PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened to the Lakers???

DrHouse
12-11-2008, 12:10 AM
I've never seen a team regress like this so quickly. They literally went from a top defense to absolutely no defense. They are playing with no effort or intensity on the floor.

This team's defense is even worse than last season at this point, and that's saying something. The Lakers won't even make it to the Finals the way they are playing right now.

hater
12-11-2008, 12:16 AM
a big factor is Fisher regressing hugely.

FIsher was sort of a glue last year. this year he seems OLD. Lakers need a trade if they really want a title this year.

lefty
12-11-2008, 12:18 AM
How' bout...

Stern sent them to the Finals in 2008, which has made them overrated ?

SmellyFeet
12-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Watch Allanon come here telling us how this is just "one of those games", lakers still gonna win 70+, etc.....

Shit, we have no D.

IronMexican
12-11-2008, 12:31 AM
We got that Cowboys syndrome.

kcplayboi_26
12-11-2008, 12:35 AM
We got that Cowboys syndrome.

lol

tomtom
12-11-2008, 12:35 AM
wow stoudemire sucks, letting pau get 11-14 so far

kcplayboi_26
12-11-2008, 12:37 AM

nothing new, pau eats him up everytime, literally

Reck
12-11-2008, 12:37 AM

You suck.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

DrHouse
12-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Pau has been the only bright spot on the team. He is literally beasting it at the PF spot on this team.

The Lakers need to move Odom for a Gerald Wallace or a Hinrich who can help plug up the perimeter.

kcplayboi_26
12-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Pau has been the only bright spot on the team. He is literally beasting it at the PF spot on this team.

The Lakers need to move Odom for a Gerald Wallace or a Hinrich who can help plug up the perimeter.

id like gerald wallace on that team

IronMexican
12-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Pau would be my #2 choice for MVP this season behind LeBron, no joke.

LA24
12-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Wtf happened to the Lakers ? Well, they're struggling out there.
But then again, it's December !!!!!! Wake me up in March/April.

I'd rather the Lakers peak in April and not in November.

LA24
12-11-2008, 01:07 AM

Thank God for Paul !!

SmellyFeet
12-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Never been a more fitting nick name than "Odumb".

JackArse
12-11-2008, 01:18 AM
the fact that the lakers played 15 games over the first 5 weeks with only 2 back to backs, is what happened. now they're catching up to the rest of the league in number of games and getting tired.

LA24
12-11-2008, 01:23 AM
the fact that the lakers played 15 games over the first 5 weeks with only 2 back to backs, is what happened. now they're catching up to the rest of the league in number of games and getting tired.

Believe me, they are NOT tired. This is a relatively young team.
It's more a lack of effort from thinking they're better than they really are.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Believe me, they are NOT tired. This is a relatively young team.
It's more a lack of effort from thinking they're better than they really are.

yeah, going on a 20-3 run does that to you...

Seriously though, anyone that actually believed the lakers would keep up with how they were playing, were kidding themselves.

JackArse
12-11-2008, 01:32 AM
uh huh.

SmellyFeet
12-11-2008, 01:33 AM
The Lakers really dont get up for weak teams like the team we played tonight. Judge this team by the so-callled good teams that we've played... Portland, Houston, Hornets. All team we were focused and blew them out. The Celtics are in trouble come the 25th. What people fail to realize is that the Celtics have won a lot of close games and have had to come back in quite a few. Both teams will get a good guage where they stand come christmas.

Start thinking about new excuses for when lakers get owned by boston, a "strong" team.

cobbler
12-11-2008, 01:45 AM
:bang
How' bout...

Stern sent them to the Finals in 2008, which has made them overrated ?

...and the broken record continues to spin. Pathetic!:bang

TheMACHINE
12-11-2008, 01:46 AM
this is the kind of talk that happens when you're expected to beat teams by 40 every game and only beat teams by 6 or 7 points.

