PDA

View Full Version : Portis vs. Zorn

ShoogarBear
12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Now, some fun for Redskin haters:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/09/AR2008120902829.html?sub=AR

Portis Sounds Off on Zorn For Benching, Play-Calling

Redskins Coach Defends Decision On Running Back

By Dan Steinberg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 10, 2008; Page E01

"We got a genius for a head coach, I don't know, I'm sure he on top of things.

He's got everything figured out. Hey, that's up to him. All I can do is when he calls a play is go out and try to execute to the best of my ability."

Redskins running back Clinton Portis

A day after Washington Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said Clinton Portis's lack of practice contributed to his benching during Sunday's 24-10 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, the running back fired back yesterday, pointedly criticizing the coach's communication and decision-making.

In his weekly radio appearance on WTEM-980's "The John Thompson Show," Portis dismissed as "B.S." Zorn's suggestion that missing practice had hurt the execution of his assignments. He said he was at every meeting and every practice last week, noted teammates had played on Sunday after missing practice the week before and guaranteed he knows the playbook better than any player besides the quarterbacks.

"When have I missed a meeting?" Portis asked rhetorically. "Let me start missing meetings. Let me not come out [to] practice, let me sit my [rear] in the training room if I don't know what's going on. . . . If my coaches don't feel like I can get it done, put me on the sidelines. You feel like I can help this team, put me on the field, and that's all I've got to say about it. . . . I don't have to confront them. They know what they've got. They know what's standing on the sideline."

Appearing on the same station an hour later, Zorn said he understood why the star running back felt like he had been benched and repeated his earlier explanation that backup Ladell Betts was more precisely releasing from pass protection into route running.

Portis "was getting out on routes, but it wasn't exact and quick," Zorn said. "I thought, 'Okay, here's an opportunity for us to get Ladell in, who has practiced, and he knows it just because he's rehearsed it, rehearsed it.' I think [Portis is] a confident player, and he would believe that he could do it without reps. I just made the decision not to give him that chance."

Portis, 27, the NFL's third-leading rusher with 1,260 yards, has been hampered by injuries throughout the season, including knee, hip and neck ailments. He attends every practice at Redskins Park but has rarely participated in drills on the field for the past month.
By turns cynical, passionate and resigned during his radio appearance, Portis referred to Zorn as a "genius" when asked about possible offensive adjustments, and sarcastically suggested perhaps he should be put on season-ending injured reserve.

"If I can run through the week, I'd practice," he said. "If I can't, then I ain't. And I'm not gonna force myself to go onto a field and do something crazy and then all of the sudden I'm out. What I need to be around for is Sundays, and that's what I try to be around for. So I mean, if you've got a problem with me not practicing and can't do it that way, maybe you feel like you need to sever ties, split ties with me? Split ties with me. But don't sit here and throw me out like I don't pay attention, like I don't know what's going on, like I'm making mistakes, I'm the problem."

Portis led the NFL in rushing for much of this season, but his production has flagged as the offense stagnated during the team's 1-4 skid. He rushed for 143 yards against the Seattle Seahawks on Nov. 23. But he managed just 22 in a loss to the Giants on Nov. 30, and on Sunday had 11 carries for 32 yards, including only one second-half carry. He spent most of the second half on the bench.

When asked about the benching, Zorn has cited Washington's second-half deficit against the Ravens and the need to throw combined with Betts's pass protection and route-running preparation. It was an explanation Portis emphatically rejected.

"One day it's, 'Chip [block] on your way out,' then if you don't chip and you get out and the quarterback gets sacked, it's like, 'Oh, you need to help this man out,' " Portis said. "So they don't know what they want. They want you to chip, they want you to block, [quarterback Jason Campbell is] on his [rear] all game long, you're trying to stay in and help, and then it's, 'Oh, you should have gone out, they was coming to you.' "

Zorn and Portis have previously clashed this season; television cameras showed the coach chewing out Portis during a win Oct. 26 over the Detroit Lions. That was explained as a miscommunication about substitution issues. Yesterday, Portis again expressed confusion about the lines of communication.

