PDA

View Full Version : Chizik's going to Auburn

j-6
12-13-2008, 04:59 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=496642

Auburn has hired Gene Chizik as its head football coach, The Birmingham News and Rivals.com are both reporting.

Chizik was Iowa State's head coach the last two seasons. The Cyclones were 5-19 under Chizik. Iowa State finished 2-10 (0-8 in the Big 12) in 2008.

Chizik was Auburn's defensive coordinator from 2002-2004. He served as Texas' defensive coordinator the two years after that.

Chizik replaces Tommy Tuberville as the Tigers' head coach.

Auburn has also interviewed Tulsa coach Todd Graham, Ball State coach Brady Hoke, Louisiana Tech's Derek Dooley, Buffalo coach Turner Gill, Georgia assistant Rodney Garner and University of Miami offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, The Birmingham News reports.

=================================================

Good hire, War Eagle. This just made too much sense not to happen.

word
12-13-2008, 05:54 PM
We all new his life at ISU was shortlived. Never 'got' that move. I'd have stayed at Texas and waited out the Auburn job.

K-State Spur
12-13-2008, 06:56 PM
That makes about as much sense as the Patriots firing Belichick and hiring Ron Prince to replace him.

If ISU were to replace Chizik with Tuberville - which school would you say has improved their head coaching situation?

j-6
12-13-2008, 07:16 PM
That makes about as much sense as the Patriots firing Belichick and hiring Ron Prince to replace him.

If ISU were to replace Chizik with Tuberville - which school would you say has improved their head coaching situation?

They should have never fired Tommy in the first place. I think that Chizik's the best guy for the job if Tuberville isn't available.

K-State Spur
12-13-2008, 07:39 PM
I think that Chizik's the best guy for the job if Tuberville isn't available.

Based on what? His 0-8 record in the Big 12 NORTH this past season?

Ron Prince accomplished more the past 2 years...

DMX7
12-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Coming off a 2-10 record? Hard to believe the fan base or recruits will get too excited about him.

Marklar MM
12-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Coming off a 2-10 record? Hard to believe the fan base or recruits will get too excited about him.

I am pretty sure they are pissed at the AD for passing on more qualified coaches.

DMX7
12-14-2008, 02:32 AM
I am pretty sure they are pissed at the AD for passing on more qualified coaches.

The people they interviewed weren't exactly big names. Hard to believe they couldn't get somebody better.

j-6
12-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Based on what? His 0-8 record in the Big 12 NORTH this past season?

Ron Prince accomplished more the past 2 years...

I thought firing Prince was a bad idea, too. That said, Iowa State's the hardest job in the Big 12, and Chizik's going into a situation with existing talent. I'd bolt too.

K-State Spur
12-14-2008, 11:39 AM
I thought firing Prince was a bad idea, too. That said, Iowa State's the hardest job in the Big 12, and Chizik's going into a situation with existing talent. I'd bolt too.

I was in Prince's corner for a long time - but he went 0-9 against his 3 primary rivals, and 8 of those were complete ass-kickings. He was trending in the wrong direction.

I'll also say that Baylor is a tougher job than ISU.

Finally, I don't think anybody would argue that Chizik hasn't upgraded in jobs. The question is why the hell did Auburn want him?

samikeyp
12-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I was in Prince's corner for a long time - but he went 0-9 against his 3 primary rivals, and 8 of those were complete ass-kickings. He was trending in the wrong direction.

I'll also say that Baylor is a tougher job than ISU.

Finally, I don't think anybody would argue that Chizik hasn't upgraded in jobs. The question is why the hell did Auburn want him?

He was the D-Coordinator there before moving to UT...sounds like he still has friends there.

K-State Spur
12-14-2008, 01:23 PM
He was the D-Coordinator there before moving to UT...sounds like he still has friends there.

Yeah, I know the connections.

But it's a rare day when you can fail miserably at one job, then get offered one of the top 20 jobs in the country.

samikeyp
12-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I know the connections.

But it's a rare day when you can fail miserably at one job, then get offered one of the top 20 jobs in the country.

True.

Maybe he has pics of Auburn's AD and a monkey in a thong. :lol

Kermit
12-14-2008, 04:11 PM
True.

Maybe he has pics of Auburn's AD and a monkey in a thong. :lol

Or maybe he's a great coach who chose the wrong job. A job that Vince Lombardi would have a difficult time winning at.

K-State Spur
12-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Or maybe he's a great coach who chose the wrong job. A job that Vince Lombardi would have a difficult time winning at.

so Dan McCarney > Vince Lombardi ?