You guys, Lakers fans and haters, can analyze your brain out. The record stands for itself. As long as the we dont see the Pacers or the Kings in the Playoffs, im good for now. ;)

cobbler
12-11-2008, 01:50 AM

Absurd! They are implementing a new defensive strategy. Teams have now had a chace to watch film and adjust. The Lakers have not figured out how to counter it as of yet. Combine that with getting full of themselves and playing to the level of the opponents, lack of killer instinct, as well as opposing teams stepping up and you have the PATHETIC Lakers of the last 6-7 games. They will make the proper adjustments over the course of the season and be there when it counts.

Showtime24 LAKERS
12-11-2008, 01:56 AM
The Lakers don't need any changes. They just have to want it. Right now, it just looks like they are out there just to be there. They just need that same defensive mentality and fire power like they did in the beginning of the season when they were blowing teams out by twenty. They are showing no life in them. No rebounding no defense. If i were Phil I would find a way to get his team pumped up again.

YellowFever
12-11-2008, 02:59 AM
WTF is wrong with the Lake Show?

Hmm..let me count the ways...

1) Fisher got old in a hurry.

2) Farmar thinks the triangle offense is shit and rather play Dantoni's offense.

3) Bynum is so intent on making the All-Star game that he turns into a black hole whenever the ball reaches him anywhere within 15 feet.

4) Odom is being Odom

5) Kobe has regressed to the point where he wants his numbers before getting the others involved and it ain't working anymore.

6) They make behind the back, underneath the legs, razzle dazzle passes when a simple chest-pass will do.

7) This as-yet-unproven-but-nice-on-paper team is believeing in the hype and they think they can turn it on and off anytime they want to.

Let me know if you need more.

Medvedenko
12-11-2008, 03:00 AM
They have the players to adjust this latest defensive slide....Also Kobe's been shooting horrible the last 5 games and one he breaks out of the slump it will be back to blowing teams out. I love it when I hear people worry about the lakers in December....each game is a learning experience for this young group.

Allanon
12-11-2008, 03:25 AM
It's hard to be worried with a team that's 17-3 and still on pace for 70 wins. If they lose again in December, then I'll worry.

Fact is that Kobe's in a shooting slump and that makes everybody around him worse. Once Kobe starts shooting well again, everybody else will pick it up.

Bad wins and bad losses make them better. I'd rather have them get it out of their system now.

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 04:44 AM
Nothing that a Odom/Fisher for Mayo/Gay trade wouldn't fix.

Lakers_55
12-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Hey, I am not worried. The only consistent Laker season from start to finish was 1971-72, and even that had a few bumps in the road. Back in 2000-2001, Shaq and Kobe were ready to kill each other midway through the season. It was in the papers nearly every day. Come playoff time, we nearly ran the field, going 15-1. Or was it 16-1? I don't remember. Let the Laker haters have their fun.

TheMadHatter
12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm not terribly worried either. It's December.

The defense will tighten up to what it was when they get some time to actually practice. Their schedule in the last week has been game, travel, game, travel, game, travel. They had nice long breaks between games to start the season and that's why the D looked so good.

pauls931
12-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I almost had to start a lakers suck a$$ thread, I figured they'd blow out pho by 20. Hell I think pho even led at a point. Glad I stayed up for the 2nd half. It may have been different if Shaq was there, bynum was able to push amare and sideshow bob around at will.

and yeah, no one played D....

wijayas
12-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I've never seen a team regress like this so quickly. They literally went from a top defense to absolutely no defense. They are playing with no effort or intensity on the floor.

This team's defense is even worse than last season at this point, and that's saying something. The Lakers won't even make it to the Finals the way they are playing right now.

I can't imagine if the Lakers lost two straight. You may hang yourself the way it is going... :lol :lol :lol

You know Lakers can't have an 82-0 record. Win some, lose some. How many team has a 17-3 record?

We at the Spurs are looking forward to seeing Lakers again at the WCF. :toast

wijayas
12-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I almost had to start a lakers suck a$$ thread, I figured they'd blow out pho by 20. Hell I think pho even led at a point. Glad I stayed up for the 2nd half. It may have been different if Shaq was there, bynum was able to push amare and sideshow bob around at will.

and yeah, no one played D....

