PDA

View Full Version : After watching the Boston Game...

Anti.Hero
12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I have come to the conclusion that our role players need...........

A swagger. Meanness. Fire. Hunger. Desperation. A heavy brow. Cornered dog syndrome.

All of Boston's players have it. It gives them confidence. When fired up, they are relentless.

On the Spurs:

Pop has it. One look from Pop and you will have your tail between your legs. With the addition of the beard, Pop will straight fuck. things. up.

Duncan has it. He is the most dangerous type of swagger. The ghost faced killer. He is emotionless. You don't know what he is thinking, but you know he is thinking. The man cannot be broken. His entire career has been nothing but dependable. If Stephen Jackson makes love to pressure; Tim lent him the how-to video out of his personal collection.

Manu has it. The man is Rocky. Lately we have wondered if The SUPERMANu still exists. He does. When Manu is pushed, the real Manu emerges. The Manu that can take over a game on both ends and carry the entire team on his back. When the elite teams push him against the wall, when they go as far as to try and break him with physicality...they awaken a monster. He didn't come to the NBA to make friends; he came to conquer enemies.

Parker has it. He lives for the competetion. He will not be 1-uped. Nash tries to out-do him? He takes him on and comes out victorious. Chris Paul tries to out-do him? He takes him on and Barrack Obama's that ass. The man may be French, but he is the French of old. The French that rivaled England itself. The French that were led by a pissed off short man that took no prisoners. Parker has got it, and he will make sure you know it by the end of the day.

Bowen? He's got it. He is the vet of vets. The man is a ninja assassin. Words are for wimps. Bowen will shut you down with his tricks, then skeet a 3-ball in your face at the buzzer. The man may be almost 40, but that 40 will make you check for gray hairs yourself at the end of the game.

Finley? He is shaky.
Bonner? He has found it lately, but can he truly become the Viking God he was born to be? This is not the NorthEast. You are down in the dirty south now where it's eat or be eaten.
Mason? He has shown he can be clutch. He has not shown much hesitation on big shots. But will he have the fire when it is all on the line?
Hill? Rondo is waiting for you Hill.
The others?

The Spurs are professionals. They don't need to look like goofs ranting and raving on the court to inspire one another. But when they are inevitably down in the series this year, and about to get booted...will they look thinned out and going on fumes like last year? Or will they be angry?

We need a pissed off underdog out for blood. No mercy, no prisoners.

They have a lot of work to do by the end of the reg. season.

ducks
12-11-2008, 11:29 PM
paul wants another title because he knows boston players that get rember when more then one title

T Park
12-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Uh yeah seeing as theirs 4 and a half months left of the season, i'd say they have time...

Anti.Hero
12-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Uh yeah seeing as theirs 4 and a half months left of the season, i'd say they have time...

4 1/2 months will be over before we all know it.

balli
12-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Of course none of those things have anything to do with Garnett's presence...

mrspurs
12-12-2008, 12:52 AM

A swagger. Meanness. Fire. Hunger. Desperation. A heavy brow. Cornered dog syndrome.

All of Boston's players have it. It gives them confidence. When fired up, they are relentless.

On the Spurs:

Pop has it. One look from Pop and you will have your tail between your legs. With the addition of the beard, Pop will straight fuck. things. up.

Duncan has it. He is the most dangerous type of swagger. The ghost faced killer. He is emotionless. You don't know what he is thinking, but you know he is thinking. The man cannot be broken. His entire career has been nothing but dependable. If Stephen Jackson makes love to pressure; Tim lent him the how-to video out of his personal collection.

Manu has it. The man is Rocky. Lately we have wondered if The SUPERMANu still exists. He does. When Manu is pushed, the real Manu emerges. The Manu that can take over a game on both ends and carry the entire team on his back. When the elite teams push him against the wall, when they go as far as to try and break him with physicality...they awaken a monster. He didn't come to the NBA to make friends; he came to conquer enemies.

