper SF options available at SF, I could see the Spurs retaining Ime, provided the roster spots dictate. He's still a younger, cheaper and a better long-term, SF option than say, Finley or Bowen, who both should be back again next season. At some point, the Spurs need to start going the other way, in terms of upgrading the overall age, length, and athleticism at the SF position.

All that said, I believe the decision as to whether to bring Ime back next season will hinge upon whether he can work himself back into the rotation as a contributing player this year and what other SF options may be available during the summer.

lurker23
12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Hill and Mace are both multi-position players who can bring the ball up, score and in Hill's case, play solid D.

Don't sleep too much on Mason's D. I know he's had a few lapses this year, but his D was what kept him in the league before his offensive revolution, and what made the Spurs interested in him in the first place. I think once he understands the Spurs funneling system a little better, he will be asked to guard top-notch players for periods of time.

exstatic
12-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Like many others, I had high hopes that Ime would be a solid contributor and eventually replace Bruce at SF. Unfortunately, he's fallen short. Now, he's in the doghouse. The good news is, it's a long season and there's still time for him to atone for his earlier poor play. His contributions during the playoff series versus the Hornets still gives me some hope.

As for next season, I believe the Spurs will look into at some available options at SF via free agency first, before deciding on whether to retain Ime. Personally, I'd like to see to Spurs go after Trevor Ariza , who will be an UFA this summer. If he's available and in the Spurs price range, I'd let Udoka walk and wouldn't think twice. However, something tells me Ariza's market value will exceed the Spurs budget. Also, Malik Hairston could figure into the plans at the SF position for next season. If so, I believe Ime is gone.

If there are no other better, cheaper SF options available at SF, I could see the Spurs retaining Ime, provided the roster spots dictate. He's still a younger, cheaper and a better long-term, SF option than say, Finley or Bowen, who both should be back again next season. At some point, the Spurs need to start going the other way, in terms of upgrading the overall age, length, and athleticism at the SF position.

All that said, I believe the decision as to whether to bring Ime back next season will hinge upon whether he can work himself back into the rotation as a contributing player this year and what other SF options may be available during the summer.

The thing about Ariza is, no matter how athletic he is, if he's only shooting the three-ball at 20-something percent, his man is going to park in Tim's lap. I think the minimum you can shoot as a wing in this offense and get 20+ minutes is 35-36% from downtown. I think Hairston is a much more likely option, both from a cost and a "fit" perspective.

The decision to retain Ime is the Spurs to make, but the decision to part ways could be made by either party. Ime is a UFA next summer and could easily just walk. I think he'd be a good fit in N.O., Utah, or maybe the re-tooling Suns as a Bell replacement. He's not an elite defender, but he's good one, an excellent rebounder for size, and shoots the long ball. He'll find a home in the NBA next year.

T Park
12-13-2008, 11:23 AM
I think the expectations on malik hairston should be tempered a tad....

K-State Spur
12-13-2008, 11:30 AM

There's a lot of truth in that. Although even if he was playing like he did towards the end of last year - whose minutes in the rotation are you going to sacrifice for him?

Ultimately, he's been the one most hurt by the emergence of Mason & Hill. If it had just been one, he'd probably still get on the floor - but both of them have relegated him to the bench.

K-State Spur
12-13-2008, 11:36 AM
The thing about Ariza is, no matter how athletic he is, if he's only shooting the three-ball at 20-something percent, his man is going to park in Tim's lap. I think the minimum you can shoot as a wing in this offense and get 20+ minutes is 35-36% from downtown.

Agreed. As good as Bruce has been for this team - when he's not hitting that corner shot, he does as much harm as good.

When Manu could get to the rim almost at will, you could get away with that on occasion. But with his game evolving from slasher to shooter, you can't go 4 on 5 on offense anymore.

Now, most of the time, Bruce is hitting that shot well enough to keep the defense semi-honest.

But unless they feel that Chip could work wonders with Ariza, I'm not sure he's the best option.

exstatic
12-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I think the expectations on malik hairston should be tempered a tad....

Taking Udoka's spot isn't much of an expectation. Show up for practice on time, play garbage minutes as needed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

SequSpur
12-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Udoka is just fine. Shit.. he played well in the playoffs last year. One of the bright spots.

He has been sick and out of the rotation.

You guys are a bunch of dicks.

Bruno
12-13-2008, 11:46 AM
No it isn't. He won't be back.

It must be a terrible lonely thing to be the dog in Pop's doghouse. If I'm Ime, I wouldn't come back, even if asked. I'd keep my chin up, be a good team mate, and use the rest of the season, when not getting yanked out of the game for one mistake and never put back in, as an audition for other teams.

While I agree that, if nothing changes Udoka will likely be gone, you had to keep in mind that there is still 60 regular season games to play.
In 20, 30 or 40 games, he could be back in the rotation and be an important piece to this team like he was during some stretches last season.

exstatic
12-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Udoka is just fine. Shit.. he played well in the playoffs last year. One of the bright spots.

He has been sick and out of the rotation.

You guys are a bunch of dicks.