"If anybody got a problem with me, they need to talk to me. I don't know what's going on," he said. "You know, when things going good, you're getting praised. I don't know if people getting aggravated with me getting attention. I don't know what it is."

Portis said he was "totally healthy after not playing against Baltimore," and Zorn agreed, saying he expected a full week of practice out of his running back. The coach said Portis would be used in his normal role as an every-down back Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, a game the 7-6 Redskins must win to maintain their increasingly slim playoff hopes.

Portis was also asked how he would like to be used going forward. "It ain't rocket science how to use me," he said.
"They can figure that out. If they want to put the ball in my hands, I can try to help the team win. They don't, I'll try to do whatever I can. If I need to cheer Ladell on, I'll cheer Ladell on. I'm not gonna be bitter about the situation."

[I]Staff writer Barry Svrluga contributed to this report.

samikeyp
12-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Zorn will lose that battle.

dirk4mvp
12-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Portis is a warrior. He had every right to say what he did imo.

ShoogarBear
12-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Zorn is on treacherous ground here, since already there's a rumor floating that Dan Synder is probing Cowher's availibility for next year. Portis is a great player, but he definitely has some Allen Iverson-like qualities. Tom Boswell's column sort of summed it up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/09/AR2008120903010.html?sid=ST2008120903052&s_pos=

Truth, Consequences

By Thomas Boswell
Wednesday, December 10, 2008; Page E01
For NFL coaches, honesty is the worst policy. Their rule of thumb, almost to a man, is: Try everything else first. The truth is always a Hail Mary.

But every rule has its exception. Meet Jim Zorn. From the day he arrived to coach the Redskins, he's said what's on his mind, in detail, with footnotes. He loves analysis and nuance. He's a perfectionist, even when it comes to his own opinions. Somewhere, he went wrong. Maybe a blitzing linebacker broke the fib button on his lips long ago.

Even about his best player, superstar running back Clinton Portis, Zorn has always told the truth, the whole truth and, maybe, quite a bit more of the truth than circumstances required.

Now, he's paying the price. Or, maybe not. Maybe he's in the process of proving that candor can work.

Either way, we're going to get an answer in the last three weeks of this season about the blunt-spoken approach to dealing with egocentric 1,500-yard rushers. Preliminary results from the blast sight look catastrophic.

By now, you've heard the casualty report from Portis's eruption yesterday on John Thompson's radio show. How often does the transcript of a star ripping his coach run 800 words? How do I cut the legs out from under thee, dear coach, let me count the ways? But there's background here.

Zorn has, inadvertently or to show his authority, been getting Portis's goat since training camp. Instead of simply praising Portis for staying in town for offseason workouts, Zorn pointed out that Portis had an "extrinsic motivation" for his nobility; he was negotiating a new contract with $16 million up front. So the workouts helped Portis get ready for a superior season, but they also made C.P. a whole lot richer. Was that last point too much information?

In October, when Portis took himself out of a game in Detroit with an equipment problem, then put himself back in -- something Joe Gibbs allowed the last four years -- Zorn blew up at Portis on the sideline in a face-to-face yelling match. Rookie coach vs. eventual 10,000-yard rusher? Or former pretty-good NFL quarterback who never got, or expected, special treatment vs. all-NFL diva?

Then, two weeks ago, Portis mentioned, self-servingly but accurately, that he'd almost been knocked unconscious in a game and had "blood running down both my arms and my legs." A day later, Zorn quipped, "Was it gushing?"
The last cut was the deepest. With the Redskins down 17-0 in the second half in Baltimore on Sunday night, Zorn benched Portis for the rest of the game. Afterward, most coaches, if not all, would cover the back of their star. Okay, they'd lie. They'd invent a minor injury. Or they'd point out the 17-point deficit dictated that Ledell Betts, the best pass catcher out of the backfield, was needed.

Instead, Zorn came dangerously close to his view of the truth. Portis had missed lots of practices and wasn't as prepared to identify and pick up blitzes, or run precise and often-practiced pass routes as Betts. So the coach benched his star.

Zorn didn't use exactly those words. But that's what Portis, and his teammates, heard. When the team watched films on Monday, Zorn didn't seek out Portis for a kiss-and-make-up chat as many coaches would have. So, by yesterday, the fuse reached the ego dynamite. The various bits and pieces of coach and player are still coming back to earth.

