PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: No Heroics Required As Spurs Upend Wolves

duncan228
12-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Edit: Updated version.

No heroics required as Spurs upend Wolves (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/No_heroics_required_as_Spurs_upend_Wolves.html)
By Jeff McDonald

MINNEAPOLIS — Spurs point guard Tony Parker arrived at the Target Center on Friday night with a plan. He did not want to score 55 points again.

With memories still dancing in his head of his last visit to Minnesota, when he totaled 55 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds in one of the all-around great games in NBA history, Parker vowed to avoid the easy trap of attempting to repeat the unrepeatable.

“I wanted to get everybody involved,” Parker said, “and make sure I wasn’t forcing it.”

Parker took that after-you ethos to an extreme Friday, going three quarters without a basket in the Spurs’ 98-86 victory over the slumping Timberwolves.

With a strong finishing kick, Parker eventually wound up with 17 points. Tim Duncan also had 17, adding 13 rebounds for the Spurs, while Manu Ginobili, the team’s sixth man for the second straight game, added 16 points.

The Spurs (14-8) won their fifth in a row, their longest winning streak of the season.

Friday’s proceedings bore little resemblance to the teams’ Nov. 5 meeting, a back-and-forth carnival of can-you-top-this that the Spurs survived, 129-125 in two overtimes.

The difference started with Parker, who decided beforehand that it would be foolish to come out firing for a 55-point repeat. Instead of looking for his shot in the opening stages of the game, Parker looked for other players.

For a scoring guard like Parker, it was akin to asking a duck not to quack. Yet he somehow managed.

At half, Parker had zero points and had tried five field goals. Going into the fourth, he had one point and was still basket-less.

“It was hard for me not to go to the basket the first three quarters,” Parker said. “I was just thinking, ‘I’m coming, I’m coming.’ I knew I was going to be aggressive in the fourth quarter.”

After sitting on the launch pad for three quarters, Parker finally lifted off in the fourth. He scored 16 points in the final frame — more than in any quarter of his 55-point epic — as the Spurs blew apart what, until then, had been a fairly tight game.

Parker, who made 7 of 10 shots in the fourth after starting 0 for 5, also finished with nine assists.

Unlike his last visit to the Target Center, Parker’s performance wasn’t tell-your-grandchildren-about-it good. To Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, it was better than just good enough.

“He was fantastic,” Popovich said. “It was a great example of him controlling the tempo, controlling what’s going on.”

Al Jefferson, taking his nightly place as a transcendent player on an awful team, notched a 29-point, 13-rebound double-double to lead Minnesota, which has lost eight in a row.

Playing their third game since Kevin McHale replaced Randy Wittman as head coach, the Timberwolves (4-18) hung close for three quarters. Heading into the fourth, the Spurs had done just enough to carry a 66-57 lead.

Then, at long last, it was Tony Time.

For three quarters, Parker had resisted the urge to just fling up jumpers. He distributed the ball. He managed the game.

And McHale couldn’t believe his luck. In November, it had taken a superhuman effort from Parker for the Spurs to escape the Target Center, by the hair of Popovich’s chinny-chin-chin.

The guy wearing Parker’s No. 9 jersey Friday was looking, well, kind of human.

Until the fourth quarter.

Parker opened the frame with a two-minute series that, perhaps due to an editing mix-up, might have come from the highlight reel of his 55-point game.

Sixty-one seconds in, he up-faked past Sebastian Telfair for his first basket of the night. Thirty seconds later, he went contortionist to finish a drive in traffic. Thirty-two seconds after that, Parker sprinted coast-to-coast for another layup.

“In the fourth quarter, he started being Tony,” Ginobili said.

With 9:39 remaining, Duncan hit Michael Finley with a court-length pass for a basket, and the Spurs had their largest lead at 76-60.

Parker wasn’t done — he still had 10 points left in him — but for all intents and purposes, the Timberwolves were. Parker had done in Minnesota again, but in an entirely different way.

Precisely as he had planned it.

ducks
12-12-2008, 11:32 PM
tp played the manu role in the 4 tonight

duncan228
12-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Love savors Duncan rematch (http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/36090949.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX)
By Brian Stensaas

In only his fourth NBA game Nov. 5, Timberwolves rookie Kevin Love drew perhaps the toughest assignment of his entire playing career: going toe to toe with San Antonio star Tim Duncan.

Love fared well in the game, eventually won by the Spurs in two overtimes. He finished within an eyelash of his first career double-double, scoring 14 points and grabbing nine rebounds. One of his three blocks came on a layup attempt by Duncan in the second quarter.

As the teams prepared to play again Friday at Target Center, Love was eager to get another crack at the future Hall of Famer.

"That was exciting," Love said of the season's first matchup. "Every time I get to match up against a guy like that it's always going to be fun, always going to be competitive."

Kevin McHale watched the game as a Timberwolves executive rather than the team's coach at the time. He was lukewarm on Love's play against Duncan, saying simply, "He had a really nice game."

Love, meanwhile, was happy to be mentioned in the same sentence as Duncan. A basketball junkie, Love said Duncan was one of a handful of players he emulated growing up.

One of the things Love said he needs to work on is controlling his frustration. Wiping a hand in front of his face as an actor might to do get in character, Love lauded Duncan's trademark stone-faced play.

"Regardless if he's having a terrible game, regardless if he's having a great game, it's just that," Love said.

He then recalled a television commercial in which Duncan refrains from blinking despite a flurry of activity.

