PDA

View Full Version : Powell: GOP 'polarization' backfired in election

George Gervin's Afro
12-12-2008, 01:10 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/12/11/powell-gop-polarization-backfired-in-election/

Powell: GOP 'polarization' backfired in election
Posted: 07:01 PM ET

Powell says the GOP tried to use 'polarization for political advantage.'
(CNN) — The Republican party must stop "shouting at the world" and start listening to minority groups if it is to win elections in the 21st century, former Secretary of State Colin Powell said Thursday.

In an interview with CNN's Fareed Zakaria for Sunday's "GPS" program, President Bush's former secretary of state said his party's attempt "to use polarization for political advantage" backfired last month.

"I think the party has to take a hard look at itself," Powell said in the interview, which was taped Wednesday. "There is nothing wrong with being conservative. There is nothing wrong with having socially conservative views — I don't object to that. But if the party wants to have a future in this country, it has to face some realities. In another 20 years, the majority in this country will be the minority."

Powell, who crossed party lines and endorsed President-elect Barack Obama just weeks before the election, said the GOP must see what is in the "hearts and minds" of African-American, Hispanic and Asian voters "and not just try to influence them by… the principles and dogma."

"I think the party has to stop shouting at the world and at the country,"Powell said. "I think that the party has to take a hard look at itself, and I've talked to a number of leaders in recent weeks and they understand that." Powell, who says he still considers himself a Republican, said his party should also stop listening to conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

"Can we continue to listen to Rush Limbaugh?" Powell asked. "Is this really the kind of party that we want to be when these kinds of spokespersons seem to appeal to our lesser instincts rather than our better instincts?"

Zakaria's full interview with Powell will air Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on CNN

I wonder if Yoni thinks Powell is a traitor.

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Conservative values do not discriminate by race. They are about individual strength.

The left's games of class warfare, race-baiting, etc have grown a generation who are so ignorant to conservatism that they will never see the light. 50 years from now the government will still be bending them over and they will still be angry/poor.

The very idea that we must bend our values (not talking social values, I don't give a shit about those) to cater to minorities as if our values actually hurt minorities because we simply don't resort to handouts for votes is aboslutely laughable.

Powell can go fuck himself.

8ft.tall.tejano
12-12-2008, 01:18 PM
if the libertarians hi-jacked the GOP they might actually have a chance in the next 20 years........

basically what that party needs to do is lose the taliban style religious tyranny.......

George Gervin's Afro
12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Conservative values do not discriminate by race. They are about individual strength.

The left's games of class warfare, race-baiting, etc have grown a generation who are so ignorant to conservatism that they will never see the light.

As opposed to the right's gay bashing?

George Gervin's Afro
12-12-2008, 01:21 PM

The left's games of class warfare, race-baiting, etc have grown a generation who are so ignorant to conservatism that they will never see the light. 50 years from now the government will still be bending them over and they will still be angry/poor.

The very idea that we must bend our values (not talking social values, I don't give a shit about those) to cater to minorities as if our values actually hurt minorities because we simply don't resort to handouts for votes is aboslutely laughable.

Individual strentgh? What about those folks who work two jobs but still can't afford healthcare? How about people who suffer catostrophic injuries who lose their homes because of medical bills? What is the right's response? Individual strentgh...:rolleyes

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Most people do not want gay marriage for many different reasons, yet Americans are bombarded with liberals in the media/t.v./hollywood/celebs/etc calling you hateful and all other nasty words simply because you disagree.

They are allowed to tell you it is right, yet you cannot say it is wrong. People vote, and the government still overturns them.

The only reason gays want gay marriage is to enforce the idea of homosexuality as the norm to the rest of the country.

clambake
12-12-2008, 01:22 PM

thats what powell just said to you, except with intelligence and grace.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Most people do not want gay marriage
including obama

Anti.Hero
thats what powell just said to you, except with intelligence and grace.

lmao, I doubt you have the intelligence to understand a) why he is doing this b) how much of a joke it is to think conservatives should bend their values to cater to those who are not intelligent enough themselves to understand how the left manipulates them.

