PDA

View Full Version : Mir Explains Lesnar's Rise

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with some of what he says but it's also clear he is trying to hype the re-match with him and Brock if he beats Nog..

http://www.mmaweekly.com/blog/2008/12/mir-explains-lesnars-rise.asp

MMA Insider Blog RSS Feed

Friday, December 12, 2008
Mir Explains Lesnar's Rise

"Frank Mir gets why Brock Lesnar is UFC heavyweight champion. Lesnar is big, strong, but most of all, marketable.

In a teleconference for "The Ultimate Fighter" season eight finale that takes place this Saturday, Mir admitted that the heavyweight landscape had shifted dramatically, but not surprisingly.

"Our sport is twofold: one is your performance in the ring, second is the draw you cause with ticket sales and pay per view buys," he said. "It's a combination of those two that enable the 'ranking system' if you really want to put a ranking system, of who gets title shots and who doesn't. For example, Cain Velasquez, (a) phenomenal heavyweight fighter, but very few people are talking about him. He's very formidable in the ring; outside the ring, I don't know how many tickets he sells.

"But then you have Brock Lesnar, who has phenomenal fan appeal sells tons of tickets. He was 1-1 in the UFC, and he gets a title shot."

Mir has been fighting in the Octagon since 2001, and has gotten used to the breaks. The organization's politics still grate with his vision of the fighter as martial artist, but he's learned to let it go.

"I could point to Jon Fitch who was 8-0 before he got a title shot," he said. "Is that right? No, but guess what, this isn't like an Olympic sport where (it's) number one guy versus number two guy. It's like boxing; it has that entertainment value to where if no one wants to see you fight, you can be 30-0 and it won't matter. No one cares."

To Mir, Lesnar's title grab was a mixture of business and probability. Lesnar got there because of his stature, but won the title because of the unpredictable nature of the sport. If anything, the victory reinforced his misgivings about the way marketing decides who fights who.

"With Brock getting that first shot at Randy, did I think that was acceptable?" Mir asked. "No, I think people have to work their way up a little bit more, but that's just me as a fighter. And I realized that's why I think people need to work their way through the ranks, because anybody on any given day can get caught with a shot and lose. So now you have the champ who's 2-1 in the UFC, and I think that's what a lot of people are now upset about. But again, people buy tickets to see Brock Lesnar. That's the way it is."

Should Mir be victorious against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 92 on Dec. 27, he will get a chance to defeat the man he's already beaten, and in the process, mark the biggest achievement in his career. So while Mir isn't necessarily thrilled that Lesnar is the new champ, he's just one step away from proving that art can overtake commerce"

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with some of what he says but it's also clear he is trying to hype the re-match with him and Brock if he beats Nog..

Man Mir needs to take it a fight at a time. He is going to get smashed by Nog

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Frank Mir gets why Brock Lesnar is UFC heavyweight champion. Lesnar is big, strong, but most of all, marketable.

what a damn hater..........HE BEAT RANDY MIR, thats why he is champ......yes you got lucky and beat him but try and do it again if you can get passed Nog.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Man Mir needs to take it a fight at a time. He is going to get smashed by Nog

Agreed but a rematch with Brock means a lot of PPV buys, so why not start early i guess he feels. And he didn't bash Brock, but he is laying the groundwork for doing it, should he beat Nog..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Agreed but a rematch with Brock means a lot of PPV buys, so why not start early i guess he feels. And he didn't bash Brock, but he is laying the groundwork for doing it, should he beat Nog..

He is hating talking about this and that about the sport. I see where he is coming from and im would be frustrated if a rookie surpassed me but fact of the matter he beat Randy. BOTTOM LINE. Mir wouldnt have beat Randy IMO.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Oh i agree, i mean Brock smashed Herring and all those that discounted it, had to deal with Brock taking out their MMA hero Randy in 2 rds. Randy was somewhat competitive but that fight was not overly close. Brock was never in danger of losing it..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh i agree, i mean Brock smashed Herring and all those that discounted it, had to deal with Brock taking out their MMA hero Randy in 2 rds. Randy was somewhat competitive but that fight was not overly close. Brock was never in danger of losing it..

Yeah I think if Mir Brock 1 had never happened then Mir would be shitting his pants right now. Shit after that ass whooping he took the first time he is prob scared and running his mouth trying to cover his fear up. He knows he wont face the same Brock he did the first time and I hope MIR wins so Brock can smash his face one more time.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Mirs's subs are still awesome though and Brock's JJ will not catch up with Franks, just like Frank's wrestling will not catch up to Brocks. But i think in a rematch, Brock will keep it standing and KO Frank. Mir's stand-up is not very good, Brock hits like a truck and his timing is getting better with every fight..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Mirs's subs are still awesome though and Brock's JJ will not catch up with Franks, just like Frank's wrestling will not catch up to Brocks. But i think in a rematch, Brock will keep it standing and KO Frank. Mir's stand-up is not very good, Brock hits like a truck and his timing is getting better with every fight..

Well Brock just has to lean on him like he did Herring and Randy. Frank got lucky last time and exposed his weakness (which I know isnt luck) but had brock kept pounding him and not gone to the ground Mir wouldnt be where he is now.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Well Brock just has to lean on him like he did Herring and Randy. Frank got lucky last time and exposed his weakness (which I know isnt luck) but had brock kept pounding him and not gone to the ground Mir wouldnt be where he is now.

