PDA

View Full Version : Sokoudjou vs Babalu at Affliction II

dallaskd
12-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Affliction Entertainment on Thursday announced that Renato "Babalu" Sobral will face Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou at the promotion's "Day of Reckoning" event on Jan. 24 in Anaheim, Calif.

Babalu is coming off of his fourth straight victory, a win over Bobby Southworth that crowned him the new Strikeforce light heavyweight champion. The fight will be his second start for Affliction, having defeated Mike Whitehead as part of the promotion's debut in July.

It will be Sokoudjou's debut for Affliction following a disappointing attempt to break into the Ultimate Fighting Championship's light heavyweight ranks. After knocking out two Top 10 opponents while fighting for Pride Fighting Championships, Sokoudjou went 1-2 during his UFC tenure.

After Day of Reckoning was rescheduled from an October date in Las Vegas, Babalu was being matched against No. 3 ranked middleweight Matt Lindland at a catch weight. After further consideration by the promotion and Babalu's camp, however, Lindland was put back into his original Day of Reckoning match-up against Vitor Belfort, making it possible for Babalu to be paired at his natural weight of 205 pounds with Sokoudjou.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7772&zoneid=3

dallaskd
12-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Could be a sleeper, hopefully not. Tough fight but I think Soku wins this if his cardio is there and he keeps it standing.

tlongII
12-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Babalu is going to kick his ass.

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 08:16 AM
It will be Sokoudjou's debut for Affliction following a disappointing attempt to break into the Ultimate Fighting Championship's light heavyweight ranks.

:lmao

BlackSwordsMan
12-12-2008, 08:53 AM
damn dana cuts fighters fast

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Soku hasn't shown any mental toughness so far. Babalu is a very tough Vet fighter..

I. Hustle
12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I never could play Sokoudjou. I am horrible with numbers. What is Babalu though? Is it like Bejeweled? I kick ass at that game.

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I got 500 on Babalu

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I never could play Sokoudjou. I am horrible with numbers. What is Babalu though? Is it like Bejeweled? I kick ass at that game.

LOL are you talking about Soduku hahahah

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Off Topic I. Huslte has a boxing background like me. I think he and I should face off in a first ever ST toughman contest.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Off Topic I. Huslte has a boxing background like me. I think he and I should face off in a first ever ST toughman contest.

A-Train you need Anger Management.. :ihit

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:23 AM

A-Train you need Anger Management.. :ihit

LOL dude im not even angry I was just saying he and I should spar or something. I wasnt threating to kick his ass. If I was you all would know it, you have seen me call out some of these posters. Huslte is ok in my book.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 11:31 AM
LOL dude im not even angry I was just saying he and I should spar or something. I wasnt threating to kick his ass. If I was you all would know it, you have seen me call out some of these posters. Huslte is ok in my book.

A-Train you know your cool in my book, i know you were messing around, i was completely fuckin with you.. :toast

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
A-Train you know your cool in my book, i know you were messing around, i was completely fuckin with you.. :toast

Yeah I know. Its funny cause everyone on this board thinks I have a shorter fuse than Ed Herman haha. Everyone also says I have roid rage, hahah im not even sure where that started.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah I know. Its funny cause everyone on this board thinks I have a shorter fuse than Ed Herman haha.

I hope you fight better than Ed Herman.. :p:

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:43 AM
I hope you fight better than Ed Herman.. :p:

TRUST me I do hahaha. I just wanted to use the short fuse reference hahaha.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 11:46 AM
TRUST me I do hahaha. I just wanted to use the short fuse reference hahaha.

He along with Kendall actually turned into one of the bigger TUF dissapointments, who would you say was the biggest post-TUF dissapointment??

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
He along with Kendall actually turned into one of the bigger TUF dissapointments, who would you say was the biggest post-TUF dissapointment??

I would say Kendall but lately Nightmare hasnt been much of a nightmare for anyone.

