PDA

View Full Version : Spurs At The Midway Point

GSH
12-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Looking at the way the Spurs are playing and their upcoming schedule, I am guessing that their record at the midway point of the season will be 28-13. That means that they will have to go 15-5 over the next 20 games, but unless they get complacent against someone like Minnesota or Philly, I think they will do at least that well.

Part of the 15-5 prediction is that we are coming to what should be a soft spot in the schedule - Memphis twice, Minnesota twice, OKC, etc. But also, the Spurs are just playing that good. Since that miserable 0-3 start, they have gone 13-5. (And Finley rimmed a good shot at the buzzer in Phoenix that would have made it 14-4.) The team has steadily improved during that 13-5 run so, barring any more injuries, 15-5 doesn't look like a stretch at all. If they can stay focused, and not give any games away against the really bad teams, they could even be a game or two better than that.

In the previous two seasons, the Spurs won a Championship and made it to the Western Conference Finals. And in both of those seasons, their record at the midway point was... yep... 28-13. It feels like the Spurs have gotten off to such a bad start, and it's been in my mind that if they have a strong second half, they will at least be in the mix by playoff time. But it's not going to take that long for them to be solidly back on track.

Maybe nobody else finds it all that surprising, but after what feels like a terrible start, the Spurs could easily have the exact same record halfway through the season as they had the past two campaigns. And those were two pretty successful seasons. Obviously the games still have to be played, but I will be shocked if we are any more than one game behind where we were those two years. And if that's the case, the outlook for the second half may be even better.
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Biggems
12-12-2008, 01:28 AM
are you sure you didn't mean the Portland game, with regards to the Finley shot?

GSH
12-12-2008, 01:43 AM
are you sure you didn't mean the Portland game, with regards to the Finley shot?

You're right, it was the Portland game. The shot looked good and rattled out.

The point is still the same. I think a lot of people, including some Spurs fans, will be shocked as hell when we have the same record after 41 games that we had the last two seasons. As bad as those first couple of weeks felt, this will look like any other season pretty soon.

honestfool84
12-12-2008, 01:45 AM
is it just me, or does the west not look so tough this year?

honestfool84
12-12-2008, 01:46 AM

as tough as it was supposed to look.

tp2021
12-12-2008, 02:38 AM
I speculated it before, and it looks like its happening as I predicted. The West, like last year, will have a lot of teams with very similar records. Unlike last year, the wins won't be as numerous.

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 04:09 AM

I agree, however I do not think many of the teams have come anywhere near to reaching their end of season potential yet.