Sorry I didn't follow the Suns that much. What happened to Shaq? The coach kept him away to make him fresh for the play-off?

pauls931
12-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Sorry I didn't follow the Suns that much. What happened to Shaq? The coach kept him away to make him fresh for the play-off?

He off for a funeral. I don't think Shaq would have passed up this one. And of course bell, singletary, and diaw were gone so they were somewhat undermanned. It was nice to see Dragic get some time.

IronMexican
12-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Lakers for Outlaw!!! We should have did it when Outlaw wasn't so good! Travis is a great defender, can hit the 3, and is an ideal SF for us.

lil_penny
12-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Lakers for Outlaw!!! We should have did it when Outlaw wasn't so good! Travis is a great defender, can hit the 3, and is an ideal SF for us.

I'm positive the blazers wouldn't trade him to any of the other top 8 western conference teams he would have to go somewhere else or something first.

z0sa
12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm positive the blazers wouldn't trade him to any of the other top 8 western conference teams he would have to go somewhere else or something first.

Even for Kobe?...

:hat

lil_penny
12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
im sure that would be a exception though haha...

Allanon
12-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Ah, shoot, I just realized that I'm under-selling the Lakers. It's not 17-3, it's 18-3. 86% winning percentage. You need 85% to win 70 games.

How many team fans would consider a trade or break up the team at 18-3. Or think the sky is falling with that kind of record...only Laker fans. Talk about setting the bar high :D

I'll even go on a limb and say the Lakers will win the next 7 games leading into the Christmas Day game vs the green bitches...good for a 25-3 record.

Allanon
12-11-2008, 06:05 PM

The Lakers have played 5 back to backs. Half of their games so far have been part of a B2B. And they have two more coming up soon, capped off by the Celtics on the 25th.

5 games in 7 days.

Dec 19 @Miami
Dec 20 @Orlando

Dec 22 @Memphis
Dec 23 @New Orleans

Dec 25 Green Bitches

I think that's higher than almost any team in the league.

AND, if you look at Strength of Schedule (SOS), of the big 3 teams (Lakers/Celtics/Cavs), you'll see that Boston & Cleveland schedules have been easier than the Lakers.

Strength of Schedule Ranks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi?season=2009&sortColumn=sos)

Baseline
12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
What has happened to the Lakers?

Inherent problem #1 - Gasol is the MVP of the team, not Bryant.
Inherent Problem #2 - Fisher is horrendous
Inherent Problem #3 - Odom is being forced to be misused because of
Bryant's ego
Inherent Problem #4 - No clue what lockdown playoff defense is.
Inherent Problem #5 - Bench is vastly overrated, especially Vujacic
Inherent Problem #6 - They love themselves entirely too much

All of these factors make them regular season heroes.

That's fine, but it doesn't get you a ring.

TheMadHatter
12-11-2008, 06:48 PM
What has happened to the Lakers?

Inherent problem #1 - Gasol is the MVP of the team, not Bryant.
Inherent Problem #2 - Fisher is horrendous
Inherent Problem #3 - Odom is being forced to be misused because of
Bryant's ego
Inherent Problem #4 - No clue what lockdown playoff defense is.
Inherent Problem #5 - Bench is vastly overrated, especially Vujacic
Inherent Problem #6 - They love themselves entirely too much

All of these factors make them regular season heroes.

That's fine, but it doesn't get you a ring.

1. Gasol has been playing out of his mind, but you're a fool if you think Kobe isn't the heart, soul, and MVP of the Laker team. Without him nothing else works.

2. Fisher's DEFENSE is certainly horrendous right now. I give him a pass because I know he'll show up in the playoffs with clutch shots, steals, etc.

3. Odom is playing backup PF against 2nd unit scrubs he should be dominating. He's mentally weak and soft. His problems have absolutely nothing to do with Kobe, he's just an abject failure given his natural talent. I just don't believe LA is the best fit for Lamar Odom, he's not championship material.

4. Absolutely. This falls on the coaching staff more than anything. They seem to believe that if their offense is good enough the defense will be just fine. Trust me it sounds insane for me to even type that.

