PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Daniels to the Hornets in multi-trade

alamo50
12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: December 10, 2008, 12:09 PM ET

The Washington Wizards, Memphis Grizzlies and New Orleans Hornets have agreed to a three-team trade that will bring two new guards to the Gilbert Arenas-less Wizards, according to NBA front-office sources.

The Wizards will receive New Orleans' Mike James and Memphis' Javaris Crittenton in the exchange, with the Hornets acquiring Washington's Antonio Daniels and the Grizzlies coming away with a future first-round pick.

Arenas has yet to play for the Wizards since signing a new $111 million contract in the offseason after undergoing surgery on his left knee. A firm timetable for Arenas' comeback has not been established, but he has yet to be cleared to participate in contact drills, making a return by Jan. 1 -- as Arenas initially hoped -- seem unlikely.

The Washington Post reported Wednesday morning that the pick is a conditional first-rounder that Memphis had sent to Washington in the trade to acquire Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro in the 2007 offseason. Navarro returned to club power FC Barcelona in his native country this season.

The Wizards have to release guard Dee Brown to make roster room for their new players.

According to the Post, Daniels was at Wizards practice but was pulled off the floor once the deal proceeded to the conference-call stage required for league approval.

The Grizzlies had been expected to part with at least one point guard this season after stockpiling several. Crittenton, taken 19th overall by the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2007 draft, arrived in Memphis in February as part of the Pau Gasol deal.

James had fallen out of favor in New Orleans under coach Byron Scott and hadn't played in nine of the Hornets' past 10 games. Daniels, who has been a fixture on Washington's playoff teams over the past three seasons, is averaging 5.1 points, 3.6 assists and 22.4 minutes in 13 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3759656

lebomb
12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Meh............no big deal.

alamo50
12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Just sit back and relax and watch Crittenton blossom into an All-Star the coming years in D.C.

timvp
12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Damn, that was a nice move by the Hornets. AD has been a Spurs killer in recent years and the Hornets had nothing at backup point guard.

xtremesteven33
12-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Good move by the Hornets.

Nothing spectacular, but a very sound good move. :tu

crc21209
12-10-2008, 12:53 PM
According to some people in D.C., Antonio Daniels just clangs jumpers now and hardly plays any D, and that he seems to be on his last leg. So we'll just have to see, I'd still take George Hill over A.D. any day.

hater
12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Daniels was decent a couple of years ago. but this year you can see signs of his age and # of games on his body.

ShoogarBear
12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Daniels was solid last year for the Wiz, and a key reason why they were able to do so well without Arenas.

This year, everyone is sucking so mightily it's hard to tell what the problem is.

timvp
12-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Daniels was decent a couple of years ago. but this year you can see signs of his age and # of games on his body.
He still way better than any backup point guard option the Hornets had. Plus he ups his game like five levels when going against the Spurs.

T Park
12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
God Mike James for Antonio Daniels?

Fucking Washington is retarded...

remingtonbo2001
12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Good pickup for NO.

Solid D
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Tremendous pick-up for the Hornets. The rest of the West will pay. When the Spurs go small, AD is a nice option to combat that.

Dex
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
After the Pau Debacle, I think there needs to be a validity committee for any trade proposed in the League.

I will be the head member of the Validity Committee.

I vote this trade.....not valid.

rascal
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Damn, that was a nice move by the Hornets. AD has been a Spurs killer in recent years and the Hornets had nothing at backup point guard.

Agree. Its James for Daniels for the Hornets. Daniels is a solid veteran backup pg.

Bruno
12-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I find it's a good trade for all three teams.
Crittenton was going nowhere with Memphis.
Wizards get a quite interesting prospect on the cheap. Crittenton can be a nice fit alongside Arenas. Dumping Daniels will allow them to give Crittenton more playing time.
Hornets have nothing to lose by doing this trade given that Mike James was awful. I don't know if Daniels is done or not but if he still has something left in the tank, it will be a great trade for them.

Fingaroll44
12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Antonio Daniels.... the name alone strikes fear in an opponent's heart *snicker*

jack sommerset
12-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Did memphis get anything worth while for the trade?

K-State Spur
12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
He still way better than any backup point guard option the Hornets had. Plus he ups his game like five levels when going against the Spurs.

Maybe. Although in the couple of Wizard games I've seen this year - he really looks like he's lost a step since even last year.

He is an upgrade over James and maybe he'll find another gear now that he's on a contender.

timvp
12-10-2008, 02:11 PM
They were able to obfuscate the collusion trade by quietly shipping off one of the "major" pieces of the trade. :lmao @ Laker Fans justifying the trade when it happened by hyping Crittenton into the next Kobe.

td4mvp21
12-10-2008, 02:15 PM
:wtf We need to find a stupid Eastern conference team to trade with!

2Cleva
12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
They were able to obfuscate the collusion trade by quietly shipping off one of the "major" pieces of the trade. :lmao @ Laker Fans justifying the trade when it happened by hyping Crittenton into the next Kobe.

LOL.

You're only laughing to keep from crying because SA isn't getting by LA anytime soon.

:toast

LA stole Gasol. And as Chris Rock would say "Cornbread. Ain't nothin' wrong with that!"

ClingingMars
12-10-2008, 02:32 PM
LA stole Gasol.

game set match.

fuck LA.

-Mars

Solid D
12-10-2008, 02:38 PM
obfuscate

The sound of googling and word searching.....

whottt
12-10-2008, 02:52 PM

That's a good angle I didn't think about at first...he was a Spurs Killer when he played for Seattle. And NO really didn't need another one since they already have 2 of them.

mountainballer
12-10-2008, 02:53 PM

good question. they get back a pick they likely would never had to send to Washington because of the protections. (in 2014 it would have turned into a unprotected 2nd rounder plus 1 million $).
so why did they do it?
the only answer I find is that they work on another trade and would need the 2009 pick as part of the package.
(because of the top 16 protection the chance that it goes to Washington is about 0.1%, but technically it is owned by the Wizards and so it can't be traded right now.) there were lot's of rumors that the Grizzlies are shopping also Warrick and try to get some quality veteran help. a package of for example Warrick, the (maybe only top 3 protected) 1st rounder 2009 and a salary number guy (Milicic, Buckner, Jaric) might bring back a nice player.

DROB4EVER
12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Not the scorer Mike James can be, nor the shooter, but can play the 1 or 2 and will help the hornets.

T Park
12-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Not the scorer Mike James can be, nor the shooter, but can play the 1 or 2 and will help the hornets.

Not the scor..

Mike James sucks are you kidding me!?!