PDA

View Full Version : Cavs will win the title this year

The_Game
12-10-2008, 03:09 PM
top 2 defense, the best player the world in Lebron who is playing at such a high level, good depth, good interior defense and now they have a PG who can spread the floor with his outside shooting in Mo Williams which is something they lacked last post season.

Anybody disagree?

IronMexican
12-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Right now, Boston is favored, LA is second, and Cavs are a not so distant third, imo.

xtremesteven33
12-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Favorites as of right now:

1. Celtics
2. Lakers
3. Cavaliers
4. Spurs

dirk4mvp
12-10-2008, 03:16 PM
You don't know shit about basketball, laker hater.

I. Hustle
12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
:lol

IronMexican
12-10-2008, 03:20 PM
There are some pretty level headed Laker fans now. At the beginning of the season is when all the trolls were here.

Lakers_55
12-10-2008, 03:27 PM
There are some pretty level headed Laker fans now. At the beginning of the season is when all the trolls were here.

Yeah, there are plenty of us nice guys around. I grew up in Southern California, so I took to the Lakers. Were I from elsewhere, I would probably like another team. It's kind of fun being a fan of one of the most hated teams in sports and being accepted as a decent member on the forum of our main western comptetition.

As I have stated before, I don't hate or dislike any player or team. I like basketball first, the Lakers second.

Back to the question at hand....Will the Cavs win it all? They could. We've only played a quarter of the regular season so it's up to them to keep up what they are doing.

SpursDynasty
12-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Not really. LeBron can shoot the ball, but not much else. He can't hit free throws. I'd say the Spurs with a full lineup over the first 20 games would definitely be about 18-2 right now and the favorites to win it all. The three favorites are:

1. Spurs
2. Celtics
3. Cavs

IronMexican
12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
SD, are the Hawks still contenders? What about the Jazz?

Thunder Dan
12-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Not really. LeBron can shoot the ball, but not much else. He can't hit free throws. I'd say the Spurs with a full lineup over the first 20 games would definitely be about 18-2 right now and the favorites to win it all. The three favorites are:

1. Spurs
2. Celtics
3. Cavs

yeah shooting 79.4% from the line is really going to hurt a team so bad that they can't win a title

SpursDynasty
12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
SD, are the Hawks still contenders? What about the Jazz?

I'd say the Hawks and Jazz have a better shot at winning it this year than the Lakers.

RedsLakers24
12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I wouldnt be suprise if they did but i dont believe they are going to win it all, once the playoffs start team defense will adjust to Lebron and his teamates, just like San Antonio did in the finals, but also they have a great chance because all they have to do is beat boston cuz everyone else in the east is sux

The_Game
12-10-2008, 04:05 PM
defenses will adjust to Lebron? I highly doubt it....the guy is unstoppable IMO...bron now has good role players around him and to be honest they have the best D in the NBA...it's simply lockdown defense. better than what boston played last year

Thunder Dan
12-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I wouldnt be suprise if they did but i dont believe they are going to win it all, once the playoffs start team defense will adjust to Lebron and his teamates, just like San Antonio did in the finals, but also they have a great chance because all they have to do is beat boston cuz everyone else in the east is sux

does anyone think that maybe the reason the Cavs are 18-3 is because Lebron isn't their whole offense like it was last year and 2 years ago. I mean it's just a crazy idea, but I think teams are having trouble beating them because the 'shut down Lebron' defense isn't working anymore. But what do I know

sook
12-10-2008, 04:10 PM
When you have Lebron James on your team, you simply win games.

Good luck to the cavs but I'm not completely sold that they can beat boston if they want to get to the finals. The worst thing the Cavs will have going for them if they make the finals is SA.

eisfeld
12-10-2008, 04:15 PM
If the Cavs manage to come out of the East and face a team not named San Antonio then I think they have pretty good chances at winning it all.

lil_penny
12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
cavs right now and celts look like championship teams.. lakers imo have just as much chance as any other team at winning it all this year, and thats not saying much.. maybe when they start figuring out how to win on the road they may have a chance but right now not a chance in hell.

TheMadHatter
12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Lebron will not be able to master the Celtics because he cannot:

1.) Shoot jumpers reliably (doesn't look like that has improved at all this season)
2.) Cannot shoot free throws (pathetic)

The Celtics contain Bron better than almost any team in the league, if they are getting beat it's because the other guys step it up bigtime. I just don't see Mo Williams being the difference maker in the playoffs, sorry.