Kermit
12-14-2008, 04:31 PM
56-85. :lmao:lmao:lmao

5-17 for McCarney's 1st two years. 5-19 For Chizik's. Iowa State sucks balls and it would've taken forever to win there. McCarney's sixth year in fact. Perhaps you can stop being a Ron Prince taint licker (who is not remotely relevant in the conversation) and tell us all what Chizik did prior to the Iowa State gig to nowhere. What made him one of the hottest coaching commodities in the nation? Hmmm? Is Chizik better than Tuberville? No. But that's Auburn's dumbass fault for firing the best coach they'll ever have (maybe Shug, but I wasn't alive back then). Anybody would've failed miserably at Iowa State, even Ron Prince. Hell, even that old douchebag who took Ron Prince's job.

chode_regulator
12-14-2008, 04:41 PM
apparently not even auburn fans want him

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Gene-Chizik-meet-Auburn-s-finest-torches-and-pi?urn=ncaaf,128957

K-State Spur
12-14-2008, 04:49 PM
The program was in much better shape when McCarney left it for Chizik than when he took over - so comparing their first 2 years is irrelevant.

McCarney consistently had ISU in the 5-7 win range. Nothing spectacular, but always in the hunt for a bowl game. Chizik won 5 games...total...in 2 years. And a 2-14 conference record despite playing in the much weaker division.

Nobody was asking Chizik to dominate the conference. But to consistently get his ass served to him on a platter by guys like Dan Hawkins, Bill Callahan, Mark Mangino, Ron Prince, and Mike Sherman is probably not what the Clone fans had in mind either.

You can argue that he might not have had the talent with regards to the rest of the conference (although their talent was on par with some teams) - but ISU definitely had more talent than Northern Iowa, Kent State, Toledo, and UNLV. And he got beat by those guys too.

It could be argued that he did great things at Auburn & Texas - and to some extent that is true. But it should also be noted that at both of those locations, he was coaching units that were filled with NFL talent and had vastly better athletes than the opposition. It would appear that if he doesn't have a HUGE talent advantage, he's not going to be able to win. And if he can't recruit more talent than schools like KU, KSU, Baylor, or even the MAC teams that beat him - how is going to recruit more talent than Florida, Alabama, or Georgia????

And, btw, did you even read my Prince post in this thread - it wasn't a positive one. Saying that Prince accomplished more than Chizik the past 2 years (and he did) was NOT meant as a compliment to either man.

Kermit
12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
The program was in much better shape when McCarney left it for Chizik than when he took over - so comparing their first 2 years is irrelevant.

McCarney consistently had ISU in the 5-7 win range. Nothing spectacular, but always in the hunt for a bowl game. Chizik won 5 games...total...in 2 years. And a 2-14 conference record despite playing in the much weaker division.

Nobody was asking Chizik to dominate the conference. But to consistently get his ass served to him on a platter by guys like Dan Hawkins, Bill Callahan, Mark Mangino, Ron Prince, and Mike Sherman is probably not what the Clone fans had in mind either.

You can argue that he might not have had the talent with regards to the rest of the conference (although their talent was on par with some teams) - but ISU definitely had more talent than Northern Iowa, Kent State, Toledo, and UNLV. And he got beat by those guys too.

It could be argued that he did great things at Auburn & Texas - and to some extent that is true. But it should also be noted that at both of those locations, he was coaching units that were filled with NFL talent and had vastly better athletes than the opposition. It would appear that if he doesn't have a HUGE talent advantage, he's not going to be able to win. And if he can't recruit more talent than schools like KU, KSU, Baylor, or even the MAC teams that beat him - how is going to recruit more talent than Florida, Alabama, or Georgia????

And, btw, did you even read my Prince post in this thread - it wasn't a positive one. Saying that Prince accomplished more than Chizik the past 2 years (and he did) was NOT meant as a compliment to either man.

4-8 doesn't compute into much better shape. Sorry. And while he did have some winning seasons, it took him 6 years to get there.The North might be weak but Iowa State sucks so bad it wouldn't matter is they played in Conference USA. Chizik was coaching McCarney players. Getting served by Mangina, Prince, and Hawkins really isn't that much of an insult. These are coaches who beat Stoops and Brown in the last two years. You can make the talent argument. We'll see whether or not it rings true. I think that he's going to have success but whether or not he'll have enough time to get that success is another story all together. If Auburn wanted a coach better than Chizik, they shouldn't have fired Tuberville. And no, I hadn't studied your Prince post. My apologies. Congrants though for a well thought out, well reasoned argument. It's rare in this forum.

Kermit
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM