PDA

View Full Version : WTH is Ian?

Obstructed_View
12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I see he's listed out again tonight. Since I sprained my ankle, I've been thinking about him lately. What's going on with him that it's taking him this long to recover? Aren't we getting to the point where Manu recovered from ankle surgery faster than he seems to be?

xtremesteven33
12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
With Bonners messiah performance, who needs Ian???

ChumpDumper
12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Ian wasn't going to play for the Spurs most of this month regardless, and he can't play for the Toros while two other Spurs are assigned there.

MoSpur
12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
I hate to say it, but I think he's turning out to be a bust. Or worse. He could be a "Beno" in a PF/C's body.

timvp
12-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I see he's listed out again tonight. Since I sprained my ankle, I've been thinking about him lately. What's going on with him that it's taking him this long to recover? Aren't we getting to the point where Manu recovered from ankle surgery faster than he seems to be?He sprained his other ankle during rehab of his first ankle sprain. I guess the good news is that his first ankle should be close to 100% by the time the second one is ready for action.

xtremesteven33
12-12-2008, 03:57 PM
I hate to say it, but I think he's turning out to be a bust. Or worse. He could be a "Beno" in a PF/C's body.

We didnt invest much of anything for him to be considered a "bust"

Reck
12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Its starting to look like Ian could be intimidated by all this surgence by the Spurs. Specially Hill and Mason and Bonner. I have no idea why is it taking so long. I mean the guy is only 22.

Make a damn effort dude. You're looking like a soft douche that cant come off an ankle sprain that feels like it happened years ago. Geez

Obstructed_View
12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
He sprained his other ankle during rehab of his first ankle sprain. I guess the good news is that his first ankle should be close to 100% by the time the second one is ready for action.

For some reason I guess I just assumed that the second ankle wasn't as bad as the first. Now that I think about it I never actually read anything saying that, so logically it'll take twice as long.

The good news, as I've mentioned before, is this: He's spent enough time with the team that he should know where he needs to be, and getting into game shape should be his biggest problem. Another bit of good news is the great play of The Matt Bomber©. Yes, I came up with the nickname. Photoshop to follow if he keeps this up. :lol

Slomo
12-12-2008, 04:07 PM
He sprained his other ankle during rehab of his first ankle sprain. I guess the good news is that his first ankle should be close to 100% by the time the second one is ready for action.
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/Ian_Lalique.jpg

Bruno
12-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Mahinmi second ankle sprain doesn't look nearly as bad as the first one. He lightly practices with Spurs one week after it while he spend more than one month in a hard cast after the first ankle sprain.

Mahinmi next rehab step is likely to be send down again to Austin. But as CD said, Spurs will have to call back Ahearn or Tolliver while they try to evaluate them by using Toros. By looking at Toros schedule, they have a game today and tomorrow followed by a 5 days break. Maybe Spurs will send back Ian during this break if he is healthy enough.

Tully365
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
When someone sprains an ankle, no amount of "effort" is going to make it heal faster. I don't understand people questioning Mahinmi's heart or toughness at this point. Why not wait until he's healthy and then see what he brings to the Spurs?

Bruno
12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
http://nsa03.casimages.com/img/2008/12/05/081205071119416339.jpg
coming from tp9.net forum.

timvp
12-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Mahinmi second ankle sprain doesn't look nearly as bad as the first one. He lightly practices with Spurs one week after it while he spend more than one month in a hard cast after the first ankle sprain.

Mahinmi next rehab step is likely to be send down again to Austin. But as CD said, Spurs will have to call back Ahearn or Tolliver while they try to evaluate them by using Toros. By looking at Toros schedule, they have a game today and tomorrow followed by a 5 days break. Maybe Spurs will send back Ian during this break if he is healthy enough.Makes sense. Although I've seen Pop twice scoff at reporters when asked about Mahinmi. With the way Pop was talking, Mahinmi wasn't close to doing much of anything.

Luckily there is still plenty of time in the season. I won't really worry about Mahinmi until around February. Until then, him not needing minutes with the Spurs is actually letting Oberto and Thomas round into shape ... so it's not all bad.

If Bonner keeps playing at this current level, the Spurs don't need Mahinmi to be as much of a savior as it appeared earlier in the season. Now if he can provide the energy role that Tolliver played earlier, that would be nice. Giving bursts of shotblocking and athleticism would be a nice complement to what Bonner brings.

