PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo ties Gervin's record for points in one quarter

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 02:02 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/viewcast/2008/12/10/index.html?contestId=23947&vendorId=2008121007&vendorVisitTeam=16&vendorHomeTeam=7&pageType=recap

DENVER (AP) - Carmelo Anthony had an easier time matching the NBA record for points in a quarter than he did trying to figure it out.

Anthony matched George Gervin's NBA record with 33 points in the third and finished with a season-high 45 points in the Denver Nuggets ' 116-105 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday night.

''I've never been a part of a quarter like that before,'' Anthony said. ''I just felt that good. I can't explain it. My 3-ball was going in, driving to the basket, getting fouled. Just the complete game tonight.''

Gervin scored 33 points for San Antonio in the second quarter against New Orleans on April 9, 1978. Anthony broke the franchise record of 32 set by David Thompson against Detroit, also on April 9, 1978.

Chauncey Billups added 24 points in Denver's eighth straight win over Minnesota. After the game, he was still in awe of Anthony's performance.

''I've played against some great ones and played with some great ones,'' said Billups, whose team trailed by 16 in the first half. ''That's the best I've ever seen in a 12-minute span. He was awesome. He got us back in the game, got us a nice lead. Single-handedly put us on his back tonight and did what a lot of great players do.''

Anthony has struggled with his shot, in part because of a sore right elbow. He said he banged it twice in the first half, but the pain didn't bother him in the third.

''I was fighting through the pain. It was all good, though,'' he said. ''Once my 3-ball was going, I knew I'd be in pretty good shape.''

Al Jefferson had 26 points and 12 rebounds, and Randy Foye also scored 26 points for Minnesota, which has lost seven straight games and two in a row since Kevin McHale took over as head coach on Monday.

Anthony, who had nine points at halftime, took over the game in the third quarter, scoring 26 straight points for the Nuggets at one point. His steal and dunk sparked the Nuggets' rally from a 12-point halftime deficit, and he pumped his fist after hitting a 3-pointer that tied it at 60.

''He got rolling. He put a show on in that third quarter,'' McHale said.

Anthony, who also had a team-high 11 rebounds, wasn't done. His putback layup gave Denver its first lead since midway through the first quarter, and he followed that with a 3-pointer and a fast-break dunk to make it 68-62 with 4:35 left in the third.

''He was taking a lot of his shots from the outside, and those are the ones we wanted him to take,'' Minnesota forward Ryan Gomes said. ''But tonight was a night where they were all going in.''

He hit two 3-pointers to extend Denver's lead to 82-76, and he finished the quarter with a driving layup with 1.8 seconds left to give the Nuggets an 84-78 lead.

''Pretty incredible explosion,'' Nuggets coach George Karl said. ''We needed it, too. It was a game we needed someone to step forward, and it was a pretty good show.''

Minnesota didn't go away quietly. Foye and Jefferson made back-to-back baskets to cut Denver's lead to 94-92 with 6:47 left, but J.R. Smith's three-point play and a layup by Anthony made it 101-92. Billups and Anthony Carter hit consecutive 3-pointers to push the lead to 10 with 3:38 left. Minnesota got no closer then eight the rest of the way.

Anthony scored only three points in the fourth quarter but left to a standing ovation with 52.7 seconds left in the game and Denver ahead by 11.

Anthony's career high is 49 set against Washington last February. He said Billups was urging him to go for 50 points in the fourth.

''Chauncey kept saying, 'Go get it! Go get it!''' Anthony said. ''I've been looking for a game like this.''

Notes: Denver's Kenyon Martin missed his second straight game and third overall because of a sprained left wrist. Renaldo Balkman started in his place. ... Denver's eight-game winning streak against Minnesota is its longest current streak against any NBA team. ... The Nuggets assigned G Sonny Weems and C Cheikh Samb to the Colorado 14ers of the NBDL.

tp2021
12-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Iceman did it first.

Reck
12-11-2008, 02:04 AM
He should enjoy it cuz he'll never have another one like it.

duncan228
12-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Melo was up for it tonight.

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Melo was up for it tonight.

Two-timing slut.

duncan228
12-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Two-timing slut.

:lmao :lmao

Not me baby.

Manufan909
12-11-2008, 02:23 AM
What's Manu's recored for a quarter? PO or otherwise.