He hasn't been sick in a week. The last two games: 20 seconds towards the end of the half, one turnover, yanked immediately with seconds left, and not re-inserted at garbage time, and 54 seconds at the end of the Minn game, a game where they played probably 15 minutes of small ball. He's done, Sequ. Recognize.

exstatic
12-13-2008, 11:51 AM
While I agree that, if nothing changes Udoka will likely be gone, you had to keep in mind that there is still 60 regular season games to play.
In 20, 30 or 40 games, he could be back in the rotation and be an important piece to this team like he was during some stretches last season.

He's not taking Hill or Mason's minutes. The only possible place minutes could come from is Michael Finley, and Pop is in butt love with him. He could clank everything for a month, play turnstile defense, dribble the ball off his leg, and get ridden off the boards by Tyron Lue, and he wouldn't lose a minute. Udoka's fucked.

The Truth #6
12-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Udoka hardly makes more than Hill. I don't think we can get a cheaper, veteran option.

It's funny that he was touted so much before he came here even though no one else made an offer on him. I think expectations were too high.

Either way I think he's fine as an end of the bench option. To his credit he wants to play more, and probably should occasionally when we want to go small ball and need to rebound the ball. Not to mention, it doesn't do the team any good to let his skills wither without occasional PT.

I'm not sure if his current status puts him in Pop's doghouse. The past doghouse residents all were players who actually deserved more minutes, like Malik or Brent.

If they can't find a replacement in the Summer, they'll probably make him wait as long as possible before they make a decision. But I don't see any team wanting to take him on with a trade.

exstatic
12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Udoka hardly makes more than Hill. I don't think we can get a cheaper, veteran option.

It's funny that he was touted so much before he came here even though no one else made an offer on him. I think expectations were too high.

Either way I think he's fine as an end of the bench option. To his credit he wants to play more, and probably should occasionally when we want to go small ball and need to rebound the ball. Not to mention, it doesn't do the team any good to let his skills wither without occasional PT.

I'm not sure if his current status puts him in Pop's doghouse. The past doghouse residents all were players who actually deserved more minutes, like Malik or Brent.

If they can't find a replacement in the Summer, they'll probably make him wait as long as possible before they make a decision. But I don't see any team wanting to take him on with a trade.

Trade? Are you talking within this season, because he's a UFA this summer. There will be no trade required. I already named some team's where he'd probably be a good fit. I'm not sure he has to, or even would wait around for them to make a decision. See: Barry, Brent.

K-State Spur
12-13-2008, 12:15 PM
He's not taking Hill or Mason's minutes. The only possible place minutes could come from is Michael Finley, and Pop is in butt love with him. He could clank everything for a month, play turnstile defense, dribble the ball off his leg, and get ridden off the boards by Tyron Lue, and he wouldn't lose a minute. Udoka's fucked.

well, it would be bold to assume that we go injury free the rest of the year at the wing spots - so I don't think Udoka's seen his last rotation minutes just yet.

benefactor
12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
If Udoka was serious about being a vital part of this team, he would have taken a few pointers from Matt Bonner by now.

Bonner knew that Tolliver was right there on his back fender and when Bonner showed some signs that he was the same old Bonner he allowed Tolliver to pass him. Bonner wound up in the doghouse and Tolliver was in the rotation. Just as the majority began to think Bonner might be shipped out of here, he suddenly dialed it in and played with a purpose that some people(including me) thought he was incapable of playing with. The result...Bonner is in the starting lineup and Tolliver is on the Toros. New people have come in and Ime has done the same thing Bonner did initially, which of course has landed him in the same place that Bonner landed.

It's Ime's choice now. He can pull himself up by the bootstraps and become the Ime that was there during the Hornets series or he can mope about it and wind up gone after the season or before the deadline.

SenorSpur
12-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Udoka is still one of the better rebounders and defenders on this club. With Pop's desire to play smaller lineups, Udoka still has value. As mentioned, there's a lot of season left. He's still got time to redeem himself and I'm sure he will.

exstatic
12-13-2008, 12:26 PM
If Udoka was serious about being a vital part of this team, he would have taken a few pointers from Matt Bonner by now.

Bonner knew that Tolliver was right there on his back fender and when Bonner showed some signs that he was the same old Bonner he allowed Tolliver to pass him. Bonner wound up in the doghouse and Tolliver was in the rotation. Just as the majority began to think Bonner might be shipped out of here, he suddenly dialed it in and played with a purpose that some people(including me) thought he was incapable of playing with. The result...Bonner is in the starting lineup and Tolliver is on the Toros. New people have come in and Ime has done the same thing Bonner did initially, which of course has landed him in the same place that Bonner landed.

It's Ime's choice now. He can pull himself up by the bootstraps and become the Ime that was there during the Hornets series or he can mope about it and wind up gone after the season or before the deadline.

The big difference between the scenarios is there are more minutes available at the big spots, with just Tim as a lock, and Bonner broke through, finally, in year three of his stay. Ime's only on a two year deal, and the guard/wing minutes are much more spoken for.

exstatic
12-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Udoka is still one of the better rebounders and defenders on this club. With Pop's desire to play smaller lineups, Udoka still has value. As mentioned, there's a lot of season left. He's still got time to redeem himself and I'm sure he will.

That would have been a issue last year, and the early part of this year, but Mason is good on the boards, Manu is too, and is back now, and Hill is a revelation. They can make up for Finley's usually poor effort.

Udoka's parked.