SAtoDallas
12-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Hopefully Sokoudjou gets his ass kicked. I can't answer why I don't like him but I just don't.

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Hopefully Sokoudjou gets his ass kicked. I can't answer why I don't like him but I just don't.

lol he probably will he sucks

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I would say Kendall but lately Nightmare hasnt been much of a nightmare for anyone.

Kendall actually showed the most improvement on the show from start to finish but after he won a few fights post-TUF, he got exposed for having a glass chin.

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Kendall actually showed the most improvement on the show from start to finish but after he won a few fights post-TUF, he got exposed for having a glass chin.

Yeah I feel bad for him, I liked and still like him. He needs new nickname though. There is only one Spider in MMA and his last name is Silva.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 12:06 PM
He's also freakishly skinny. He is like 6'6 fighting at 185. I don't think he could fight at 205 either, because his frame just would not put the mass on in a way that would make him much stronger IMO..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 12:08 PM
He's also freakishly skinny. He is like 6'6 fighting at 185. I don't think he could fight at 205 either, because his frame just would not put the mass on in a way that would make him much stronger IMO..

Yeah but he had that reach, but once exposed your never the same....See Houston Alexander.

I. Hustle
12-12-2008, 12:08 PM

That would be badass. They could all drink and watch. I might even have access to a gym. MIGHT. It is Tony Ayala's gym on the WEST SIDE

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 12:09 PM
That would be badass. They could all drink and watch. I might even have access to a gym. MIGHT. It is Tony Ayala's gym on the WEST SIDE

DUDE i live in Austin I have no idea where that is hahaha. I train up at Lord's boxing here in Austin.

I. Hustle
12-12-2008, 12:09 PM
I got 500 on Babalu

ppffffttt I got like over 48,000 on Bejeweled

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 12:14 PM

It's not that Soku sucks, it's that... well yeah he sucks... :lol

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
It's not that Soku sucks, it's that... well yeah he sucks... :lol

LOL yeah I see what your trying to say hahahaha

dallaskd
12-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Well he has KO'd 2 two then top light 10 heavyweights and he has lost to two top LHWs recently. And he sucks? What the fuck has Cain Velasquez done lately?

Tres_Till_it_MHz
12-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Get off his nutts already, Soku sucks. And I am not even a hardcore MMA fan and I can see it.

djohn14
12-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Well he has KO'd 2 two then top light 10 heavyweights and he has lost to two top LHWs recently. And he sucks? What the fuck has Cain Velasquez done lately?

Wow now, dont go hating on Cain Velasquez.

dbreiden83080
12-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Wow now, dont go hating on Cain Velasquez.

:lol

I was waiting on you for this one...

ATRAIN
12-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Get off his nutts already, Soku sucks. And I am not even a hardcore MMA fan and I can see it.

LMAO, wow even non MMA fans can tell he sucks.

dbreiden83080
12-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Soku has talent but he is amazingly one dimensional right now. His last fight, he basically just kept loading up with a big right leg kick, to the body and took 2 steps back, as if he was waiting for his opponent to fall down.. :lol

He also lacks mental toughness in my view right now..

ATRAIN
12-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Soku has talent but he is amazingly one dimensional right now. His last fight, he basically just kept loading up with a big right leg kick, to the body and took 2 steps back, as if he was waiting for his opponent to fall down.. :lol

He also lacks mental toughness in my view right now..

So basically he sucks?

djohn14
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
:lol

I was waiting on you for this one...

Lol, well I know what he hasnt done lately...lost..Im a huge soku fan, but lets not drag Cain into it...who by the way will be fighting at Fight Night 17. This is the current card just so ya know

Hermes Franca vs. Joe Lauzon
Mac Danzig vs. Josh Neer
Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone
Cain Velasquez vs. TBA

dbreiden83080
12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
So basically he sucks?