I. Hustle
12-12-2008, 05:02 PM
I still say his nickname should be the French Fagguette

MoSpur
12-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I want Ian to work. I really do. I would like to see him be a presence in the middle when it comes to defense. Him blocking about two shots a game and grabbing eight boards would be awesome. I just don't see it though. I hope its just bad luck rather than being as soft as Charmin.

Bruno
12-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Makes sense. Although I've seen Pop twice scoff at reporters when asked about Mahinmi. With the way Pop was talking, Mahinmi wasn't close to doing much of anything.

Yep, even if his both ankles are healthy in few days, he will need to get back in playing and he should stay some time in Austin.
By looking at Toros schedule ( http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/schedule ), the best case I can see for Mahinmi is being send before the December 18th game and called back after the December 27th game.

Obstructed_View
12-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Mahinmi next rehab step is likely to be send down again to Austin. But as CD said, Spurs will have to call back Ahearn or Tolliver while they try to evaluate them by using Toros. By looking at Toros schedule, they have a game today and tomorrow followed by a 5 days break. Maybe Spurs will send back Ian during this break if he is healthy enough.

Holy shit, I didn't know that. No wonder.

As the OP, I wasn't questioning his heart, I was wondering about the severity of the injury. Surely I wasn't the only person that didn't know that he'd sprained it that bad. I imagine that he probably sprained the second ankle and they suddenly realized he was relying on it because the first injury wasn't healed enough. That would explain Pop's reaction, although he's not going to allow the team to be thinking about getting help because they're going good right now.

mrspurs
12-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Meaning no disrepect but it sounds like alot of waste of nothing.....Why his name continues to come up is beyond me.

Bender
12-12-2008, 05:33 PM
so did he sprain both ankles when he wasn't even playing real basketball games? What was he doing when he sprained the first one, practice...? What about the 2nd sprain... during rehab...? What does that mean?

If he ever plays a real NBA game again, he will last about 5 min. right?

Bruno
12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
so did he sprain both ankles when he wasn't even playing real basketball games? What was he doing when he sprained the first one, practice...? What about the 2nd sprain... during rehab...? What does that mean?
If he ever plays a real NBA game again, he will last about 5 min. right?

Mahinmi sprained his right ankle at a skill camp at Las Vegas in August. He sprained his other ankle during in a D-League game a couple of weeks ago.

Now, you can think what you want. If you want to write Mahinmi off because of a big ankle sprain, it's your choice.

Manufan909
12-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Mahinmi sprained his right ankle at a skill camp at Las Vegas in August. He sprained his other ankle during in a D-League game a couple of weeks ago.

Now, you can think what you want. If you want to write Mahinmi off because of a big ankle sprain, it's your choice.

+1

I'm going to go to the "luck" side of ST, and wait for his first 10 NBA games(with a minimum of 10 min played) before I label him a bust. Right now, he just seems like the unluckiest guy in the Spurs organization. Even Gist and Malik got it better, at least they're seasoning.

timvp
Mahinmi sprained his right ankle at a skill camp at Las Vegas in August.Pete Newell's bigman camp?

Bender
I'm not writing him off, although I've been reading about him for...what... 2 years now...?

... and he's still not on the team.

edit: do I remember him playing a few games at the beginning of last season... or was it the one before...?

Bruno
12-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Pete Newell's bigman camp?

No, Tim Grgurich's camp.

timvp
12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
No, Tim Grgurich's camp.Interesting. I haven't heard of the Spurs sending anyone to that camp in a long time. From what I've heard it can be a pretty intense camp. A lot of full court action.

At this point do you consider Mahinmi injury prone or just unlucky?

Thanks.

SenorSpur
12-12-2008, 06:22 PM
After all this time away from live action, one would have to be concerned about his conditioning (or lack thereof).

Kobayagi
12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
This thread or one exactly like this one is still going to be around in 2012.

Bruno
12-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Interesting. I haven't heard of the Spurs sending anyone to that camp in a long time. From what I've heard it can be a pretty intense camp. A lot of full court action.

They also wanted to send him at this camp in 2007 but he didn't go there because of his pectoral injury.

At this point do you consider Mahinmi injury prone or just unlucky?