Ocotillo
12-11-2008, 07:53 AM
That is just friggin' amazing.

Think about it, if the Spurs give up 33 points in a quarter, it was a bad quarter. This one guy got 33 points, let alone the team.

mrspurs
12-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Wonder who still thinks Melo is just as good as Queen James?

dirk4mvp
12-11-2008, 09:37 AM
tough crowd

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-11-2008, 10:08 AM

Melo is better at rebounding :smokin :lol

Those two go head to head again next week. It will be interesting to see if they match up against each other on D. Both players seem to be playing better D this season, so why not test it out on another great player?

MI21
12-11-2008, 10:14 AM

http://www.freefoto.com/images/01/08/01_08_52---Duck_web.jpg

"Quack"

Vito Corleone
12-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I knew the Ice man and Melo is no Iceman.

duncan228
12-11-2008, 01:06 PM
This is long, but it's the story of Gervin's game.
Sorry about the box scores, I didn't clean them up. :)

Anthony provides another night to remember (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/12/anthony_provide.html)
By Chris Tomasson
Rocky Mountain News

As great of a performance as Carmelo Anthony had Wednesday night, he also brought back some great memories.

The Nuggets forward tied an NBA record by scoring 33 of his 45 points in the third quarter in his Denver's 116-105 win over Minnesota at the Pepsi Center.

Anthony tied the mark set by San Antonio's George Gervin on April 9, 1978 at New Orleans. He also broke the Nuggets team record of 32 set by David Thompson on April 9, 1978 at Detroit.

No, that's not a typo. Anthony's performance brought back memories of one of the greatest days in NBA regular-season history.

On the season's final day, Gervin and Thompson were dueling for the scoring title. Thompson scored 73 points in an afternoon game, including 32 in the first quarter, to take the lead. But Gervin came back that night to win the crown by scoring 63 points, 33 in the second quarter.

Gervin won the closest scoring race in NBA history by an average of 27.22 to 27.15.

Two links between the performances of Gervin and Anthony are Doug Moe and George Karl.

Moe was San Antonio's coach during Gervin's big game. He went on to become Denver's coach, and is now a Nuggets consultant.

Karl then was a Moe assistant. But he wasn't at Gervin's scoring explosion at the Superdome, instead being on the road.

"I was scouting somewhere,'' Karl said. "Doug was going after the record, and (Gervin) knew exactly what he needed to have, and Doug ran every play for him. And that's probably why he got 33. Doug thought he could have gotten a lot more, but, once he got the scoring (title), he said he wanted to come out.''

If you want more memories from that day, the Rocky Mountain News can help. On April 9, 2003, the 25th anniversary of the conclusion of the greatest scoring race in NBA history, the Rocky did a big story on it.

Here it is. Enjoy.

THESE GUYS KNEW THE SCORE

25 YEARS AGO, GERVIN AND THOMPSON WAGED A STIRRING DUEL FOR THE NBA CROWN

By Chris Tomasson
Rocky Mountain News
April 9, 2003

George Gervin was asleep in his New Orleans hotel room when the phone rang.

``Did you hear that David Thompson scored 73 points today?'' a reporter asked a groggy Gervin

Gervin , whose nickname was ``Iceman'' because he was so cool, wasn't rattled in the slightest. He went back to sleep for another hour.

Eventually, on that Sunday afternoon of April 9, 1978, Gervin arose. He dressed and went downstairs to meet his San Antonio Spurs teammates for the bus ride to the Superdome for their game that evening against the New Orleans Jazz.

``The guys were waiting on me, and they asked me if I wanted to get that (scoring) title back,'' Gervin said.

Before Gervin arrived, Spurs coach Doug Moe had met with the other players. With the team already having wrapped up the NBA's Central Division, a plan was agreed upon to keep feeding Gervin the ball that night until he won the scoring title.

Gervin , a 6-foot-7 guard, had gone into the final day of the regular season with a 26.8-point average, just ahead of Thompson at 26.6. Thompson, a 6-4 Denver Nuggets guard, needed to outscore Gervin by 15 points to win the crown.

Playing that day before a sparse crowd of 3,482 in the final NBA game at Detroit's Cobo Hall, Thompson put on a performance for the ages. He scored an NBA-record 32 points in the first period and had totaled 53 by halftime. Thompson slowed down in the second half but finished with 73 points, tied for the third-most in an NBA game and tied for the second-most in a non-overtime game.

Then it was Gervin 's turn. He broke Thompson's record by scoring 33 points in the second quarter and also had piled up 53 by halftime. After that, it was easy. He needed 58 to win the crown but got to 63 before taking the fourth quarter off.

So ended the closest scoring race in NBA history. Gervin finished at 27.22 points a game, Thompson at 27.15.

``That was one of the greatest days in NBA history,'' said Moe, who later coached Thompson in Denver and now serves as a Nuggets consultant. ``David scores 73, which is amazing, and Ice needs 58. Then he puts on one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen.''

Twenty-five years later, that day still is discussed. Before Orlando's Tracy McGrady pulled away in the past month from the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, there was talk the two might end up in a similar final-day showdown.

Gervin and Thompson get together several times a year at fantasy camps, and questions always are asked about their epic scoring duel. At the 2002 NBA All-Star Game in Philadelphia, the two engaged in a three-point shooting contest, which Thompson won by making nine of 12 shots to Gervin 's eight of 12.

``I guess I got a little revenge,'' Thompson said with a laugh.

Gervin and Thompson now are good friends. Twenty-five years ago, the relationship was different.

They weren't chums. But they had admired each other since their days in the American Basketball Association. In 1975-76, the ABA's final season, Gervin was a fourth-year player with the Spurs and Thompson was a Nuggets rookie.

``We had a lot of mutual respect from being in the ABA that one year,'' said Thompson, now a motivational speaker based in Charlotte, N.C. ``In the ABA, you got to know everybody you played against. We only had seven teams in the league, so we played the Spurs (15) times. We weren't the best of friends, but we were real cordial. And when we entered the NBA, ABA guys always pulled together because we often felt slighted.''

There were similarities between Gervin and Thompson after they entered the NBA in 1976. Both played on teams that surprised observers by moving immediately to a place among the league's best. Both put up big scoring numbers and played in the All-Star Game during their inaugural season.

In 1976-77, Thompson averaged 25.9 points to rank fourth in the NBA and Gervin averaged 23.1 to rank ninth. As they headed down the stretch the following season, each was vying for his first pro scoring title.

``To have two ABA players going at it like that in the NBA was kind of neat,'' said Philadelphia coach Larry Brown, who was then Denver's coach.

Gervin held a slight lead on Thompson for much of the season. When the final day arrived, Denver's game started at 11:30 a.m. MST and San Antonio's at 5:30 p.m.

The Nuggets, who finished 48-24, had wrapped up the Midwest Division title, so, like the Spurs, who finished 52-30, they had nothing at stake. But Brown insisted nothing was set up before the game to get Thompson big scoring numbers.

``Every time I tell Doug this, he says it's baloney, but we didn't go out there with any idea that he was going to try to score more than George ,'' said Brown, a longtime friend of Moe, who had been an ABA assistant under Brown. ``He just had an incredible game.''

Thompson said Brown asked him before the game if he wanted the Nuggets to do anything special to get him the scoring title, but he declined. But after his amazing first period, things began to change.

Thompson made his first eight shots and went 13-for-14 in the first quarter. He made all six of his free-throw attempts on his way to breaking Wilt Chamberlain's record of 31 points in a quarter.

``Everything I was throwing up was going in,'' Thompson said. ``After that, the guys pretty much decided behind my back that they were going to try to get me (the scoring title).''

Thompson made an incredible 20 of his first 21 shots and had gone 20-for-23 by halftime. He was wearing out Detroit defenders Al Skinner, Jim Price and M.L. Carr.

``I started out guarding him, and, at first, I was wondering what the heck was going on,'' said Skinner, now Boston College's head coach. ``He was shooting all the time. The referees were calling all these fouls. I said, 'He's going for the scoring title. I'm done guarding him.' I passed him off to Jim Price.''

Price didn't do any better. Thompson made mid-range jumpers with defenders hanging all over him. He made several impressive dunks, including one off a lob that Brown said ``blew my mind.''

