PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Duncan On Pace For All-Star Start

duncan228
12-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Spurs Notebook: Duncan on pace for All-Star start (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Notebook_Duncan_on_pace_for_All-Star_start.html)
By Jeff McDonald

MINNEAPOLIS — No controversy this year. Tim Duncan is on a healthy pace to make his 10th consecutive All-Star start.

Duncan leads all Western Conference forwards in the early balloting, results of which were released Thursday. So far, the Spurs' captain has garnered 442,203 votes, nearly 72,000 more than the second-leading vote recipient at the position, Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire.

There was a mini brouhaha last season, when Duncan originally appeared as a center on the ballot for the first time, pitting him against Yao Ming and his sizeable Chinese voting bloc.

Eventually, the league moved Duncan to his more familiar power-forward slot. There should be no such hullabaloo this year.

Among guards, the Spurs' Manu Ginobili ranks fourth (166,981 votes) while Tony Parker ranks sixth (161,368). Both players have been injured for significant chunks of the season, but both guards also enjoy a fanatic international following.

The NBA's surprising leading vote-getter so far? Orlando center Dwight Howard, whose 775,933 votes outpoll league superstars LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.

Voting continues through Jan. 11 for paper balloting, and through Jan. 19 for online and wireless balloting.

Red rockin': There are six Spurs players scoring in double figures this season. Matt Bonner is doing his best to make it seven.

Bonner has started the past five games at center, averaging 11 points in those games. The6-foot-10 Bonner has gone 8 of 16 from the 3-point stripe during that span, successfully filling the role Robert Horry used to play for the Spurs.

Over the past month, Bonner has increased his scoring average by nearly five points, up to 7.6 per game.

“I think he's a good complement to Timmy (Duncan),” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “He spreads the floor for us, like Robert used to do.”

Also aiding Bonner's bid for minutes has been his rebounding. Bonner had a season-high 13 rebounds in Wednesday night's victory over Atlanta.

“He's a natural rebounder,” Popovich said. “He goes to the boards, all the time. You never have to get on him about it.”

Votes of confidence: It remains to be seen whether Ginobili's return to the bench Wednesday night was a one-time deal, made necessary by the grueling back-to-back schedule, or something more permanent.

What Popovich would like to make permanent are steady minutes for three key role players — Bonner, Roger Mason Jr., and George Hill.

Mason started in Ginobili's place against Atlanta, while Hill has been key backing up Parker — even finishing Wednesday's game after Parker struggled.

“They're going to get my confidence, because I think that's the way we're going to be the best team we can be,” Popovich said. “I think I'll have to live through some mistakes here and there, some teaching moments.

“Those guys would have to play badly for about 37 games in a row before I change it.”

timtonymanu
12-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Spurs Notebook: Duncan on pace for All-Star start (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Notebook_Duncan_on_pace_for_All-Star_start.html)
By Jeff McDonald

MINNEAPOLIS — No controversy this year. Tim Duncan is on a healthy pace to make his 10th consecutive All-Star start.

wouldnt this be his 11th?

Manufan909
12-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Glad to see Bonner get some love from Pop. I hope he averages 25-28 minutes by the end of the season.

Spur-Addict
12-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Gpfoat

duncan228
12-12-2008, 02:09 AM
wouldnt this be his 11th?

11th game, 10th start. He wasn't a starter in '98.

...to make his 10th consecutive All-Star start.

ClingingMars
12-12-2008, 02:14 AM
glad to see yet another McDonald article that tells us what we already know.

:tu

-Mars

timtonymanu
12-12-2008, 02:16 AM

oh yeah. sorry i forgot there was a lockout in 99.

T Park
12-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Bonner needs to be averaging about 32 minutes a game.

He's earned it, and he deserves to show he can play those minutes consistently.

T Park
12-12-2008, 02:17 AM
oh yeah. sorry i forgot there was a lockout in 99.

97-98 was his rookie year and I believe he came off the bench with Robinson.

Didn't start.

99 doesn't count in the consecutive starting streak IIRC.

Blackjack
12-12-2008, 02:17 AM
What Popovich would like to make permanent are steady minutes for three key role players — Bonner, Roger Mason Jr., and George Hill.

Mason started in Ginobili's place against Atlanta, while Hill has been key backing up Parker — even finishing Wednesday's game after Parker struggled.

“They're going to get my confidence, because I think that's the way we're going to be the best team we can be,” Popovich said. “I think I'll have to live through some mistakes here and there, some teaching moments.

“Those guys would have to play badly for about 37 games in a row before I change it.”

DannyT
12-12-2008, 02:26 AM
bonners a natural rebounder....league leader

Rapper
12-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Duncan is such a 800-pound gorilla of power- forward slot of all time.

I have been voting for Duncan 50 time a day so far. Please root for my effort.

But don't ask me that how do i vote for Timmy 50 time a day.

naico
12-12-2008, 05:47 AM

Yup, nice to hear that.

polandprzem
12-12-2008, 06:40 AM

Yea Timmy had 2 points ofa beutifull turnaround and that's it.
He could make a three at the end though ... it was realy close.