Viva Las Espuelas
i see powell is still bitter.

clambake
12-12-2008, 01:27 PM
i see powell is still bitter.

and right.

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 01:29 PM
The only problem the right has is that conservative values (not talking social) are not the easy way out. Fiscal responsibility is not the easy way out. Because of this, they have a hard time conveying conservative values to the people. They are HORRIBLE at it. Few true conservatives even exist anymore! The left brainwashing the young that the right are all racists/against the "common man/bigots/etc does not make it any easier. Ron Paul told people the truth and not political garbage like every other candidate, and he is laughed at by both Dems and Republicans.

Instead of getting down to business, Powell wants even more RINO's in government to start looking like the left.

clambake
12-12-2008, 01:30 PM
lmao, I doubt you have the intelligence to understand a) why he is doing this b) how much of a joke it is to think conservatives should bend their values to cater to those who are not intelligent enough themselves to understand how the left manipulates them.

:lol about a month ago the country decided that conservatives are the joke.

you can't even hear the laughter. it's directed at you.

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 01:30 PM

If you had any wisdom you would know that the masses are usually wrong and only a small percentage find true success in life.

Thank god I had such a great father to teach me this stuff.

8ft.tall.tejano
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
what the right lost (and i'll admit the left has a hard time w/) is w/personal responsibilty.....they got too into what other people were doing in their free time and not enough into how to let people be themselves...if they could get that back

clambake
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Instead of getting down to business, Powell wants even more RINO's in government to start looking like the left.

:lol and still more denials.

clambake
12-12-2008, 01:34 PM
If you had any wisdom you would know that the masses are usually wrong and only a small percentage find true success in life.

Thank god I had such a great father to teach me this stuff.

he taught you that the masses are wrong?

ChumpDumper
12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I wonder if Yoni thinks Powell is a traitor.Of course he is -- he's talking to a Muslim!

Anti.Hero
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM

I should clarify this, I believe this too be true

however Bush really screwing things up plus McCain being a horrible candidate who ran a pathetic campaign was a bigger factor.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Most people do not want gay marriage for many different reasons, yet Americans are bombarded with liberals in the media/t.v./hollywood/celebs/etc calling you hateful and all other nasty words simply because you disagree.

They are allowed to tell you it is right, yet you cannot say it is wrong. People vote, and the government still overturns them.

The only reason gays want gay marriage is to enforce the idea of homosexuality as the norm to the rest of the country.

you're wrong new polls show a total reversal on that.

And young people overwhelmingly support gay rights.

The problem with being a social conservative, is that you have to know that in 20 years everything you think will be disavowed by future generations, but you don't care.

Yonivore
12-12-2008, 03:22 PM
you're wrong new polls show a total reversal on that.
If that were true, the measure would have been successful in, of all places, California.

And young people overwhelmingly support gay rights.
Yeah, but that'll pass by the time they're old enough to care enough to vote.

The problem with being a social conservative, is that you have to know that in 20 years everything you think will be disavowed by future generations, but you don't care.
The more things change the more they stay the same.

If you're in your under 30 and a Republican, you're heartless. If you're over 30 and a Democrat, you're stupid. That old maxim holds true...that's why older Americans predominantly vote Republican and that's why Democrats spend so much time trying to indoctrinate the MTV crowd.

Wild Cobra
12-14-2008, 11:48 AM

Since when has not accepting SPECIAL RIGHTS, become Gay Bashing? That's all the right does, with the exception of a very small handful.

Oh that's right. You Kool-Aid Drinking Lemmings believe the propaganda of the left...

Wild Cobra
12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Individual strentgh? What about those folks who work two jobs but still can't afford healthcare? How about people who suffer catostrophic injuries who lose their homes because of medical bills? What is the right's response? Individual strentgh...:rolleyes

If you want a Nanny State, move to one. Don't make America in the image of others.

