PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Win On Near-Empty Tank

duncan228
12-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Spurs win on near-empty tank (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_win_on_near-empty_tank.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Their legs were gone, and so was most of their lead. But Manu Ginobili wouldn't let the Spurs' winning streak end.

The shooting guard took over down the stretch Wednesday night, helping the Spurs come up with enough plays to fend off the frisky Atlanta Hawks, 95-89, at the AT&T Center. The victory was the Spurs' fourth in a row, matching their longest winning streak of the season. It came long on heart, but short on style points.

Coming less than 24 hours after Tuesday night's double-overtime slog at Dallas, the Spurs would take a triumph any way it would come.

Ginobili had 27 points, and Michael Finley made three key baskets and assisted on another in the final 6:34 as the Spurs prolonged the Hawks' misery in San Antonio. It was their 11th straight loss in the Alamo City, a streak dating to the 1996-97 season.

Tim Duncan, playing in his 1,000th game including the playoffs, logged 19 points and 11 rebounds for the Spurs (13-8). Finley scored 15 points, while Matt Bonner chipped in a season-high 13 rebounds.

Joe Johnson had 29 points to pace Atlanta.

Ginobili provided the game's most important basket in the final minute.

Joe Johnson had just brought the Hawks (12-9) within two with a basket in the lane. Ginobili answered on the other end, blowing by Flip Murray and pirouetting past Al Horford for a layup with 32.2 seconds left.

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Props to Fin. I would have predicted that out of everyone he would have been the most likely to be without legs. Guess that off-season conditioning paid off.

raspsa
12-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Props to Fin. I would have predicted that out of everyone he would have been the most likely to be without legs. Guess that off-season conditioning paid off.

Yeah, he's been doing great.. specially appreciate his efforts on defense. As long as he continues this type of effort, Pop will continue give him minutes.. Pop really trusts and respects Mike.

Manufan909
12-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Yeah, he's been doing great.. specially appreciate his efforts on defense. As long as he continues this type of effort, Pop will continue give him minutes.. Pop really trusts and respects Mike.

Maybe a bit too, much, but he easily was the 3rd/4th best player tonight, behind Timmy, Manu, and possibly Bonner.

honestfool84
12-11-2008, 02:59 AM
i think it's a safe bet to see Pop knows what he is doing when he plays fin.

i mean, that genius won four titles...

Dex
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Maybe a bit too, much, but he easily was the 3rd/4th best player tonight, behind Timmy, Manu, and possibly Bonner.

Finley has been around this league for a long time, playing at the superstar level for most of it. It's easy to forget that for about a decade in Dallas, Finley WAS their Parker or Ginobili. He was one of the guys expected to win games for them, night in and night out.

Obviously, age has caught up with Finley too much to play at that level anymore, but the wisdom doesn't go away. If Finley is hitting his shots and holding his own on defense, he becomes a very valuable commodity to this club. Even I was skeptical at his extension this summer, but it looks like he's still got some gas left in the tank.

Not to mention that Finley took less pay (albeit still being comped by Cuban) and turned down several suitors to come and play for San Antonio, and has had that justified by winning his first championship. I think it's pretty understandable that Pop and Mike have a pretty good respect for one another.

Anti.Hero
12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3759015

Good looking out Walton.

TampaDude
12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Finley was in the zone last night...he really made some clutch plays!

MoSpur
12-11-2008, 01:57 PM
That game was boring for 40 minutes.

Finley looked very good in the beginning as well.

Yuixafun
12-11-2008, 03:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3759015

Good looking out Walton.

"The Magic haven't beat a winning team all year.."

'they beat who they played, its not like they picked their own schedule..'

(laughing)"It seems like they did."

Walton is a funny guy sometimes. His support of San Antonio is sincere and appreciated.