Unless someone shows up in the WC the Lakers will likely make it back, even with the defense as craptastic as it is.

And can we stop this title prediction BS 20 games into the fucking season? Anything can happen.

bostonguy
12-10-2008, 04:33 PM
The Cavs are 1 scoring bigman from the power forward position away from being complete. If they are able to make a move for that, they are truly set. Big Z is having a fine year but it'd be nice to get him another scorer by his side. Wally,Big Ben,either Gibson/West should be enough to land them someone by the deadline.

The_Game
12-10-2008, 04:40 PM

1.) Shoot jumpers reliably (doesn't look like that has improved at all this season)

The Celtics contain Bron better than almost any team in the league, if they are getting beat it's because the other guys step it up bigtime. I just don't see Mo Williams being the difference maker in the playoffs, sorry.

Unless someone shows up in the WC the Lakers will likely make it back, even with the defense as craptastic as it is.

And can we stop this title prediction BS 20 games into the fucking season? Anything can happen.

wow you are way off base in both points, Lebron's jump shot has improved...justbecause he doesn't shoot threes doesn't mean his shot isn't better and it shows how clueless you are bout his free-throws as lebron is shooting around 80% this year from the line.

Cavs took the celtics to 7 games last year without Mo Williams. there is no reason why they can't beat them and win it all this year.

hhml
12-10-2008, 04:55 PM
As of right now, the favorites are:

1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. LA (a distant behind the top 2)

The Lakers don't play a lick of D. Until LA shows that they can play consistent D, they aren't going to win it. Cavs have a good chance of beating Boston, and if they can somehow get HCA, I say the Cavs will be the favorite to win. But I still believe Boston will have the best record again this year.

Thunder Dan
12-10-2008, 04:56 PM

you act as if the Cavs are so far behind the Celtics, when in reality they were a rebound away from beating them last year with zero offense.

Also, the point of getting a PG was so Lebron wouldn't have to shoot 3s. He plays around the basket without the ball in his hands which is where he is better.

Reck
12-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Dude, no.

When the Cavs start beating good teams then I may be incline to say maybe.

As of now they're beating scrub teams.

Thunder Dan
12-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Dude, no.

which the great Lakers and Celtics can't seem to do

Reck
12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I dont really care for Celtics or The Lakers.

If I had to choose between those 3 teams I would gladly take Clevaland. But the fact still remains the Cavs have yet to play real PO teams contenders.

EDIT:

Other then Boston New Orleans and Detroit obviously.

IronMexican
12-10-2008, 05:05 PM

How can we evem comment on LeBron's J when Kobe's has been worse.

Thunder Dan
12-10-2008, 05:10 PM

If I had to choose between those 3 teams I would gladly take Clevaland. But the fact still remains the Cavs have yet to play real PO teams contenders.

EDIT:

so Detroit is more of a contender than Denver and Dallas?

Reck
12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
so Detroit is more of a contender than Denver and Dallas?

Not right now they're not.

They started on a decent pace and ever since the Billup's trade that team has gone downhill from there. And Dallas you wont play them if you get to the finals cuz Mavs wont make it past the first round.

Thunder Dan
12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Not right now they're not.

They started on a decent pace and ever since the Billup's trade that team has gone downhill from there. And Dallas you wont play them if you get to the finals cuz Mavs wont make it past the first round.

you said the only playoff contenders the Cavs have played are Boston, Detroit and New Orleans- and I asked because they beat Dallas (in Dallas) and Denver by like 20

Warlord23
12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
The Cavs look good now, but let's not jump the gun. This group needs to be playing at a high level when it matters, and we are a long way away from May/June.

I'll give the Cavs their props after 70 games if they compile a good list of road wins against quality teams.

Reck
12-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that was then. Dallas was just starting to gel when you beat them. They have gotten better since your team beat them. Denver..yeah I'll give you that one.

Ghazi
12-10-2008, 05:42 PM
What people don't seem to realize is that even against bad teams, blowing them out is a sign of quality basketball. What's the Cavs margin of victory right now, +13? That's insane. The only other teams that could have such a high margin with the Cavs schedule is the Lakers and Celtics.

It's not as if the Cavs are TRYING to blow out the teams either, it's just a natural byproduct of their solid basketball.

