PDA

View Full Version : Would the Knicks ever cut him???

xcoriate
02-25-2005, 03:41 AM
Lets face it the reason the Knicks did this deal was for the picks we gave them not Malik. They now have something like 7 PFs, talk about a log jam.

Now I dont want to instill false hope, but the Knicks really need to offload a couple of these guys in the near future, they have way too many.

I don't even know if this is possible but you never know.

2pac
02-25-2005, 03:44 AM
You think they want to eat 27mil?

xcoriate
02-25-2005, 03:51 AM
They have to any way and that team just doesnt seem to want to save money only spend it. Remember its the Knicks.

Notorious H.O.P.
02-25-2005, 11:06 AM
They ate 20 million on Shandon Anderson's contract but that's because of issues going on with Isiah and Shandon. There was an intense dislike going on there and Shandon was becoming a major distraction to the Knicks. Malik won't behave the same way and Isiah is better served trying to unload one of his extra guys in the offseason. At the very least, he'll try to stick with Rose for a couple of years to see what happens. Then again, even though New York is stocked with undersized front line players, I think Malik will get to time over Taylor because Malik brings more to the table. If Malik blossoms in New York, he might be the one traded in the offseason.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 11:09 AM
what did thomas want with him is my quesrion, what is he trying to build out there?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
what did thomas want with him is my quesrion, what is he trying to build out there?

A five-PF set.

I was so dead set on seeing the Warriors put 5 PG's on the floor this season, too, damnit.

Useruser666
02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
A monster!

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 11:22 AM
i mean he has to have a method to his madness, but this makes no sense to me, there are maybe 4 teams in this league that need a player like Malik's services: Minnesota, Detroit (they always love size), Dallas, and Houston; new york needs a lot but Malik doesnt fi there at all.

sungo99
02-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Theoretically the Knicks and Rose could negotiate a buy out and then Malik would be free to sign with whomever he chose for whatever salary he chose. The Knicks could give him $15 million lump sum and then he could resign for the Spurs for 4 years $12 million. Same total amount of money.

timvp
02-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Malik Rose is going to tear up the East. They won't cut him.

nbascribe
02-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Malik does something for the Knicks that Thomas and the others won't do........hustle!!!

The Knicks have been after Malik for almost three seasons so cutting him is definitely not in their plans.

boutons
02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
"new york needs a lot but Malik doesnt fi there at all."

hmm, would recommend that Malik rent rather than buy? :)

(not that either gets you much in NYC).

I bet Malik's $3M one-time kicker, and entire pay pkg, will be seriously munched by NY city and state taxes.

whottt
02-25-2005, 11:33 AM

He's trying to recreate the the back to back champion Pistons.

Isaiah thinks he can get steals in the later parts of the draft, get his types of players later in the draft, and do it cheaply....and actually there is reason to think he can do just this based on pass drafts. He's also throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks when it comes to bigs. He's got tremendous financial resources and he is taking full of advantage of them.

Look at the type of player Isaiah was, the background he comes out of, and it's not that hard to see what he is trying to do...

You gotta remember...Isaiah was a tough win at all costs player who cared more about winning than protecting his own body...who played with two freaks that would put winning ahead of protecting their own bodies, in Lambeer and Rodman...

It's easy to see why he was so often tempted to add Malik to that lackluster Knicks team...Malik is a lot closer to a Rodman or a Lambeeir, in terms of desire, than Kurt Thomas or Mohammed.

I personally don't think he's doing that bad of a job...#1.He is hamstrung capwise just because of the stupid Houston contract...he's no RC Buford full of slick frugal manuvers...but he is getting guys that want to win on that team, and he doesn't have much patience for guys that just want to put up numbers.

Stephon Marbury is very much the type of guard that Isaiah was...and Malik is very similar to the types of bigs that helped the Piston's win two NBA titles...he's got two leaders on that team now that want to win and will play hard at all times...he's improving the Knicks losing culture slowly but surely...he's probably not doing it as well and as quickly as he could be...and it's just not that impressive because of all the money he is spending to do it.

I think he was smart to go after Marbury though...and I think this trade with Malik is one of his best trades.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
marbury has been getting so much criticism for this season for beign everything Isiah was not though, selfish and and a shoot first guard, that i mja suprised you think that deal was a good one, especially wosidering who he traded to get Marbury, look at the season McDyess is having with limited minutes over there in detroit, i think keeping him would have been better, but i agree with you on one thing whottt, there is not way getting Malik could hurt the Knicks (that is assuming he doesn't commit suicide or become so depressed once he gets there that he no longer plays with passion).

whottt
02-25-2005, 12:25 PM
marbury has been getting so much criticism for this season for beign everything Isiah was not though, selfish and and a shoot first guard, that i mja suprised you think that deal was a good one, especially wosidering who he traded to get Marbury,look at the season McDyess is having with limited minutes over there in detroit, i think keeping him would have been better

LOL! Those people most making that criticism most definitely never saw Isiah play...in the closing minutes of a game you'd have to kill Isiah to get that ball out of his hands.

He was one of the original shoot first PGs...

Marbury is a ball hog, but he also brings it every freaking game and he can will a team to a win.

He's not the Steve Nash or Kidd type of PG...but that doesn't mean he's not a guy that can win a title.