I don't think Mahinmi is injury prone. He hasn't had any serious injuries when he was in France and when he played in D-League last year.

He had two serious injuries : a torn pectoral in 2007 and a huge ankle sprain in 2008. I wouldn't call him injury prone because of that. An ankle sprain is the most common BB related injury and a torn pectoral is quite a fluke injury.

I'm way more concerned when I see young players with ACL or microfracture surgeries.

tp2021
12-12-2008, 06:30 PM
He had two serious injuries : a torn pectoral in 2007 and a huge ankle sprain in 2008. I wouldn't call him injury prone because of that. An ankle sprain is the most common BB related injury and a torn pectoral is quite a fluke injury.

I'm way more concerned when I see young players with ACL or microfracture surgeries.

True Dat

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-12-2008, 06:39 PM
We didnt invest much of anything for him to be considered a "bust"

I'd say he's a bust when the front office did jack shit to shore up the low post this summer. Unless you think they are excited about throwing Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto at the Lakers front line in the playoffs. And if you do, you'd be wrong.

Mr. Body
12-12-2008, 06:40 PM
People got upset when I called him injury prone last year.

mystargtr34
12-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Ive never heard a 26th pick be called a bust. The odds of him not panning out were less then they were of him becoming an NBA player, so im pleasantly surprised to see him where he is now.

When he was picked in 2004, i didnt think we would ever see him play in the NBA.

Manufan909
12-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Ive never heard a 26th pick be called a bust. The odds of him not panning out were less then they were of him becoming an NBA player, so im pleasantly surprised to see him where he is now.

When he was picked in 2004, i didnt think we would ever see him play in the NBA.

I always wondered if Pop had a chocie to go back in time, knowing he wouldn't have a chance to win the first 2 WCF games, would he have played Ian. That would give a new meaning to throwing someone into the fire.:p:

Stupid crap airplane.:bang

ChumpDumper
12-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Meaning no disrepect but it sounds like alot of waste of nothing.....Why his name continues to come up is beyond me.I mean a lot of disrespect when I say your posts suck and make no sense.

tp2021
12-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Don't worry guys, Mr. Body is back. He can worry for all of us.

Obstructed_View
12-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Meaning no disrepect but it sounds like alot of waste of nothing.....Why his name continues to come up is beyond me.

Why you post about the Spurs when you clearly hate them so much is beyond me.

SpurSupremacist
12-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Why are people so worried about Elson Jr. when Bonner is playing outstanding? Has the guy played a single meaningful NBA minute? You would think this guy is Greg Oden or something. People want to call Beno a pussy and lazy and every other thing in the book, but this guy gets a pass? He's fucking soft and frail, it seems like.

benefactor
12-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I mean a lot of disrespect when I say your posts suck and make no sense.
+1

Manufan909
12-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Why are people so worried about Elson Jr. when Bonner is playing outstanding? Has the guy played a single meaningful NBA minute? You would think this guy is Greg Oden or something. People want to call Beno a pussy and lazy and every other thing in the book, but this guy gets a pass? He's fucking soft and frail, it seems like.

He's gotten a pass from 10% of the board, everyone else has written him off as a bust. Why can't you count correctly?

MarHill
12-12-2008, 11:02 PM
I just hope he gets a chance to play with the Spurs this season. They need to see what he can do....if he helps us that will be a bonus!

DROB4EVER
12-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Im hoping the spurs are gonna roll him out at mid seasons so we get stronger as the year goes on. I think hes gonna be a good player and many GMs have commented they think he has all star ability. My only concerns are is he gonna get hurt every other game or will he have real problems staying out of foul trouble.

DPG21920
12-12-2008, 11:14 PM
People are concerned because those of us that have watched him are excited about his potential. It has been a long time since the Spurs have had a young big that people are waiting to see and most of us would like to see him.

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Make a damn effort dude. You're looking like a soft douche that cant come off an ankle sprain that feels like it happened years ago. Geez

wat u expect man, his french hahahhaa

fkn busts

Gino2882
12-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Well it is certainly concerning that he is simply sitting on the bench. The fact he is not even playing in the d-league, is obviously not a good sign for his conditioning. If/When he is cleared to play this season, he will probably head to the d-league, again, to work on his conditioning.