Brock stood right up in Mir's guard, it was a complete Rookie mistake on his part. But leaning on Herring and Randy is different than Mir because of his Subs. All Herring could do is try and scramble back to his feet. I really think Brocks camp would train his hands a lot for that fight. Use the wrestling to keep it up. From what i've seen in the Herring and Randy fight, Brock can KO Mir..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Brock stood right up in Mir's guard, it was a complete Rookie mistake on his part. But leaning on Herring and Randy is different than Mir because of his Subs. All Herring could do is try and scramble back to his feet. I really think Brocks camp would train his hands a lot for that fight. Use the wrestling to keep it up. From what i've seen in the Herring and Randy fight, Brock can KO Mir..

I think Mir will take less to KO than Herring or Randy IMO.

robbie380
12-12-2008, 02:21 PM
who cares mir...you ain't gonna have a chance to fight him. nog will own lesnar. if fedor can't knock nog out then there is no way in hell lesnar can.

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 02:22 PM
who cares mir...you ain't gonna have a chance to fight him. nog will own lesnar. if fedor can't knock nog out then there is no way in hell lesnar can.

Triple XL sized gloves is all I have to say.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Nog is not the same fighter that Fedor beat up and while it is a tough fight, i think Brock can win. Herring and Sylvia outstruck Nog lately..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Nog is not the same fighter that Fedor beat up and while it is a tough fight, i think Brock can win. Herring and Sylvia outstruck Nog lately..

My only fear with Nog is his ground game. If Lesnar keeps it standing up he is going to destroy him........book it.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 02:35 PM
My only fear with Nog is his ground game. If Lesnar keeps it standing up he is going to destroy him........book it.

Agreed

LOL you and i have basically been having a 2 man chat in here all day.. Work must be slow for you too.. :lol

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Agreed

LOL you and i have basically been having a 2 man chat in here all day.. Work must be slow for you too.. :lol

Yeah man Friday's everyone is on weekend mode so my workload isnt too bad, but if something breaks then im working but luckily nothing has. When is the Brock vs Nog/Mir fight supposed to take place? Month?

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Don't think any date has been announced on that, i would guess in the spring sometime, right around when Forrest or Rashad fights the winner of Wandy and Rampage..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Don't think any date has been announced on that, i would guess in the spring sometime, right around when Forrest or Rashad fights the winner of Wandy and Rampage..

Yeah I was thinking prob march or april, maybe on the hughes vs serra card.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I know i read recently that Brock only took like a week off and got right back to the gym and training. Not sparring because he needed stitches but rolling and stuff. So he is staying sharp, knowing what's in front of him..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I know i read recently that Brock only took like a week off and got right back to the gym and training. Not sparring because he needed stitches but rolling and stuff. So he is staying sharp, knowing what's in front of him..

WOW you see work ethic man, he is putting a lot of vets to shame right now. He has the eye of the tiger and intends to make his mark in the UFC. If I ever win the lotto im going to pay to train right beside him. That training makes me wanna cry everytime I see it. Its so intense.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 02:55 PM
No doubt and that is why i get annoyed when some people talk bad about Brock not deserving to be here. It's like, do you guys have any idea how hard-core this guy is training and committed he is to being a success in MMA..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
No doubt and that is why i get annoyed when some people talk bad about Brock not deserving to be here. It's like, do you guys have any idea how hard-core this guy is training and committed he is to being a success in MMA..

I understand why they say it. He is still a rookie and is hyped up, but he has proven himself IMO.

dbreiden83080
12-12-2008, 03:00 PM
More along the lines of those that say "he's just a phony ass wrestler", that life is behind him now..

ATRAIN
12-12-2008, 03:02 PM
More along the lines of those that say "he's just a phony ass wrestler", that life is behind him now..

Those that said that didnt know he was a NCAA champ. Lesnar was smart in doing what he did. He made millions in WWE.

dallaskd
12-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Frank Mir gets why Brock Lesnar is UFC heavyweight champion. Lesnar is big, strong, but most of all, marketable.

what a damn hater..........HE BEAT RANDY MIR, thats why he is champ......yes you got lucky and beat him but try and do it again if you can get passed Nog.

How did he get lucky? He straight up beat him. Lucky is Scott Smith's miracle punch on Pete Sell. Would you call Nog lucky for beating Sylvia after getting clobbered? Is Matt Hughes lucky for beating Frank Trigg after he almost got tapped? Or is lucky Arlovski getting his ass KO'd after he basically had Sylvia out. It's called a fucking fight, shit happens, and how you can make some tap out and call that "lucky" is beyond me.

dallaskd
12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Triple XL sized gloves is all I have to say.

Carwin has bigger...

stop sucking this guys cock. gloves don't win fights...

polandprzem
12-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Brock 4xl
Carwin 5xl

what's the difference?

The thing right now is how Dana will react to this comment?
We all know that he hates the critics and esp. from fighters in ufc.

dbreiden83080
12-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Carwin has bigger...

stop sucking this guys cock. gloves don't win fights...

Oh please.. :rolleyes

Your boy Randy got it handed to him, get over it..

angelbelow
12-16-2008, 01:51 AM
nog vs lesnar is a better fight for me.

BlackSwordsMan
12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
mir better watch what he says about dick chest

ATRAIN
12-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Oh please.. :rolleyes

Your boy Randy got it handed to him, get over it..

Guess Dallas is still mad about that.