1st in offensive efficiency, 2nd in defensive efficiency, one of the best rebounding teams, the best player in the game.... don't try to dismiss the Cavs start as a byproduct of easy scheduling... they will win 55+ (prolly 60+) games this year and will be in the top 2 in the east.

Those are the three best teams in the NBA right now.

TheMadHatter
12-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Lebron's jumpshot is still shaky, it's not dependable. If you can take away his driving abilities he will not, on most nights, be able to beat you with his outside game the way a player like Kobe or Pierce can. And his free throw shooting is abominable for a superstar perimeter player.

I still think the Cavs are a legit PF away from a title. They have the defense to win it all.

Ghazi
12-10-2008, 09:20 PM
WHen you have Lebron, you're alloewd to have roster holes. They dont need a legit power forward.

DrHouse
12-10-2008, 10:11 PM
They don't need a PF against MOST teams. But to win a championship you need to beat the BEST teams, which the Cavs have been unable to do this season. BOS will exploit them in the exact same way as they did last year, and if Ray Allen actually shows up it might go in less than 7 games.

Armando
12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
They don't need a PF against MOST teams. But to win a championship you need to beat the BEST teams, which the Cavs have been unable to do this season. BOS will exploit them in the exact same way as they did last year, and if Ray Allen actually shows up it might go in less than 7 games.

The Cavs need HCA if they hope to beat the Celtics if not I don't see them winning in Beantown. And Jesus Shuttlesworth is actually playing better then last season. I am still not sold on Cleveland I still say Boston until them or another team eliminates them in the playoffs.

JoeTait75
12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Dude, no.

True. But there are a lot of scrub teams in this league to beat up on. One important step toward being a championship-caliber team is to consistently beat the teams you should beat, and that's what the Cavaliers are doing- really, for the first time since LeBron arrived.

As for the original post, I like our team- a lot- but we need a little more veteran frontcourt depth before the playoffs.

Armando
12-10-2008, 11:15 PM
True. But there are a lot of scrub teams in this league to beat up on. One important step toward being a championship-caliber team is to consistently beat the teams you should beat, and that's what the Cavaliers are doing- really, for the first time since LeBron arrived.

As for the original post, I like our team- a lot- but we need a little more veteran frontcourt depth before the playoffs.

Joe Smith was solid for them.

JoeTait75
12-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Joe Smith was solid for them.

That's the guy I have in mind. I wonder if he's got some kind of buyout clause in his contract or something- not sure, but Joe would fit in awfully well with this team. Really don't think we need much more than that.

KidCongo
12-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Lebron's jumpshot is still shaky, it's not dependable. If you can take away his driving abilities he will not, on most nights, be able to beat you with his outside game the way a player like Kobe or Pierce can. And his free throw shooting is abominable for a superstar perimeter player.

I still think the Cavs are a legit PF away from a title. They have the defense to win it all.

The jumpshot is streaky, yes. The Ft's have improved, 79.4% is not abominable.

IronMexican
12-11-2008, 12:51 AM

You have to remember how shitty LeBron played in the first two games of that series, AND it still went 7. If LeBron could play like LeBron the entire series, they can definitely beat Boston, LA or anyone.

DrHouse
12-11-2008, 12:59 AM
You have to remember how shitty LeBron played in the first two games of that series, AND it still went 7. If LeBron could play like LeBron the entire series, they can definitely beat Boston, LA or anyone.

You think Ray Allen could possibly play that shitty ever again? He was completely non existent that entire series.

lefty
12-11-2008, 01:01 AM
NBA title?
No

East?
Yes

Repounded by Spurs?
Yes

dirk4mvp
12-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Spurs wouldn't stand a chance with the way the Cavaliers are playing.

IronMexican
12-11-2008, 01:05 AM
You think Ray Allen could possibly play that shitty ever again? He was completely non existent that entire series.

Ray played great in game 7. I think he had something like 18 points and all 3 pointers or something. So he played great in the game it mattered most(Which was also the tightest game) LeBron now adds a legit PG, and Boston lost James Posey, and PJ Brown(Who played great in the 4th in game 7)

RsxPiimp
12-11-2008, 01:42 AM

EDIT:

which happens to be all losses...go figure. cavs aint for real. they're going to make life miserable for the celtics in the ECF, but boston would beat those cavs in 6 or 7 this year.

RsxPiimp
12-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Spurs wouldn't stand a chance with the way the Cavaliers are playing.

lol. yeah...right.