``As the game went on, we saw how hot he was,'' said guard Mack Calvin, who played 9 minutes for the Nuggets that day. ``Myself, Ralph Simpson and Dan Issel started really trying to get him the ball. But we weren't really passing up shots, because he was hitting everything.''

Issel recorded 10 assists as the starting center and was Denver's second-leading scorer with a mere 14 points. The way Thompson was playing, there was no need for anyone else to shoot.

As the first half went along, CBS, which days earlier had elected not to televise the game, got wind of what was happening. Network officials arranged to have Thompson interviewed at halftime. But with no suitable cameras at Cobo, CBS could not switch to the action.

The second half started with visions of Thompson challenging Wilt Chamberlain's 1962 record of 100 points in a game. But it soon became evident that wouldn't happen. The Pistons, hardly wanting to end up on the wrong side in the record book, began sending numerous bodies at Thompson.

``The second half was a little tougher,'' Thompson said. ``They were double- and triple-teaming me. It takes a lot of energy to score 53 points in a half. The second half, I got a little tired.''

Thompson managed only 20 more points. In 43 minutes, he shot 28-for-38 from the field and 17-for-20 from the line. Putting only a slight damper on the day, the Pistons came back from a 14-point halftime deficit to win 139-137.

``We thought he'd scored enough points to win the scoring title,'' Calvin said. ``We were all patting him on the back after the game.''

When news of Thompson's huge game reached New Orleans, Moe began to put his plan into action. He asked his players if they wanted to get Gervin the scoring title, and there was universal agreement. Then the plan was revealed to Gervin .

``I would only have agreed to do it if all 11 of my teammates had approved,'' said Gervin , who now works in the Spurs community relations department. ``Fifty-eight points was a hell of a task. But I was confident I could do it.''

If all of Gervin 's teammates had agreed to feed him the ball, it sure didn't look that way at the beginning.

``Before the game, Doug says, 'Guys, we're going to get the ball to Ice every time down the court,' '' said forward Allan Bristow, later a Nuggets assistant coach and general manager who played 20 minutes for the Spurs. ``So the first time down the court, (Larry) Kenon takes a shot. Then the second time down the court, Kenon takes another shot. The third time down the court, (Billy) Paultz takes a shot. So Doug calls timeout and says, 'Guys, I'm telling you, I want Ice to take every shot.' So right after the timeout, Kenon takes another shot, and Doug takes him out and puts me in.''

Bristow followed instructions. He even passed up open layups to get the ball to Gervin .

At first, it didn't appear Gervin would catch Thompson. He missed his first six shots and muttered to his teammates, ``Guys, let's just forget it.'' But then he got rolling.

Gervin finished the first quarter with 20 points. In the second, hitting jumpers with bodies draped over him and driving for his trademark finger rolls, Gervin broke Thompson's hours-old NBA record by scoring 33 points.

``I was just in a zone,'' Gervin said. ``I was like Casper the Friendly Ghost. I was going through guys.''

With Gervin having scored 53 by halftime, the scoring race was all but over. When the Nuggets returned to Denver, Thompson flipped on the radio and heard what Gervin had done in the first half. He immediately turned it off.

The second half at the Superdome was anticlimactic. Gervin quickly got five points to lock up the scoring title. Just in case somebody's math was off, Moe left Gervin in the game to get five more points, bringing his total to 63.

Gervin went to the bench for good late in the third quarter, and the Jazz, which led throughout the game, coasted to a 153-132 win.

`` Gervin put on the greatest show I'd ever seen in my life,'' Moe said. ``They put a box-and-one on him, and they came out in the second half with a triangle-and-two. Two guys were chasing him around, but he was knocking down everything. You couldn't stop him.''

Nevertheless, Gervin did not shoot nearly as well as Thompson. In 33 minutes, he shot 23-for-49 from the field and 17-for-20 from the line.

There was some bitterness among Nuggets players. Forward Bobby Jones believed Gervin 's performance was cheapened because San Antonio's primary focus had been to get him the ball. Considering the Spurs got clobbered by a losing team, winning obviously was secondary.

``The next day, I kind of felt it had been a setup deal,'' said Jones, who played 15 minutes in Thompson's big game. ``David's wasn't. When you shoot the kind of percentage he did, you're not taking any bad shots.''

From Thompson, there was chagrin at finishing second in the scoring race. But he soon got over it.

``I was a little disappointed,'' Thompson said. ``But then I realized there was no shame in losing to a guy like Gervin . And the performance I had was a once-in-lifetime thing. It's something I figured people would be talking about for years to come.''

Unfortunately for Thompson, many of his years to come were not good. Even though, at 23, he was two years younger than Gervin , Thompson's career quickly spiraled downward while Gervin 's flourished.

Thompson developed problems with cocaine abuse. He never again would finish higher than fifth in the scoring race. He was out of the NBA before his 30th birthday after suffering a serious knee injury when a bouncer pushed him down the stairs at New York's Studio 54 nightclub.

Gervin , meanwhile, went on to win three of the next four scoring titles, giving him four for his career. The only players who have won more are Michael Jordan (10) and Chamberlain (seven).

``That first one is the one I cherish the most,'' Gervin said. ``It was a meaningless game, and we had one goal, to get me my first scoring title, and we did. Scoring 33 points in a quarter is a record that has never been broken. It was the greatest scoring race in basketball history. And to win it against a guy like David, who I had been battling for so many years and who I had so much respect for, was special.''

Ever since that scoring duel, Gervin and Thompson have been linked. So it was only fitting they were inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame on the same day in 1996.

THE SCORING CHASE

The top five finishers in 1977-78, the closest scoring race in NBA history:

NAME, TEAM ....................... G .. PTS. .. AVG.

George Gervin , San Antonio ....... 82 . 2,232 . 27.22

David Thompson, Nuggets .......... 80 . 2,172 . 27.15

Bob McAdoo, New York ............. 79 . 2,097 . 26.54

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, L.A. Lakers . 62 . 1,600 . 25.80

Calvin Murphy, Houston ........... 76 . 1,949 . 25.64

SCORING MACHINES

The top single-game scoring performances in NBA history:

PLAYER, TEAM DATE OPP. PTS.

01. Wilt Chamberlain, Phila. Mar. 2, 1962 New York 100

02. Wilt Chamberlain, Phila. Dec. 8, 1961 (3 OT) L.A. Lakers 78

03. Wilt Chamberlain, Phila. Jan. 13, 1962 Chicago 73

03. Wilt Chamberlain, S.F. Nov. 16, 1962 New York 73

03. David Thompson, Den. April 9, 1978 Detroit 73

06. Wilt Chamberlain, S.F. Nov. 3, 1962 L.A. Lakers 72

07. Elgin Baylor, L.A. Lakers Nov. 15, 1960 New York 71

07. David Robinson, San Ant. April 24, 1994 L.A. Clippers 71

09. Wilt Chamberlain, S.F. Mar. 10, 1963 Syracuse 70

10. Michael Jordan, Chicago Mar. 28, 1990 (OT) Cleveland 69

24. George Gervin , San Ant. April 9, 1978 New Orleans 63

BOX SCORES FROM THE TWO GAMES

PISTONS 139, NUGGETS 137

........FG....FT....Reb

DENVER ....Min....M-A....M-A....O-T....A....PF....Pts

Jones ....15....2-2....0-0....0-3....0....0....4

Wilkerson ....32....1-8....0-0....0-5....3....5....2

Issel ....32....6-9....2-2....3-9....10....2....14

Thompson....43....28-38....17-20....3-7....2....2....73

Roberts ....34....5-8....2-2....2-5....1....5....12

Ellis R....23....2-4....1-1....1-4....6....2....5

LaGarde ....14....2-5....3-4....0-4....0....3....7

Simpson ....24....4-9....1-1R....1-3....4....2....9

Cook ....4....1-1....0-0....1-3....1....1....2

Calvin ....9....3-4....1-2....0-0....0....1....7

Smith ....10....1-2....0-0....0-1....1....1....2

Totals ....240....55-90....29-32....11-44....11....24....127

Percentages - FG .611, FT .844. Blocked shots - 5 (Ellis 2, Wilkerson, Issel, Thompson). Turnovers - 26 (Wilkerson 5, Issel 4, Thompson 4, Roberts 3, Simpson 3, LaGarde 2, Calvin). Steals - 15 (Jones 4, Wilkerson 3, Roberts 3, Issel 2, Simpson 2, LaGarde). Technicals - None.