Parker has it. He lives for the competetion. He will not be 1-uped. Nash tries to out-do him? He takes him on and comes out victorious. Chris Paul tries to out-do him? He takes him on and Barrack Obama's that ass. The man may be French, but he is the French of old. The French that rivaled England itself. The French that were led by a pissed off short man that took no prisoners. Parker has got it, and he will make sure you know it by the end of the day.

Bowen? He's got it. He is the vet of vets. The man is a ninja assassin. Words are for wimps. Bowen will shut you down with his tricks, then skeet a 3-ball in your face at the buzzer. The man may be almost 40, but that 40 will make you check for gray hairs yourself at the end of the game.

Finley? He is shaky.
Bonner? He has found it lately, but can he truly become the Viking God he was born to be? This is not the NorthEast. You are down in the dirty south now where it's eat or be eaten.
Mason? He has shown he can be clutch. He has not shown much hesitation on big shots. But will he have the fire when it is all on the line?
The others?

The Spurs are professionals. They don't need to look like goofs ranting and raving on the court to inspire one another. But when they are inevitably down in the series this year, and about to get booted...will they look thinned out and going on fumes like last year? Or will they be angry?

And Boston had all those things from the start of last season. And they play like that for 48 minutes. It doesnt matter they"re name is, when its called they go into Basketball Mode and dont stop till they're seated back on the bench. All 5 positions going at it. Havnt had a chance to watch to many games this season. But after last season they dont have to prove anything to me. Im convinced........

Capt Bringdown
12-12-2008, 01:24 AM
They didn't look so tough against the Hawks last year. And they came within a couple of missed LeBron layups of getting bounced. But hey, they're the champs.

I do admire them for competing hard during the regular season. I think the home court advantage meant a lot for them last year, and it will this year too.

I think were gonna need another lucky break year such as 2007 to get past the Lakes and take back the title from the Celts this year.

lefty
12-12-2008, 01:31 AM

On the Spurs:

Finley? He is shaky.
The others?

Don't worry

Come playoff time, we will kick some serious asses.

We are 10 times better than we were last season, and last season we went to the WCF

KG doesn't have fire; he acts like a dick and chickens out in the 4th
Posey is not there anymore to bail him out

wijayas
12-12-2008, 01:38 AM

On the Spurs:

Finley? He is shaky.
The others?

For years people try to imitate us. Now we want to imitate Boston? :nope

Spurs will be Spurs. As long as we are healthy, we can take 2 Boston teams on one court! We can play 5 vs. 10!

Pray for health.

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm not worried about the big 4 + Pop, but the role players better have fire against L.A./Boston's bench.

If Mason and Hill have a killer instinct in the playoffs, the Spurs will be dangerous!

If they get nervous on the road we are screwed.

ShoogarBear
12-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Against Boston . . . another big would help.

T Park
12-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Of course none of those things have anything to do with Garnett's presence...

Yeah that swagger and presence of those Timberwolves teams was just overwhelming.

T Park
12-12-2008, 02:18 AM

So what?

Spur-Addict
12-12-2008, 02:27 AM
http://blog.silive.com/marooned/2007/10/large_Ghostface-Killah-du01.jpg

ambchang
12-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Since when is picking on little foreign guards and wilting in the 4th quarter a sign of toughness?

K-State Spur
12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
KG doesn't have fire; he acts like a dick and chickens out in the 4th
Posey is not there anymore to bail him out

But..but...but...but he yells and screams after scoring or blocking a shot!

Yeah, quit telling me that he's an ultimate competitor when he completely fades when the game's on the line.

K-State Spur
12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
but the role players better have fire against L.A./Boston's bench.

I don't care whether they call it fire, or savvy, or toughness - just so long as they are knocking down shots.

hater
12-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Boston is being bailed out by the great play of Allen, Rondo and even Perkins. Garnett is slowly regressing and Pierce has been sucking. They got no Posey. They will have a tough time in the playoffs.

Yes they are the best team in the NBA but not by much.

Indazone
12-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I wish Yao and T-Mac had it:depressed

Artest got it with two giant brass balls.

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Boston is easily the best team in the NBA, there isn't really a discussion..but we actually match up well with them..their best mismatch would be Pierce, we wouldn't have anybody to guard him(since Bruce would take Allen, since he owns him mentally), but they wouldn't have an answer for Manu..

I'd rather play Boston as opposed to LA, since we match up better..even though the Lakers have some serious issues on the defensive end that we'll be better suited for this year..

JamStone
12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Swagger comes with a history of excellence.

The way you describe Duncan's swagger, if he wasn't Tim Duncan, you wouldn't think he had swagger. Emotionless swagger? The only reason you say Duncan has swagger is because the swagger he does have has been proven in the past on the court. No doubt he has it, but that's not the type of swagger you're asking the role players to have.

If Boston didn't win it all and wasn't as good as they are, Perkins and Powe and Davis and Tony Allen would just look like idiots the way they act.

The swagger is realized when players can back it up with something, especially role players. Shit, a player like Desmond Mason has swagger, but people don't talk about his swagger. Someone like Flip Murray has tons of swagger, but does he come to mind when you talk about things like swagger?

Especially when it comes to role players, not 20 point scorers or multiple time all stars, swagger or not, they have to prove something, particularly in the playoffs, before their swagger is realized and acknowledged. Shit, even KG before last year, as great as he was, wasn't identified the same way in terms of swagger. He was looked at as a fake tough guy who couldn't win in the playoffs. Last year, Perkins and Leon Powe were still nothing, no matter how much they barked. Now, they still are. But, they have championship rings to floss and you look at it slightly different.

Who's to say that Roger Mason doesn't have swagger? Or George Hill? It's just not proven, and it won't be until it actually matters.

xtremesteven33
12-12-2008, 12:28 PM
The Celtics are the Spurs of the East. It used to be the Pistons but now its the Celtics. They have thier "big 3" and we the "The Big 3". They anchor the team philosophy on team defense and play disciplined basketball. Just like the Spurs.

I dont see any team stopping the Celtics if theyre fully healthy. Not even the Cavaliers. Lebron is the ONLY allstar on that team! He needs another one. Even Jordan had Pippen. Kobe had Shaq. or (Shaq had Kobe). Duncan had Manu/Parker.

Spurs dont have Swagger. They have discipline and experience. I like that a whole lot more than swagger.

nkdlunch
12-12-2008, 03:12 PM
:lol Spurs don't need no swagger.

They have Gregg Popovich.

I Love Me Some Me
12-12-2008, 04:31 PM

Is this the same swagger, meanness, fire, hunger, desperation, heavy brow, and cornered dog syndrome that reduced Glen Davis to tears the other day?

Dex
12-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Spurs have as much grit and determination as any team in the league, and they let the scoreboard to the talking.

Ghazi
12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
^ No they don't. Who is to say the Spurs even make the Finals?

Their real roadblock is the Cavaliers.

romad_20
12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
^ No they don't. Who is to say the Spurs even make the Finals?

Their real roadblock is the Cavaliers.

Well we sure as hell know its not the Mavs.

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Scenario:

Tim Duncan goes up for a 3 foot hook shot, the ball rims out. Bonner gets the rebound right under the hoop and has Perkins OR Big Baby on him at the time. We need this basket to win...

Will Bonner have the toughness to get the ball through the net? Or will he get stuffed like he does 80% of the time????

That's what I'm talking about.

Reck
12-12-2008, 09:04 PM
The Boston are a bunch of dirty ass mofos.

Anyone watching the Bos/NOH game?

They are hustling the Hornets and the refs aren't doing crap about it.

galvatron3000
12-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Seriously, I remember the last defending champs that had a swagger and played the Spurs in the Finals lost in 7 and they swore up and down before and after that the title rightfully belonged to them. (lol)

The only thing I give the Celtics over the Spurs is atheleticism. That may hurt us in a 7 game series against those guys especially on the glass.

MarHill
12-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Seriously, I remember the last defending champs that had a swagger and played the Spurs in the Finals lost in 7 and they swore up and down before and after that the title rightfully belonged to them. (lol)

The only thing I give the Celtics over the Spurs is atheleticism. That may hurt us in a 7 game series against those guys especially on the glass.

They may hurt us with their athleticism....but I will take Duncan, Parker, & Ginobili(when all are healthy) against anybody in the league.

The key will be the role players....that's why it's important for Hill, Mason, & Bonner to be playing well right now..because we will need their production in the playoffs.

:flag:

mrspurs
12-13-2008, 09:08 AM

This season was over before it started. Time flys when your having fun. If you could only make a kid understand just how fast time flys you might get them to stop and listen for a spell. Its a good thing there are still some parents out there who set great examples for their kids. If the kids here at this site ruled the world. Everything would be f that and f this. And whateverrrrrrr.....:king

manubili
12-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Scenario:

Tim Duncan goes up for a 3 foot hook shot, the ball rims out. Bonner gets the rebound right under the hoop and has Perkins OR Big Baby on him at the time. We need this basket to win...

Will Bonner have the toughness to get the ball through the net? Or will he get stuffed like he does 80% of the time????

That's what I'm talking about.

Scola thread?

michaelwcho
12-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Swagger doesn't win ballgames, being good does. The Spurs have never strutted around like peacocks, but they've often been very good. Swagger doesn't put the ball in the basket, nor does it prevent the other team from doing so. Good offense execution and intensity do that.

superbigtime
12-13-2008, 02:40 PM
don't worry about Hill man. He is fearless and I've seen him pissed a couple times after some hard fouls. He definitely has self confidence. Finley is playing like he has something to prove. I don't think his demeanor is shaky at all. Look, Spurs are real men. They put their heads down and go to work. They don't need a running chest bump and all that shit to get themselves going or to celebrate after trivial accomplishments. They don't have the fragile egos of young teams or the immaturity of idiots like Garnett. This team is a collection of real men from top to bottom and that's why I admire them so much.

Brazil
12-13-2008, 03:54 PM
don't worry about Hill man. He is fearless and I've seen him pissed a couple times after some hard fouls. He definitely has self confidence. Finley is playing like he has something to prove. I don't think his demeanor is shaky at all. Look, Spurs are real men. They put their heads down and go to work. They don't need a running chest bump and all that shit to get themselves going or to celebrate after trivial accomplishments. They don't have the fragile egos of young teams or the immaturity of idiots like Garnett. This team is a collection of real men from top to bottom and that's why I admire them so much.
:toast

Anti.Hero
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Swagger doesn't win ballgames, being good does. The Spurs have never strutted around like peacocks, but they've often been very good. Swagger doesn't put the ball in the basket, nor does it prevent the other team from doing so. Good offense execution and intensity do that.

That above scenario I posted conveys my message I am trying to get across in this thread I think the best.

If Bonner has the ball in his hands and Perkins on his back, he has to be ready for ANYTHING. If his head gets taken off, so be it. They (Bonner,Oberto/etc) CANNOT continue to catch the ball under the net and do these weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak assssssssssssssss 2 inch hop bank shot hooks that always get rejected.

Last night I watched Boston do this. They flew into the paint like Kamikaze jet pilots. Spurs were always the most physical nba team, but now Boston easily has that title.

daslicer
12-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Swagger doesn't win titles and its not going to help the spurs get out of the west. Matchups determine whether or not you can win in this league and not swagger. Spurs didn't lose last year because of not having swagger. They lost to a team they didn't matchup well with due to injuries,and not much of depth on the bench. I don't think swagger would have helped the spurs win last year. I just laught at the thought of Bonner, Hill, Mason yelling and screaming like the boston role players. It would be comedy hell when I see Powe,Perkins, do it laugh.

Anti.Hero
12-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Swagger, to me, doesn't just mean chest bumping and yelling. It's attitude that you will do what you want to do regardless of your opposition.

This is an intangible that will separate reaching the finals vs wcf exit imo.

daslicer
12-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Swagger, to me, doesn't just mean chest bumping and yelling. It's attitude that you will do what you want to do regardless of your opposition.

Ok thats some vague bs its up there with the vague shit you hear on the pyschic network. How can you tell our role players don't have confidence just because they are quiet.

Also I decided copy and paste the defintion of swagger from Websters.

1: to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner ; especially : to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence
2: boast , brag

Sounds a lot like what I stated earlier.