PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Delay Causes Spurs To Have Short Rest (And Pop On The Terry Flagrant)

duncan228
12-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Delay causes Spurs to have short rest (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Delay_causes_Spurs_to_have_short_rest.html)
By Mike Monroe

It wasn't as bad as sitting on a runway in New Orleans for eight hours the night before a playoff game, but the Spurs spent about an extra hour on the tarmac at Dallas' Love Field after their Tuesday night victory over the Dallas Mavericks to their charter aircraft could be de-iced.

Coming after a double-overtime game that lasted two hours and 44 minutes, it meant an arrival back in San Antonio at 2:20 a.m., giving them a short rest before their back-to-back game against the Atlanta Hawks.

“I'm glad they de-iced,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “but 2:20 was different than the one o'clock we were supposed to get in.”

Short work: Spurs' defensive ace Bruce Bowen couldn't suppress a laugh as he reflected on being asked to put a stop to the offensive roll of Dallas guard J. J. Barea, who admits to standing more than an inch under 6-feet, despite being listed at 6-1.

Popovich has assigned Bowen, a perennial member of the NBA All-Defensive team, to shut down some of the league's most potent scorers of all sizes, from forwards Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki, to point guards Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups.

Barea, though, was a different sort of challenge. The Mavericks' guard scored 21, but got 19 of them before Bowen took over defensive duty on him.

“I'd have to say he's the shortest, for sure,” Bowen said. “I just tried to do what I could to get him out of his rhythm, use my size to try and keep him from getting into the paint.”

Popovich said he had no hesitation putting Bowen on Barea.

“Bruce takes great pride, as we all know, in being able to deter people from doing what they want to do,” Popovich said. “He's done it for a lot of years, and done it well.”

No Call: Popovich said the Spurs were convinced Jason Terry's flagrant foul on Tony Parker in Tuesday's game in Dallas should have been ruled a flagrant foul, category two, rather than a flagrant one, which was ruled at the time. A flagrant two carries automatic ejection.

The Spurs did not, however, call the NBA office on Wednesday to register a complaint.

“We thought it could very easily have been judged a flagrant two,” Popovich said, “but the league handles that stuff on their own. They're up on that stuff.

“They don't need to be prodded. They look at all those things and make a decision. They don't need info from the peanut gallery to figure those things out.”

hater
12-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Pop is a motherfuckin genius :D

tp2021
12-11-2008, 12:15 AM
I'd hate to get on Pop's bad side.

Hey ST...
The Spurs are 1 game out of the 2nd seed.

:smokin

lefty
12-11-2008, 12:16 AM
They don't need info from the peanut gallery to figure those things out.

lefty
12-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Spurs' defensive ace Bruce Bowen couldn't suppress a laugh as he reflected on being asked to put a stop to the offensive roll of Dallas guard J. J. Barea, who admits to standing more than an inch under 6-feet, despite being listed at 6-1.

:lmao

superbigtime
12-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Pop is a motherfuckin genius :D

He has his moments.

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Almost no NBA player wants to be listed as under 6-foot.

Chris Paul is listed at 6-foot, but I've heard several times he's closer to 5-11.

Isiah Thomas was listed as 6-1, but I'm pretty sure he was under 6, too.

duncan228
12-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Almost no NBA player wants to be listed as under 6-foot.

Are you saying size matters in this league?

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 12:23 AM

The important question is, are you saying that?

duncan228
12-11-2008, 12:24 AM
The important question is, are you saying that?

You brought it up, not me. :lol

milkyway21
12-11-2008, 12:30 AM
No Call: Popovich said the Spurs were convinced Jason Terry's flagrant foul on Tony Parker in Tuesday's game in Dallas should have been ruled a flagrant foul, category two, rather than a flagrant one, which was ruled at the time. A flagrant two carries automatic ejection.

hope Tony is okay.

i hate you JTerry :ihit

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 12:36 AM
You brought it up, not me. :lol

It only came up because of you.

hater
12-11-2008, 12:38 AM
^ oh shit...

duncan228
12-11-2008, 12:39 AM

:lmao Touche Silly Bear.

tp2021
12-11-2008, 01:05 AM

That's what he said.

tp2021
12-11-2008, 01:07 AM

...Touch...Silly Bear.

...size matters in this league...

I tried.

Manufan909
12-11-2008, 01:54 AM
CIA Pop sending a message to Stern!!!:lol

m33p0
12-11-2008, 06:53 AM
somewhere in Manhattan, David Stern is seething. :lol