........FG....FT....Reb

DETROIT ....Min....M-A....M-A....O-T....A....PF....Pts

Carr ....39....10-18....5-6....4-9....1....2....25

Shumate ....41....8-11....4-4....1-9....1....4....20

Poquete ....23....5-7....1-2....2-5....0....1....11

Toney ....33....11-24....1-1....0-2....4....3....23

Ford ....35....8-14....3-4....1-4....9....3....19

Bostic ....15....4-8....2-5....3-4....0....0....10

Skinner ....30....8-12....11-11....3-5....3....4....27

Price ....24....2-8....0-0....1-2....5....4....4

Totals ....240....55-102....27-33....15-40....40....23....139

Percentages - FG .549, FT .818. Blocked shots - 3 (Schumate 2, Poquette). Turnovers - 17 (Ford 5, Price 3, Carr 3, Bostic 2, Skinner 2, Shumate, Poquete). Steals - 13 (Ford 4, Toney 3, Carr 2, Shumate 2, Price 2). Technicals - None.

Denver 42....41....23....31....-....137

Detroit 36....33....35....35....-....139

A - 3,482. T - 2:02.

JAZZ 153, SPURS 132

........FG....FT....Reb

S.A. ....Min....M-A....M-A....O-T....A....PF....Pts

Dietrick ....31....2-3....2-2....1-3....2....5....6

Kenon ....23....6-8....1-2....2-5....1....0....13

Paultz ....28....3-6....0-0....2-6....2....0....6

Gale ....13....2-3....0-0....0-2....0....4....4

Gervin ....33....23-49....17-20....2-2....1....3....63

Dampier ....12....2-4....0-0....0-0....1....1....4

Green ....16....0-2....0-0....1-3....1....2....0

Olberding ....23....3-4....2-2....0-4....0....2....8

Bristow ....20....3-5....0-0....2-4....4....2....6

Silas ....20....4-6....2-2....0-0....3....0....10

Layton ....21....5-8....2-2....0-0....1....0....12

Totals ....240....53-98....26-30....10-29....23....22....132

Percentages - FG .541, FT .867. Blocked shots - 6 (Dietrick 2, Green 2, Gervin , Olberding). Turnovers - 16 ( Gervin 6, Gale 3, Layton 2, Dampier, Kenon, Paultz, Bristow, Silas). Steals - 13 (Bristow 3, Silas 2, Gervin 2, Gale 2, Dietrick, Kenon, Dampier, Olberding). Technicals - None.

........FG....FT....Reb

N.O. ....Min....M-A....M-A....O-T....A....PF....Pts

Robinson ....44....11-22....2-2....8-20....3....2....24

James ....36....12-23....6-7....3-4....4....5....30

Kelley ....28....9-14....3-5....8-16....6....3....21

Goodrich....38....13-24....0-0....1-2....9....1....26

Bailey ....33....8-12....4-5....4-6....7....5....20

Saunders ....11....1-3....0-0....1-2....8....4....2

Boyd....13....3-4....0-0....0-2....4....0....6

Griffin ....17....5-7....1-2....2-4....3....1....11

Meriwethr ....20....6-9....1-3....2-7....5....1....13

Totals ....240....68-118....17-24....24-34....49....22....153

Blocked shots - 7 (Bailey 2, Meriweather 2, Robinson, James, Kelley). Turnovers - 21 (Robinson 6, James 3, Goodrich 3, Griffin 3, Kelley 2, Bailey 2, Saunders, Meriweather). Steals - 8 (James 2, Saunders 2, Griffin, Meriweather, Robinson, Bailey). Technicals - None.

San Antonio 34....40....20....38....-....132

New Orleans 44....34....32....43....-....153

A - 8,336. T - 1:58.

MoSpur
12-11-2008, 01:22 PM
LOL at the picture of the duck and the "Quack."

TwoHandJam
12-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Pretty amazing stat but isn't Ice's performance in '78 a bit more special considering the 3-point shot wasn't adopted in the NBA until the following year?

YODA
12-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Pretty amazing stat but isn't Ice's performance in '78 a bit more special considering the 3-point shot wasn't adopted in the NBA until the following year?

Was just about to post about the 3 point line. well done

dirk4mvp
12-11-2008, 04:12 PM

No. He was padding his stats to win a scoring title. Carmelo was scoring to help his team win a game.

