PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan's 1,000th A Long Night He Can Relish

duncan228
12-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Duncan's 1,000th a long night he can relish (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Delay_causes_Spurs_to_have_short_rest.html)
By Mike Monroe

By the time Tim Duncan finished his Wednesday night's work at AT&T Center he probably felt he had compressed about 900 of his 1,000 career games into two nights.

Duncan's 1,000th NBA game — regular season and playoffs, a combined figure the league does not officially recognize for statistical comparables — required 35 minutes and 12 seconds against two of the league's better young big men, Atlanta's Josh Smith and Al Horford.

Coming 24 hours after he played 50 minutes and 21 seconds in a double-overtime victory in Dallas, Duncan acknowledged the extra portion of fatigue he felt as he exited the arena.

“Looking for a good night of sleep,” he said. “Obviously, we've got another game in a day-and-a-half. We have to regroup, and hopefully feel good on Friday.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich went into Wednesday's game intent on limiting the court time of his three All-Stars, Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. The nature of Wednesday's game required Duncan's presence in the post a bit more than Popovich would have preferred.

“Timmy is a warrior,” Popovich said. “He doesn't ever want me to take him out of the game at all. Every time I do, he says, ‘I'm fine. I'm ready to go.'

“He's just the base of everything we do. He was tough tonight.”

Duncan got banged around by Atlanta's Horford, Smith and beefy Zaza Pachulia throughout, but still managed 19 points and 11 rebounds.

Fin fine: The Spurs got a needed jolt of offense in an otherwise rough stretch of the fourth period from forward Michael Finley. In one stretch of three minutes and 21 seconds, Finley made four shots and one slick pass to Tim Duncan to finish off a pick-and-roll, allowing the Spurs to fend off an Atlanta rally and set the state for Manu Ginobili's late-game heroics.

“I just wanted to be aggressive and attack the basket,” said Finley, who scored 15. “I wasn't just looking to score, but to be aggressive, whether it was at the defensive end, denying catches and trying to rebound, or just giving us a little life, besides the scoring. The scoring was an added bonus, something we needed at the time, but I just wanted to help the team a little bit.”

“‘Fin' was crucial,” Popovich said afterward. “He came in for Roger (Mason Jr.) and made three or four jumpers in a row. If that doesn't happen, we'd be talking about a loss right now.”

Ball magnet?: Spurs center Matt Bonner grabbed a season-high 13 rebounds Wednesday, including seven on the offensive boards. Three of Bonner's four baskets were on putbacks, but Duncan suggested they were the result only of good fortune.

“He got some of the luckiest bounces I've ever seen in my life,” Duncan said. “They kind of dropped in his lap and he laid them up.”

Bonner, however, revealed his offensive rebounding secret.

“I was in my lab in the basement and came up with this new invention,” he said. “It's a magnet that works with basketballs. I just flicked it on. Don't tell anybody.”

z0sa
12-11-2008, 01:38 AM
:lmao @ Tim and Bonner's board banter

duncan228
12-11-2008, 02:00 AM
:lmao @ Tim and Bonner's board banter

It's even better watching Duncan say it.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/081210.html

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 02:11 AM
It's even better watching Duncan say it.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/081210.html

Holy crap, that was hilarious.

m33p0
12-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Bonner, however, revealed his offensive rebounding secret.

“I was in my lab in the basement and came up with this new invention,” he said. “It's a magnet that works with basketballs. I just flicked it on. Don't tell anybody.”
ball magnets? didn't manu used those, too?

duncan228
12-11-2008, 03:10 AM
ball magnets? didn't manu used those, too?

t8w_rZCU_Vw

ClingingMars
12-11-2008, 03:13 AM
bonner is the new barry.

-Mars

honestfool84
12-11-2008, 03:17 AM
t8w_rZCU_Vw

man, that guy is SO annoying; at least his voice is.

Slomo
12-11-2008, 04:53 AM
bonner is the new barry.

-Mars

"I was trying to figure out how to get fouled while inbounding the ball. I didn't come up with anything..."

:lol

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 05:19 AM
"I was trying to figure out how to get fouled while inbounding the ball. I didn't come up with anything..."

:lol

He should have asked Hill to guard him.

m33p0
12-11-2008, 08:31 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/b49caeb8-cca8-4e55-a614-66b862eafde8.jpg
not sure if we're allowed to post AP photos. if we aren't, feel free to delete.

btw, how the hell was the photographer able to get that angle? :lol

DannyT
12-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I was looking for a special paper to say something about his 1000th game does anyone know if they had one?

I was looking fo one at the HEB Center last night and they were selling gay ass Fab Magnets with the paper. Is it me or should the arena be called the HE Butt Center. Its loaded with Heb shit

Congrats Timmy if the league doesnt respect it we do:tu

SPURS DY-NASTY
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
im pretty sure there are remote cameras behind the backboard taking photos, not photographers.

am i wrong or is 1,000 games a big milestone in a professional career. why wasn't that a point of interest in espn's features. instead lebron once again got the spotlight, f ' in retarded

TampaDude
12-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Congrats to Timmy on his 1000th career game...and congrats on winning it!!! :toast

duncan228
12-11-2008, 01:56 PM
There are cameras up top.

And, don't miss the slideshow the E-N has on Duncan's milestones.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/Tim_Duncan_Milestones_in_Pictures.html

Lebowski Brickowski
12-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Bonner:
I got to sleep in til noon. That was awesome."

:lmao

Manu-of-steel
12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
bonner is the new barry.

-Mars
agreed!:lol

ShoogarBear
12-12-2008, 12:15 AM
It's stupid that they decided to count 1000 games including playoffs. Makes it a bizarre milestone that was never recognized for anyone else.

I mean, would they recognize his 10,000th rebound including playoff games?