But what no one in this town has seen is the best Redskins player undermine a rookie head coach from top to bottom. To do it with the team in a 1-4 tailspin, and barely on the edge of playoff contention, is double damage.

Zorn didn't ask for Portis, he inherited him from Gibbs. Zorn didn't ask for a flamboyant prima donna who pops off about his offensive line's play or wears outrageous postgame outfits to celebrate himself. But that's what he got. The job is to coach 'em, not change 'em.

Gibbs knew exactly how to coach Portis. The template, over four years, including two Portis-led trips to the playoffs, was there for Zorn to copy or ignore. He tore it up.

Gibbs praised Portis in public because he deserved it and because, being insecure, Portis needed it. Gibbs stroked him regularly. A man who wears gold shoes on the field and gives himself exotic nicknames craves attention.

As for practice, Gibbs praised Portis when he came and emphasized that nobody accused him of goldbricking when he didn't. Is that really what Gibbs thought? Close enough for NFL coaching.

Above all, Gibbs grasped that, if you ever have to take Portis to the woodshed, you better do it in private. You don't yell at him on the sideline for the world to see. You don't make light of his bleeding or discuss his contract. If you bench him with John Madden in the booth, you better seek him out for a chat, pronto. Players earn respect, each in their own amount. C.P. has earned a ton.

Gibbs knew that Portis is a player who ticks. On the field, he explodes for scores. Off it, he can blow up directly on you. If Gibbs, the Hall of Famer, knew Portis's potential for combustion, yet worked around him just as he always did with John Riggins, shouldn't Zorn have sensed the danger?

There's a world of difference between a coach who never tells a lie (Gibbs) and a coach who gives himself the prerogative to tell the truth (Zorn). The first illustrates character. The second borders on being foolhardy.
Ever since he arrived, Zorn has obsessed, as he should, about installing his West Coast offense, adapting his scheme to Gibbs's old personnel and micro-managing the attack like an offensive coordinator. That's fine. But limited.

The powerful lesson of both Gibbs tenures -- one as a great coach, the other as a merely good one -- was that coaching is about dealing with people more than anything else. Motivating them, understanding them deeply, melding them and, in many cases, accommodating their quirks and needs.

Long ago, Walter Lippmann wrote, "The genius of a good leader is to leave behind him a situation which common sense, without the grace of genius, can deal with successfully."

When he left, Gibbs thought he had met that standard, especially in the unified character of the Redskins' locker room that he had carefully built. Now that room is in danger of splintering.

A little more common sense, and a little less self-indulgent honesty, might have prevented it.

chode_regulator
12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
edited after reading the above posts

rediskins suck!!!

samikeyp
12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I have no problem with what Portis said but I do have a problem with where he said it. He should have kept it in house. That is the adult, respectful and sportsman thing to do. Not that those things matter much anymore.

PixelPusher
12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Portis vs. Zorn
lol. That's a thead title sure to trip up the dyslexic and/or horny.

LakerHater
12-10-2008, 09:50 PM
How long till TO vs. anyone in the Dallas organization!!!:lol

Or did he already do it (a pussy way) through Deion Sanders!! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif

samikeyp
12-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Or did he already do it (a pussy way) through Deion Sanders!! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif

He has taken that pussy route from time to time. He gets no pass from me just because he plays for Dallas.

Whisky Dog
12-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Zorn can kiss Portis ass!!

ClingingMars
12-10-2008, 10:54 PM
:corn: :corn: :corn: :corn:

-Mars

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-10-2008, 10:56 PM

If it comes down to the last game against Philly and they lose, then I expect nothing but the best from TO.

I already have my fingers crossed.

Biggems
12-10-2008, 10:57 PM
There is a difference between Portis and AI. AI just doesnt like practice, and that is why he will never win. you have to practice to get better individually and as a team...to build chemistry and trust in one another. AI is all about AI. Portis is a RB in the NFL, a RB that carries a heavy load. He takes a ton of pounding. It is understandable if he is limited in practice late in the season, as to keep him fresh for games. IMO, he should still be able to do walk throughs.