5. The bench is inconsistent, but when they're ON they are no question one of the best benches in the league.

6. They have a false sense of entitlement, I agree. Coming into games expecting to win.

LakeShow
12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
It's nothing wrong with the Lakers. Its a long season and we will have games like this. I agree that we need another point guard but I thought we needed that a long time ago when Jordan got into foul trouble and we had to go to Fish a lot more than I would like. They definitely need to pick up a 3rd point guard. Lindsay Hunter or Tyron Lue would have been perfect.

We are really missing Rony right now, we have no energy off the bench anymore. Lamar should not be moved and we will need him against the Celtics. We cannot trade him for a PG, that would not help us at all in defeating the Celtics. What the Lakers need is for our Bigs to start acting like they're not afraid of contact and start knocking players on their ass when they get into the paint. We really need them to be more active in the paint.

I really believe that the Triple Towers is the best lineup that we can put on the court against the Celtics. I am not concerned with the WC, the Lakers can handle them without much trouble.

Allanon
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Great post Lakeshow.

Agree on losing Ronny. He's languishing with even less PT on the Warriors. He would have been great for the Lakers this year.

Pau/Bynum really need to step up their D. Fish/Farmar I don't expect to get better on D. Pau can and Bynum has lapsed in his D to improve his scoring. Bynum's gotta forget the scoring and play his early season D again.

And I think Sun Yue is going to get some minutes. He's a pretty good defender, he just needs to learn the NBA game so he doesn't foul so much. It's a long shot for Yue but it's crazy enough that I think Phil will give it a try.

I really believe that the Triple Towers is the best lineup that we can put on the court against the Celtics.

Absolutely.

I look forward to Odom and Ariza shutting down Paul Pierce.

z0sa
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
I am not concerned with the WC, the Lakers can handle them without much trouble.

And you wonder where the Lakers get their false sense of entitlement? It comes straight from the fans and media who have already guaranteed a finals berth. I mean, Utah gave ya'll trouble last season. Utah!

You may be beating us in a few years, but right now nothing's going to be sweeter than my Spurs mudstomping the Lakers this postseason to everyone's horror.

DrHouse
12-11-2008, 08:45 PM
The Lakers are now a below average defensive rebounding team.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with this team. Their problems are so glaring and obvious, but the coaching staff is refusing to recognize them and address them. It's absolutely ludicrous. If the defense stays this poor and we get stomped in the playoffs again because of it I think it's time to fire Phil Jackson and get rid of his entire coaching staff.

Bring in Pat Riley. He will teach this team defense whether they like it or not.

sook
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
lol at you kids...

All i see is a W.

I don't give a fuck about your stupid problems

Warlord23
12-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Lakers will be all right ... in the regular season that is. They might end up with a Dallas Mavericks type 67+ win season easily.

However, the thing about the NBA is that while skill gets you in to the playoffs, it's toughness that helps you win it all. Remind me of the last championship team on which more than half the team was skilled, soft and played little defense. I mean, you take Gasol, Odom, Farmar, Fisher, Vujacic, Radmanovic, Walton ... which of these guys can man up and bang with the big boys? And even the remaining guys like Ariza, Bynum or Kobe are not known for toughness ... the best you can say about them is that they're not soft. They let go of Turiaf, the one guy who had some toughness in him.

It's no surprise that every NBA champion team in the last 2 decades has had one or more Ho-Grant, Rodman, Harper, Horry, Elie, Cassell, Fox, Malik Rose, Posey type players. That's why you have limited players like Perkins and PJ Brown bullying more skilled players like Gasol and Odom, as they did last June.

Toughness wins, period. And the Lakers aren't tough. The Lakers are more talented than any team in the league, but history tells you that isn't enough to bring home the LOB

LakeShow
12-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Great post Lakeshow.

Agree on losing Ronny. He's languishing with even less PT on the Warriors. He would have been great for the Lakers this year.

Pau/Bynum really need to step up their D. Fish/Farmar I don't expect to get better on D. Pau can and Bynum has lapsed in his D to improve his scoring. Bynum's gotta forget the scoring and play his early season D again.