Wild Cobra
12-14-2008, 11:52 AM

No, people like you are a joke. If you think McCain is a conservative, You are a total idiot.

clambake
12-14-2008, 11:55 AM
who's mccain? i thought he was running against palin.

Wild Cobra
12-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Fixed:

And young people overwhelmingly support Special Rights.

Wild Cobra
12-14-2008, 11:58 AM
who's mccain? i thought he was running against palin.

When McCain won the primaries, the election was already lost for the GOP. The republican base does not vote for RINO's. It was amazing that McCain/Palin did as good as they did. Almost a miracle, and McCain would have never had a chance without her.

ChumpDumper
12-14-2008, 01:25 PM
When McCain won the primaries, the election was already lost for the GOP. The republican base does not vote for RINO's.They did in 2000 and 2004. Hell, they have repeatedly done so in almost every election since 1960. Goldwater was pretty much the only exception.

Republicans lost because they fucked up so badly when they were in complete control of all branches of government. They had their chance.

clambake
12-14-2008, 02:44 PM
i didn't know huckleberry and giuliani and thompson and paul were rino's.

Darrin
12-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Colin Powell? He has a voice?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/02/20030205-1.html

George Gervin's Afro
12-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Since when has not accepting SPECIAL RIGHTS, become Gay Bashing? That's all the right does, with the exception of a very small handful.

Oh that's right. You Kool-Aid Drinking Lemmings believe the propaganda of the left...

special rights? as opposed to civil rights? What propaganda refers to the state taking away civil rights?

Anti.Hero
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Rush speaks.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_121508/content/01125106.guest.html

Great people take stands on principle, not moderation.

clambake
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Rush speaks.

thanks for the warning. do not open.

George Gervin's Afro
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Rush speaks.

he plays the victim as usual..

Wild Cobra
12-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Rush speaks.

I didn't read the whole transcript, but he's dead-on with the points I did see!

clambake
12-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I didn't read the whole transcript, but he's dead-on with the points I did see!

no he isn't, but who cares. he was instrumental in pushing obama to the white house. :toast

8ft.tall.tejano
12-16-2008, 03:04 PM
didn't bother reading once i saw rush...wasn't he the same guy who continuously bashed clinton for the whole "didn't inhale" thing, only to become a none pill head?

anyways...like i mentioned before in this thread, if the repugs would only let the christian jihadist spin into their own party, and go back to being real conservatives and not strictly social conservatives then they might have a chance in the next 20 years nationwide (of course in backwoods states they will always have a home...(can we please scede east texas and the panhandle to other dumb states????)

smeagol
12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Rush is classy.

You can tell by watching that video where he makes fun of Micheal J. Fox's illness . . .

PixelPusher
12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Rush speaks.

"Great people take stands on principle, not moderation."

Yeah, like when he waited until after the GOP got it's ass handed to them in '06 to suddenly decide he "wasn't going to carry any water for this administration anymore". What a hero.

ChumpDumper
12-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Someone seriously tried to pimp Rush Limbaugh's opinion?

George Gervin's Afro
12-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Someone seriously tried to pimp Rush Limbaugh's opinion?

WC stated he was dead on.!

ClingingMars
12-16-2008, 09:11 PM
We have the winning playbook. Conservatism wins when it is on the ballot. It wasn't on the ballot this last election, hell, TRUE conservatism hasn't been on a Presidential election's ballot since Reagan.

-Mars

exstatic
12-16-2008, 10:27 PM
The GOP F'd up when they went to the Southern strategy, and basically turned into the free spending Christian Taliban.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Powell is stating the obvious. Collective DUH. His take on pakistan, georgia, and missile defense were more provocative.

ChumpDumper
12-17-2008, 04:27 AM
We have the winning playbook. Conservatism wins when it is on the ballot. It wasn't on the ballot this last election, hell, TRUE conservatism hasn't been on a Presidential election's ballot since Reagan.Actually Goldwater, but you guys are pretty gullible.