Dave McNulla
12-11-2008, 04:21 PM
he made 4 3pts. in 1978, he couldn't have done that because he wasnt' born yet. just kidding. but he'd have had 29 pts.

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 11:49 PM
There was no TV in those days, and I was living in Boston so WOAI could only be heard on occasion. I remember one of my best friends calling me that evening to say that Thompson had scored 73, and that Gervin would need 58 to win the title. He let me bitch about it for a few seconds, and then he said, "Ice got 53 by halftime." :lol

samikeyp
12-11-2008, 11:51 PM

:duck

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Oh, and Melo is arguably the most complete scoring machine in the NBA. It just his understanding of how to play the game that's lacking.

ducks
12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
melo on the cavs would have beaten the spurs atleast once in the finals
instead of james

ShoogarBear
12-11-2008, 11:55 PM
melo on the cavs would have beaten the spurs atleast once in the finals

No freaking way.

ducks
12-11-2008, 11:57 PM
james sucked the first couple of games against spurs
no one could have sucked more then james did

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 12:50 AM
This is a direct attack on the Spurs by going after Gervin. The team better remember this act of defiance when the first round rolls around.

homer
12-12-2008, 12:55 AM
No. He was padding his stats to win a scoring title. Carmelo was scoring to help his team win a game.
Agreed, about Gervin going for the title, but CA was padding his stats too, he's never been about team. CA has always been about himself, he's been trying to prove he's better than LBJ since college. Good luck with that. He wasn't specifically going for that record, but he was certainly trying to get his name in print.
No one can take away from his great performance, it is what it is, but you can't honestly believe that it was better than the Icemans'. George wasn't being greedy either,he was leading the race the entire year and deserved the scoring title. He got 63 and didn't even play the 4th quarter.You're probably too young to remember that game, but I was sitting at home listening to that game on the radio and ocasionally jumping out of my chair. It was one of the greatest games ever, even though we lost.:hat

dirk4mvp
12-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Agreed, about Gervin going for the title, but CA was padding his stats too, he's never been about team. CA has always been about himself, he's been trying to prove he's better than LBJ since college. Good luck with that. He wasn't specifically going for that record, but he was certainly trying to get his name in print.
No one can take away from his great performance, it is what it is, but you can't honestly believe that it was better than the Icemans'. George wasn't being greedy either,he was leading the race the entire year and deserved the scoring title. He got 63 and didn't even play the 4th quarter.You're probably too young to remember that game, but I was sitting at home listening to that game on the radio and ocasionally jumping out of my chair. It was one of the greatest games ever, even though we lost.:hat

:lol

Melo wasn't trying to stat pad. In the interview, he said Chauncey told him to keep shooting. Who could blame him, he was in the zone. And there's probably not even a handful in the league that has as good of an all around offensive game than Melo. It may have came against a subpar team, but this year looks like it's gonna be a dogfight to end....again, so Im sure anyone who roots for the Nuggets is pleased with Melo's effort.

And yeah, I'm too young to have seen Gervin play. Would've loved to see some sweet ass finger rolls though.

:bking

spurs50_
12-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Don't be surprised when one of the two divas,kobe or james, break this record in the near future.

MoSpur
12-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Did anyone watch the interview Don Harris had with the Iceman? What a joke! Not Ice. Don. He said he remember's listening to WOAI on his radio when he was a littl kid and remember's that game specifically. LOL.

de Soto
12-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Impressive for a potsmoking slacker. He'll collapse in playoffs, though.

duncan228
12-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Gervin, Thompson recall high-scoring feats of their own (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/11/tomasson-gervin-thompson-recall-high-scoring/)
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News

Nearly as fast as Carmelo Anthony was scoring Wednesday night, the news was traveling to San Antonio.

George Gervin, the Hall of Famer and now a Spurs community-relations official, was out and about. The phone rang and it was Gervin's son, George Gervin Jr., with word that dad's NBA mark had been tied.

"He told me Carmelo Anthony had just tied your record of 33 points in a quarter," Gervin said. "He must have had Casper the Friendly Ghost guarding him just like I had Casper the Friendly Ghost guarding me."

The Nuggets forward put up 33 of his 45 points in the third quarter against Minnesota to tie the mark the Spurs guard set in the second quarter on April 9, 1978, at New Orleans.