This dude nearly bumped us off the year we won a title...

Duncan hurt him on a pick and this little man went back and inflicted some serious pain on Duncan...

He might be a ballhog...but he wants to win badly and he is a tough competitor. I think it was a good trade...it got the Knicks back to the playoffs.

What did Isiah give back?

Mcdyess, Lampe and some draft picks? For a dominant scoring threat like Marbury? It's not like Dice was a sure thing to return...and I wouldn't think it's a better idea to keep a bit player over a SuperStar guard.

No, there is no way it was a better idea to not do that trade just so you could keep McDyess.

but i agree with you on one thing whottt, there is not way getting Malik could hurt the Knicks (that is assuming he doesn't commit suicide or become so depressed once he gets there that he no longer plays with passion).

To win with Marbury, Isiah needs to build a tough defensive team with competitive bigs who want to rebound the ball to get it to Marbury...

I'm not saying Marbury is as good as Isiah was by the way...Isaiah was a much better defender...but IMO Marbury is that same type of tough gritty competitor...who looks to score first..and who wants that ball with the game on the line.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 12:32 PM
well if you say so, that isn't the image i have of isiah in his prime, but i cant call myself a basketball expert of the early 90's either.

BTW didn't you say you went to school with Rod Stricklin because he looked quite old yesterday and i always pictured you as a younger guy.

Spurminator
02-25-2005, 12:33 PM
You mean, League... PASS?

whottt
02-25-2005, 12:36 PM
well if you say so, that isn't the image i have of isiah in his prime, but i cant call myself a basketball expert of the early 90's either.

Isiah was a shootfirst PG...and luckily for his teamates and him, the Pistons built a team where him shooting the ball was usually what was best for the team. This is not to discount the contributions of Dumars to those titles...but he only got the ball because he won Isiah's respect and trust...Marbury will do the same I think for the right player, now that he has matured.

Marbury has a bad rap kind of like AI...

He tried to play team ball in the Olympics...

And you know what? When we lost, while Duncan pouted and said his FIBA career was over...Marbury said right then and there that he would be back in 4 years to represent his country...he's a competitor.

BTW didn't you say you went to school with Rod Stricklin because he looked quite old yesterday and i always pictured you as a younger guy.

LMAO! What can I say? Acting like an immature ass on the internet is a good thing I guess :)...

I did go to school with him and Strickland's not old damn you!

ducks
02-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I Think They Would Cut I Thomas First

T Park
02-25-2005, 01:05 PM
stephon marbury is a loser period.

Everywhere he goes he loses.

Every team he leaves gets better.

Coincidence??? nopers.

whottt
02-25-2005, 01:09 PM
stephon marbury is a loser period.

Everywhere he goes he loses.

Every team he leaves gets better.

Coincidence??? nopers.

Actually, the only time that has truly happened was with the Nets...and that was due as much to the emergence of KMart as anything else...and how are the Nets doing now?

The Knicks got better and made the playoffs after trading for him last season...and the Suns went into the toilet...and the Suns gave us one hell of a fight with Marbury when we met them in the playoffs...

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 02:44 PM
well the suns are better now but they weren't when they shipped him off, and yes Whottt 38 aint young my friend, im sorry to tell you.

whottt
02-25-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm not 38, I'm 36. As for that being old...check back with me when you get here and see if you still feel that way.

Shelly
02-25-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm not 38, I'm 36. As for that being old...check back with me when you get here and see if you still feel that way.

uh...you might want to look at RtD's profile...

whottt
02-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Holeee Shit! I thought he was a damn kid! It looks like I'm not the only one who passes himself off as younger by acting immature.

Fuck! R2D is older than dirt!

Which is kind of confusing...why does he need to ask what Isiah played like and what Drob played like...

And Shelly...thanks for the tip, why am I not surprised that you are helpful on the subject of old age :).

waly.mg
02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
With Isiah, everything is possible

Shelly
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
And Shelly...thanks for the tip, why am I not surprised that you are helpful on the subject of old age .

HEY!

:lol

RobinsontoDuncan
02-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Holeee Shit! I thought he was a damn kid! It looks like I'm not the only one who passes himself off as younger by acting immature.

Fuck! R2D is older than dirt!

Which is kind of confusing...why does he need to ask what Isiah played like and what Drob played like...

And Shelly...thanks for the tip, why am I not surprised that you are helpful on the subject of old age :).

because i was a workaholic criminal attorney in the early 90's working 100 hours a week whottt. I really only became a basketball fan in 1998 when I was reading an article about David Robinson in the paper, I found out about all the great things he did and thought i would probably want to watch him play, I have been a spurs fan ever since

wildbill2u
02-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Lets face it the reason the Knicks did this deal was for the picks we gave them not Malik. They now have something like 7 PFs, talk about a log jam.

Now I dont want to instill false hope, but the Knicks really need to offload a couple of these guys in the near future, they have way too many.

I don't even know if this is possible but you never know.

Don't those who like Malik's game think he won't be able to make the starting lineup? Can't have it both ways.

MannyIsGod
02-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Damn, does that mean when I become an attorney I'll never get to see the games? FUCK!

pooh
02-25-2005, 06:46 PM

I'll let you know what 38 feels like on Sunday whottt.

johnny00
02-25-2005, 08:59 PM
:lmao