For now yeah, but he's young so we'll see in a year or two..

dbreiden83080
12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Lol, well I know what he hasnt done lately...lost..Im a huge soku fan, but lets not drag Cain into it...who by the way will be fighting at Fight Night 17. This is the current card just so ya know

Hermes Franca vs. Joe Lauzon
Mac Danzig vs. Josh Neer
Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone
Cain Velasquez vs. TBA

Not a bad card, Danzig needs a comeback win..

djohn14
12-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Not a bad card, Danzig needs a comeback win..

Thats true...Now this is just an educated guess...im not pulling it out of my ass, but at the same time there isnt anything ive heard to tell me it will happen, but I think Cain will be facing Jeff Monson.

dbreiden83080
12-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Thats true...Now this is just an educated guess...im not pulling it out of my ass, but at the same time there isnt anything ive heard to tell me it will happen, but I think Cain will be facing Jeff Monson.

Interesting, haven't seen him in the UFC since his horrendous fight with Tim at UFC 65, why do you think he'll be there? Would be a good test for Cain..

ATRAIN
12-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Interesting, haven't seen him in the UFC since his horrendous fight with Tim at UFC 65, why do you think he'll be there? Would be a good test for Cain..

Cain would lose :)

djohn14
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM

Well, he said he is returning at Fight Night 17, Monson has stated he would like to come back to the UFC, he has won his last 3 fights, including a decision win over Ricco Rodriguez, and since he is recognized by a lot of UFC fans, a win over him would put Cain on the map...and No ATRAIN lol Cain would not lose.

Evan
12-17-2008, 09:05 PM
damn dana cuts fighters fast

The UFC never used to cut fighters as fast as they do now. I think they are staving off any potential money problems.

The UFC has a motto of "no cans and if you're a big name, prove it" Sokoudjou is proof of it horribly backfiring while Lesnar was a smashing success.

Sokoudjou has massive potential but he is so green. He will be back, I have no doubt. Sadly Babalu will kick his ass handily and I wish he had signed up with DREAM or K-1.

dbreiden83080
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Soku looks like right now, if he can't get you out of there quickly on the feet, he falls apart completely. Babulu is such an experienced vet, he won't get away with that..

Evan
12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Soku looks like right now, if he can't get you out of there quickly on the feet, he falls apart completely. Babulu is such an experienced vet, he won't get away with that..

MMA is such a mental game...............

...............and

Sokoudjou has no mental game....

that will come with time with the RIGHT camp. And team Quest is not the right camp. He needs to go somewhere that will force him to use his Judo and that isn't quest, couture or jackson. he probably needs to go train with Okami for a bit and come back to jackson's gym. He will fail as long as he is with team quest.

dbreiden83080
12-17-2008, 09:16 PM
MMA is such a mental game...............

...............and

Sokoudjou has no mental game....

that will come with time with the RIGHT camp. And team Quest is not the right camp. He needs to go somewhere that will force him to use his Judo and that isn't quest, couture or jackson. he probably needs to go train with Okami for a bit and come back to jackson's gym. He will fail as long as he is with team quest.

:toast

Ah Evan we missed ya..

Evan
12-17-2008, 09:23 PM
thanks budday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dallaskd
12-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Winner of Babalu-Soku will fight Tito Ortiz.

-MMA Live

dallaskd
12-18-2008, 10:42 PM
"sucks" is a harsh word for a guy who destroyed Nog and Arona. And he lost to Machida, who is impossible to beat and then Cane, who IMO is a top 10 LHW and was a better striker to begin with. Saying he sucks is like putting him in the same class as Eddie Sanchez.

dallaskd
12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
...and he's 24. Once he hits prime in 7 or so years don't try and hop on the bandwagon...

dallaskd
12-18-2008, 10:47 PM

Andre lost to Tim Sylvia...twice.

dbreiden83080
12-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Winner of Babalu-Soku will fight Tito Ortiz.

-MMA Live

Anytime i say Tito can win a fight he loses, so i am gonna say he gets smoked and hope for the best.. :lol