Then probably get hurt again and be shut down. I am not a doctor, but it appears like at no point this season did Mahinmi's ankle become healthy. He has basically struggled all year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-13-2008, 02:38 AM

I still say his nickname should be the French Fagguette

You wankers have obviously never torn an ankle ligament then. Hard cast generally equals torn ligament, and that is a long rehab job. I've torn ankle ligaments three times and it's no picnic.

What, like your posts? He was a first round draft pick who has played a few games in the NBA and showed huge potential upside. He also had a fantastic season in the DL last year, averaging 17/8.

You, Mrs Purs, are the waste of space, and continue to display your ignorance of all things Spurs. :rolleyes

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Why are people so worried about Elson Jr. when Bonner is playing outstanding? Has the guy played a single meaningful NBA minute? (1) You would think this guy is Greg Oden or something. People want to call Beno a pussy and lazy and every other thing in the book, but this guy gets a pass? He's fucking soft and frail, it seems like.(2)

(1) He's played in 6 games. Meaningful is up for discussion.

(2) Soft and frail because he tore ankle ligaments? GTFOH moron. You end up in a cast it's a serious injury.

Obstructed_View
12-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Wow, were the knee jerks out in force like this when Manu started his Spurs career with a sprained ankle?

Austin_Toros
12-13-2008, 05:32 AM

first, LOLOLOL!!
:lmao

second, you are partly right (i mean, the guys barely played and keeps getting injured) and partly wrong (still you, probably play in the future and we havnt seen him at full strength!)

i cant wait to see mahinmi at FULL STRENGTH playing some decent minutes

mrspurs
12-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Well it is certainly concerning that he is simply sitting on the bench. The fact he is not even playing in the d-league, is obviously not a good sign for his conditioning. If/When he is cleared to play this season, he will probably head to the d-league, again, to work on his conditioning.

Then probably get hurt again and be shut down. I am not a doctor, but it appears like at no point this season did Mahinmi's ankle become healthy. He has basically struggled all year.

Id say he's been struggling since 2005 and getting worse. At least there' some kind of improvement.

gospursgojas
12-13-2008, 06:49 PM
I'd say he's a bust when the front office did jack shit to shore up the low post this summer. Unless you think they are excited about throwing Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto at the Lakers front line in the playoffs. And if you do, you'd be wrong.

+1 :tu

The Truth #6
12-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Unlike Beno, all the stories/reports I've heard about Ian is how he's working extremely hard on his conditioning and trying to bulk up to play at the NBA level. How anyone could translate that to being lazy is kind of ridiculous.

As Bruno said he wasn't injury prone last year on the D League and it's not his fault (to a point) that Pop didn't want him on the regular roster last year. I would have preferred that he was on the roster last year. I think he definitely could have helped.

It's bad timing and bad luck. It's not like he's the only one who's been snake bit by injuries and bad luck this year. If anything it puts him in good company.

As long as he can come in and be a pest on defense then this year is a success in my opinion.

Looking back, yeah, it would have been better had they picked David Lee but that's not Ian's fault. Don't blame the FO decisions on Ian.

Manufan909
12-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Unlike Beno, all the stories/reports I've heard about Ian is how he's working extremely hard on his conditioning and trying to bulk up to play at the NBA level. How anyone could translate that to being lazy is kind of ridiculous.

As Bruno said he wasn't injury prone last year on the D League and it's not his fault (to a point) that Pop didn't want him on the regular roster last year. I would have preferred that he was on the roster last year. I think he definitely could have helped.

It's bad timing and bad luck. It's not like he's the only one who's been snake bit by injuries and bad luck this year. If anything it puts him in good company.

As long as he can come in and be a pest on defense then this year is a success in my opinion.

Looking back, yeah, it would have been better had they picked David Lee but that's not Ian's fault. Don't blame the FO decisions on Ian.

Wait, David Lee was available??? Shit, hindsight's 20/20, but damn. Hope Ian in the next 2 seasons he can prove to the Spurs he was the better chocie.

If Bonner stays at this level, and Ian proves he deserves real minutes(20 or so), I hope Pop gets rid of small ball for the most part. But if it's Fin over Fab/KT, I'll go with Fin most of the time.

I just want Finley to become the obvious 5th guard over the next several games, Mason really needs to stay at 30 minutes to learn the system completely, Fin already knows it.