"That's what I think of when I think of him," Love said. "Huge fundamental guy, fun to watch. And I think of winning, too."

Duncan did that Friday, getting 17 points and 13 rebounds in the Spurs' 98-86 victory. Love scored 19 but got only two rebounds.

duncan228
12-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Wolves retreat at take-charge time (http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/36073524.html?elr=KArks:DCiUo3PD:3D_V_qD3L:c7cQKUi D3aPc:_Yyc:aUU)
There were no off-the-charts numbers from Tony Parker or daggers from Manu Ginobili, but the Spurs broke down the Wolves after the break and cruised.
By Brian Stensaas

So how tough is San Antonio?

A little more than five weeks after Tony Parker dropped 55 points on the Timberwolves in a two-overtime thriller, the Spurs guard did not score a point until he made a free-throw with 6 minutes, 18 seconds were left in the third quarter Friday.

Yet he still got his.

Parker scored eight points in the first 2:07 of the fourth quarter, and wound up with 17 for the game, tying Tim Duncan for team highs as the Spurs took a 98-86 victory.

Timberwolves coach Kevin McHale lamented before Friday's game against San Antonio that, so far, his team had little time to get used to his systems since he took over four days earlier.

In fact, Minnesota has had one more full-time coach this season (two) than full practices this week (one).

One can wonder if one more practice might have made a difference against the Spurs. Despite staying close for much of the game, the Wolves just couldn't get over the top.

The game began to crumble in the third quarter.

It was a 41-41 tie at the half. The Spurs outscored Minnesota 25-16 in the third period.

The intensity was there at times. Strong defense that might have come in handy against Denver on Wednesday, particularly in the third quarter when Carmelo Anthony tied an NBA record with 33 points, did come through.

Early in the third quarter Friday, Wolves forward Craig Smith -- starting for the third consecutive game -- wrestled Matt Bonner to the floor going for the ball. The play resulted in a foul for Smith, but the high-energy play was appreciated by the announced crowd of 15,336.

However, there was a lack of firepower on offense. A string of missed shots to open the fourth quarter triggered a chorus of boos.

Rashad McCants shot 3-for-13 in the game, and errant passes plagued the Wolves down the stretch.

Minnesota got to the free-throw line only 18 times, three days after shooting a season-high 43 free-throws against Utah.

George Hill and Manu Ginobili traded three-pointers to open the second quarter, countering some solid Wolves offense. McCants -- coming in off the bench with Mike Miller finally healthy after missing the previous four games because of a sprained right ankle -- had his lone shining moment when he made two jump shots in between the three-pointers by Ginobili and Hill.

It was 19-19 after the first quarter. Al Jefferson started the game slowly, going 1-for-5 in the first 6 minutes. His teammates, though, picked up the slack.

The Wolves went on an 8-0 run over a 2:28 span midway through the quarter, leading by as many as six points

Jefferson wound up leading the Wolves with 29 points.

Blackjack
12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Not a real pretty win, but definitely some positives to take from this game.

Bonner- The guy is playing with a confidence/purpose, that was once thought to be unimaginable. His sniper accuracy, solid rebounding, and infectious energy/hustle, has taken him from Pop's doghouse, to being a legit starter on a championship caliber team. Who would've thunk.:wow

Hill- Tonight was the kind of night that really excites me about Hill. While his numbers were nothing off the chart, he was one of the biggest reasons the Spurs were able to finally get some seperation from the Wolves. His defense, rebounding, nose for the ball, and ability to make the right pass or play, has really been impressive. He's not so much creating with his passing, but at this stage of his development, (for the most part) he gets it to the right people, at the right time, with a pass that's accurate enough for the receiver to shoot in rhythm or make a play. Often times you see Hill with the "hockey-assist",(the assist leading to the assist) which shows the type of BBIQ and unselfishness he possesses. In other words, he's a winner.

Thomas- It looks to me that Kurt is finally starting to get his legs under him. He had some very nice rotations, played solid help-defense, and generally battled in the paint. Minnesota has bigs more conducive to Kurt's style, so it would make sense that he would get and play better minutes in a game like tonight, but it looks like he's still got enough in the tank to be an asset when the right matchups are presented.

The team as a whole, looks to be finding their collective rhythm, and getting comfortable playing with each other. The chemistry isn't quite there yet, but it looks to be nothing more than a matter of time barring injuries.(knock on wood)

The Spurs still might need to make a small to minor deal to win the title, but you've got to be pretty optimistic about this team. They've got more firepower/depth than they've had in awhile, and they're still capable of playing lock-down defense. Not a bad combination to have.:flag:

mystargtr34
12-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Kevin Love scored 19?

Maybe if you count pre game shootaround.

Reck
12-13-2008, 03:05 AM
Kevin Love scored 19?

Maybe if you count pre game shootaround.

That's what I was gonna say.

He only scored I think was 4 points. lol

duncan228
12-13-2008, 03:11 AM
:lol It was Foye that had 19. Love did have 4. And he had 10 boards, not 2. (Foye had the 2, I guess he just switched their box).

At least McDonald isn't the only mistake prone beat writer.

Bender
12-13-2008, 05:37 AM
At half, Parker had zero points and had tried five field goals. Going into the fourth, he had one point and was still basket-less.
I wonder if we will ever see that again. I doubt it.

When I saw the full-court pass by Tim to Finley, and the finish by Finley... deja vu.