And I think Sun Yue is going to get some minutes. He's a pretty good defender, he just needs to learn the NBA game so he doesn't foul so much. It's a long shot for Yue but it's crazy enough that I think Phil will give it a try.

Absolutely.

I look forward to Odom and Ariza shutting down Paul Pierce.

Thanks Allanon.

Quick point guards are going to be able to penetrate the lane no matter how hard you try to stop them. The rule change assured that. D-fish is trying to lead the guards to the middle thinking the bigs would have a field day and they very well should but the bigs are just letting them go without so much a touch.

Fish will need to adjust, probably go back to flopping until the bigs get their shit together. Gasol and Bynum are still learning to play with each other so there is plenty of time to improve but they have to get more active in the paint.

LakeShow
12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Lakers will be all right ... in the regular season that is. They might end up with a Dallas Mavericks type 67+ win season easily.

However, the thing about the NBA is that while skill gets you in to the playoffs, it's toughness that helps you win it all. Remind me of the last championship team on which more than half the team was skilled, soft and played little defense. I mean, you take Gasol, Odom, Farmar, Fisher, Vujacic, Radmanovic, Walton ... which of these guys can man up and bang with the big boys? And even the remaining guys like Ariza, Bynum or Kobe are not known for toughness ... the best you can say about them is that they're not soft. They let go of Turiaf, the one guy who had some toughness in him.

It's no surprise that every NBA champion team in the last 2 decades has had one or more Ho-Grant, Rodman, Harper, Horry, Elie, Cassell, Fox, Malik Rose, Posey type players. That's why you have limited players like Perkins and PJ Brown bullying more skilled players like Gasol and Odom, as they did last June.

Toughness wins, period. And the Lakers aren't tough. The Lakers are more talented than any team in the league, but history tells you that isn't enough to bring home the LOB

I agree with you to a point but The Lakers are tough and the right lineup can help them get even more tough. It's time for the Lakers to take it to teams rather teams taking it to them in the paint. Go with the triple tower!

Tough enough to beat the Celtics? Not right now, but plenty of time to get it together. They are tough enough to win the conference and they have the pieces to do it.

Kobe™
12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Lakers=68 wins.

Pistonfan1
12-11-2008, 10:12 PM
One glaring weakness that Laker fans NEVER bring up and know it is true is they dont have any quality backup bigman. Powell/Mihm suck and their fans know it too. If they were capable backups, how come they arent getting any playing time? Odom is their best backup bigman which isnt good at all. If/when Bynum gets into foul trouble, the Lakers d will be even worse.

It's hard to see the Lakers turn into a solid defensive team when it matters most. Sasha/Vlad/Gasol are soft as hell, Fisher is old, etc etc. Get Bynum in foul trouble and their weak interior D gets weaker.

Armando
12-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Maybe Zen Master should worry less about sending messages via the press to Boston and more about his team.

Allanon
12-11-2008, 11:21 PM
One glaring weakness that Laker fans NEVER bring up and know it is true is they dont have any quality backup bigman. Powell/Mihm suck and their fans know it too. If they were capable backups, how come they arent getting any playing time? Odom is their best backup bigman which isnt good at all. If/when Bynum gets into foul trouble, the Lakers d will be even worse.

I disagree, I think Powell and Chris Mihm are excellent backup big men. On the Lakers they are 3rd stringers so they don't get much PT.

Mihm suffered quite a bit of injuries the last 2 years but this year, he's been good when given minutes. Powell is very good for a big man, a great rebounder, hustles and has a great shooting touch.

It's hard to see the Lakers turn into a solid defensive team when it matters most. Sasha/Vlad/Gasol are soft as hell, Fisher is old, etc etc. Get Bynum in foul trouble and their weak interior D gets weaker.

Sasha is an underrated defender and not soft at all. Vlad is an excellent defender when he wants to be...which isn't often.

Gasol I agree is too soft on D.

But the Lakers, when it matters (ie. big games) are very good defensively. They aren't a bad defensive team, not just an elite defensive team. Probably 10th best defensively in the NBA right now with the ability...not terrible, not great.