How old was the record Gervin broke?

About six hours.

"That's the shortest record ever," said former Nuggets guard and Hall of Famer David Thompson, who had set the mark with 32 points in the first quarter at Detroit on the afternoon of April 9, 1978, only to have Gervin break it that night.

Anthony's showing brought back memories of the epic scoring duel between Gervin and Thompson on that final day of the regular season. Thompson finished with 73 points, but Gervin came back with 63 to win the closest race ever, with a 27.22 average to Thompson's 27.15.

"I was out and got back and was watching the fourth quarter," Thompson said from his Charlotte, N.C., home about Anthony breaking his record. "The announcers were saying then Carmelo had 42 points, and they said he had 33 in the third quarter. . . . But you would have thought he would have had more for the game. I was surprised."

So was Gervin, but for another reason.

"I didn't expect it'd be Carmelo (tying the mark)," Gervin said. "I thought it would be Kobe (Bryant) or Dwyane Wade or LeBron (James). But Carmelo put the ball in the hole. That's a pretty hard feat. Records are made to be broken."

Or at least tied.

Gervin plans to congratulate Anthony at February's All-Star Game in Phoenix.

Thompson also plans to laud Anthony in Phoenix. Of course, there might be some bantering over which of these players had the hottest quarter.

Anthony shot 12-of-15, including 4-of-5 from three-point range. Thompson was 13-of-14, with the three-pointer not yet in the NBA.

"About eight or nine of them were jumpers," Thompson said. "The only shot I missed was a dunk. Ben Poquette got a hand on it, and it rolled out. . . . But Melo was pretty awesome. I really like Carmelo. He's one of my favorite players."

While Thompson claimed he only focused on trying to win the scoring crown after his phenomenal first quarter, Gervin doesn't deny that was his goal from the start.

Then-San Antonio coach Doug Moe, now a Nuggets consultant, drew up every play for Gervin. Nuggets coach George Karl, who was then a Spurs assistant but on the road that night scouting, said Moe was "yelling at players who took shots away from Gervin."

"I was real hot," Gervin said of his second quarter, which gave him 53 points at halftime and allowed him to take most of the second half off - the scoring title won. "And we didn't have the three-ball then. . . . I'm going to congratulate Carmelo, but I'll tell him I got another record in scoring 63 points in just 33 minutes."

Anthony got 33, too. And he's proud of it.

Quarter kings

The top scoring performances in NBA history for one quarter.

Total Player Team Points Quarter Date Opponent points

Carmelo Anthony Denver 33 Third Dec. 10, 2008 Minnesota 45

George Gervin San Antonio 33 Second April 9, 1978 New Orleans 63

David Thompson Denver 32 First April 9, 1978 Detroit 73

Wilt Chamberlain Philadelphia 31 Fourth March 2, 1962 New York 100

ShoogarBear
12-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Anything that gets Gervin and Thompson back in the news for a while is cool with me.

wildbill2u
12-13-2008, 09:27 AM
I was at Ice's retirement dinner with a girlfriend who was one of the Baseline
Bums One of the speakers was Paul Griffen, a 6' 9" F for the Spurs who was on the Jazz team when Ice got his 63 points.

Griffen was really funny as he recalled the game and in particular their efforts to stop Ice, doubling and tripling on him since they didn't want him to set a record on them.

He said that Ice has a funny little habit whenever he went down the lane for his famous finger roll and knew he had beat his man. Ice would say "uh-huh" and give a little high pitched chuckle or giggle. They heard it a lot that night Griffen said he still has nightmares about trying to help guard Ice in that game and hearing that "uh huh, giggle."

There really weren't many people at his retirement dinner which I thought was a disgrace and a shame. There should have been hundreds, thousands for all the pleasure Ice brought to us over the years--but the Spurs F.O. blew it and didn't promo it very well. But it made it pretty easy to get Ice to autograph the program.

SenorSpur
12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
I've watched Ice in several interviews since then, when he's discussed that feat on the last day of the 1978 regular season. He's on record as saying the proudest moment for him, wasn't really the record. Rather it was the fact that his teammates and coaches WANTED him to go out and get it.

I'm biased, but Ice's feat is still taller.